Sitting Like a Lady

May 10, 2010

Mother’s Day started with a bang.  Literally.  As I got a head start on the laundry Sunday morning (or so I thought) parts of our washing machine suddenly detached and made the scariest noise I have ever heard.  Needless to say the machine is no longer usable, and what better timing for the machine to break than a Sunday when a week’s worth of laundry needs to be done?

So I ended up spending the better part of Mother’s Day at Best Buy searching for a new washer/dryer and then lugging two giant trash bags of dirty clothes to my in-laws place so that Ali and Maya would have clean socks to wear this week.  Happy Mother’s Day to me!

My marathon laundry aside, the day wasn’t without its share of perks…

What holiday isn’t great when gifts from Anthropologie are involved?

And would it really be a holiday if my mother-in-law didn’t give me a pair of gorgeous shoes?

Maya made me a place mat so that there was no confusion as to why my presence is tolerated around here:

Flowers were also involved…some real:

Some better than real:

But the highlight of the day was that both lunch and dinner were provided and I didn’t have to cook or move a single dish.  What could be better?

Maybe getting my daughter to stop slurping her tea and getting her to sit like a lady.

Well I guess there is always next year, right?

What was the highlight of your weekend?

1. May 10, 2010 8:54 am

Well. Gucci sandals makes motherhood sound *that* much more enticing.

Happy belated mother’s day lovely!

2. May 10, 2010 8:57 am

That placemat is hilarious!

3. May 10, 2010 9:00 am

I only hope that I can get inlaw’s as great as yours! Does your husband have any younger brothers?

4. May 10, 2010 9:05 am

Whew, glad I’m not the only one who waits till Sunday to do all of the laundry! Happy (late) Mother’s Day!

5. May 10, 2010 9:14 am

Looks like a wonderful day! Happy Mother’s Day!

6. May 10, 2010 9:15 am

Lovin those Gucci sandals!

Washing machine problems stink. I hope you didn’t end up with water on the floor!

7. May 10, 2010 9:22 am

Cute shoes! And Anthropologie is always a highlight! Maya is so funny. She’ll laugh at that picture later.

I hope you got your washer/dryer! I feel totally disheleved if I can’t get laundry done!

8. May 10, 2010 9:31 am

aww the placemate!! Toooo funny 🙂

9. fitandfortysomething permalink
    May 10, 2010 9:31 am

looks like you had a great day!

10. actorsdiet permalink
    May 10, 2010 9:36 am

other than the washing machine, i’m so glad you had a wonderful mother’s day!

11. May 10, 2010 9:46 am

wow what an awesome mother in law! and that placemat is priceless, clearly food is the only reason to keep anyone around 😉

12. May 10, 2010 9:49 am

oh no! that wouldve been so scary. laundry machines make awful noises in general, but ahh way to get the blood pumping on a sunday morning! wow lol

13. May 10, 2010 10:01 am

What a great Mother’s day (other than The washing machine)! Those are some puuurty nice shoes girl! As lovely as orchids are, I’d have to say your fake flower is much more beautiful in so many ways 😀 Glad you had a well deserved lovely Mother’s Day Ameena! Oh and I totally love that place mat. I can’t wait to receive gifts like that from my kiddies.

May 10, 2010 10:13 am

I LOVE that placemat! And the flower – how sweet is that!

Despite the washing machine disaster it sounds like an awesome Mothers Day! You deserve it 🙂

May 10, 2010 10:14 am

Just to clear that up, you deserve the awesome mothers day, not the exploding washing machine!!

16. oc2seattle permalink
    May 10, 2010 10:21 am

LOL at the placemat! Ugh, on the washing machine – what timing. Hopefully the sandals and not having to cook made up for it a bit. I was grateful all weekend for SUN in SEATTLE! A gorgeous weekend that I spent largely outdoors playing tennis. Back to rain again today, of course 😉

17. May 10, 2010 11:00 am

Gucci sandals?! Heck yes!

That placemat is so sweet!

18. May 10, 2010 11:09 am

Gucci!!!! How wonderful… I’m still waiting for my first indulgence in shoes of such fabulousness! 🙂

I’m glad you had a good Mother’s Day (laundry aside)!

19. May 10, 2010 11:59 am

I love the top! And I agree – not having to cook is all one can hope for on Mother’s Day. 🙂

20. May 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Love the top–the blue is GORGEOUS!

highlight of my weekend was 1. sleep, and lots of it. 2. Ironman 2!

21. May 10, 2010 12:42 pm

happy belated mother’s day! those shoes are super cute 🙂 sorry you were stuck with laundry doing/buying/schlepping but it sounds like you had a nice day in spite of it all. my mom spent the day ripping up fences in our backyard that a storm blew down. great moms just keep going, full steam ahead it seems 🙂

22. May 10, 2010 12:48 pm

woowee on them sandals!!! uber cutsie!!!! still with the business sounds like a good ol mother’s day, and typical day of a mother haha 🙂 im stuck in a cast and couldnt do a thing for my mama. i think she did more for me than i did for her!

23. May 10, 2010 1:34 pm

i wish i could live near ya and go out for nice lunches in the sunshine and stuff. u seem so neat …and well – dressed for that matter 🙂
    nice post and glad the day was overall good.

