Room for Rent

April 22, 2010

Ali and I finally landed in Malaysia after quite possibly the longest layover in history.  After a very long drive from the airport we checked in to the Ritz-Carlton, which is quite a bargain over here.  Our first room was on the dirty/old side but when we requested a new room we were upgraded to the Ritz-Carlton Residences.  There are no words to describe this gigantic place…a family of 10 could easily stay here without running out of space.

I’ll spare you more pictures of the hotel room but there is also a guest room and two more bathrooms.  It’s like the hotel knew that even on vacation Ali and I can’t share a bathroom.

The service here is unparalleled.  The staff is extraordinary and bend over backwards for your every need.  I highly recommend staying here if you get a chance, just make sure that you request a room in the new tower otherwise you may be disappointed.

We took a very refreshing and successful swim yesterday, and by successful I mean I didn’t need to go to the ER for any ear issues.

Afterwards we set off to check out the city and hit a ton of attractions in the very short amount of time we had: Petronas Towers, Central Market, Chinatown, and Masjid Jamek which is the oldest mosque in Kuala Lumpur.

We tried to locate the National Mosque but between some very wrong directions and the horrible heat, we gave up!  The weather here is like Las Vegas in the summer but with 85% humidity so it is very tiring to walk around too much at once.

Since it was 3pm and we were both getting irritable from lack of food, we decided to forgo lunch and headed back to the hotel just in time for tea service.

Prior to our trip, many people told me that Malaysians love to shop and eat, and they weren’t kidding around.  The malls are beautiful and I seriously think there are more restaurants here than in Los Angeles.  You can get anything and everything you want….Malaysian food, Beard Papas cream puffs, Vietnamese food, Thai food, Indian food, KFC, you name it they have it.  And no matter what cuisine you go with, the food is fantastic (although I’ll pass on the KFC thank you very much).

Malaysia reminds me a lot of India…there are some really, really nice areas, and then some really, really bad areas, but what I love about Kuala Lumpur is regardless of their financial status, people from dozens of different cultures work and live together with no obvious conflict.  I see Arabs in burqa, Malaysian ladies in head scarves, Malaysian girls in mini-skirts, and tourists in all kinds of scarily disrespectful ensembles.  But aside from a few leering looks everyone seems to cohabitate peacefully.

We are off to eat breakfast and then are headed to the airport for our flight to Singapore.  I am sad that the vacation is almost over but I think Maya will be more disappointed than anyone.  Soon it will be back to the Din Bootcamp for her spoiled little self!!

1. April 22, 2010 7:32 pm

id kill to lay in those lounge beds right now. so jealous!!!

2. actorsdiet permalink
    April 22, 2010 7:56 pm

yay ritz carlton! i’m sure they’re beautiful everywhere in the world…i am wondering if their kfc’s have the double down too….

3. April 22, 2010 8:36 pm

wow! that swimming pool and your room is beautiful. i’m so jealous right now. well at least after looking at those lovely pics maybe i’ll dream some sweet dreams tonight. hope you have a great time in Malaysia 😀

4. Nadia permalink
    April 22, 2010 8:43 pm

omg meena, how amazing!!! such great job on the updates, the hotel, pool and tea look fabulous! can’t wait to hear about all the details over breakfast when u return, although any breakfast back in LA will seem so disappointing after all ur beautiful teas and meals! keep exploring and shooting away!
    XOXOXOX

5. Danielle permalink
    April 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Wow, the room is gorgeous! Actually, all the pictures are 😀 It sounds like you’re having a great time!

6. April 22, 2010 9:27 pm

wow it looks amazing there!

7. April 22, 2010 10:14 pm

The hotels in Malaysia is CRAZY. And like, dirt cheap. That is the only place we can ever afford a 4-star restaurant.
    I can’t wait for you to go to Singapore!

8. April 22, 2010 10:29 pm

My Malaysian friends would agree with yr findings on food and how people just seem to be able to coexist in KL. It’s sort of like here in the US except a few things. Thanks for the report from KL and I would like to stay at The Ritz if they are not overly pricey. Your vacation is my dream vacation. Maya will be happy to see you both – just wait and see and tell us…..

9. April 22, 2010 11:26 pm

I could totally use that hotel as my permanent residence. I’ve never seen suge a HUGE fridge a a HOTEL room before. I think it’s as large as, if not larger, than the fridge in my house!

To think you’re coming to Singapore. Yay!! Will you be just stopping over over staying here a few days as well?? Hmm…you could visit the newly opened Resorts World at Sentosa, though personally I’ve not been there. I’m not sure if you’re into theme parks though. Of course, Singapore is another food-obsessed country.

