what a letdown

May 18, 2016

My Mother’s Day was spent on a flight back from Atlanta.

During this trip, I stared at beautiful Instagram shots of mothers and their children in fields of lavender (I’m not making this up) reading captions like, “My life was nothing until little ____ was born.”

Here’s the truth: I admire those who feel like this but I do not feel like this.

IMG_3574

In Atlanta on the Friday before Mother’s Day…

As a matter of fact, my Mother’s Day entailed a flight back from Atlanta* where I recall having more than my usual quota of disagreements with Maya.

(*Incidentally, we had a great time in Atlanta. Great hotel, great food, great weather. I don’t want this post to be totally negative – just like 98% negative.)

IMG_3573

We had dinner at the Atlanta Fish Market, which I highly recommend…

I lectured Maya about mixing her clean and dirty clothes in her suitcase, “For God’s sake, it’s not like this is the first trip you’ve ever taken – you know better. Now I have to wash EVERYTHING because you were too lazy to get a plastic bag.”Β

I also believe I whispered on our flight (in that scary – I’m-About-To-Lose-My-S@#$-Lethal-Whisper) that “I can’t be responsible for what might happen if you kick me or my purse one more time.”

IMG_3575

I had lobster stuffed with crab, scallops, and shrimp. It was delicious.

But the icing on the cake was the fact that Maya did absolutely nothing to mark the day. She didn’t even give me a card.

For a minute I wanted to blame Ali, as this is how I get through most things that anger me, but then I realized that:

• Although it may often seem like it, I’m not Ali’s mom, so why should he worry about Mother’s Day?
  • Plus he was traveling prior to Atlanta so he couldn’t exactly facilitate anything.
  • And at 11-years-old Maya is old enough to know better.

IMG_3576

And we both had decent hair during the trip. Bonus.

Frankly, it’s been a week and I’m still annoyed. It’s like not like I asked for a designer handbag or something…I just wanted a card.

So in summary, Mother’s Day = a day with tons of Hallmark-created expectations and very little delivery.

Especially in my house.

1. May 18, 2016 6:42 am

If it’s any consolation, my “kids” are now 32, 25 and 23 and I’ve never gotten a card that they’ve gone and picked out themselves. Only when they lived with us and my husband went and picked cards for them to give me did I ever get cards. Sigh! Motherhood. It’s a thankless job! πŸ™‚

• May 18, 2016 6:04 pm

Wait…so are you telling me that your kids have NEVER given you a card? Even now that they are older??

• May 21, 2016 11:20 am

Yep, ESPECIALLY now that they’re older. When they were little, sometimes they made cards in school for Mother’s Day, and also, when my husband bought the cards, they would write something on the card and sign it. But to go out and buy a card, not that I can ever remember! πŸ™‚

• May 22, 2016 10:28 am

I’m really sorry. 😦 That seems so wrong!

• May 22, 2016 10:30 am

It is! But I’ve come to learn that all the nagging in the world doesn’t do anything; it in fact creates the opposite effect I intend! πŸ™‚

2. May 18, 2016 9:01 am

what!! i would never not give my mom a card. okay, maybe if i was 11 and my Dad didn’t remind me?! no excuses for grown kids!!! haha.

• May 18, 2016 6:04 pm

Even at 11 I KNEW BETTER. πŸ™‚ Maya not so much…

3. May 18, 2016 9:41 am

I mean, my dog didn’t get me a mother’s day card either. I blame REB.

• May 18, 2016 6:04 pm

I think your dog has a valid excuse though, seeing as he can’t speak? LOL

4. May 18, 2016 9:49 am

Reed is too young to give real gifts..but my husband somehow managed to not even give so much as a card for a consecutive birthday, Mother’s Day, and wedding anniversary. Hurumph. Bleep bleep bleep.

• May 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Wow…your husband missed the memo I guess. I’m sorry. 😦

5. May 18, 2016 10:03 am

Motherhood…best job in the world? And I think the age we live in is part of the problem. We used to always make or get a card for our parents on Mother’s/Father’s Day, but these days it seems like unless someone does it for you or you set a calendar reminder you’re just never going to get it done. So I guess what I’m saying is you need to teach Maya how to make calendar reminders.

• May 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Maya’s on Google Drive so maybe I should set her on on Google Calendar? Brilliant idea actually!!

6. May 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Ahhh she loves you. It’s all in Heart

• May 18, 2016 6:06 pm

Not sure that’s the case Maha but apparently you see the good in people whereas I find that a bit more challenging. πŸ™‚

• May 18, 2016 6:13 pm

πŸ™‚ you never know how she’ll surprise you in future. I look forward to that post on love love for Maya and how her surprise made you all tearful and joyfulπŸ˜… 😍😍😍

7. May 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Such a different post. Thank you

8. May 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Awww. happy mother’s day Ameena. Motherhood is a thankless job from what I see… it’s okay. πŸ™‚

• May 18, 2016 6:06 pm

Thank you my friend. It is a thankless job but I can’t complain too much. (I know I do anyway!!)

9. May 19, 2016 9:41 am

Maya might be just too young for this kind of thing πŸ™‚ I started giving a little something to my mum on Mother’s Day when I was like 13 or so I guess. I am sure she loves you!

• May 19, 2016 11:56 am

Really? I remember giving my mom something every year FOREVER. πŸ™‚ Maybe my expectations for Maya are a bit too high?

10. May 24, 2016 3:51 pm

Awww bless you Ameena! I’m pretty certain that you’re a great mum and that Maya knows that well and truly. You can see it in her smiles on the pictures. Honestly (parents can tell these kinds of things πŸ˜‰ )

• May 24, 2016 7:54 pm

Such a nice message to read…especially 5 minutes after Maya and I had a disagreement. Thank you! πŸ™‚

• May 25, 2016 3:08 am

Sometimes you gotta think big picture and long-term my friend! πŸ˜€

11. Farida Gharwal permalink