The Day After

December 26, 2009

I have this weird problem with living the in the moment.  It is such a challenge for me.  When big occasions come around, i.e. Christmas, I am so filled with dread for the day after that I can’t enjoy the actual day to the fullest.  Ridiculous, right?  And the sad thing?  I notice that Maya has this problem too.  On Thursday she sadly said, “no more Christmas songs in just two days Mama.” I thought I would at least get her to 5 years old before I needed to put her into therapy but apparently I excel at ruining her life!

So the first step was admitting that I have the problem.  I did this right around Thanksgiving when I was nervous for it to be Black Friday.  Back then I told myself that I wasn’t going to dread December 26th, no matter what.  While I cannot say that I was 100% successful, I definitely don’t have that after-Christmas depression today.  This might also be because I have steered clear of the shopping malls.  Is there anything more depressing than seeing all the beautiful Christmas stuff jumbled together on a clearance table?  (Yes Target, I am talking about you).

To make things even easier today I decided to put together a list of things I will not miss about the Christmas season:

1. Insane parking lots – I am looking forward to not playing chicken to find a parking spot at Century City Mall.  I am also very pleased that I no longer have to wake up at the crack of dawn so that I can find a parking spot with a green light.  I’m sorry Westfield, but were you unaware that a good third of your “”state-of-the-art electronic parking management system” doesn’t work?

2. Christmas songs – while I love Bing Crosby’s White Christmas as much as the next person, I am definitely not going to miss James Taylor.  The only thing I find more depressing than a James Taylor song is a James Taylor Christmas song.  My brother and I agreed that if we were ever considering throwing ourselves off a cliff, we’d just listen to James Taylor and he’d managed to help us take the leap.

3. Food – being gluten-free is challenging enough but when I have apple pie and biscuits staring me in the face, well its near impossible.  Even harder is when I actually make the gluten-filled stuff myself (last night) and can’t eat a single bite of it!

4. Confusing greetings – My husband and I were discussing how it can get touchy when trying to decide what greeting to use with different people…Merry Christmas?  Happy Hanukkah?   Happy Holidays?  The anxiety of offending someone sort of puts a damper on things.

Yes this is a sad little list.  Who am I kidding?  The truth is that I am sad that Christmas is over.  I am sad that there  I won’t hear George Michael’s Last Christmas for another year.  I am sad that soon everyone will take their decorations down.  I am sad that the so-called Christmas spirit will probably dissipate soon.  And I am sad that it will soon be New Year’s Eve, the most useless holiday ever.

Back on the positive side, I don’t have to hear James Taylor Christmas songs for another year!

I think today is a good day after all…

December 26, 2009 9:54 pm

I have a hard time living in the moment too. I like to tell myself its totally normal! My problem apparently is that Im too much of a `rule follower`.
    Im jealous that your parking lots are now back to normal. We have another week of craziness here. Thanks Boxing Week! Apparently one day of insane sales isnt enough anymore. They had to make it an entire week!

2. December 27, 2009 3:28 am

I know what you mean! I love Christmas and all that it brings!! I love the music, the family time, the atmosphere, etc! And it’s Christmas….so don’t hesitate…say Merry Christmas!! 😉 I’d never be offended if a Jewish friend told me Happy Hanukkah! People need to get a grip!

Merry Christmas, Ameena! I’m thankful to be getting to know you! 😉

3. December 27, 2009 5:31 am

This is a fun and good post. I no longer have the “depression” either…take it as it comes. Another day, etc. It helps to remember the real REASON for Christmas day…when a person does that, then malls, songs, etc…it all seems trivial.
    Great post Ameena.

4. December 27, 2009 7:05 am

I have this problem sometimes, too, like worrying about the quality of a paper waaay before the due date. I have to pep talk myself and tell myself that there’s a REASON that I’m getting this done early, so I can have time to thoroughly go over it and not be scrambling at the last minute. Same for holidays—on a holiday, I just forget about absolutely everything until the next day. I don’t allow myself to worry. As soon as an “anxious” thought pops up, I push it to the back of my mind.

I also say Merry Christmas regardless of the person if it’s Christmas day. If they don’t celebrate it, they can just forget about the actual religious part and treat it as a day to celebrate and well, be merry! :]

5. December 27, 2009 11:46 am

I know what you mean. I steer clear of the shops right after the holidays too. Its no fun when its that crowded. I do, however, love getting all those yummy chocolates at half price though LOL. MMMMmmm… chocolate.

6. December 27, 2009 12:42 pm

I know exactly what you mean. I too have challenges with living in the moment!
    But I do enjoy a little Christmas music in July:)

7. December 27, 2009 2:29 pm

tee hee this was a great post. xmas is only so much fun b/c it comes only once a year; all things – good and bad – come to an end

8. December 27, 2009 2:30 pm

happy few days after christmas 🙂 i totally know what you mean living in the moment is so dang difficult!
    we can always keep trying!!
    happy sunday!!

9. December 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Just checked out all the wonderful pics on your previous post, your family is lovely 🙂

10. December 27, 2009 5:01 pm

We took a drive down Sunset on Christmas and when we got onto PCH I couldn’t believe how packed the beach was in Santa Monica! I guess you were part of that crowd! Glad you all had fun!

11. December 27, 2009 5:47 pm

I like your post! So true. I put the tree up 2 days before Thanksgiving.. listened to Michael Buble Christmas music as often as I could, and now its over. Just like that. But I am with you that I’m happy the holiday food is behind me. I mean, you can only do sugar cookies for breakfast for so long!! 🙂

12. louisianagrown permalink
    December 27, 2009 6:05 pm

I won’t miss any of those four things either, ESPECIALLY christmas music!

13. December 27, 2009 7:47 pm

Well, that’s what everybody struggles with. We seem to have wild imaginations, of everything that can possibly go wrong, etc. We think ahead too much!
    But I’m glad you’re feeling better…hope tomorrow is an even better day!