Disneyland Bootcamp

December 29, 2009

Sunday was a day of rest.  We spent the day sitting in front my parent’s fireplace reading,

and having tea, crumpets, oatmeal bars, and dried fruit and nuts.

It was freezing cold (hence why we huddled next to the fireplace) but the sky was clear and the sunset was amazing.

Little did we know how much we’d appreciate all the relaxation when Monday rolled around.

We’d been planning to go to Disneyland for a while and since Ali and I are both off work and Maya’s school is closed, we figured, why not Monday?

Most people just drive down to Disney buy tickets at the gate and go from there.  Not us.  Why?  Because we can never do anything the easy way.

Ali began planning and strategizing Christmas Day.  He poured over a number of websites trying to find a deal on tickets (no luck), then memorized the park’s map and selected the attractions we’d be visiting, and finally put together a schedule for the day.  Maya and I were just relieved it included bathroom breaks.

We were told to report at 06:00 hours on Monday morning.  We were too terrified to argue about the early call time.  It doesn’t happen often, but when Ali means business, he means business.  So after cramming some breakfast down our throats, a la GI Jane, Ali treated us to a roller coaster simulation as we went careening down the 5 freeway.  We had not only the car’s GPS telling us where to go, but Ali frequently consulted his iPhone GPS too.  One can never have too many directions. Meanwhile, in the backseat Maya looked a little green but she knew deep down there were not going to be any stops, no matter what.  I’m pleased to note she was too scared to throw up.

Forty minutes later Maya and I were a bit shaken but happy to be at Disneyland with no visible scars.  The park was fully decked out for Christmas:

Ali wasn’t able to appreciate the decor due to his furious pace through Main Street.  I could barely keep up but was still able to catch a bit of his muttering that he didn’t understand how other people had gotten there before us.

We made our way through a bunch of rides in an hour and a half because there was absolutely no wait.  At that point I had to hand some kudos to Ali for making us get there early.  It nearly killed me.

Pirates of the Caribbean, Teacups, Dumbo, and Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride were some of Maya’s favorite rides.

Ali stopped checking his watch to smile for this picture, but then we were a few seconds late for Toon Town.

Luckily we all agreed it was overrated so we were able to leave Toon Town a minute or two early to make up for the photo opportunity.

“No more pictures, Mama.”

Once our bootleg snacks were finished Ali and Maya demanded lunch.  By this time we stopped congratulating ourselves on picking a slow day to be at the Happiest Place on Earth and started worrying that soon there wouldn’t be enough room for us to walk.

After a number of attempts to find a restaurant without a 45 minute wait or hot dogs on the menu, we found the Blue Bayou.  I truly had no illusions that this restaurant would be good, after all, where can you get decent food at an amusement park?

I ordered the Cajun Salmon with rice and vegetables and am pleased to say it was excellent!  The salmon was cooked to perfection and had a nice, spicy kick to it.  I didn’t eat much of the rice but the vegetables were good too.  Even better was that they sent the chef out to personally speak with me when I requested no butter/cheese.  It was amazing that they not only accommodated my food allergies but were so nice in the process.

After lunch we headed to Autopia so Maya could drive.  I wasn’t too surprised when we hit traffic.

And naturally, in that traffic we saw a girl doing her lipstick.

Again, not surprised.

We felt warm and fuzzy after visiting It’s a Small World:

We overpaid for some face painting:

Rode some germy horses:

And some of us consumed a ridiculous amount of ice cream with our germy hands:

By this time I was fading fast…too many people, too chilly, and I was way too tired.  So we made one last stop to buy some new ears:

And then drove home and collapsed.  I was hoping that Maya’s Disney adventure would tire her out for a few days but this morning she woke up bright and early and asked, “What are we doing today, Mama?”

I have no idea, Maya.  I have no idea.

December 29, 2009 2:53 pm

I have only been to Disneyland once. It looks like so much fun!

2. December 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Oh my gosh you are cracking me up!
    I haven’t been to Disney land in ages and hope to maybe later this year…thanks for the peek!

