laundry detergent. lots of it.

April 27, 2016

About 3 months ago, I asked Ali to pick up laundry detergent.

I specified he needed to visit Duane Reade and only Duane Reade.

I instructed him to purchase Ology detergent and only Ology detergent.

I encouraged him to take a photo of our nearly empty bottle so as to avoid confusion.

IMG_3466

On our way to a school fundraiser…for which I actually did my hair and put in my contact lenses.

Then the craziest thing happened!

Ali brought home the right detergent. And not just that, he bought TWO bottles because they were on sale.

I commended him for his forward thinking.

IMG_3485

Took a quick trip to LA and witnessed an in-flight wedding proposal. Luckily she said “yes.” Which was great because I can’t think of anything more awkward than sitting next to someone for 6.5 hours after they’ve said “No.”

Two weeks ago Ali found himself at Duane Reade again – honestly, he’s there every other day – where he picked up 2 additional bottles of detergent.

Because they were again on sale.

When he returned home with this unexpected surprise, I was a bit concerned with our inventory levels but swallowed my storage fears and instead commended him (again) on his forward thinking.

IMG_3498

My 48 hour trip to LA included a morning walk with my dad. Love my walks with my dad. Love my dad.

Yesterday Ali came home with 2 additional bottles of detergent.

This brings our current inventory to 5 bottles of detergent (one just finished) in an apartment with no storage space. None.

IMG_3435

At lunch where Maya and I celebrated good hair weather and clean clothes.

Sorry, but I can no longer celebrate Ali’s forward thinking because I do believe he keeps buying detergent just so he can watch me stress out about where to store it.

Because what could be more fun than continually hauling heavy bottles of detergent home with the main purpose of annoying your wife?

Not much I guess.

1. seana permalink
    April 27, 2016 6:39 am

Ha ha. Ali did his best. I too can’t resist a “deal” and stock up when on sale. I also have top loaders w/ a base so all the extras can go there. Plus a basement as well. You’ll laugh. I order my paper towels and toilet paper by the case from Amazon and throw them in the basement. Can’t you store the extras in the over or something ๐Ÿ™‚

• April 27, 2016 6:46 pm

We have a stackable washer / dryer (which is a rarity here in NYC) so there is no where to store anything on or around the actual unit. And I actually use the oven (again a rarity here in NYC where people apparently store their shoes instead)!

2. April 27, 2016 8:35 am

The man is efficient. Two birds, one stone.

• April 27, 2016 6:47 pm

He needs to also be efficient when it comes to storage… ๐Ÿ™‚

3. April 27, 2016 10:07 am

Maybe this is Ali’s way of saying he wants to be in charge of DOING all the laundry entirely on his own, including folding and Ironing.

• April 27, 2016 6:47 pm

Now you’re just going crazy! Ali do the laundry? Ali iron? Never going to happen. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. April 27, 2016 1:17 pm

Even when he goes right, he goes wrong. Tell him he can only be considerate when necessary. ๐Ÿ˜›

• April 27, 2016 6:48 pm

There are always more wrongs than right because he’s married to someone who nitpicks everything to death. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. April 27, 2016 1:43 pm

This post totally reminds me of my dad and the way he shops. We always know when he finds a good sale!

• April 27, 2016 6:48 pm

My dad is the same way (it’s an Indian thing)…but Ali never cares about a sale unless it applies to detergent. Apparently.

6. April 27, 2016 1:54 pm

I think your husband is turning into my dad…..

7. Anjum permalink
    April 27, 2016 2:05 pm

He meant well ๐Ÿ˜Š. I would rather have 5 bottles of the right brand than one of the wrong.

• April 27, 2016 6:49 pm

You are my cousin and you have to side with me NO MATTER WHAT. ๐Ÿ™‚

Plus you live in TX and have a whole lot of storage space…when you come visit me you’ll see why detergent stresses me out…

8. Priya permalink
    April 28, 2016 12:39 am

This is just hilarious! Sometimes I wish my husband would just swing by a grocery store and surprise me with detergent or tooth paste even! But thanks to his absolute hatred for shopping of any kind and the miracle of technology – Google shopping express, prime now and instacart – everything we need and then some (bcoz there is always a minimum $$ order) shows up at the door. And so, just to annoy him, I go to the grocery store to browse and buy random new-to-me products. Ha!

• April 28, 2016 11:43 am

Ali tried out the InstaCart and Google Express (or whatever itโ€™s called) but I donโ€™t think he was too thrilled with their minimums either. Me? I just stick with Amazon Prime and try to plan 2 days ahead.

Love that you donโ€™t want flowersโ€ฆbut just toothpaste. LOL

9. April 28, 2016 6:24 am

Hat’s off to Ali and his smart thinking. It seems he’s, away from you guys, been watching extreme coupon-ning on TV where not only do your stock up, you also save money. For 8 months, at least, you can put side your worries of running out of laundry detergent.

• April 28, 2016 11:41 am

I saw that extreme coupon show onceโ€ฆmy God it scared the living daylights out of me. How people can hoard and not stress out really stresses me out!

10. Nadia permalink
    April 29, 2016 4:32 pm

I’ve been away too long…. This is the funniest thing I have ever read I am LMAO!!!!

11. May 1, 2016 6:19 am

I totally relate to this. Maybe it’s Asian thing. We have one garden shed solely dedicated to all these special offer things. You’ll see boxes of Surf, Ariel anything everything

12. May 7, 2016 10:36 pm

That is hilarious! You’ve got a funny husband Ameena. It’s cute that he knows how to push your buttons. Your comment about the couple that engaged was hilarious too, i can’t imagine being on that flight if she said no.

• May 8, 2016 11:34 am

Sometimes he’s funny…sometimes he drives me bananas! ๐Ÿ˜

13. May 24, 2016 3:48 pm

If there has been a consistent thought in my head over the years from reading your blog Ameena it is that your husband is a sort of hero-god to me. When I grow up I want to be him, I truly do ๐Ÿ™‚