it was a blur

December 4, 2014

When we return from a trip of any kind, there are two Very Pressing Matters that need to be addressed ASAP:

#1. How do we ensure that there be milk for Ali’s tea and cereal? And not just any milk, but lactose-free organic 2% milk.

(Although 1% will also do in a pinch. Because Ali is low-maintenance like that.)

Our trip to LA was a blur...literally.

Our trip to LA was a blur…literally.

#2. How can I minimize the amount of time that Ali’s suitcase will block the front door? Because:

• It WILL block the front door. For at least 24 hours.
  • My subtle hints to unpack will go unnoticed.
  • My not-so-subtle hints to unpack will go unnoticed.
  • I will lose my @#$% and the suitcase will finally be partially emptied (of course).
  • I will lose my @#$% again and the suitcase will be 97% emptied (it’s never FULLY emptied, just FYI).
  • The suitcase will eventually be rolled back into a closet. At which point I will cringe because I will be picturing the 1 billion strains being transferred from the filthy suitcase wheels to my Swiffered floors.

The trip started off precarious, with a number of near-vomit incidents in the plane and car. Bad hair and wrinkles made several appearances, however.

Anyway, since I left for Los Angeles after Ali did, I proactively resolved Pressing Matter #1 by making sure to purchase and place an unopened container of the approved variety of milk in the fridge for my husband.

Traffic was battled and friends were seen....

Traffic was battled and friends were seen….

Unfortunately, we are going on 36 hours and Pressing Matter #2 is still pending, as evidenced by the fact that I’m still staring at, and climbing over, Ali’s suitcase.

And kind words and insults were thrown by and at family members. All in all, it was a good trip.

And kind words and insults were thrown by and at family members (mainly my brother). All in all, it was a good trip.

I’m about to lose my @#$% AGAIN (a new record for me).

Which means things will get done. But which also means that my floors are about to be bacteria ridden….

I guess one can’t expect it all?

1. December 4, 2014 8:54 pm

Funny! I take solace that I am not the only one losing my @#$% over and over until my husband, who is also named Ali, does anything.

2. nadia permalink
    December 4, 2014 9:10 pm

hysterical!! you are so classic! feel so special being featured, love love love!!
    xoxo

3. Seana permalink
    December 5, 2014 5:14 am

Totally with you on the suitcase thing. I usually move the husband’s suitcase from in front of the door and throw it on the floor on his side in the bedroom. The 2nd to last time we went away it remained there for 4 weeks fully packed. He said he was saving it for his next trip. He did. Can’t even say I’m joking. We both flew home 2 weeks ago from different places. My suitcase unpacked same day. He emptied his 2 days later. I was shocked. I have OCD, he has whatever the opposite of that is.

• December 5, 2014 12:27 pm

My suitcase was also unpacked within the hour…not sure why Ali finds it so hard. He too saves his stuff for the next trip. Drives me bananas.

The negative about moving to NYC is there is no space to put the suitcase, even on his side of the bedroom. Because the room is tiny!

4. December 5, 2014 3:22 pm

Yet again, you’ve proved I’m basically Ali. Except for the 2%, whole milk is clearly the way to go! 🙂 The Hubster unpacks right away, I ignore my stuff for as long as I can until I need the stuff that’s packed away and then I’m forced to deal with the chaos. I’m so glad you guys had a good time in LA!

• December 5, 2014 4:56 pm

I’m confused…how can a lawyer be a procrastinator? Seems impossible!!

5. December 6, 2014 3:48 am

I am very guilty of the not-unpacking-quickly offence too! In fact, so is my husband, except he expects me to unpack BOTH of our suitcases. So I end up losing my @#$% on random other matters to deal with the frustration of double the unpacking fun!

• December 8, 2014 12:32 pm

I had to laugh at the “Double the unpacking fun.” So true, except around here it’s often triple of the fun….

Maya takes after her dad. 😦

6. December 7, 2014 6:58 pm

“The suitcase will eventually be rolled back into a closet. At which point I will cringe because I will be picturing the 1 billion strains being transferred from the filthy suitcase wheels to my Swiffered floors.”

^ I feel the exact way about suitcases. Who knows how much and what kind of bacteria has come in contact with those rollerboard wheels, haha. I literally have to pick it up and lay it flat on my floor so that the wheels don’t touch 😛

• December 8, 2014 11:36 am

Same here…I even lay it so the wheels are on a plastic bag.

Writing that out makes me seem a bit crazy, doesn’t it?

7. Heather C permalink
    December 9, 2014 7:29 am

I have to unpack and put things away within an hour of getting home and I have conceded defeat and just do my husband’s bag too. But after dumping half of it in the laundry room, I set out all his cords and little things for him to put away and they will sit there on our dresser for ages. Drives me nuts. (Oh and I was lol about the wrinkles. I seem to bring mine on all my trips too).

• December 9, 2014 12:31 pm

Yes, within the hour! Finally, someone who understands Heather.

And the cords…all over the place. It’s pretty crazy how you can relate my friend.

8. December 12, 2014 7:02 pm

im totally guilty of unpacking my suitcase but instead of blocking the door, i quietly wheel it into the closet and it stays there until my next trip…

• December 13, 2014 4:46 am

So you can relate to Ali’s fear / distaste of unpacking then. 🙂

9. December 15, 2014 12:48 am

VPM #1 begs for a risky experiment, no? Switch the milk for a different combination (lactose included? Non-organic?), keep the labeling on the carton, stand back and see what happens?

Too much?

Too much.

• December 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Too risky Razwana….there are a few things I don’t mess with and Ali’s milk is one of them. His tea and sugar are two other things I don’t dare to meddle in!!

10. December 18, 2014 6:27 am

Gulp. I am more like your husband than I am like you. I’ll bet even HE would be yelling at me to pick up after myself. 😉

• December 18, 2014 2:32 pm

That’s a really bold statement Jennie!! I can’t imagine that, at all!!

1. filters, impressions, and suffering | Fancy That...Fancy This