No Cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory

January 31, 2010

I woke up this morning at the crack of dawn.  Literally.  I have no idea why I was up so early on a Sunday but I figured I might as well head to the gym to be productive.  I love being in the gym when it’s empty!  So you can imagine my shock and irritation that there was already someone there and he had the TV blaring!  I see this man often and I just want to beg him to buy some earphones already.  But he’d probably report me to the Board for being rude or something and I’d get fined.  My building hands out fines like they are going out of style.  Ridiculous.

After the gym I made breakfast for Maya, took a shower, read her several books, did a load of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, dried my hair (an interminable process), and finally ate breakfast.  Meanwhile, Ali took a shower and got dressed.  And yes, that’s it.

Instead of getting snippy with each other we decided to go out to lunch with my parents.  Since restaurant options near their house are pretty limited we decided to hit Cheesecake Factory in Redondo Beach.  Despite the fact that the restaurant serves gargantuan portions and basically is a food factory, I still love it.  The Redondo location is particularly beautiful because it is right on the Redondo harbor and our table had views of the water and the stunning yachts.

My supportive husband ordered bread for the table.  I almost caved and had a piece slathered with butter.  But somehow I managed to hold it together.

It helped that Maya decided she needed me to take her potty.  Who knew that Maya’s frequent potty breaks could serve as a mechanism for carb control?

She dug right into her pasta when we returned:

bowtie pasta with butter and cheese

Maya loves her carbs.  So do I.  But I was a good girl and had some protein instead (I didn’t eat much of the rice or any of the sauce):

simply grilled salmon with steamed asparagus and rice

One of these days I am going to be completely salmoned-out.  But at least I didn’t order eggs.

Ali took care of that instead:

scrambled eggs with asparagus, tomatoes and avocado

My mom had the French Country Salad:

mixed greens, grilled asparagus, fresh beets, goat cheese, candied pecans and vinaigrette.

She claims that she is the only person in our family who has no eating issues.  She’s probably right.

I thought she looked particularly nice today:

As did my dad:

He decided not to order anything except a cappuccino he had serious issues with.  That poor cappuccino went back and forth at least three times.  And he still pronounced it a disaster.

I am excited that my dad is kicking off  The Fat Flush Plan tomorrow.  I know that he is going to stick with it!!  (I know that he reads this, hence the cheerleading).

I was feeling particularly generous and ordered Maya an ice cream sundae as a surprise:

I got a spoon of chocolate sauce and a hug in return.  I consider that a fair trade.

I also got a “You are the best Mama in the whole word.”  Not sure if I believe her but it’s nice to pretend she means it anyway.

I had my usual decaf and Ali had a latte cappuccino.  No lattes around here!  Real men drink cappuccinos.  Apparently they also wear Hello Kitty band aids.  Nothing more manly than Hello Kitty band aids.

Afterwards we walked around the harbor for a bit and fed the ducks.

And now we are finally home.  Maya says she feels sick…I was hopeful that we could get through the weekend without any vomit but it’s looking a lot less likely now.

Wish me luck.

1. January 31, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi Ameena!
    Redondo Beach. Sigh. We moved from san diego to phoenix 6 mos ago and dearly miss So Cal. We are trying to get back. In the meantime, your glorious pics in this post and the last remind me what the heck was i thinking about leaving?! i miss it!!!

Cappucino or latte, whatever it was, it sure woulda been slurped in 2 secs flat with me at the table.

Food Factory. Indeed. Scenery. Breathtaking indeed.
    🙂

• February 1, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi Averie – so sorry you miss So Cal so much. I hope you come back soon and then we can meet up!

2. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    February 1, 2010 12:19 am

hope you make it through monday with no vom in sight! your mom is gorgeous, as are you! i didn’t realize you were half white?! i love redondo, haven’t been there in a while. and hey, there’s nothin wrong with a bit of carbs 🙂

• February 1, 2010 1:52 pm

Thank you so much! Your comments always make my day!!

3. February 1, 2010 3:40 am

You have such a beautiful family!

I am upset when I get to the gym first thing and someone else already has some lame-o station on, blaring. Ha ha. It’s too bad you cannot say something to that guy!

Hope Maya feels better today!

4. February 1, 2010 4:52 am

Awww…looks like a great day!

UGH– people BLARE the television at our gym too. It drives me crazy!

5. February 1, 2010 4:59 am

I didn’t know you lived near Redondo Beach. I spent a spring break there once with girlfriends from college and fell in love with the area. Look at that view! Hope the little one feels better!

