Sugar Overload

April 12, 2010

I feel like a grown up now.  I finally purchased a piece of luggage.

After running from the Tumi store to Bloomingdale’s to Macy’s and back to Bloomingdale’s, I finally settled on a Tumi bag.  5 minutes later I had buyer’s remorse but Ali told me to consider my purchase an investment rather than just a carry on.  I’m trying to take his advice but I still have the tags on.  Just in case.  Apparently I have difficulty with committment.

Thanks to my indecisiveness we were late for lunch so we were rushing to the parking lot when we encountered a curious sight:

Ali insisted I take a picture of this random guy carrying around his computer and would like for it to be noted that he isn’t the only person who brings his laptop to the mall.  Noted.

After Maya asking, “Are we there yet?” about 500 times, we finally made it to the party in our finest Fancy Nancy/80’s attire:

And what a party it was!  Suddenly Maya’s Fancy Nancy party didn’t seem so fancy after all.

Pie ‘N Burger set up on site and grilled up hamburgers and hot dogs.

There was also pasta salad, potato salad, and a delicious quinoa salad.  Made specifically with me in mind.  I must say I felt pretty special.

Dessert was pretty ridiculous…in a good way of course.  There were cupcakes from Sweet Lady Jane….

Tons of different types of pies and ice cream with all the trimmings…

And just when I though Maya would keel over from sugar overload…

The birthday boy got to blow out the cutest monkey cake I’d ever seen…

I had two bites of icing from my friend Nadia’s cupcake and seriously, it was the best icing I have ever tasted.

After running around like a crazy child, learning all about bubbles from the cool bubble lady, demanding balloon animals from the balloon lady, and eating her weight in hot dogs, chips, and sugar, Maya stopped coughing long enough to take this picture.

She hasn’t stopped since.

If the coughing doesn’t stop soon I may head down to Costco to purchase a giant bottle of Robitussin.  For me, not for Maya.  Because I need something to lessen the pain of hearing her cough.  And I hear that Robitussin has some beneficial side effects.

1. Danielle permalink
    April 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Wow…that party is probably as fancy as my wedding will be haha (including the monkey cake)

Maya looks adorable in her tutu 😀

2. April 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Make sure you have a big glass of wine with the Robitussin. You can give some of that to Maya to.
    Okay, just kidding! See, this is why I do not have children (I took your advice there too).
    That party looks ridiculous, by the way!

3. April 12, 2010 8:06 pm

BTW, I meant “ridiculous” in a really really good way!

4. traynharder23 permalink
    April 12, 2010 8:18 pm

WHAT AN AMAZING PARTY! dsheesh! i never got a party like that! LOL!
    you look so pretty with maya!

5. April 12, 2010 8:31 pm

I love that Tumi bag! I have a Tumi messenger bag…have had it for TEN YEARS! Still looks stylish 🙂
    You and Maya look great!

6. April 12, 2010 8:51 pm

i hope she’s feeling better and stops coughing soon.. for ur sake and hers! ❤

7. actorsdiet permalink
    April 12, 2010 9:46 pm

congrats on the luggage! and also, that party is insanity. i’ve always wanted to eat at pie and burger. my friend used to work at sweet lady jane and those desserts are goooood.

8. April 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Elderberry syrup. Whole Foods. Go buy it. holistic cough remedy that WORKS and tastes nice, not nasty. and if that doest work, just give her or you a shot of whiskey…kidding!

🙂

9. April 13, 2010 1:16 am

Simply amazing food served! I want all of that and I don’t care if it’s sugar overload.

See it’s a good thing that those goodies are unreachable. My waistline is bad enough as it is.

10. April 13, 2010 2:32 am

Fancy!! Wow, everything looks incredible!!

11. April 13, 2010 2:50 am

I am really surprised she was doing the coughing thing at the party!

What an amazing cake!

12. April 13, 2010 3:41 am

I would have been rivaling Maya for who would get the worse sugar rush… I would have had the cupcake, then seen the pie- it would have been OVER.

My stomach would probably hurt, but then I’d just take a swig of your Robitussin and call it a night…

13. April 13, 2010 3:48 am

You LA types really know how to throw a party! That monkey cake is adorable. All this talk of Maya coughing reminds me of the TV show The Middle. (If you don’t watch it, check out Wednesday’s episode–ABC at 8:30.) The little boy is weird but also has this tic where when he’s nervous he repeats the last thing he says in a whisper while looking down. Hysterical. At least Maya doesn’t do that. Because then I think you’d skip Robitussin and head straight for a bottle of Jack.

14. April 13, 2010 3:48 am

That party looks so fun — what a spread! Man, parties were so different when I was a kid.. 😀

15. April 13, 2010 3:53 am

wow that is one hopping party! whatever happened to the basic ones when i was growing up? why couldn’t i be a little kid now?! no fair

16. April 13, 2010 4:04 am

Wow – LA is the place for birtday parties. Insane!

