I Jinxed Myself

April 20, 2010

So there I was yesterday, patting myself on the back for being so calm and collected on this trip…what was I thinking?  I am not usually a superstitious person but I do believe I jinxed myself.

Minutes after I published my post yesterday, I realized that the water that made its way into my ear after my little jaunt at the swimming pool was there to stay.  This has happened to me many times before and in the past I’ve just hopped over to my doctor’s office where she blasts it out with a syringe (sorry if that grossed you out).  But with my doctor on the other side of the world getting blasted wasn’t really an option.

The Peninsula staff graciously offered to call a doctor over to the hotel at the bargain rate of $800, but at that price I figured I could live with the pain.  But then Ali decided to investigate, saying he could fix the problem…he took a flashlight and some Q-tips, and a few painful minutes later the pressure in my ear was unbearable.  I tried to stand up but got really dizzy and on top of that I couldn’t hear out of my ear any longer.

I told Ali to put on his thinking cap because there was no way I could go days or even minutes with the unbearable pressure that was steadily building up on the right side of my head.  Ali immediately went into superstar mode – while typing away furiously on his iPhone he contacted the front desk to find an ER close to the hotel.  Lo and behold we were in a cab and on our way to St. Luke’s minutes later.

Did you ever wonder what the inside of a Japanese hospital looks like?  Well wonder no further:

Thanks to my hotel we received an appointment for 10:30am.  By 10:40 I had a Japanese Health ID Card.  By 10:55 I was at counter 35 waiting for the doctor.  By 11:15 I could hear out of my left ear (didn’t even realize it was blocked).  And by 11:20 the water was out of my right ear as well.  5 more minutes and $118 later we were on our way.  I love the Japanese and their efficiency!!

With my hearing, equilibrium, and good humor restored, I was feeling particularly generous.  I told Ali to pick any restaurant he wanted to eat at for lunch.  I felt it was the least I could do considering I had him to thank for spearheading operation “Ameena Needs to Hear Again.”

Ali wanted Indian food so Indian food it was.  (Yes Indian food in Tokyo.  Again.  Please don’t judge us too harshly).  Dhaba India was on American Express’ list of recommended restaurants and had a line out the door it was so popular!   And it didn’t disappoint!  I had my first masala dosa in about 10 years and it was awesome.

Ali isn’t a fan of dosa so he had some kind of chicken salaan with naan instead.  He said it was good but super spicy.

After that we walked back to the hotel, checked out, took a 1.5 hour shuttle to the airport, and a 7 hour flight to Singapore.  We are now sitting at the Singapore airport waiting for our connection to Kuala Lumpur.  I’m not thrilled about having to sit around for 6 hours but at least I am in the greatest airport in the world!

Koi pond?  Check.  Kid’s play structure?  Check.  Free movie theater?  Check. 100+ restaurants?  Check.  Gucci, Cartier, Burberry?  Check, check, and check.

This could be a dangerously expensive layover.

1. Nadine permalink
    April 20, 2010 12:49 pm

aww! I hope your ear is better now. I’m so scared of water getting in my ears that I never learned swimming…I might this summer.

OOh and that Dosa looks delicious,I haven’t had one in a while either. I love Singapore airport! I almost got a Gucci bag while I was there but bought a Chanel perfume instead 🙂

Hope your seat has a working TV this time!
    Keep us posted 🙂

2. April 20, 2010 1:05 pm

wow that is the most efficient hospital trip ever! i am very impressed. glad you were able to get the water out and can hear again 🙂

3. April 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Oh no!!! I’m sorry about your ear– and very glad that they were able to get you better so quickly!

And yes, that airport sounds like my happy place! 🙂

4. April 20, 2010 1:25 pm

So glad you got the ear problem fixed before flying. Seriously, that could have killed. And on my honeymoon I must have gotten some water in my ear or something but ever since that painful flight my Eustachian tube has been malfunctioning which is annoying and I can ear a click every time I swallow or chew. So give Ali an even bigger Thank You for not having to possibly deal with that.

5. April 20, 2010 1:50 pm

oh gosh! I say it was worth the $118 bucks. That pressure is the worst feeling!

I wish our hospitals were like the Japanese hospitals. That would be amazing.

Andy and I ate indian food in Italy. I won’t judge.

That airport looks awesome! Free movie theater what?

