a tantrum

August 21, 2013

There was some confusion this week with regards to the division of labor in our home.

Here are how things typically work:

Capture

After reviewing the above, I’m sure you’ll agree that:

• I really don’t ask too much of my husband.
  • I was justified in losing my @#$% this week, in an over-the-top (even for me) dramatic show due to the Internet being down. And then the printer not printing. For days. And days. And then another day.
Banana pudding @ Magnolia Bakery, Shrimp salad @ La Bergamote, Chocolate cookie dough pudding @ Bouchon, Eggs @ Maison Kayser

Banana Pudding @ Magnolia Bakery, Shrimp Salad @ La Bergamote, Chocolate Cookie Dough Pudding @ Bouchon, Eggs @ Maison Kayser

My temper tantrum finally got Ali moving.

He rushed to Best Buy to return our router and purchase a new router, he spent several hours on calls to our sub-par provider Time Warner (bad words were used by him this time, not me), he ran out to Best Buy again to purchase two more attractive boxes labeled “NetGear” that now dot our bedroom and kitchen, and then when he claimed everything was fixed?

He suddenly had to leave for a week-long “business trip” to Boston, at which point he tried to sneak off with the Mi-Fi.

I think Ali has gone completely insane. Truly.

1. August 21, 2013 2:11 am

Sadly the list is very familiar to me. Although I could have reduced the list more to Me: Everything: Husband- Going to work and killing spiders!

2. August 21, 2013 3:22 am

I could reblog this right now! It is the same story with me too!

• August 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Sorry to hear you can relate Anita. 😦

• August 26, 2013 1:08 pm

i was going to say that I almost can relate to this post… although since im still a toddler(vs you turning a teen ;)) in the marriage game i expect more from my husband… I almost always expect a 50-50 split in responsibilities but maybe thats asking a bit too much. i crib everytime that ratio isnt in my favor 🙂

3. August 21, 2013 4:51 am

I can totally relate too Ameena, your list sounds exactly like my list at home….Breathe….

4. August 21, 2013 4:51 am

This is too funny! What is wrong with these guys, we really don’t ask a lot of them. At least Ali gets out of your hair for part of each day. Ralph is ALWAYS here!! I love him though!

• August 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Yes…I sort of was happy about the Boston trip. Mi-fi stealing aside.

5. August 21, 2013 6:09 am

I guess it’s the same story everywhere!!! I empathise with you my fried 🙂

• August 21, 2013 6:24 pm

I’m sorry it’s the same story for you too Nandita!

6. August 21, 2013 6:33 am

This is bringing back bad memories of the shouting matches I’ve had with my husband when the Internet didn’t work after we moved! I’m the techie between the two of us and I refused to fix the problem until he apologized ! 🙂 but I offload other tasks from my list to him. It’s only fair!

• August 21, 2013 6:25 pm

I am lucky I’m not a techie because then all Ali would have to do is worry about the cars. Which we no longer have since moving!

7. August 21, 2013 6:41 am

Count me in for ditto on the list. However, I DO look for any and every opportunity to transfer items from MINE to HIS (fortune favors the brave?!!LOL 🙂 Also, You are a saint.

• August 21, 2013 6:25 pm

I look for the opportunity to do the same thing…seems impossible though!

8. August 21, 2013 6:49 am

Im such a non-tech person and I can feel the frustration. Maybe its time you use bad words and get those Time Warner to do their job..

• August 21, 2013 6:26 pm

Time Warner doesn’t care, no matter what you say…I miss Verizon!

9. August 21, 2013 7:39 am

But on the upside, that shrimp salad looks aMAzing.

10. August 21, 2013 8:14 am

Unfortunately our division of labor looks very similar and our internet is patchy not working few hours per day. I guess it takes after my husband and his breaks. He does “work” and I am stay at home mom, but I do not foresee major changes when I return to work.

• August 21, 2013 6:27 pm

How frustrating…does your husband not need the Internet? So confused how that’s possible?

I hope it gets fixed ASAP!

11. Lydia permalink
    August 21, 2013 8:18 am

This sadly looks & sounds familiar but believe me sometime things get done a lot quicker when you show some tantrums 🙂

12. August 21, 2013 8:22 am

The division of labor seems slightly one sided. I’m just sayin’!! And if your only job in the house is tech support-ya better get it done!!

• August 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Slightly one-sided is right. That’s why I’m justifying my demand for working Internet!

13. August 21, 2013 9:16 am

Yup, I think that list is pretty typical of the division of labor in households. Add dish washing/cleaning the kitchen to my side, move the trash stuff to his and add vacuuming (not sweeping, just vacuuming) to his and those are our lists to a T. The Internet being down gives you the full right to a hissey fit. I’d have done the same.

• August 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Your husband vacuums? I’m just speechless right now. I know only one other guy who does that…and I thought he was the only one. Ever!