17. April 13, 2010 4:06 am

I have issues with committing to luggage too! It truly is an investment!

That party is insane! I swear these kid parties are getting bigger and bigger! I hope Maya feels better soon!

18. April 13, 2010 4:12 am

oh what an adorable picture of the 2 of you!

19. April 13, 2010 4:34 am

Oh my GOODNESS– that is a fancy party!! Lol– puts the parties I had as a child to shame 🙂

Adorable pic of you and Maya!

20. April 13, 2010 4:39 am

Tobey has that carry-on (or something really similar to it) and it has held up well, given how much he travels. I like it!

I like how that guy is carrying his laptop on his hip, like it’s no big deal that he’s bringing it to the mall. 🙂

21. April 13, 2010 5:09 am

Those cupcakes and the big cake look way too pretty to eat! I would feel bad cutting them up, they’re like works of art.
    That last picture of you and Maya is stunningly beautiful.

22. louisianagrown permalink
    April 13, 2010 5:22 am

It took me forever to even find the laptop in that picture. How weird. You should see birthday parties around here. Compared to that, I’m not sure they would really be considered parties at all.

And I know a family with a 12 year old son who went through a VERY similar coughing stage not too long ago, and I do believe it eventually went away on its own. Stay strong!

23. April 13, 2010 5:47 am

Wow, you and your friends host some really sweet birthday parties!

24. April 13, 2010 6:39 am

WOW what a party!!! I can’t imagine something like that when I was that age.
    That cake is TOO CUTE!

April 13, 2010 8:20 am

That is such a good picture of you and Maya!!
    And holy fancy cake!!

April 13, 2010 8:21 am

OH! Also, I love that Ali isnt the only person who takes his laptop to the mall. Thats awesome! He should have made friends with that guy.

27. April 13, 2010 8:31 am

Yaye on getting your luggage! I’m so excited for you, 3 more days 😀 I love your sense of humor in your posts, never fails to bring a smile to my face. And that is a great picture of you and Maya!!!!!

I’m jealous of Maya’s party. I would have totally loaded up on all those desserts. Sometimes I think food blogging is bad for me. Teehee.

28. April 13, 2010 8:35 am

Ha, did you enjoy your Robitussin coma? That is such a cute picture of the two of you, and what a great party! I would feel special with a quinoa salad made just for me too 😉 How nice 🙂

29. April 13, 2010 9:02 am

i love that picture of you and maya at the end of your post-just beautiful 🙂
    what a party….bou parties have changed a lot since i was a child. are kids spoiled now?
    love your new luggage-good idea!

30. April 13, 2010 9:08 am

What a lovely birthday. Those cupcakes were just amazing.
    Fab picture of you and Maya. She is a lucky girl to have a mom like you.

31. April 13, 2010 10:22 am

man, what is the deal with the parties out there? they are all so over the top!

heck, skip the robitussin and go straight for a glass of wine and locking yourself in your bedroom! 🙂

32. April 13, 2010 10:29 am

Ameena you and Maya are gorgeous!!!

Yumm, all those desserts look delicious and the monkey cake sooo cute!!

33. April 13, 2010 11:01 am

What a party!! Wow! I’m impressed. I hope to one day throw a party like that. Only I bet it will probably be catered by Papa John’s and Carvel. Daniel is insistent that one day we have a wedding with a make your own sundae station. I insist on a monkey cake!

Love the photo of you and Maya- have either of you considered modeling? You are in LA…

34. April 13, 2010 12:28 pm

I need to buy luggage. Mad jealous over here!!

35. April 13, 2010 2:50 pm

I want a party that fancy! Or at least an invitation to one.

Sorry about the coughing. Kids do the strangest things. Hopefully she’ll snap out of it soon.

36. April 13, 2010 3:47 pm

What an adorable picture! Wow, that sounds like a pretty fantastic party…and those cupcakes look really delicious!

37. April 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Wow what a fancy party! You and Maya look adorable!

I also carry around my laptop, but in my purse, Ali needs a netbook!

38. April 13, 2010 7:50 pm

What a beautiful party!! I am in love with these cupcakes and cake!

I take my little mac with me everywhere! I was at a meeting this morning (Ryan was doing the speaking) and I am typing and facebooking all the time!!

You and Maya are so cute!

XXOO

39. highonhealthy permalink
    April 13, 2010 8:29 pm

That party was for a KID? What the.. none of the parties I had or remember going to were ever that cool. I’m jealous.

Hopefully Maya’s coughing ends soon! You two are very pretty though. 🙂

40. April 13, 2010 9:42 pm

I am jealous of your daughter and her friends.I am also jealous of you. How did you manage to only have a bite of icing? btw you are so beautiful and photogenic!Your family reminds me of someone from a magazine!
    Have a great week!