i should have just…

February 4, 2015

It recently occurred to me that Maya does NOTHING around the house.

After some haphazard reflection, I concluded this is due to two things:

1. Maya is lazy.
  2. I find it easier to do everything myself. To ensure it is done right. The first time.

(I realize #2 above is wrong on about 50 different levels. But it doesn’t make it any less true.)

At Tommy Bahama...where it took us 30 minutes to thaw out from our walk in the 17 degree weather.

At Tommy Bahama…where it took us 30 minutes to thaw out from our walk in the 17 degree weather.

Anyway, I realized I wasn’t doing Maya any favors when she looked at me in shock and said, “So what you’re saying is that I have to hand wash my plate because the dishwasher is currently running?”

This comment, annoyed the living daylights out of me. I wanted to sit her down and calmly give her the “We all need to help out” speech.

Finding calmness seemed too difficult, however, so instead I channeled my best sarcasm and layered it on:

“Why? Are you going to melt if you actually have to wash a dish? Do you know that when I was a kid I had to set the table, and then clean it off after dinner, ensuring that all dishes were put away, all pots and pans were washed, and the table had been suitably Windexed?”

At Le Pain Quotidien...I suppose it's no surprise that she doesn't know how to clean a dish, since we're always eating out?

At Le Pain Quotidien…I suppose it’s no surprise that she doesn’t know how to clean a dish, since we’re always eating out?

I knew then, as Maya stared at me with a glazed look on her face, that she could care less what I did or didn’t do as a kid.

I knew then that I should have just washed her dish because she was utilizing her father’s trademarked half-ass fashion and I’d have to do it over.

I knew then that the water all over the floor was a huge liability and would shortly become my problem.

I knew then that she got water inside my rubber kitchen gloves (heaven forbid she gets rough hands, right?), which just drives me BANANAS.

I knew then that ultimately the whole “lesson” was a waste because after she placed her still dirty plate in the drying rack she then announced, “Daddy, you better come wash your dish and fork because the dishwasher is still running and we all have to do our part.”

I don't even know what restaurant this was taken in...I guess we eat out more than I realized.

I don’t even know what restaurant this was taken in…I guess we eat out more than I realized. And I have a lot more sun damage than I realized too. Should have used an Instagram filter….

I should have just washed the plate.

When will I learn?

1. February 4, 2015 2:41 am

Lol. New Generation:) bless them. Imagine Power Cut what will they do then? How will they master the art of washing the dishes, heating their food and speaking to real people and not those who live in virtual world. …

• February 4, 2015 4:59 pm

Maya knows how to talk to Siri more than she knows how to talk to me. LOL

Scary!

2. Seana permalink
    February 4, 2015 5:03 am

I feel your pain and anxiety. I am of the same mind set. If you want it done right, do it yourself. I did however let my husband snow blow the driveway this week (we got over a foot on Monday). I can live with the fact he doesn’t do it as wide as I like it nor as straight as I do it it. I kept my mouth shut and let it be. I was glad it wasn’t me out there. Although in my defense, I did do the driveway when it snowed last week. I couldn’t ever be bothered to ask him to wash a dish. That was silly on your part to even ask that of your family 🙂 I did let my husband slice 4 onions for me the other day (not as thin as I would do it obviously). He did it gladly. He wanted the french onion soup I was making.

• February 4, 2015 5:00 pm

Holy cow…onions? I can’t even imagine Ali’s face if I asked him to cut an apple, never mind an onion. (Not that we ever have onions around here. And not that I’d ever attempt something like French Onion soup!!

Shoveling snow…not fun.

3. February 4, 2015 5:29 am

I am totally that way, but with my husband. I just do most of the stuff because it’s easier and I do it better. haha 🙂

4. February 4, 2015 9:45 am

That’s why I tend to do the cleaning in the house. It’s easier to do it myself and know that it gets done then have to feel anxious about how and when he’s going to do it or have to nag about it. Sometimes you can’t win for losing!!

