My name is Ameena and I Read Too Much

December 27, 2009

It is no secret that my favorite thing to do is read. You’d think this is a good habit to have, right?  But the problem is that I would rather read than do just about anything else.  Work, workout, cook, clean, watch TV, go shopping?  These options are not even a close second.  This poses a problem for me when it comes to time management. There is so much to do in a day and reading really shouldn’t be on the top of my list.  And yet I find myself at the library on a weekly basis, collecting more books that I can possibly finish in the allotted time.  But somehow I do finish them because I make them a priority!  And consequently other parts of my life suffer from lack of attention.

How terrible is it that I’d rather read sometimes (a lot of times) rather than pay attention to Maya?  (Now I feel doubly guilty because not only do I feel this way but I just admitted it in writing!)  My mom tells me to get used to it, that having kids is the precursor to feeling guilty about one thing after another.  And she’s right!  I feel guilty about Maya and my lack of quality time together.  I feel guilty for not giving Maya my undivided attention.  I feel guilty for having so little patience.  I even feel guilty for multi-tasking right now…I am writing this while she floats around in the bathtub next to me, waxing on about a chicken surfing with her rubber ducky.  And yet I can’t stop writing this to ask her  what she is talking about because we are going out soon and there will be no time later to write this post because when we get home tonight I want to finish reading my latest library book.

This book is ridiculously addicting.

My guilt about reading doesn’t stop at Maya though…I feel terrible that instead of doing work I will often pick up a book instead.  Then there are the inevitable piles of landry….do the laundry or read a book?  What a toss-up.  I even feel guilty when my DVR’d shows start stacking up and there is no way I can make my way through all the recorded episodes of The Unsellables.  (I miss you Sophie. I will do my best to catch up.)

Anyway, my family knows me all too well.  Instead of staging an intervention they are feeding my addiction.  These are a few of my favorite Christmas gifts:

From my mom – A cookbook from one of my favorite stores…I tried to make something from it this morning but our refrigerator is so empty that I didn’t have most of the ingredients.  Why don’t we have any food? Because I’ve been too busy reading to get to the store.

My sister-in-law gave me this book and I couldn’t wait to start reading it.  So I didn’t.  And now I’m almost done with Chapter 1. It’s a vicious cycle.

But the best book I received I received was from Maya:

They say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, so I opened it up.

It was the best book I’ve ever read. (Double click the picture to read the words.)

And had the cutest book jacket I’ve ever seen.

If this isn’t an incentive to read a little less to myself and more to Maya, I don’t know what is.

(I hope that I’ve redeemed myself with the end of this post. Maybe just a little bit?)

1. December 27, 2009 9:13 pm

i’d say reading to maya is a wonderful solution!! to me reading can never be bad 🙂 and you’re family picks the best books!1
    maya’s book is beautiful!!!

2. December 27, 2009 9:44 pm

Maya is the cutest little girl! That’s a lovely poem.

3. December 28, 2009 5:50 am

Great post Ameena. I have seen that book “Say your one of them” around a lot…hesitant to get it…pricey and I cannot find it in library…cannot wait to see your review on it. I plan to do another book review in a couple of days.
    Interesting post –like I said yesterday…my ability to be physically active is non-existent now…so in order to FINALLY accept I need to be at peace with “just” reading or writing in a blog, etc…
    I think you need your “you” time also…you need to do things for yourself in order to BETTER APPRECIATE your time with Maya…know what i mean?…to enjoy it more?
    Great post as always.
    And re your great comment on my blog yesterday…true…i worry all the time that my post for that day is either too boring or too personal or something…but you have to remember that the blog is for YOU…so write whatever you want..those who enjoy your blog (and you) just OVERALL will read no matter what 🙂

4. December 28, 2009 7:54 am

You are so cute! We all have hobbies we love. It’s all about balance!

Don’t feel guilty, just enjoy your book and lil Maya and your life!

xo

5. louisianagrown permalink
    December 28, 2009 8:55 am

I literally got fifteen books for Christmas, and I’ve been having this huge internal struggle over how to fit in reading all of them and doing everything else I’m supposed to do. When I have a big test to study for, I normally take breaks to work on whatever novel I’m reading. I’m taking a literature class this semester, and I’m upset because how will I have time to read all of that AND all of the other books I want to read. Barnes and Noble makes me sad because I know I won’t be able to read all of the good books in there before my life is over. You’re not alone!

6. December 28, 2009 10:34 am

Sigh the one thing I dislike about college is that I can’t read the books that I want. Now that I am on break I can read what I want. So enjoy you time to read 🙂

7. December 28, 2009 11:21 am

Your guilt about reading and potentially ignoring Maya reminds me of when I was a camp counselor and the last Harry Potter book came out . . . for a good 24 hours I wanted nothing to do with those teenagers! Seriously, don’t feel guilty though. My parents loved to read, and I’m so happy that they passed down that passion for books to me! I love visiting with them and just all of us sitting on the porch with our books and enjoying the weather together.

8. December 28, 2009 7:52 pm

I am so guilty of that myself. I love to read. For xmas, I received a kindle and I’m a little worried about its implications. Now I can download anything and just read it right away – dangerous.

December 28, 2009 8:03 pm

That is so sweet! Maya is such an adorable little girl!
    I love to read too. I read in the tub probably every night. My boyfriend loves it when a hockey game is on because that way he gets to watch it, and I have something to do.

10. December 28, 2009 8:46 pm

I laughed through this post. I know what you’re talking about! I feel the guilt too. Today I decided NOT to run errands, like getting my car’s oil changed, because I would rather stay home and read and write. And your little girl is absolutely beautiful!

11. December 28, 2009 9:19 pm

you can never read to much! this is awesome!

12. December 28, 2009 10:23 pm

Great post!! Reading is very addicting! I enjoy reading well being books and books that guide me to move forward in my career, life and my large world!

Once I get addicted to a good novel though….I am gone for days! What other recommendations do you have??

XXOO

13. December 29, 2009 5:04 am

I love to read too. I am a super fast reader, so that helps. But my problem is, regardless of how fast I read, I still need a few hours to finish a novel. And really, who has an extra three hours in their day IF we are to get everything else done??!?

Once I pick up a book to begin reading it, I’m history for my husband and kiddos.

I’ve found books on tape to be a really great compromise. I can download one on my iPod and listen to it while I exercise…great way to multitask AND let the time quickly slip by while on the treadmill! 🙂

Have you tried that before??

14. December 29, 2009 9:28 am

when get into a really really good book I am the same way! I don’t want to do anything else but read!

15. December 29, 2009 12:26 pm

I love the book Maya made you! I made those with my class when I taught first grade and the parents loved them!

I had lunch at Petros yesterday and it was AMAZING as usual! I love that restaurant – definitely one of my favorites near us!

16. December 30, 2009 12:31 am

I used to prioritize reading over everything else too. One day I felt very guilty and decided to do other things. Now I am hard-pressed for time to read books. Don’t feel guilty, keep reading, nothing like it!

17. January 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Generally I don’t post on too many blogs but I just wanted to say that was great post. Great info. Thanks.

18. January 19, 2010 9:41 pm