Hope you get some rest today! hehe

3. Danielle permalink
    December 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Hahah I can’t believe that girl was putting on lipstick in the middle of a ride. It looks like it was a fun day 🙂

4. December 29, 2009 5:40 pm

What a great day!!! We have Disney World in our backyard, but I’ve never been to Disneyland! I always have wondered if it was that different from ours?? Looks like you have very similar things there…

Hope you get some rest today!!!

• December 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Although I’ve been to Epcot I haven’t been to Disneyworld. I would think your Disney is better though because it is newer. It is probably cleaner!

5. December 29, 2009 5:41 pm

I’ve only been to Disneyland once. It looks so pretty decorated for Christmas.

~ Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run

6. December 29, 2009 5:59 pm

OH! It looks like you had so much fun! Love the face painting and that huge banana split!

*Check out my Boomi bar giveaway @ MonicaOnTheGo.com*

7. December 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Oh my! What a fun filled day! I went to Disneyland in 1997-when I was ten. This brings back memories 🙂 Excepts my parents had more fun than I did 🙂

8. December 29, 2009 7:03 pm

Hahah aw what an awesome trip. I kind of love how planned out you guys had it. Early day though definitely. But sounds like it was worth to get an early start on the ridess 🙂 I went to Disney World when I was quite a bit younger. I’d love to be able to do another Disney visit soon though!

9. December 29, 2009 7:17 pm

That is a kid’s dream come true, to go to Disneyland! I would love to visit again…I was there once when I was 12, but you’re never too old for a Disney bootcamp! 😀

10. December 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Wait a second…do you mean disneyland…as in THE disneyland???
    I am one of these kids that grew up dreaming of going to these places…but a trip to the movie theatre at the local spot was about as exciting as it got 🙂
    Wonderful post again Ameena…

11. louisianagrown permalink
    December 29, 2009 8:34 pm

This really cracked me up. I hope and pray that I can catch a man like this one day. I don’t need any lazy, laid back people in my life. Bring on the men with schedules and GPS!

12. December 30, 2009 12:23 am

I went to a theme park once, early hours, week day… no fun! I like it better with the crowds and the screaming and yelling. Woo hoo!

13. December 30, 2009 6:50 am

Lol, this post cracked me up so many times! I think the whole planning drill sargent thing runs in guys- my dad and boyfriend have their moments all too often.

And omg, bootleg snacks–yessssss! Hahah, glad it all went well for you guys! Maya looks so happy!

14. erintakescontrol permalink
    December 30, 2009 10:02 am

Haven’t been to Disneyland since I was 7, so I loved being able to live vicariously through your post! The facepainting was beautifully done and worth every penny, I bet! Is it OCD of me to carry disinfecting wipes wherever I go for the germs? In the case of the horses, I would have needed them, for sure!

15. December 30, 2009 10:28 am

Thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog.. I must say the same for you!! You and your family are beautiful. Your trip looks and sounds like sooo much fun! AND yaa for finding a good place to eat in the middle of the park! lol 🙂

16. December 30, 2009 11:03 am

I haven’t been to Disneyland or Disneyworld in ages! It is one of my very favorite places and definitely on my list of places we must go next time we are back in the states. It looks like even though you had a fast and furious schedule, you ended up having a fantastic day.

17. December 30, 2009 2:19 pm

So fun!! Looks like an awesome day=) I love the pic of the girl putting on the lipstick while ‘driving’. So fitting. lol. Looks like you had one great day!! Take care!

18. Ashlei permalink
    December 30, 2009 6:30 pm

I LOVE those Nutcrackers by the fireplace. Nutcrackers are some of my favorite Christmas decorations. 🙂

Sounds like you had a blast at Disneyland. I hope to go someday – I’ve only ever been to Disney World in Orlando. 🙂

19. December 31, 2009 7:33 am

I PUFFY Heart anything Disney! I could not believe all the food finds I have found over the years that are so accommodating to those with food allergies.

Happy New Year!

20. December 31, 2009 9:31 am

Looks like ya’ll had so much fun! I love Maya’s book to you!