it’s not my problem

January 21, 2015

It’s been a while since we’ve chatted about Ali’s clothes, his messy habits, and my general impatience with it all.

Let’s remedy that, shall we?

Problem #1: Ali had too many coats for our “walk in” closet. (I’m not kidding when I say he has at least 4 times the number of coats I have.)

Resolution #1: I cleared out a section of Maya’s closet to house his collection.

Maya behaved herself this week. So instead of enrolling her in a useless and expensive holiday camp, we actually hung out!

Instead of enrolling Maya in a useless and expensive holiday camp, we actually hung out on Monday! We went to a Meetup, had lunch at Tao, and went to the bookstore for 2 hours.

Problem #2: Ali determined Maya’s closet was “too far” to walk to in order for him to retrieve his coat. (Our apartment is all of 1,200 square feet – NOTHING IS TOO FAR HERE.)

Resolution #2: I purchased a coat rack and set it up next to the front door.

IMG_0912

Ali joined us for lunch and remained on a call for most of it. It was fun asking him, “Wait, are you talking to me or someone else?” for an hour.

Problem #3: Ali determined that several of his coats were “too heavy” and posed a great risk that the coat rack would fall. So he’s taken to throwing them on the floor.

(Seriously, he comes in to the apartment, takes off his coat, and literally flings it across the living room floor.)

My brother was in town last week. I was SO HAPPY to see him. (I'm working on this thing where I actually tell people when I'm thinking nice things, it's working quite well!)

My brother was in town last week. I was SO HAPPY to see him. (I’m working on this thing where I actually tell people when I’m thinking nice things, it’s working quite well!)

So I think we can all conclude that I’ve been pretty patient. I mean, I really think I deserve high marks not only in “Creative Closet Solutions” but also in “Maintaining Patience When Any Other Wife Would Have Lost Her S@#$.”

And yet, I found the energy to come up with Resolution #3!

Resolution #3: I pulled a muscle shifting the hanging shoe racks to one side of the hallway closet, secured two extremely durable hangers, and hung Ali’s heaviest coats in the hallway closet (a mere 3 yards from the front door).

Maya didn't want to take this picture. After 45 seconds of patiently waiting, I told them they had another 2 before I put the camera away. We captured this lovely moment as a result.

Maya didn’t want to take this picture. After 45 seconds of patiently waiting, I told them they had another 2 seconds before I put the camera away. We captured this lovely moment as a result.

Guess what Ali did today? He took his coat off the hanger, went to work, came back from work, flung it across the living room floor, glanced at me and said “I need to be reminded that certain coats should be hung in the hallway closet,” and cracked open his laptop.

Resolution: Ali and his coat need to become Delta’s problem. STAT. There is no other resolution.

1. shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com permalink
    January 21, 2015 6:32 am

Haha – you definitely have a ton of patience Ameena! I think I might have put a hook on the outside of the apartment door for coats and charged a “door” toll had the coat made it’s way thru the door and onto the floor!!!

• January 21, 2015 4:52 pm

You bring up an interesting suggestion…if only I put a hook OUTSIDE of the apartment. I have a feeling our neighbors may not approve though… LOL

2. Seana permalink
    January 21, 2015 8:59 am

Ha ha. You can only try and control so much. I’ve had to give up on a lot of things such as my husbands clothes, socks, you name it everywhere in the house. He said to me yesterday we really need to spend the weekend cleaning the house. I looked at him like he was crazy and glared at his pile of crap on the floor in the bedroom. I give up. We park 2 cars in the garage that are driven through salt and sand on our snowy/icy roads and it (the sand) gets tracked everywhere. How can I compete with that I ask myself. You can’t. I’m learning to deal with this small stuff even though it makes me batty. At least I don’t have to worry about the coat problem. He doesn’t wear one. Why in -3 degrees would you not wear a coat? Welcome to my life. You are not alone! 🙂

• January 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Ali has the requisite pile of crap on his side of the room. It contains everything from clothes to cables to business cards. Drives me crazy but I too gave up.

At least we don’t have to worry about a garage and cars anymore, so there’s that.