6. traynharder23 permalink
    April 20, 2010 1:52 pm

eek! i would be SOOO scared if that happened! i would have no idea what to do! AIGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

and yay indian food. is it lame to say i haven’t eaten real indian food in like ever?

7. April 20, 2010 1:54 pm

Wow, that is really scary. Being sick in a foreign country is the worst!

Not sure if it’s new or I’m just totally unobservant but I love your tea and scone header. If I could have a proper English tea every day, I would (and just get really fat and happy). 😉

8. April 20, 2010 1:56 pm

oh no! so sorry you had to go through that!! thank goodness you were able to get it taken care of. well worth $118!

that airport is magnificent!!!

9. Nadia permalink
    April 20, 2010 1:56 pm

go ali for saving the day!! ur so lucky it was such an easy process…i’m so scared of needing to see a doc in a foreign country, how cool! so glad ur better! that airport is gorgeous and orchid heaven, right? 100+ restaurants, what? hope u indulged again!!
    XOXOXO

10. April 20, 2010 1:57 pm

oh no that would be incredibly scary!!! no one goes on vacation and thinks theyll be visiting a hospital. im gonna send good vibes ur way to un jinx any hex’s. xoxoxo

11. April 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Oh no! I’m glad you’re feeling better! That does sound like an efficient system!

12. actorsdiet permalink
    April 20, 2010 2:02 pm

oh my – sorry to hear about your ear! glad everything is okay and you can proceed with your vacay. free movie theater?! for real?!

13. April 20, 2010 2:03 pm

That is awesome how well they took care of you!! Really makes you wonder about some of the healthcare options in the US, huh? Glad you are all better and have lots of fun distractions. Shopping!

14. raana permalink
    April 20, 2010 2:41 pm

hi Ameena,
    sorry to hear about your ear,hope you are all better now.
    thank you very much for replying and liking my name.you are an amazing person.
    enjoy your stay in KL..are you staying in bukit betang?this place in KL has all the major attractions .four years back i had my vacations there.i loved it.
    love
    raana

15. April 20, 2010 2:45 pm

I would have loved to find Indian food in Japan! Sorry to hear about your ear 😦 At least there is a story to tell! Have you seen “Lost in Translation”? There is a hospital visit in that movie as well 🙂

16. April 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Ali is amazing. You have a good guy.
    So glad you are feeling better…ear blockages are horrible I know..horrible.

17. April 20, 2010 3:22 pm

aah! sorry to hear about the ear incident, but i’m glad all is good now. sometimes husbands can surprise you can’t they? yay for Ali!!

that is a beautiful airport. try to stay out of trouble Ameena 😉

18. April 20, 2010 3:35 pm

Gah, I can’t believe you had to go to a hospital…oh no! That is ONE tourist area you don’t ever wanna visit…but at least you got a look at how it looks like…

Hope NO MORE jinxes now!

Oh, Singapore’s airport IS gorgeous, isn’t it?

Japanese Indian food….no comment. 😀

19. April 20, 2010 3:47 pm

So glad that Ali saved the day and took care of you!! 🙂 The japanese sound like they sure do have their healthcare right! I’m happy you’re feeling better now!!

20. April 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Ouch!! Glad you were able to get to the dr’s so quickly, and helped, too! I hope the rest of it goes off without a hitch, though. The airport is beautiful, that is for certain!

21. April 20, 2010 5:13 pm

Oh.Em.Gee. That’s an airport? Damnnnn…. that’s the nicest looking airport I’ve ever seen.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your ear 😦 Having to go to doctors/hospitals in foreign places really unnerves me, but I’m glad you were able to get it fixed 🙂

22. April 20, 2010 5:13 pm

Yikes… Ali to the rescue! That must have been stressful to be in pain and not have your doctor there to fix it- so glad that you’re better now so that you can enjoy your layover. Like a previous commenter said, it would have been unbearable to fly with your ear like that!

23. April 20, 2010 7:35 pm

The worst nightmare – a trip to the hospital and the expense involved in a foreign land. But I’m glad that you are much better now.

Kudos to Ali!

In case you give in to the temptation and buy stuff from the airport, share the pics 😀

24. April 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Oh no. I’m glad you’re feeling much better. It sucks to have such things happen while on vacation.

