My Super Sweet 5th Birthday

March 14, 2010

When my brother and I were kids, birthdays were a simple affair consisting of a few family friends, their kids, a cake, and my mother cooking up a storm.  Instead of my birthday being about a theme or expensive loot bags, it was about hanging out with my friends and having good, home cooked food.  Despite the simplicity I always recall having the best time on my birthday! I’ll spare you the pain of hearing my version of the “I walked in 2 feet of snow to get to the bus so I could get to school,” speech, but I must say, oh how things have changed.

Maya’s real birthday is actually tomorrow, March 15, but we celebrated it yesterday.  Initially I wanted to do a Fancy Nancy tea party for her and her little friends, but somehow a small gathering of about 10 kids morphed into a huge event at my in-laws house for 75 people.  And despite not lifting a finger in the kitchen I was still busy doing 100 other things yesterday, and for the weeks leading up to yesterday.  Favors, decor, outfits, activities, and more…planning a kid’s birthday is a full-time job.

It was freezing cold outside yesterday, so instead of setting things up outside we went to Plan B and set up tables for the kids in the house:

We arranged the party favors: Fancy Nancy favor boxes for the girls, coloring books and crayons for the boys, and I had placemats made for all of the kids.

We blew up about a million balloons and set up the dining table, the appetizer area, and the drinks:

Thanks to Royal Kabob, the food was fabulous.  We had samosas, three different kinds of chicken, rice with peas, naan, spinach paneer, daal, and salad.  There was also fruit and kulfi (Indian ice cream) for dessert.

After lunch, Maya and the kids took out some of their aggression on the poor pinata:

We encountered a pinata malfunction which resulted in my brother having to empty the candy manually.  This resulted in candy being hurled from great heights:

Which resulted in a small stampede and a few injuries:

But it was nothing a two layer Fancy Nancy cake, complete with feathers, a boa, a crown, and butterflies, couldn’t fix:

There were a few scary moments when Maya caught other little guests trying to blow out her candles.  She screamed out a big “NO” and then knives were drawn in protest:

But luckily no injuries were sustained.

After the cake fiasco, we moved downstairs for coffee.  My friend Nadia enjoyed a coffee lesson by my father-in-law:

I subjected my family to more pictures:

And cigars were smoked by the adults while kids worked off their cake in the jumper.

Since Maya literally has every single toy in the world, we requested that guests donate books for the Developments in Literacy book drive in lieu of gifts.  I am thrilled to report that we collected at least 50 brand new books to send to Pakistan.  This is definitely a great organization, and they take used books as well, so if you are looking for somewhere to donate children’s books, please check out their site or contact me for more information.

Our generous friends and family still brought gifts for Maya…she scored some gorgeous Fancy Nancy ensembles, a trampoline, a bowling alley, a tent, a new bedspread, an air hockey game, lots of great books, and a pair of cute Burberry shoes.  Don’t be surprised if her shoes mysteriously disappear and you see me wearing identical shoes in my size.

All in all, the event was a success.  Now I just need to get through the birthday celebration at Maya’s school tomorrow and I can breathe a sigh of relief before I have to start planning her 6th Birthday….

1. March 14, 2010 11:08 am

omg! i want to go to maya’s next party!

regarding the pinatas… i think they all malfunction and always need some “help” for the candy to come out.

March 14, 2010 11:47 am

What an awesome birthday party!! That cake almost looks too good to eat!

3. March 14, 2010 12:52 pm

OMG so much to say…
    First let’s take your hair comment you left me. I feel foolish in that I sometimes in my mind think that everyone who reads my blog has my hair type. Duh, wrong! and yes, to all the ladies like yourself who have to spent thousands of dollars on japanese straightening and flat iron time in your bathroom..i feel for you girl. Do whatever it takes to rock those locks! Which I have seen so many indian woman (and men) with long hair in my yoga journey rock their natural hair state and I like it, but i can see where it’s not very sleek and SoCal 🙂

