Jet Lag

April 26, 2010

As the planner that I am I read many articles on the best way to overcome jet lag.  Most experts agree that when traveling from East to West it is better to stay awake on the plane so you can immediately be on track when you arrive at your destination.  So with that in mind I slept only 3-4 hours out of my 15 hour flight yesterday, but it clearly made no difference as it is 3:30 am Los Angeles time and I am wide awake.  After tossing and turning and telling Ali to “move over and stop kicking me” numerous times, I finally gave up and moved to the living room to work on my computer.  Might as well make myself useful, right?

So our last day in Singapore was great.  We started the day right by hitting the breakfast buffet at Melt, which Ali and I agree is one of the few redeeming qualities of the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore.  They literally have every single things a person could want for breakfast.  And I mean every.single.thing.

There was a huge section for different kinds of yogurt, cereal, milk, cheese, pasta salads, fruit, meat, and fish:

And then smaller sections for different kinds of fresh squeezed juices, including mango lassi, and more fruit:

An omelette/noodle station:

Another noodle station that also had congi and a few other things I hadn’t seen before:

A crepe station featuring Nutella, homemade jams, and peanut butter (need I say more on this?):

Pastries/bread/bagels with more fruit:

An Indian station with dosa, idlis, parathas, sambar, chutneys, puri, and a few other things (it’s a bit of a blur because I went a little crazy here the first morning):

And finally an American breakfast station with Eggs Benedict, hash browns, ham, sausage, breakfast potatoes, and more.

The first morning I went overboard and didn’t eat again for 7 hours but I managed to pace myself Sunday and was quite pleased that I didn’t leave feeling gross again.  Buffets kind of overwhelm me!

After breakfast Ali and I hopped in a cab and headed to the famous Singapore Botanical Gardens featuring the Orchid Garden.  While my knowledge of orchids is limited to the Trader Joe’s plant I purchase and then kill every 3-4 months, I do know for sure that this was the most gorgeous garden I have ever seen:

We also ran into some people practicing a really cool dance with fans (forgive my ignorance as I have no idea what it was called).  They were very calm and peaceful, which is a recurrent theme throughout Asia.  I hope some of that rubbed off on me.

After flicking bugs off us left and right we headed back to our hotel to pack up and check out.  Unlike our previous hotels I can’t say that I was too upset to leave the Mandarin.  Seriously, don’t ever stay at this sub-par location because you will likely be disappointed.

We reached the airport early so I left Ali at the lounge with the luggage and the buffet (aloo matar with rice and chicken followed by a bowl of corn flakes anyone?).  As he consumed even more random combinations, I walked around the shops and then ran into the coolest thing ever…a butterfly garden.  At the airport.

There are no words for how amazing it is to walk through a garden full of butterflies.  Really, this alone is worth a trip through Changi airport.

If you aren’t sick of reading about my Asia trip yet, I have one more vacation-related post about our tea at the Singapore Ritz-Carlton that I will hopefully put up in the next few days.  Now I’m off to do laundry, clean the kitchen, go to Trader Joe’s, and then pick up Maya, but despite the long list of things to do I am happy to be home.

Now lets see if Maya feels the same way when I pick her up in a few hours.

1. raana permalink
    April 26, 2010 4:04 am

Wow!!what a lay out of buffet!!!butterfly garden at the airport!!how amazing!!
    singapur seems to be heaven on earth.
    waiting for your high tea related post as i m a big fan of high tea.
    Glad you enjoyed every bit of your holiday and every bite of ali’s IT equipments.
    love

2. April 26, 2010 5:49 am

Wow, that’s quite the buffet. I can see how you’d leave feeling sick-to-your-stomach full. I’m full just thinking about what I’d eat—especially a Nutella crepe. It’s so cool that the airport had a butterfly garden. That pink butterfly is gorgeous. That must have been so cool. Glad you enjoyed the trip!

3. April 26, 2010 5:55 am

I’m so glad the trip was a success… I hope the energy level stays high the first day back!

4. April 26, 2010 6:04 am

Glad you made it home safely. It looks like a fantastic trip but I’m sure you’re happy to be back home. Good luck with the jet lag–you know what to do but an afternoon cuppa tea can’t hurt. 😉

5. April 26, 2010 6:11 am

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Singapore and Asia in general. I love going to the Botanical Gardens when I have the time too…it’s so calming 🙂

I think the exercise with fan thing is called taiji, if i’m not mistaken.