PS: In -3 Ali would be in 5 coats. What is your husband’s secret??

• Seana permalink
        January 22, 2015 3:23 am

He’s just odd with the coat thing. It becomes a problem in the car. He jacks the heat way up due to no coat. I turn down the heat because it’s sweltering hot and I’m wearing a coat. Quite the quandry.

3. January 21, 2015 9:32 am

Your patience is incredible!! My husband tests me but your husband is a whole new level. I cannot imagine the nag I would be. I already am one as it is.

• January 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Nobody has ever said that my patience is incredible! Thank you C for being the very first. Ever.

4. January 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Make sure Ali knows that I own one coat and one jacket, and that I live in North Dakota. I would never tell you to remember this because your coats are fabulous, but Ali doesn’t need to own that many coats if he doesn’t even care about them.
    Enjoy the rest of your week! I hope you and the family stay warm.

• January 21, 2015 5:23 pm

One coat? One jacket? I think that the NYC winter would be SO EASY for you. The wind that nearly kills me every day would probably be considered a light breeze for you. 🙂

5. January 21, 2015 1:23 pm

I love your happy, sweet pictures interspersed with snark. I have to confess I put my coat on my desk chair a lot, maybe you need to come over.

• January 21, 2015 5:24 pm

I am okay with the coat + chair combo Lauren. This seems fairly logical to me…

6. January 21, 2015 2:15 pm

Ameena, I don’t know where women get this shopoholic rep from. My husband DEFINITELY has more clothes (and clothes in general) than me too!

• January 21, 2015 5:25 pm

I am NOT a shopper. At all. I just buy staples (all in black and in denim) and call it a day. Ali agrees with this theory for the most part but jackets are an apparent exception!

7. nadia permalink
    January 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Ameena, hysterical!! As every other Ali-ism…..I can’t wait to tease him and lecture him all about this at NSM, lol! I think you could just write a book about Ali-isms…..so classic! Love the pics, miss you guys! xoo

• January 21, 2015 5:25 pm

NSM is right around the corner, so sad I will miss it. But Ali is looking forward to it. Especially the part where he gets to leave the freezing NYC weather…

8. January 21, 2015 3:41 pm

You definitely is one patient wife :)..Hats off too you..I would have gone crazy…

• January 21, 2015 5:26 pm

You are the second poster who has called me patient! It must be true if two people think so. 🙂

9. January 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Ah! A dose of Ali’s messy habits was just what I needed for a hearty chuckle. 🙂 You would be dismayed after an hour in our house.

• January 28, 2015 4:44 pm

Really? I’m not so sure since your house is in France and I love France!

10. January 25, 2015 1:46 am

lol what field does Ali work in? Lawyer?

• January 25, 2015 7:54 am

No way…he’s in technology!!

• January 27, 2015 1:19 am

Haha I love how repulsed you sounded at the lawyer idea. Well at least he can fix your gadgets 😉

11. January 26, 2015 9:59 pm

Lol! Did Ali have this many coats when you all were living in LA? 🙂

12. January 27, 2015 5:04 am

I am extremely impressed that you came up with so many solutions! I would’ve just left them on the floor and allowed people to walk on the coats.

• January 28, 2015 4:44 pm

I’m impressed that you have the ability to leave something on the floor and walk over it. If I could do that Ali would be thrilled!

13. January 28, 2015 11:43 pm

This is so hilarious Ameena. My friend once told me, “I have never had to clean up after my husband once,” I just remained quiet, because I can’t say the same. 🙂 Hahaha! We have two rows of coat hangers as you walk into our front door and a lot of the time my husband’s coat is flung over the love seat as you enter the front door. I can totally relate to this. I have no solutions. 🙂 🙂 🙂 Great post, love,

Shauna xoxox

• January 29, 2015 12:56 pm

I am so, so envious of your friend…I almost don’t believe her!! 🙂

14. July 11, 2015 8:15 pm

Veery good article. I certainly love this website.
    Keep writing!

15. July 14, 2015 1:13 am

I delight in, lead to I found just what I was taking a look for.
    You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great