The party pics. Amazing. When I see pics like this is makes me feel that I am somehow a failed mother b/c I didnt do a Fancy Nancy, I didnt even have a party with Skylar’s friends. She doesnt have any. We just moved here so it was just her, SCott and I. And there were no cute party favors or beautiful cake…you totally outdid yourself and it makes me want to try harder. Much harder. But somehow also avoid the commercialism that goes into children’s parties, after all, they are 3, or 4 or 5 and it becomes more for the inlaws/parents/grandparents and in my case, all the hoopla overstimulates skylar. Anyway though, your party looks amazing and it makes me want to up my game 🙂

xoxo

4. March 14, 2010 2:36 pm

i grew up absolutely hating birthdays. but i think if i had you as a mom i would have liked them and looked forward to them 🙂

i love the pictures. everything just looks so wonderful

5. March 14, 2010 2:47 pm

i stand by my MILF comment, you are stunning!! what a fun party, total success. fancy nancy? that’s a new one on me! pinatas and knives..oh the perils of a kid’s bday party! glad everyone came out alive and no eyes were poked out. looks like a great time was had by all!

6. March 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Agreed with Steph, you are such a MILF!

Such a cute party – you know when she grows up, Maya is going to tell the story about how her uncle threw candy down out of the pinata onto her party. And that cake! Mayjah jealousy.

Burberry shoes? Jeez…what a score! I’m with you, though – I won’t tell if you mysteriously have the same pair.

7. March 14, 2010 3:18 pm

u guys are all goregeous…happy bday to maya…
    when i was young it was SIMPLE…maybe u could make your own rules…make it as simple as u want it to be.

8. March 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Oh my goodness, what a fun birthday. Looks like my first grade tea party-themed birthday but times 10. (And Maya’s cake is way cooler.) Her dress is adorable, by the way. I can’t believe you have a 5-year-old; you look much younger.

9. March 14, 2010 3:50 pm

Aww, it looks like it went so well! The decorations are so cute!

My birthday is right before Halloween, so the only themed parties I had involved kids in costumes, and my dad dressed up as a magician…always. I don’t know, I think it was a secret passion of his.

10. fitandfortysomething permalink
    March 14, 2010 3:56 pm

What a stunning family you have and what a party you put together. You look so relaxed and pulled together to have hosted such a great event. Isn’t it crazy-I never had parties like that when I was a child….times have changed. You kitchen is gorgeous too-love the white cabinets.

11. Danielle permalink
    March 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Wow, you went all-out for Maya and it looks great! I think every kid has a memory of a pinata malfunction (at least I do lol)

That’s awesome that you donated all those children’s books 🙂

12. Yasmin permalink
    March 14, 2010 4:05 pm

What a great party! Next time I want to come 🙂

13. March 14, 2010 4:13 pm

What a fabulous party!! I love Fancy Nancy!! 🙂 That cake is so wonderful, love it!! How sweet are yall for donating books instead of accepting gifts?!! I think that is so inspirational and such a great thing for Maya to see at this early age. Yall are awesome!!

14. March 14, 2010 4:35 pm

What an awesome party! Maya is one lucky girl!!

I’ve already started planning in my head what to do for Marin’s first birthday. It’s really all about the parents for a first b-day. I do want to do something cute though 🙂

15. March 14, 2010 5:12 pm

I am so jealous of that espresso machine, you have no idea.

• Nadia permalink
      March 14, 2010 7:28 pm

I’m with you girl, i had truly found my second calling and was all over it!!!

16. March 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Isn’t it amazing the lengths that we have to go to to have a simple birthday party. I went small this year and had a birthday tea for my daughter and three of her friends. They loved it. I LOVE Fancy Nancy. I may have to “borrow” that idea for next year 🙂

17. actorsdiet permalink
    March 14, 2010 5:25 pm

happy bday to maya! it looks like such a fun party!

18. March 14, 2010 5:26 pm

The party looks fabulous and the cake is reaaaly fancy. It could be a sweet 16 cake. You must have spent some serious time and energy planning and hosting not to mention the other thing. No more classroom parties in 1st grade (at least in my daughter’s school) – it’s more fun in preschool. Enjoy! Yr friend Nadia and you look like sisters and both sides of yr families are just beautiful. Happy Birthday to very fancy Maya!

19. March 14, 2010 5:56 pm

You guys know how to throw a party…. Maya is one lucky daughter/grand daughter… 🙂

20. March 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Oh. wow. That is one lucky little girl! I’ve never had a bday party that big!!!
    Your house is absolutely gorgeous!!