I would love to go america too. Hope you aren’t suffering from too much jet lag.

6. April 26, 2010 6:24 am

Wow– that buffet is amazing! I definitely wouldn’t have been able to control myself! 🙂

Welcome home!

7. April 26, 2010 6:47 am

Enjoy the buffets Ameena. What a trip you are having!

8. April 26, 2010 7:19 am

My mother has very little good to say about her childhood home (of course, the Singapore she grew up in was probably very different from modern-day–much dirtier, for one, and still recovering from that nasty little Japanese Reign of Terror), but the one thing she always lamented missing by high-tailing it to the States was the /food/. Apparently enormous selections and wide variety are the norm–she could have any mishmash of Western or traditional or just plain weird (chicken blood cubes?) she felt like after a short walk across the island.

9. April 26, 2010 7:26 am

Welcome back!!!
    The breakfast buffet… wow. That would be SO overwhelming to me too! All that fruit though..yum!

April 26, 2010 7:36 am

I cant get over that buffet!! Its insane 🙂

Orchids are SO hard to keep alive. Its a good thing theyre so pretty because they take an awful lot of effort if you ask me! That garden is beautiful though.

11. traynharder23 permalink
    April 26, 2010 7:38 am

WHAT A BUFFET! WHOAAA!

12. April 26, 2010 8:17 am

I LOVED that you shared your entire trip with us! THANK YOU

and a butterfly garden..AT the airport?

that is one amazing airport!

it always feels good to be home, no?
    🙂
    xo

13. actorsdiet permalink
    April 26, 2010 8:19 am

welcome home! i’m definitely not sick of your asia trip posts – keep ’em coming!

i get really overwhelmed at nice breakfast buffets like that too – i find it helps if i’m staying at a hotel more than one day so i can feel like i get a little of everything…

14. April 26, 2010 8:39 am

Oh I hate when vacations come to an end. Yours sounded so amazing too. I am excited to read your last post about it. 🙂

I hope it is easy getting back into a routine and overcoming jet lag.

15. April 26, 2010 8:49 am

butterfly gardens are so nostalgic and calming. it feels like a fantasy world.

sorry about the jet lag.. although its inevitable.. it sucks!!!!

holy that buffet is overwhelming. what to choose- such a dilemma!!

xo

16. April 26, 2010 9:09 am

Glad you’re home safe and sound! My jaw dropped when I saw that buffet. We just went to a buffet yesterday but it was nothing compared to the gorgeous array of food you guys had. Man I so need to travel more. Yes, please keep the posts of your trip coming. Thank you for being my eyes again.

17. April 26, 2010 9:42 am

A butterfly garden in the airport – that’s a good thing! I took it all in from your posts – THANKS for bringing us along your journey through Japan, Malaysia and Singapore. I love the food and high teas and buffets – so yes please – keep those coming. A friend of mine used to work as an executive chef at the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore. She is now in same hotel’s New York City location. Sorry the rooms were not up to par but I hope the food made up for some. Welcome back to the US.

18. Caroline permalink
    April 26, 2010 9:53 am

That buffet looks amazing! And such a beautiful garden, especially for an airport! Here in Ohio, our airports have … Sbarro and a Chili’s to-go! haha, I have really enjoyed living vicariously through your vacation!

• April 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Caroline –

Trust me, we have the same crappy Sbarro’s and Chili’s here in LA and maybe if we are super lucky we are in a terminal with a CPK ASAP. Why doesn’t the USA get their airports together?

19. April 26, 2010 10:12 am

wow, that breakfast buffet, orchid gardena and butterfly garden were all amazing! thanks for sharing it all with us. despite the exhaustion, wow, what a great trip!

20. April 26, 2010 10:55 am

I never even knew buffets like that existed! I can totally understand how you would have gone overboard; I would have done the exact same thing. And those gardens? Completely amazing.

Thanks for sharing so much of your trip with us, Ameena!

21. April 26, 2010 10:57 am

I have the same problem when it comes to jetlag. One of the downsides of traveling. I usually don’t get to sleep till about 4 or 5am after returning and lasts for a week at most for me. I’m one of those who can’t sleep on planes, too.

