my neighbor

January 18, 2016

You must be thinking…two posts in one week Ameena? Something very important must have happened to justify this!

Well, not really. But I feel COMPELLED to relay details about the mother sitting next to me on my flight to LAX this past Friday.

IMG_2851

On my flight to LA…love the snow covered mountains.

First off, she had the coveted aisle seat, which probably kicked our 5 hour and 14 minute relationship off on the wrong foot. (Although the seating arrangements were obviously my own fault!)

And she didn’t share well, hogging up the table between our seats with her numerous cups of tea, water, and wine, and buckets of cashews and cookies (often all at once).

But what really troubled me about this lady was that she got up 251 times during the flight to cater to her two whiny children who occupied the two seats across the aisle.

IMG_2861

Watching the sunset from my parents house.

So if these kids were little I’d totally get it. I mean, nobody needs to relay the importance of quick airplane reflexes when your child barfs at the drop of a hat. But these kids were barf-free (not even a threat), and at 8 and 10 years old were definitely old enough to:

• Tie their own shoes. (Seriously, she tied her son’s shoes.)
  • Adjust their own seat.
  • Find their own iPad / book / earphones.
  • Reach into their carry-on, in front of THEIR feet, to get their own salami. (Not really sure what to say about the salami. Really I just don’t.)
IMG_2864

A half picture of the very pretty Rosario Dawson, who sat in front of me on my way back to NYC this morning.

I’m looking deep (very deep) inside to see if I’m really just jealous that this selfless mom had no problem getting up 251 times during the flight…or if I’m just allergic to lazy, spoiled children.

I know I’m unfairly judging right now but I’m tired and jet-lagged from my red-eye home this AM. Plus I just cleaned out the fridge, emptied my suitcase, made the beds, emptied the dishwasher, and cleaned Maya’s breakfast dishes.

Maybe my flight companion and I had more in common than I initially thought?

1. Kimberly permalink
    January 18, 2016 12:06 pm

Oh gosh. The first thing that I thought was “what are these divas going to be like at 18….or 21?” To be fair, the mom is doing. But can you imagine in the future, the poor guy or a girl that is marrying into this family? Yes, I totally went there. No, I don’t believe you have that much in common with her. You’re trying to strike a healthy balance. But my children consists of 2 puppies. That’s the extent of my mothering. Unless you count my husband?

• January 18, 2016 8:00 pm

I definitely count your husband…especially if he’s anything like mine. LOL

Thanks for the comment Kimberly!

2. January 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Yes, that would be irritating. A good reminder for all of us mothers to raise self-sufficient children. They can get their own salami, or starve!

• January 18, 2016 8:00 pm

The salami is such a mystery to me…of all things to pack for snacks on a plane??

3. January 18, 2016 2:41 pm

OH no… I hate it when next seat person has to get up so many times.. I am very impatient myself .. I usually try to get the fire exit seat ..

but this was silly catering for the kids all the time when they could have done it all themselves.. how are they going ot do once they are adults will they wait for MOMMY to do all for them then also SAD

• January 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Agreed…what will happen when they’re adults? I have no idea.

Thanks for the comment Bikram!

4. hcoving permalink
    January 18, 2016 2:58 pm

Salami? On an airplane? In an enclosed space? So obviously she doesn’t care one bit about the other people on the plane.

Time to teach those kids to take care of themselves! Even my special needs guy can get his own things and adjust his seat.

• January 18, 2016 8:02 pm

Really admirable that you are raising self-sufficient boys H! They (and their wives) will thank you down the road.

5. January 19, 2016 5:28 am

The thing I hate most about coming back from vacation is having to clean the entire house literally before I jump back into my routine. It’s so exhausting. Did you say anything to her? Or speak with her at all? (is that how you found out about her kid’s ages?)

• January 19, 2016 7:43 am

No, she refused to even make eye contact with me! It was the weirdest thing. 😦

6. January 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Oh wow this is interesting. I don’t know what to say except I can never imagine myself going this far and tying 8-10 year old’s shoe.

• January 20, 2016 6:32 am

I think I stopped tying Maya’s shoes somewhere around age 2…lol.

7. January 20, 2016 7:44 am

I’m a very judgy-wudgy person when I travel (because I used to do it all. the. time. for work) so I don’t have tolerance or patience for weird fellow travelers like the one you’re describing. ESPECIALLY when it comes to coddling mothers.

• January 21, 2016 7:57 pm

I find that the more I travel the more judgy I get about my fellow travelers!

8. January 22, 2016 8:14 am

I, personally, am allergic to whiny children.

9. May 23, 2016 4:19 pm

I would have been climbing the air cabin roof I must admit. Hmph some people… 😉