Reunited

May 6, 2010

I don’t have many crappy days but yesterday was definitely one of them.  While there were a myriad of reasons why I couldn’t wait for the day to end, I’ll give you the Cliffs Notes version:

1. My presentation at Maya’s school didn’t go as well as I’d hoped.  The kids liked the book but not the samosas.  One kid said “These are too spicy!” and then all hell broke loose and all I could hear were resounding cries of “Yes, too spicy!”  Followed by a chorus of “Hot, hot hot.”  It didn’t help that most kids went to town on the chips and salsa the teachers provided for Cinco de Mayo.  I assumed that letting the teachers know I was bringing a snack ensured there wouldn’t be two afternoon snacks.  Silly me.

Oh and the flags that I’d printed out for the kids to color?  Apparently there was no time for coloring, even though I was well within my 20 minute slot.  Instead the teacher just stuffed one in each child’s mailbox.  We all know that flag went home with an overtired mother who threw it uncolored into the recycling pile along with the rest of the junk mail she had in her hand.

So much for that.

2. After the presentation I took Maya to the park where I proceeded to get into an argument with quite possibly the most annoying 9-year-old I’ve ever encountered.  What was his transgression you ask?  He took Maya’s turn on the spinner.  He literally just pushed her out of the way and hopped on.  I told him he needed to get off and wait his turn but all he did was scream a bunch of very obnoxious words right in my face.  So even though the voice of reason told me to walk away I put my foot on the spinner so he couldn’t move and I told him to get off.  Then his equally annoying mother comes over and says, “Oh, he was waiting in line over by the swings, he was next!”  Call me crazy but the line by the swings is the line for…the swings!

I’ll spare you the lengthy details of our 5 minute conversation but imagine an annoying kid yelling rude things and pointing at me while his mother looks on and laughs.  And there you have another reason why I hate living in Los Angeles.

3. After dinner Maya and I had some words about why she didn’t eat her lunch.  Again.  “I was too full, Mama.” Funny she should mention that because the little traitor had no problem filling up on the chips and salsa at snack time.  Apparently my samosas were “too spicy” for her too.  The evening ended with me force-feeding her the rest of her lunch while I worried she would throw up on me out of spite.

But since today is a new day with a low risk of vomit and park arguments can I share with you one of the few good things that happened yesterday?  Remember the terrible customer service I experienced regarding my defective sweater?  Well my sweater and I were reunited thanks to a kind manager at Cusp who had a new, hole-free sweater shipped from Boston for me.  She also said that if it rips again I can return it with no problem.

I have no idea why this particular sweater makes me so happy but I am going to go with it.  Life is too short to dwell on the negatives for too long.

1. May 6, 2010 8:37 pm

oh those children with their sensitive tongues!!! glad you got the sweater hole patched up though!!!

2. May 6, 2010 9:21 pm

Wow its one thing for kids to be silly and selfish – but parents too? – sad day!

I am glad you finally got your sweater and good customer service!

3. May 6, 2010 10:10 pm

sorry the presentation didn’t go so well. years down the road i’m sure Maya won’t remember how badly it went but that you actually took the time to do it for her.
    ok seriously, some parents need to get a hold of their kids. another good reason why i’d rather be uptight 😉
    yay for getting a new sweater! hope tomorrow is a better day.

4. May 7, 2010 4:38 am

Yeah I agree with the others. Kids are pretty sensitive to foods. Especially when today, all they eat is over processed, over flavored, over chemicaled crap. Not your fault though. It’s really a shame that you went to all of that trouble and the teacher handled the class so poorly. She should’ve prepared you better, and she should’ve been better prepared herself!

That is a pretty sweater. 🙂

5. May 7, 2010 5:08 am

“Life is too short to dwell on negatives for too long” Amen sister! So true.
    Oh kids. They are tough critics.. I know I wouldn’t like to have to do a presentation for them! And the kid at the park?! Wow. That is why I work with ages 7 and below ha not that they don’t have mouths on them either..

6. May 7, 2010 5:08 am

New clothes make me happy, so the sweater story makes sense to me. Enjoy it!

7. May 7, 2010 7:02 am

Kids were not your friends yesterday. That one at the playground sounds like a brat, no surprise considering most of the playground stories you tell. I think the playground culture alone would prevent me from moving to LA. Unless, of course, I was married to a really rich and powerful man and I could rule the playground.

8. May 7, 2010 7:03 am

Oh my gosh– that kids sounds SO obnoxious. I can’t believe his mother was letting him get away with that– UGH!

I’m glad you got a new sweater though 🙂

9. May 7, 2010 7:13 am

Amen for good customer service! Sounds like you had one of those days, and I definitely feel for you. I’m so sad that your samosas (and flags) were under-appreciated! You should have just cried in front of all of those kids. I once went in to speak with a manager (back in my civil service days) about some major issues I was having with my contract and she ended up crying about her problems to me. I had to pull out the tissues and console her, and was glad to, but ended up forgetting the whole reason why I went to see her in the first place.
    Sorry…major digression!