Now that buffet…I think I’d end up spending a day there just trying to taste everything. hahaha…

Glad you had a great trip. Now get some rest!! 🙂

22. April 26, 2010 11:22 am

Welcome Home!

Sounds like you had a great time… looking forward to reading about Tea time 🙂

23. April 26, 2010 11:27 am

Wow, this looks simply amazing, that brunch looks fabulous. I wish me and my belly got to go too 🙂

24. fitandfortysomething permalink
    April 26, 2010 12:08 pm

welcome home!

25. April 26, 2010 12:14 pm

You would not have been able to peel me away from the crepe station, I mean nutella, omg, say no more! haha! 🙂 What a fabulous trip you had! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

26. nadia permalink
    April 26, 2010 1:07 pm

sweet holly molly!! i’ve never seen so much food at a buffet. ever!! please tell me u at least went back for seconds;) u know i would have hit every single station, insane! what a fab foodie trip…what vacay is all about! looking fwd to the RC tea pics;)
    XOXOXOXO

27. April 26, 2010 2:06 pm

That breakfast buffet is absolutely fabulous — I love the crepe station! The butterfly garden sounds like so much fun!

28. April 26, 2010 2:39 pm

OMG that buffet! I have been craaaaving idli and sambar like no other lately…I don’t have the equipment to make it so I’m going to have to get it from a restaurant!
    I went to the botanical gardens in Singapore too..I was in the process of buying a “grow your own orchid” kit from the gift shop when someone started running up to me and yelling, asking if I was a tourist. Apparently they are illegal to take back to the USA. Oops!

29. April 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Now that’s an impressive buffet! How on earth did you decide what to eat? Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures from your vacation. 🙂

30. April 26, 2010 6:49 pm

Ok. As soon as I become a millionaire, I’m going to put a crepe station in my house JUST like that one. Ooh, yum. I’m so impressed with all the fabulous breakfasts your had on your trip!

Yes yes yes to another vacation post!

31. April 26, 2010 7:56 pm

Ah, I forgot to tell you that Singapore buffets are the BEST! Can’t be compared to the ones here!

32. April 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Wow! What a great trip – thanks for sharing so many parts of it.
    I hope that it isn’t too brutal to be back to reality – that can be quite the transition. Think about that ‘calm and peaceful’ vibe. I seriously lack that. Hmmmm.

33. April 26, 2010 8:27 pm

Wow the breakfast selections look amazing and so do the gardens! and dont feel bad you are not the only one who kills plants every time you buy them! 🙂

34. April 26, 2010 10:22 pm

oh my – that is one of the biggest and most varied buffets I have ever seen!!!!

35. April 27, 2010 12:07 am

WOW – that buffet looked EPIC, Ameena!
    I´m happy you had a great time, overall.
    Beautiful pics 😀
    Have a great week, love!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

36. lowandbhold permalink
    April 27, 2010 12:17 pm

I’m pretty sure I could eat a year’s worth of calories at that buffet without ever coming up for air.

37. traynharder23 permalink
    April 27, 2010 2:56 pm

haahha that means you’re YOUNG since i’m a young-un and i KNOW CLUE!

=D

can’t wait til you get back!

38. April 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Glad you’re back, Ameena! Thanks for sharing your trip with us, I’ve been living vicariously through you! 😀

39. April 27, 2010 5:23 pm

I’m so enjoying reading your vacation posts!! Thank you so much for sharing your journeys with us – I’m in heaven gazing at your beautiful photos and reading about your experiences. A butterfly garden in the airport is the coolest idea! 🙂

40. April 29, 2010 8:19 am

This post brought back some wonderful memories of Singapore-isn’t that place just awesome!!!! Right from the moment you step into the airport it’s just technology at it’s BEST!!! I loved the local markets and not to mention all the food courts at every nook and corner!!!!

41. July 18, 2014 7:31 am

I see a lot of interesting articles on your page.
    You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is
    a tool that creates unique, google friendly articles in couple
    of minutes, just type in google – k2 unlimited content

42. September 2, 2014 8:51 pm

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of
    work, there is an online tool that creates high quality,
    google friendly posts in minutes, just search in google – laranitas free content

43. January 6, 2015 10:06 pm

Interesting articles you post here, i have shared this article on my fb