6. February 1, 2010 5:32 am

The harbor looks so lovely! I can’t help but feel a bit jealous when I see pictures like that in the middle of winter… We’re covered in about 3 feet of snow here. Want to trade? 🙂

Yummy looking eats, as always. It’s sweet that you’re able to have such a nice lunch with your parents.

7. February 1, 2010 5:37 am

your entire family is gorgeous…
    the salmon + white rice look amazing ameena….
    cheesecake? yum 🙂

8. Danielle permalink
    February 1, 2010 6:00 am

Your family is beautiful 🙂
    I have fond memories of going to the Cheesecake Factory as a kid and eating gigantic portions…then cheesecake…then feeling sick. I hope Maya feels better!

9. February 1, 2010 6:14 am

Back when I went to my apartment’s gym, there was a girl who turned the TV on full volume. No amount of dirty looks got her to turn that down. So annoying.

Cheesecake Factory always gives me a stomach ache, too. I think it has to do with the fact that they serve four servings one one plate. Looks like a fun Sunday!

10. February 1, 2010 6:36 am

Sounds like a nice little Sunday! The views of the harbor look beautiful…

11. February 1, 2010 7:40 am

You and your mother are so beautiful!

Its been ags since I’ve gone to Cheesecake Factory… I rarely order cheescake!

12. February 1, 2010 7:57 am

the cheesecake factory is always hit or miss for me…

I ALWAYS get cheesecake. i just can’t say no!!

13. louisianagrown permalink
    February 1, 2010 8:17 am

Mmmm. How can someone be in the presence of cheesecake and not eat it? Your willpower is something to behold.

14. February 1, 2010 8:46 am

What a great afternoon! I love restaurants on the harbor.
    thanks to you I have salmon on the brain a lot more lately! 🙂

xo

15. actorsdiet permalink
    February 1, 2010 9:21 am

hope maya felt better! eeek!

February 1, 2010 10:50 am

I LOVE the Cheesecake Factory. Ive only been there once since we dont have it here, but it was SO good!!

17. February 1, 2010 10:52 am

The views and your family pic’s are so very beautiful. The ice cream does that to me and my niece. Lactose intolerance?

• February 1, 2010 1:54 pm

I never thought that Maya might be lactose intolerant! Good question!!

18. February 1, 2010 10:54 am

I’ve never been to the Redondo Beach Cheesecake Factory. It’s a family favorite for us too. Sounds like you guys had a good time. Your dad and his cappuccino crack me up.

19. February 1, 2010 11:22 am

I’m impressed! I could never pass up the more rich foods at Cheesecake Factory. It is one of my favorite places to eat!

20. February 1, 2010 1:13 pm

I always really enjoy reading your posts.

We used to go to the cheesecake factory and split a portion.. like you said everything there is for more than one meal. I love their brown bread. I haven’t been there in a while though cause the last few times the food quality was just terrible.

21. February 1, 2010 1:18 pm

Haha, that hello kitty bandaid is hilarious! Your hair and skin must be incredibly soft and glowing from all of that salmon you’re eating!! 🙂

22. erintakescontrol permalink
    February 1, 2010 1:37 pm

Love that pic of Maya anticipating Ali pouring on the sauce! Definitely Best Mommy in the World material!

23. February 1, 2010 2:26 pm

What a productive Sunday! Your brunch looks fabulous. Your mama kind of looks like mine… I think they both look like Charlotte Rampling!

24. February 1, 2010 3:44 pm

Great eats! And I am grateful that your daughter wasn’t sick today either!! Hope she is well 🙂

25. February 1, 2010 5:14 pm

What a pretty place to eat. 🙂 I admire your willpower around a bread basket!

26. February 1, 2010 5:52 pm

Hello Kitty band aids ROCK

27. February 1, 2010 7:55 pm

Okay, so I was wondering why you’re so light-skinned!! So you’re a mixed blood…okay, that sounded really wrong…but I mean it in a nice way. Mixed bloods are always so gorgeous for some reason.

I love Cheesecake Factory, actually. Their food isn’t stellar, but it’s consistently satisfactory.

28. February 1, 2010 8:03 pm

I am sorry Maya is sick – but what a lovely day. I also love the cheesecake factory!

29. February 2, 2010 4:48 pm

Haha LOVE the Hello Kitty band-aid. So very very manly 🙂
    Your meal looks yummy! I adore salmon but i’m a true carbaholic. Yay to you for resisting the bread! that takes some willpower girl!

30. February 23, 2010 5:08 am

Thanks for the absorbing read! Alright playtime is over and back to school work.