10. May 7, 2010 7:27 am

#2 literally made my stomach churn. I can’t stand obnoxious kids, but worse are the parents who let them act that way.

11. May 7, 2010 7:32 am

Ugh, that obnoxious kid obviously learned that behavior from his parents! I hate parents who don’t teach their kids common manners like respecting adults. There should be some kind of responsibility test before people are allowed to have children.

12. May 7, 2010 7:37 am

From what I’ve been reading, we all need yesterday to be a do-over day!

But I’m glad your sweater came in- it’s the little victories in life, right? Here’s to no new holes!!!

13. May 7, 2010 7:45 am

((hugs)) sometimes kids are brats. well in my experience most kids are brats so don’t take it too personally that they were so rude!

14. May 7, 2010 7:47 am

Oh Ameena, sorry about your day. I can’t even tell you how many times I plan out some amazing lesson plan and hands on activity or snack for my students and it completely bombs. I know they’re just little children, but it still secretly kinda hurts my feelings when they turn down food I’ve spent lots of time making and was so excited to give to them.

Anyway, glad you have a new sweater!! Hopefully that will cheer you up and you’ll have a much better weekend. I think so many of us in blog land are feeling beaten up and frustrated b/c of various things, but hopefully that means next week will be better for all of us!!!!! 🙂

15. May 7, 2010 7:57 am

I can totally see myself getting into an argument with a nine year old too! Don’t parents teach they’re kids manners anymore?

Glad you have a non-holy sweater 🙂

May 7, 2010 8:19 am

I HATE kids like that. Discipline your children people! If I ever spoke to someone like that my parents would have knocked me upside the head.
    As they should.

Its awesome about your sweater though! That would have totally made my day.

17. May 7, 2010 8:26 am

BIG HUGS TO YOU!!!! I am sorry that was such a rough day!! But that sweater is gorgeous!! 🙂

18. May 7, 2010 8:27 am

OOh, glad you got your sweater back! I can’t believe that nine-year-old was so rude. The nerve! I don’t know what’s wrong with children these days. Should I blame their parents? They seem so evil.
    Sorry the presentation didn’t go as well as planned. I guess I forgot that kids are totally unpredictable and ridiculously picky. That’s why I don’t have them.

19. lowandbhold permalink
    May 7, 2010 8:55 am

I hate when parents behave like that. It’s no wonder her kid was an ass. And yes, I believe that kids can be asses 🙂

Not Maya though of course!

I would have gladly eaten your samosas.

20. May 7, 2010 9:02 am

Glad you got your sweater back!

Sorry for the rough day. Kids can be such brats sometimes.

21. May 7, 2010 9:51 am

Ah the joys of motherhood LOL. Well, that being said, hope you have a fabulous mother’s day weekend. I do hope you get to do something special..

22. May 7, 2010 10:51 am

See some kids take after their parents. Case and point that little boy at the park. Geez… But luckily you had one bright side to your day the lovely new sweater. hehehe…

23. May 7, 2010 11:17 am

Yuck! What an awful day! Last summer, I asked some kids in our neighborhood to quit scratching up the mailboxes with rocks. Then I went to talk to their dad about it, and he wouldn’t listen (either). I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

I bet the samosas were delish!

24. May 7, 2010 12:02 pm

reminds me of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond…participating in school functions and the teachers and kids make it worse…better day for u today i hope!

25. May 7, 2010 12:17 pm

Oh, I’m sorry about your day! (And I can’t believe that little brat at the park…wow!) At least it ended on a happy note (that sweater is gorgeous!).

Happy Mother’s Day, Ameena!

26. May 7, 2010 1:21 pm

ugh, what a stinky day! so glad cusp pulled through and made you smile 🙂

27. oc2seattle permalink
    May 7, 2010 2:01 pm

Oh, wow, I had that same “no good, terrible, very bad day” today thanks to a “broken” flash drive. That kid sounds like an advertisement for birth control and the mom-UNBELIEVABLE! So happy you got your sweater to brighten your day.

28. May 7, 2010 3:14 pm

I love your tag – “pushy kid at the park” – haha !! Take care girl .

29. highonhealthy permalink
    May 7, 2010 3:46 pm

Argh, that lady at the park annoys me.. *coughbitchcough* Her and her son sound like two peas in a pod.

I’m hoping that the rest of your week is absolutely amazing! 🙂

30. May 7, 2010 5:09 pm

I’m so happy you got your sweater back! It’s so pretty and I know how much you missed it.

I couldn’t help but laugh at your encounter with the 9 year old. I’m not laughing AT you, just at the situation, because it is totally something that would happen to me. Although unlike you, I would probably be too intimidated to fight back. Yes, I would be intimidated by a 9 year old…especially after his crazy mama came along. Good for you for standing your ground.

31. May 8, 2010 7:08 am

yes, i hate those days.. but thankfully the day comes to an end and THE WEEKEND ARRIVES! hope your is fantastic love ❤ xoxo

32. May 9, 2010 8:45 pm

Er, how can samosas be ‘too hot’? But I like your attitude. 😀

there is always space for junk food, no matter how full kids are.

1. smart | Fancy That...Fancy This