14. seana permalink
    August 21, 2013 9:58 am

Time Warner is one step up from Vonage 🙂 We have it along with Netgear. Get ready for some headaches as it never seems to work quite right. It sounds like you have already figured that out. I, unluckily, am in charge of internet.
    Our division of labor is I have the inside and he has the outside. Unless he needs help outside like back topping the driveway or water sealing the back deck.
    Everything is subject to change!

• August 21, 2013 6:29 pm

We have no outside, and if we did? Ali still wouldn’t be in charge of it. 🙂

Sorry to hear Vonage is no good. If they are worse than TWC I feel unbelievably sorry for you.

15. August 21, 2013 12:55 pm

we try to divide the tasks but my semi type A self has to organize when the mood strikes so i can’t wait for my procrastinator in crime lover. 😉 i love my FIOS.

• August 21, 2013 6:29 pm

I wish we could get FIOS! But for some reason they do not offer it in our building. Lame.

16. August 21, 2013 4:31 pm

I want more Bouchon!

17. August 21, 2013 9:15 pm

I’m not married but I can defo vouch for the effectiveness of throwing tantrums….being the youngest in the family may also help my case ;)!

18. August 21, 2013 10:44 pm

I’m amazed you lasted as long as you did before a tantrum. I flip out within hours.
    On another note, cookie dough pudding? Wowza. I’d like to have that in my life.

• August 26, 2013 3:55 am

Maya seemed to like it but funny enough I wasn’t the biggest fan! And I usually love cookies.

19. August 22, 2013 6:48 am

I can’t imagine your tantrums being truly tantrum like, sorry. How good is that banana pudding?

• August 26, 2013 3:55 am

Ali’s been visiting Magnolia every day just about…if that tells you anything!

20. August 22, 2013 9:39 am

🙂 smiles

21. August 22, 2013 9:33 pm

man, you do a LOT! it’s scary, but I think women take on most of the work, but it’s not fair. The good thing is at least you have an iphone so you’re always connected. 🙂

• August 26, 2013 3:56 am

It’s not fair but it just works out that way somehow….

22. August 23, 2013 8:01 am

This looks about like the division of work in our house. We are getting the short end of the stick.

23. August 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Just caught up on your last few posts and I must say that you never fail to make me laugh. I love your graph. Hilarious!

24. August 23, 2013 6:27 pm

That chocolate cookie dough pudding looks amazing! I feel like I have yours and your husband’s jobs at my house. I live with my mom and sister and I do almost everything for the dog, most of the cooking, and the internet stuff. You should be glad he does the internet stuff LOL

• August 26, 2013 3:59 am

I’m so sorry…sounds like you too are getting the short end of the stick Becca!

25. August 24, 2013 9:51 am

That list reminds me very much of my life, and I throw a lot of fits about it. I feel like it kind of evens things out a little bit. 🙂

• August 26, 2013 4:00 am

Not sure it evens anything out for me but it makes me feel better.

26. August 24, 2013 10:29 pm

Oh it’s the same story here, only worse as he now has a dedicated room for all his computers! I’m eyeing that banana pudding ameena!

27. August 25, 2013 12:55 pm

I’m a single gal, but this sounds a lot like my roommate and I actually!

• August 26, 2013 4:01 am

Your roommate’s does everything? Or you do? 🙂

• August 26, 2013 7:23 am

Haha, me!! At least for kitchen/cleaning related things. She IS a master, though, at fixing the internet when it goes out.

28. August 25, 2013 11:34 pm

LOL. You have an adorable family hehe.. Always enjoyable to read their sneakiness but cannot slip through you watcheful eyes 😀 kudos.

• August 26, 2013 4:01 am

Thanks Eddie. I definitely have watchful eyes…nobody likes it around here!

29. Jessie E. permalink
    August 26, 2013 8:20 am

There’s something unbalanced about that list … I can’t quite put my finger on it … kidding! 😉 I can completely understand your frustration (and I laughed when I read about Ali and the Mi-Fi – Peter did almost exactly the same thing for one of his conferences).

Your posts always make my day! 🙂

30. August 26, 2013 8:34 am

Printers will be the demise of me. How have we moved so far in technology but printers always mess up when you need them the most?

At my house, I do most of the chores but make my SO take out the trash. That is one task I do not like doing!

31. joan permalink
    September 4, 2013 8:05 am

I had Time Warner for 1 year. Sucked!

• September 7, 2013 5:25 pm

Sorry you can relate to my TWC issues but it sounds like you found an alternative! I’m envious…

• September 8, 2013 4:08 pm

Was supposed to say: Been cracking up about this post all week except stupid tech glitch made it hard to comment…Where’s Ali when I need him?!?! I hate playing cards. Hate.

32. September 14, 2013 10:32 am