Looks like you’ve got yourself a nice layover until your next flight. hehehe…

25. April 21, 2010 3:03 am

I’m so impressed that even in the midst of your pain, you took a picture in the Japanese hospital. You are a true blogger 😉 I’m so glad your ears feel better now – it’s no fun to be in a strange locale and have something go wrong.

Indian food in Japan is A-ok! When Peter and I were in London, all we ate was their wonderful Italian food. And then, when we were in Italy shortly thereafter, we ate a lot of sandwiches.

Glad you’re having a good time 🙂

26. April 21, 2010 8:06 am

oh my gosh! all that from swimming! you poor thing! kudos for Ali for getting you help asap~

and that IS an amazing airport. oh my gosh!

glad you are feeling better! can’t wait to see singapore!

xo

27. April 21, 2010 8:32 am

Oh oh oh I am sooo jealous! Sinapore — in my dreams! I hope you have the most amazing time! And I’m glad to hear about the Japanese efficiency ie not waiting 4 hours in the ER. My friend who lived in Japan for 2 years had to have her appendix remove there. Not a scar in sight!

April 21, 2010 9:06 am

So glad you managed to see a Dr. And for less than $800!

Im pretty sure I would flip out if my boyfriend came near me with qtips and a flashlight. You’re far braver than I am! 🙂

29. April 21, 2010 10:09 am

Medical emergency out of my comfort zone is my biggest scare and I cannot begin to imagine a foreign country. But I am glad things worked out for you. My parents went to Singapore last month and they liked the airport too.

30. fitandfortysomething permalink
    April 21, 2010 10:49 am

so glad you got that all taken care of….it could have been so scary but turned out so great!

31. April 21, 2010 11:48 am

oh no! I’m glad your ear got fixed… I get frequent ear aches and stuff- the worst! The hospital visit sounds great- wish we had that here 🙂

32. April 21, 2010 12:25 pm

I’m just catching up… hope you’re having an amazing time in Japan, minus your ear pain! I’m glad you got it all sorted out. I have always wanted to go to Tokyo!

33. April 21, 2010 1:15 pm

You know how to vacation girl.. I just spend 30+ minutes reading your blog and catching up with your travels… 🙂 Sorry to hear about your ear… glad you could get it drained.

wow I will be ckecking on more of Ameena’s travels 🙂

34. April 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Oh no, I’m so sorry that you had to go to the ER on vacation! I’m glad it turned out well though, and kudos to Ali! Sounds like a really fabulous airport — I love the duty free shops!

35. April 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Sorry about your ear pains. Hope you are back on the vacation track and enjoying the rest. The hotel pool looked so good to me I would not be able to resist a swim.

36. TastebudApproved permalink
    April 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Wow, what an airport!

37. April 22, 2010 2:53 am

Thank heavens you fixed your ear! What did they have to do to it?

38. April 22, 2010 6:01 am

Wow that airport is NICE!!
    Sorry to hear about your ear troubles, at least you got it fixed! I had that same problem years ago and it’s the WORST!

39. April 22, 2010 7:02 am

Glad that you got it taken care of prontito. I’ve heard about the Singapore airport but WOW! Hope you enjoyed the layover!

40. April 22, 2010 7:05 am

Wow…what efficient service! Why can’t it be like that here?

41. April 22, 2010 1:15 pm

oh my goodness what an ear story! girl, i hope it is feeling better today! yikes…i get swimmer ear EVERY time i get in a pool so i either wear ear plugs now, or i drop alcohol in my ears when i get out.

the food and AIRPORT ARE STUNNING THOUGH!

42. April 23, 2010 4:03 am

Ouch, falling sick in an unfamiliar country can be bad! Glad you got out of that easy, $118 well spent, I suppose.

Awesome airport! Wow! Wow!

43. Med permalink
    April 23, 2010 10:49 am

Oh no! That sounds so painful! I get that often too because of narrow ear canals they say. Just in case it happens again: When I was on vacation in Bolivia I went swimming and had the same problem. I didn’t let anyone like my brother experiment with it though! There was an ER doctor in our group. He actually got a little bit of rubbing alcohol from the hotel and poured it in my ear then made me quickly tilt my head. The stuck water came right out with the alcohol! My doctor here said it is not a good practice to do all the time but in that situation it was ok and worked like a charm!

1. Methods To Help Blocked Ears | Blocked Ears