a detour

July 15, 2016

I don’t spend much money on clothes, shoes, makeup, purses, or my hair (which is evident).

This is because all of my money goes towards flight change fees.

Last week I changed my return flight from LAX to JFK twice. First from Wednesday to Saturday, and then from the red eye to an afternoon flight.

I obviously like to have options.

IMG_3900

LA Lunch @ Frida’s: Tableside guacamole. One of the few things I miss about LA is the fabulous Mexican food.

Also, I was flying solo, so I figured why not live on the wild side and actually take a daytime flight so I could catch up on a few movies? After all, if I wasn’t on Maya-barf-patrol, I could relax, right?

Well this brilliant plan turned my 5 hour flight into an 11 hour flight as we circled the skies around JFK for hours, for reasons still unknown to me. And then we ended up landing in Philadelphia because we had no more fuel to circle the skies around JFK.

IMG_3916

At lunch…moments after Maya dropped watermelon juice all over my white jacket. Which is no longer a white jacket, but now a white and pink jacket.

But here’s the worst part: As we sat on the tarmac at Philadelphia for what seemed like an eternity, the kid in the seat in front of me threw up EVERYTHING HE’D EVER EATEN.

Also for what seemed like an eternity.

And as any person with Emetophobia (intense fear of vomiting) knows, the only thing worse than seeing/listening to your vomit-prone child throwing up, is seeing/listening to someone else’s vomit-prone child throwing up.

Especially while stuck on a plane on the tarmac in Philadelphia.

IMG_3910

Back in NY. Love it here but the humidity is KILLING our hair.

We are getting on another red-eye tonight to London, and for the first time in a long time I am not making a SINGLE change to our flight. This is in hopes that I can get through the trip without seeing or hearing vomit.

FROM ANYONE.

Wish me luck.

1. July 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Have fun in london.. Nice weather. ..here

• July 17, 2016 3:46 am

The weather is great here! So happy to be in London again. ☺

• July 17, 2016 12:52 pm

How long you there for.. Any chance of visiting up north..

• July 18, 2016 3:23 am

Not this time but maybe when we’re here for a longer trip!

• July 18, 2016 3:25 am

Ok. Great.. It seems the weather has come with you.. its been nice and warm and sunny ..

2. July 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Have a great trip 🙂

3. July 20, 2016 8:21 am

Oooh yeahhh I’m not a person who can withstand the sight/smell/sounds of vomit either. Nope nope nope. I’ve noticed an influx of flights detouring and getting delayed lately. My coworkers were in NYC for what was supposed to be 2 days, but ended up being gone for a week because flights were canceled, they were being routed to Myrtle Beach by way of Philly before coming back to Detroit. Makes no sense to me. I mean honestly, don’t these people know who we are?! Have fun in London 🙂

• July 21, 2016 3:02 am

Myrtle Beach…Philly…Detroit? I think I would have had a breakdown. So I probably shouldn’t be complaining about my slight delay? ☺

4. Jessie E. permalink
    August 4, 2016 11:56 am

Nope nope nope 😦 That is pretty dreadful, Ameena. What rotten luck! I hope your flight to London went MUCH better and that you’re enjoying yourself!

• August 4, 2016 4:55 pm

Thank you Jessie…the flight to and from London was seamless, luckily!

5. July 27, 2017 11:39 am

Hilarious! I feel your pain though – flights are the bane of my life!