10. rachael permalink
    April 23, 2010 2:16 am

That pool looks amazing! And your “room” is quite a bit larger than my house. Glad you’re having such a wonderful trip!

11. April 23, 2010 3:26 am

Wow, that pool area is awesome. It looks like a really, really clean lagoon in the jungle. And I’m pretty sure that room is bigger than my apartment. AND it has maid service. I want to move in.

12. April 23, 2010 3:57 am

Ah, that’s one lovely room you’ve got yourself there. The food looks yummy too!

Looking forward to your post on Singapore. I’m planning a short trip there soon, so all the more excited about your next post 🙂

13. April 23, 2010 3:59 am

yeah,
    so i still hate u

🙂

14. April 23, 2010 4:00 am

Wow, you guys really know how to travel in style! I should have you plan my trips 🙂

15. April 23, 2010 4:29 am

Wow– that hotel looks amazing!! That pool is beautiful!

So sad that your vacation is coming to an end– it looks like it’s been a great one!

April 23, 2010 6:13 am

That hotel looks incredible! I cant get over the kitchen. I’d love having a kitchen that size at HOME!

The pool is beautiful too. Thats probably why you didnt have any ear issues. Its just too pretty to cause problems.

17. April 23, 2010 6:17 am

I want that hotel room as my own! Sooooo gorgeous! I’m glad you had such a great time! Have a safe trip back!

18. April 23, 2010 6:29 am

Everything looks amazing! I love the way the people in Malaysia sound!! When I went to Hong Kong a few years ago it was like that 🙂 Fabulous!!

19. onelittlejill permalink
    April 23, 2010 6:44 am

That hotel is amazing! Where in NJ can you find that…nowhere!!!

20. April 23, 2010 7:01 am

Ah how wonderful. You guys know how to travel in style. I love your bedroom. So glad you are enjoying yourself and taking time to have afternoon tea 🙂
    Have a great weekend.

21. April 23, 2010 8:01 am

That hotel looks AMAZING! I’m so glad you guys arrived safe and sound 🙂 I’m a little disturbed by the KFC. They really shouldn’t even have that in America.

22. April 23, 2010 9:22 am

Please take me on your vacation next time… you guys know how to vacay..

Love tea time 🙂

23. April 23, 2010 9:27 am

That is some serious room there! And a very lovely shawl, too. Modesty and cold were never attended to so well.

So jealous of all your fun in KL! Two of my besties are from KL and I cannot wait to go visit them one day. I would be happy to just get taken from food place to food place, even if we did nothing else.

24. April 23, 2010 10:23 am

That room! That pool! I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t envious. It’s great that you’re having a good time, though; vacations are definitely meant to be enjoyed in style.

25. April 23, 2010 11:17 am

omg, that place looks amazing!!! it relaxed me just to look at it. sometimes speaking up really comes in handy!

glad you guys are having such an amazing time.

26. April 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Wow, you and Ali travel like royalty!! You so deserve the royal treatment!! 🙂 Glad yall are continuing to enjoy your trip!!!!!

27. raana permalink
    April 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Great accomodation!!!it seems you guys are having fun.
    I spend at least ten days at one place on my vacations and dont leave until i have memorised everything there.
    you people are fast and fantastic.
    KEEP ENJOYING!!
    love

28. April 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Nice!!! I’ve always wanted to visit Malaysia. I’m glad it starting out well.

29. April 23, 2010 1:15 pm

That suite you’re staying in is absolutely gorgeous. The pool setting looks so peaceful, and tea service looks amazing too! I think I need to visit Malaysia! 🙂

30. highonhealthy permalink
    April 23, 2010 2:28 pm

Somehow that hotel is even more gorgeous than the first. I’m really loving that pool! It looks so peaceful. 🙂

31. April 23, 2010 4:49 pm

That’s a gorgeous room! My goodness, it’s amazing what you can get when you just ask 🙂 Peter and I can’t share a bathroom, either, so this place would be perfect (albeit a little large). Your tea looks wonderful!

Have a good flight to Singapore!

32. April 23, 2010 4:57 pm

I have no words Ameena for such a beautiful trip you are having!
    Thank you for sharing with us.

what an amazing pool! glad you didn’t have ear issues again!

33. April 23, 2010 6:59 pm

That hotel looks absolutely gorgeous! and huge..I’m so envious. I could use a vacation right now…and that bed looks very tempting.
    Hope youre having a great time xo

34. April 24, 2010 6:33 am

I would love to visit all these places! Many that hotel looks amazing! It’s great to see all the food options that you have- I know you were worried about that!

35. April 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Ameena, I have always wanted to go to KL and I have heard that it is a foodie’s paradiso. Your account/photos definitely speak to the variety of experiences all in one city. Beautiful!