A Whirlwind Tour

April 24, 2010

Well we finally made it to Singapore after an entire day of travel.  How is that possible you ask?  Being that Singapore is only a 45 minute flight from Kuala Lumpur?  I’d like to know the answer to that question as well.  Lets just say that we came to Singapore twice yesterday but only landed once.  But I hate to ruin the great time we are having with negativity so I’ll save that for another day.

We checked in to the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore yesterday…it’s a basic hotel with a basic room.  In Ali’s words he “Is not a fan.”

I guess coming from stays at the Peninsula and the Ritz-Carlton, nothing can really compare.  But the view is great and is the only unique thing about our room.

After being on an airplane with no food for 8 hours we were starving, so we checked in, changed our clothes, and headed out to dinner.  We were too hungry to go too far so we went with a nearby restaurant recommended by the hotel: Rang Mahal

Beautiful restaurant, great service, and good food, but it was super spicy.  I wouldn’t recommend it.

We headed to Clarke Quay to check out the nightlife, which was exactly when I fell in love with Singapore.

The lights and energy of this city reminds me so much of New York.  There are hordes of people everywhere just hanging out and enjoying the ridiculous amounts of good food and the cooler evening temperatures.

Ali and I stopped for dessert/coffee at The Coffee Connoisseur.  He had a very lady-like  manly iced latte and I had a Nutello shot.

Just imagine coffee mixed with Nutella and topped with powdered cocoa and you have heaven in a tiny glass.

Afterwards we went back to the hotel and crashed for a whopping 6 hours.  I’m not sure why we got up so early today but since we had to make up for a lost day it wasn’t such a bad thing.  We hit the buffet breakfast which I will post pictures of later.  I have to say it was probably the best breakfast buffet I have ever seen in my life and is definitely worth a few pictures.

We walked for 6 hours straight today trying to make up for lost time, and saw Arab Street, Bugis (flea market), Orchard Street, Chinatown, and then we collapsed for 1.5 hours at the Ritz-Carlton Millenia, just in time for tea service.  I won’t post pictures right now because I am sure I’ve wasted enough of your time and bytes (per Ali) already, but trust me, the tea we had today is worth a post all its own.

Apparently rest time is over and we are now headed to Little India and an area called Holland Village.  Nobody can accuse us of not utilizing every second of this vacation!

1. April 24, 2010 4:23 am

Nutella shot?! Ummmmm…I need that every morning 🙂

Have fun in Little India!

2. April 24, 2010 4:44 am

More posts on Singapore? More to talk about? I’m already looking forward to it…

3. April 24, 2010 6:36 am

wow i can see why u fell in love with singapore.. from the pic the nightlife looks very vibrant!! seems like such a fantasy place 🙂

4. April 24, 2010 6:37 am

Singapore sounds super fab! Yikes what happend on your flight?

5. April 24, 2010 7:13 am

My father used to travel to Singapore all the time and loved it. He also said it was so clean. I can’t wait to see more. (Remember, I’m living vicariously through you right now. And I want tea!) Oh, and a Nutella shot? I guess it sounds almost as good as the straight-from-the-jar Nutella shots I make. 😉

6. April 24, 2010 7:32 am

whirlwind is the perfect word to describe what you guys are doing! so crazy and fun!!

7. April 24, 2010 8:00 am

I don’t even like iced lattes, but with a nutella shot I might just be able to choke it down!! LOVE nutella!! 🙂

8. traynharder23 permalink
    April 24, 2010 8:13 am

ohhhh i cna’t wait to see the new pictures! i’ve never had an iced latte!

9. April 24, 2010 10:42 am

I’m actually eating nutella right now. Aaack! I must see pics of that buffet NOW. Like I said, always the sign of a great writer to leave your readers lingering 😉 Don’t mind me if I keep clicking back to your blog to check on my…um I mean your buffet pics. But then again I’m subscribed through email…never mind…just had one of my mommy moments. And way to take advantage of every second guys. You go girl!! Enjoy! 😀

10. April 24, 2010 12:38 pm

So glad to hear you guys are having a good time. I’ve never been to Singapore, but it’s always been on my list.Sorry about the flight issues. I’m sure you’re forgetting about those by now 🙂

11. highonhealthy permalink
    April 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Ali doesn’t like the hotel? It still looks nice to me even if it isn’t quite as grand as the others!

That Nutello shot looks really good..

12. April 24, 2010 2:19 pm

I love Singapore!!! Despite the delay, sounds great so far- I just love how orderly and clean it is over there! I’ve also stayed at the Mandarin and the Grand Hyatt over there…the Mandarin Singapore is NO COMPARISON to the one I stayed at in Hong Kong. Ahhh and I love Orchard Road shopping!

April 24, 2010 3:29 pm

I think the hotel room looks nice!! Especially when you compare it to some of the crap holes Ive stayed in.

Singapore looks awesome! Im so glad you’re enjoying your trip.

14. April 24, 2010 4:48 pm

I want to crawl in that hotel bed and forget the world.
    u guys look beautiful…i like how u are taking us along for the ride…i personally appreciate it since travel is not in my cards…nice to see it thru u 🙂

15. actorsdiet permalink
    April 24, 2010 4:49 pm

i am LOVING your trip! can’t wait to see pix of the breakfast buffet too….

16. April 24, 2010 9:40 pm

I want a nutella shot!!!! 🙂

17. April 25, 2010 7:38 am

That Nutella shot sounds amazing.

Ali’s comments always crack me up… it’s like, incoming from the peanut gallery! 🙂

18. April 25, 2010 8:58 am

How fun…I am loving all your vacation pics!

19. April 25, 2010 2:47 pm

That Nutello shot sounds pretty amazing! Looks like you two are having so much fun! 🙂

20. April 25, 2010 6:11 pm

The CC is SO expensive! I never buy anything there, bc it’s so overpriced. Haha. But the deco is amazing, I think. I could live in there.

Ameena! Drag Ali away from the indian places, and go to the hawkers!!! Ah! It’s killing me that you haven’t tried any of Singapore’s AWESOME dishes yet! (or maybe you are but you haven’t posted pics yet…please post lots and lots of pics, I’ll never tire of singapore!)

21. April 26, 2010 8:29 pm

LOL love ali’s lady drink and I want that nutella shot – what genius invented that?!