4 potatoes

August 21, 2015

Since arriving in London two weeks ago, my scone consumption has spiked to record highs and I’ve been eating jam straight up with a spoon.

(If I’m being honest, I actually eat jam with a spoon outside of London too. I began this classy habit as an attempt to replace my chocolate habit and now I’m not sure which one is worse.)

IMG_1912

Anyway, in an effort to regain control over the scones and jam, I decided to make a carb-free, sugar-free dinner a few nights ago.

Unfortunately I had no choice but to ask Ali to pick up some potatoes (an acceptable carb in my book) at Marks & Spencer, because Maya and I couldn’t get there before they closed (because we were eating scones, of course).

IMG_1915

Me: Can you pick up baking potatoes on your way home? They come four in a bag.

Ali: Four what?

Me: Four potatoes.

Ali: In a box?

Me: No, in a BAG. A BAG.

Ali: Hmm. I’ll FaceTime you from Marks.

IMG_1929

At this point I should have given up. But in lieu of quitting I decided to employ sarcasm instead.

Me: No, don’t FaceTime me. Or call me. Or text me. As a matter of fact, I won’t look at my phone for the next hour. You can navigate Marks & Spencer. I know you can! Come home with the potatoes. Or not. Either way I can’t talk about it for one more second.

IMG_1938

Guess what happened?

• Ali brought home 4 potatoes.
  • In a bag.
  • I didn’t get a call asking me any questions.
  • I didn’t get a text asking me any questions.
  • He didn’t FaceTime me.
  • I made homemade fries and scrambled eggs. And they were fabulous.

A happy ending for a change?

1. August 21, 2015 3:03 am

Good to hear! And hopefully the carb-free sugar-free dinner will allow you to go back to your regularly scheduled scones:)

• August 21, 2015 3:09 pm

I managed to avoid having a bite of Ali’s TWO scones today, but I did have some jam. With a spoon….

2. seana permalink
    August 21, 2015 7:34 am

Hooray for Ali! Mission accomplished Although, I’ve never been to a store that sells four potatoes in a bag. At first glance, I thought the chocolate covered treat was a chocolate covered potato πŸ™‚ Eat all the jam you want. It’s made from fruit so it’s good for you.

• August 21, 2015 3:10 pm

It’s funny how all the groceries in London are packaged as though on an as-needed basis. No 5 lb. pack of potatoes to be found Seana!

3. August 21, 2015 7:34 am

YAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!! So the lesson here is, sarcasm!! The pictures look great! to die for!!! Enjoy πŸ™‚

• August 21, 2015 3:10 pm

Sarcasm is almost always the answer isn’t it? πŸ™‚

4. August 21, 2015 7:59 am

Lucky you to be able to feast on scones and stay so slender!! If I ate even one, it would stick to my body in a more or less permanent way.

Happy ending to your story. πŸ™‚

• August 21, 2015 3:10 pm

The truth is I never eat an entire scone. Just a whole lot of jam and a few bites of actual bread. πŸ™‚

5. August 21, 2015 8:50 am

Yay Ali!! Way to go!

My dad is the absolute worse when he goes to the store to pick something up for my mom. He calls her at least 5 times to confirm and check-in! After all these years, I think she secretly likes it!

• August 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Maybe after 50 years I will like it too? Not there yet though…

6. August 21, 2015 10:26 am

Awesome!! Nice work Ali!!

7. August 21, 2015 12:29 pm

Is it a guy thing. My husband has to text and then call every single time I send him to the store with a list. And then people wonder why I try to do everything myself. Absolute worst is when I asked him to get garlic and he comes back home with a 2lb bag of “PEARL ONIONS” and then goes on to convince me that it’s a different variety of garlic. When asked how could you not know … the guy giving me the bag told me it was garlic. Well, we ate pearl onions in every possible dish for the next few weeks.

• August 22, 2015 1:52 pm

This is hysterical…I can only imagine how one could confuse garlic and pearl onions….and I can’t even think of ONE recipe that utilizes pearl onions. You are a star Ramya!

8. August 21, 2015 12:47 pm

Scones. ::sigh::

• August 22, 2015 1:52 pm

Yes…I sigh every single day. And then I continue to eat them!

9. August 21, 2015 1:55 pm

I love London! I was supposed to go in June but couldn’t because I wasn’t feeling well due to my pregnancy. Hoping to go in the next couple years.

• August 22, 2015 1:52 pm

I hope you do get to visit! And congrats on the baby. πŸ™‚

10. August 21, 2015 2:39 pm

He did it!! He just needs to spread his wings a little and NOT depend on you for the answers. I lived a carb free and sugar free existence for a month. I’m still having nightmares. LOL.

• August 22, 2015 1:53 pm

I can do the no carb, no sugar thing in NYC but here it’s just impossible. Nobody here believes in it!

11. August 21, 2015 9:48 pm

Ahaha and yum!!! πŸ™‚

12. August 22, 2015 3:52 am

Ugh I need to have tea time sometime. I’m so used to making finger sandwiches myself at home and pretending I’m fancy. Also, I can’t trust a man in the market alone.

• August 22, 2015 1:54 pm

I can’t trust a man in the market alone either. πŸ™‚

13. August 26, 2015 5:24 pm

You’re in London, yay! M&S food is the best. I don’t even know what magic they do to make their basic stuff, like potatoes, taste better than anywhere else!!

• August 27, 2015 3:11 am

Totally agree that their potatoes are FANTASTIC. I donҀ™t know how they do it Ҁ“ maybe the lack of pesticides here?

14. Nadia permalink
    August 27, 2015 1:29 am

Ameena you and Ali are both hysterical!! I was just reading your blog to Ayla who is also cracking up and said she would eat the entire plate of scones, of course…just imagining your tone and Eye rolling is killing me!! Ali great job I knew you could do it too…by the way my daughter and I are having major envy right now New York to LA to Vegas to London to God knows where next please take us with you!! Can’t wait for the next post, xoxo

• August 27, 2015 3:03 am

The only thing that could make this trip better is if you guys were here with us! We miss you SO MUCH.

15. September 2, 2015 6:44 am

Hilarious! Can’t believe you were in London and didn’t tell me! Would have loved to meet up.