• February 4, 2015 5:01 pm

Yes, the timing uncertainty that occurs when I ask Ali or Maya to do something just stresses me out…

5. February 4, 2015 10:16 am

At Maya’s age I was doing dishing, dusting, vacuuming, laundry, and of course keeping my room clean. And I don’t think it’s just Maya. I think a lot of parents today find it easier to just take care of it rather than “babysit” to make sure it’s done right. I have no solution for this, my friend, but you have my sympathies.

• February 4, 2015 5:02 pm

I’m sad you have no answers for me but I’m happy to at least have sympathy!

PS: I was never a good babysitter. Should have been a sign??

• February 5, 2015 8:47 am

Ha! Babysitters get to give the kids back. Anyone can fake it for a few hours, doesn’t mean they would ace parenting. I think you’ve done brilliantly. 🙂

• February 5, 2015 12:55 pm

Well thank you for saying so!! 🙂

6. February 4, 2015 3:00 pm

Wait, let me get this straight if the dishwasher is running you wash the plates by hand? Maya needs to come over, we place it in the sink and wait for the dishwasher to finish.

• February 4, 2015 5:02 pm

I’m not very consistent on this, I admit. Sometimes I let the dishes sit in the sink until the dishwasher is finished. And sometimes, when I’m in a bad mood I don’t!!

7. Aparna B. permalink
    February 5, 2015 5:55 am

Pssh! Tell that kid if she wants to make it in the real world, she’s gotta pull her weight. You gotta start them young, Ameena. 😉 OK but seriously, I love that you’re shaming her on your blog. I love even more that she’ll read it and probably have that “glazed look” on her face and she’ll win because kids always win at arguments. They’re the best defense in the kid jury.
    P.S. I love seeing you smile with teeth! You are gorgeous. Quit talking about “sun damange” ya sllly!

• February 5, 2015 5:56 am

Or..you know, sun damage. quit talking about that too. I don’t know why I said “damange”, but that sounds bad too.

• February 5, 2015 1:02 pm

Thank you for the nice comment Aparna!

Yes, I also imagine Maya reading my blog down the road, with a totally glazed look on her face. LOL Typical!

8. February 5, 2015 7:29 pm

ah this is a good one. I totally want maya to wash her own dish (come on maya!!) but I would also, for all the reasons you listed, want to do it for her. i love that she called out ali for his dish.

• February 6, 2015 1:49 pm

She has no problem calling anyone out on anything…too funny.

9. February 6, 2015 7:54 am

The new generation has it’s way! Hope you are well Ameena, xx!

Zainab

• February 6, 2015 1:49 pm

Thanks Z! I appreciate the comment. Hope you are well too.

10. February 7, 2015 4:38 pm

You’re kidding about the filter right? 😀
    You are so gorgeous and have a lovely smile in the last pic!

I actually have found dishwashing to be quite calming. I never washed a single dish when I was living at home, but now it’s my way to wind down before going to sleep!

• February 8, 2015 5:27 am

Thanks for the nice comment P! It made my morning.

And if you ever need to wind down feel free to come over and take care of our dishes… 🙂

11. Lydia permalink
    February 12, 2015 8:22 am

I miss reading your blog! Life (and hockey practices/tournaments/clinics) happens that’s why. I’ve never used my dishwasher but do it manually instead. I feel better that way. Weird I know 🙂 We started last week with my oldest son, and since I don’t trust him yet doing the dishes without making a mess, for now he’s doing the garbage in the house, as part of his $5.-/week allowance 🙂

You look great, as always!

• February 12, 2015 4:36 pm

Hockey sounds really time consuming…maybe I should be more grateful for a girl. 🙂

Thanks for reading Lydia…hope all is well!

12. March 3, 2015 11:34 am

Read a couple of your posts and it looks like a fun blog! Looking forward to reading more. You all look like a happy family 🙂