21. March 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Ummm Maya’s birthday was better than any and all of the birthday celebrations I’ve had in my lifetime! You really know how to make a little girl’s dreams come true, my friend! I was so impressed and then I saw that magnificent cake and just about died. I must be five inside because I was saying to myself, “Next year…just you wait.”
    And I’ve got to say, you are so beautiful! I loved all of the pictures of you and your family.

22. Nadia permalink
    March 14, 2010 7:34 pm

omg what a party it was!! it was fabulous and you all totally outdid yourselves!! ameena, i feel honored to constantly see myself on your blog…your FIl showing me the ways of a true barrista, starting w the european beans to the heating of the espresso cups…to the frothing of the milk…was such the highlight of my week and i had found my next true calling!! we all had a ball..can’t wait for the next suare!! hope you rested the next day!
    XOXOXOXOXO

23. March 14, 2010 7:35 pm

what a sweeeeeeeet party! we had pool parties growing up, and it was mostly family…but that was an even too. my mom and aunts and such did the food and cake etc…but never EVER had a chic party like that! you are so sweet!

our party for JJ was just fun at home with cupcakes and party favors for us and an all day event (well, it was a week long event) We still are planning a day at Griffin Park to go see the trains. we don’t have family to get together so this was amazing to see!

Maya must have been thrilled!

get some rest now!

24. March 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Holy smokes that party looked like it was a blast, and I don’t mean only for the kids. Maya is one lucky girl to have such a loving Mom!
    Happy birthday to Maya!

25. March 14, 2010 9:54 pm

Aww, so cute!

I had a few B-day parties, but as I got older I always preferred to get taken out to a fancy schmancy restaurants. I was a snotty kid I guess, haha.

26. March 15, 2010 12:23 am

Looks like a real fun party! Happy Birthday Maya 🙂

27. March 15, 2010 5:16 am

Maya’s Super Sweet 5th! What a great party… definitely one for the books!

I love the cake- it’s like a work of art!

28. March 15, 2010 6:31 am

I’m so impressed! This entire post partially explains why children will never be in my future! Mainly, the organizational part.
    I hope you get to rest and to treat yourself like a queen!

29. March 15, 2010 7:24 am

Happy 5th to Maya! I think that is super cool that ya’ll collected books instead of gifts – what a great idea!

30. March 15, 2010 7:29 am

You are SO gorgeous, and such an incredible mom to plan such an amazing event!! Your family is so beautiful… HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MAYA!!! 🙂

31. March 15, 2010 7:39 am

What a wonderful party. You deserve a medal of hounour. Its not an easy thing to plan and I know the cleanup afterwards is horrid. Now its time to treat yourself daaaaahling.
    A super happy birthday to Maya.

32. March 15, 2010 9:46 am

What a fabulous birthday party! Happy birthday Maya!

33. erintakescontrol permalink
    March 15, 2010 11:14 am

Happy Birthday, Maya!

34. March 15, 2010 1:51 pm

happy birthday the pink trend is darling i love the little boxes!!! this is so cute!

35. March 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Happy Birthday to Maya! Wow, her party looks like quite the event! Love that pretty cake, it’s definitely fit for a princess! 🙂

36. March 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Can you be my mom? Can I have a super sweet 22nd birthday?

37. March 15, 2010 5:33 pm

Awwww – such lovely pics, Ameena!
    I´m sure Maya had a blast!
    You´re a fabulous Mom 😉
    Would you adopt me? Haha!
    Have a great week 🙂

38. March 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Wow, you did an amazing job! You want to throw me a retro-active Dirty Thirty birthday? 😀

P.S. Happy Birthday, Maya!

39. March 16, 2010 3:19 am

Wow. That is SO GREAT that you donated books in (mostly) lieu of gifts! How awesome!

I remember parties the same way you do – more low-key. But I know that Maya will remember and cherish this day, which makes it all worth it.

Who is Fancy Nancy? LOL!

What is kulfi made of?

40. June 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Lovely site and theme, would really like to see a bit more content though! Then again my puppet site hasn’t much either – Great post anyway, added your RSS feed! Love this theme, too!

41. January 28, 2011 2:29 am

Hrmm that was weird, my comment got eaten. Anyway I needed to say it’s nice to know that somebody else also mentioned this when i had trouble locating the same info elsewhere. This was the initial place that explained a better solution. Thanks.

1. Sugar Overload « Fancy That…Fancy This