24. May 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Happy belated Mother’s Day!! That was such a sweet gesture from Maya. I love the better-than-a-real-flower flower 🙂 I guess all the goodies more than made up for the cranky washing machine.

25. May 10, 2010 2:30 pm

You are soooo gorgeous – seriously.
    Happy Mom’s Day! Sucks about the laundry…but that beautiful blue shirt and sandals would TOTALLY make up for it 🙂

How’s the book writing going?

26. May 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Hehe, my mom never succeeded in getting me to sit like a lady, sorry Ameena, there might not be any hope! 😉

Happy Mother’s Day to you!! 🙂 Such sweet gifts!!

27. May 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Bummer about the washing machine but you got some good stuff for Mother’s Day! That would have definitely made me smile! 🙂

28. May 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Sorry about the washer, it couldn’t have happened at a worse time…but it still looks like it was a pretty fantastic Mother’s Day! Your gifts are so sweet, I especially love that placemat. And your new shoes are gorgeous!

29. May 10, 2010 3:47 pm

Aw, bummer about the washing machine! Maybe it was a fluke, and just didn’t want you to do laundry on mother’s day and it will magically be fixed next time you want to use it? Maybe? 😛
    Sounds like otherwise you had a great day – love the placemat, hehe.
    This weekend, I loved making my mom dinner. I love to whenever I can, but I liked making something SHE chose, from start to finish 🙂

30. May 10, 2010 4:10 pm

I’d say those Gucci shoes make up for the rest of the day! I mean, if you don’t want them I’d be SUPER happy to take them off of your hands ;)…
    Happy Mother’s Day to a GREAT mother! (a day late heh)

31. May 10, 2010 4:25 pm

The shoes are cute but the flowers are the best. You are one lucky Mom! I got breakfast from my daughter and she behaved her best all day long. It was an almost stress-less day for me and that was good.

32. May 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Happy Mother’s Day! I always ask for “no cooking, no dishes” for my birthday, but I never get it! I’m glad you had a great day (minus Best Buy, what a pain!)

33. May 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Well that’s certainly one way to start the day and ensure that it’s a memorable one. Glad you got some special treatment on Mother’s Day, Ameena. You certainly deserve it!

The highlight of my weekend was spending Mother’s Day at the spa with my mom. A little pampering goes a long way.

34. traynharder23 permalink
    May 10, 2010 6:26 pm

highlight, talking to my coach about how i was feeling. it’s good to get it out!

35. louisianagrown permalink
    May 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Eh, that whole sitting like a lady thing is overrated. To this day I get fussed at in college for having my feet on top of my desk.

36. May 10, 2010 7:59 pm

awww what a great moms day – minus the whole laundry castrophe of course.

37. highonhealthy permalink
    May 10, 2010 9:04 pm

What a nice mother’s day! Minus the laundry.. but the presents look pretty spiffy. 🙂

38. May 10, 2010 9:28 pm

That placement made me laugh! It is so apparent that your daughter inherited your humour.
    I love Anthropologie too..we just got one in Yorkville in Toronto (are you familiar with the area?). It’s very pricey but I love browsing (and occasionally splurging). Your mother’s day gifts are lovely- I’m glad you got to spend the day with Maya and I hope it was great.

• May 11, 2010 6:15 am

I love Yorkville! I bet Anthropologie over there is double the price than it is here!

Is Zazou Restaurant still there? Loved it!

39. May 11, 2010 3:11 am

Happy belated Mother’s Day! Ha, I love that placemat 😉

40. May 11, 2010 4:45 am

It may have started off on the wrong foot, but it looks like you had a lovely mother’s day :).
    p.s. you have one fab mother in law!!!

41. May 11, 2010 6:43 am

Great shoes!

Haha, I love how your daughter is sitting – that’s a kid for ya!

42. May 11, 2010 8:52 am

haha I love that placemat!! Hysetrical.

43. May 11, 2010 8:59 am

Aww I’m sorry about the machine–I’ve gone through something similar!
    But Anthropologie always makes things better, for sure! 🙂

44. May 11, 2010 9:04 am

sounds like you had a nice mother’s day

45. traynharder23 permalink
    May 11, 2010 11:37 am

i am feeling a bit better. today was hard. i’ll talk to him about it later.

hey, that’s a good place to meet. we can then trip on over to trader joe’s and totally just waltz around ogling nut butters and sipping EVEN MORE COFFEE!

46. lowandbhold permalink
    May 11, 2010 11:49 am

What size shoe do you wear? If it’s a six then I’m moving to LA so I can borrow those 🙂

Glad you had a good Mother’s Day, minus the washing machine fiasco.

47. May 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Oh that place mat is just too adorable. hehehe…

Belated Mother’s day to you.

Sorry about the washing machine. That’s a total bummer.

48. May 11, 2010 3:58 pm

LOVE THOSE GUCCI SHOES! So classy 🙂 what a lovely gift! And that flower/placemat from Maya are adorable- such a sweet family…sorry about the washer/dryer issue though, at least everything else turned out nice.

49. May 11, 2010 5:02 pm