nothing interesting

April 17, 2013

Aside from taking a couple of stabs at making something edible for dinner,  fighting with Maya about just about everything, and having our entire condo repainted, very little has happened since my last post.

With nothing interesting to blog about, I had no choice but to hit up Ali for topics.

One interesting thing that happened? My mom, brother, and I went to The Peninsula for lunch.

Me: “Did you do anything random this week that I can write about?”

Ali: “I can’t think of anything.”

Me: “Not sure how that’s possible? You must have said something offensive?”

Ali: “I doubt it – I was in Phoenix half the week.”

Me: “Oh. True. Well that explains it.”

It’s not like we didn’t talk while Ali was in Phoenix. Quite the opposite actually. He called us on Face Time and Skype. He sent us emails, texts, and Lync messages.

Other interesting things: creme brulee and trout at The Peninsula Rooftop Garden, I witnessed an exotic (and very loud) car show from our condo, a pretty pink orchid at my friend Nadia's

Other interesting things I ate / saw: creme brulee and trout at The Peninsula Rooftop Garden, a caravan of exotic cars from above, a pretty pink orchid at my friend Nadia’s.

Despite the barrage of communication, however, we actually managed to converse like normal people. Translation: we discussed mundane things like how our day went with no sarcasm (me), no passive-aggressive dry cleaning messages (Ali), and no whining (Maya) in sight.

So this particular post is about absolutely nothing due to the fact that Ali was traveling. And then we were all too nice to each other.

Here’s hoping that my next post is a little more interesting.

1. April 17, 2013 12:14 am

If you have your house or condo painted the. Your life is bound to get uninteresting. That’s what is happening with me right now. I am just waiting for the paint job be completed at my place 🙂

• April 17, 2013 8:15 pm

But when it’s done? It’s totally worth it. I wish I’d done it ages ago!

2. April 17, 2013 12:58 am

Didn’t know you had a non indian mom 😀 .. and wow the great Ameena has nothing to blog about. that’s a surprise!

3. April 17, 2013 2:25 am

Hehe, I was just reading a book by a big tv writer, and he talked about how the writers on the show couldn’t work too hard because if they didn’t have time with their family, there’d be nothing to give them ideas for episode stories…

• April 17, 2013 8:16 pm

So so true. I get all my ideas from Ali and Maya’s random thoughts and actions. Without them there would be no blog.

4. seana permalink
    April 17, 2013 4:24 am

I find it odd Ali didn’t find some way to annoy you while he was gone. My husband goes away once a year for a work conference. Tells me how tiring it is. What is tiring about sitting in a meeting all day, having breakfast and lunch catered in every day, dinner out every night and going out for drinks after. You’d think they were dragging him around Disney or something. And when he finally comes home,, he’s useless for the whole weekend because he’s “So Tired.” I lack sympathy on that one. Plus he always goes someplace warm and I am left in snowy cold upstate NY.
    Lucky you having your condo painted. We still have to get someone in for the upstairs seeing as the kids were so kind to leave their rooms a disaster upon hitting adulthood (they are adults only by a number, mentally not so much:)
    I’m not so lucky and have taken on a DIY project involving paint. Painting my patio tables w/ spray paint. My nails are brown, my arms are brown. I look like I don’t shower. What was I thinking?

• April 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Seana you leave the funniest comments!

I actually agree with you…some of the “conferences” Ali goes to? Like the one in Cabo? Seem very suspicious. And he too needs time to recover when I’m the one who’s been doubling up on work + Maya + etc…..

Upstate NY! I’m hoping to see it soon.

Good luck with the brown paint…Turpentine? Goop Off?

5. April 17, 2013 5:20 am

Are you mixed race? It doesn’t matter but its interesting as I didn’t know. More to the point, the very reason why you wrote about nothing interesting turns out to be very interesting.

• April 17, 2013 8:19 pm

How funny…I thought everyone knew I was only half-Indian?

6. April 17, 2013 5:25 am

So, Ali makes your life interesting…:)

7. April 17, 2013 5:39 am

=D At least you posted something. When my life is pretty much ho-hum, I just don’t post until I’m inspired again.

• April 17, 2013 8:19 pm

I’m too OCD about posting at least once a week…even when people would rather I take a break. 🙂

8. April 17, 2013 5:53 am

And I have nothing of any interest to say in response 🙂

9. April 17, 2013 6:07 am

You look a lot like your mom! Great pic. And personally, even your “not so interesting” post is interesting. Haha!

• April 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks Parita for all the compliments! And thanks for reading my boring post. 🙂

10. April 17, 2013 6:33 am

Just addicted to your blog posts Ameena!
    This post was an interesting read too, so you might have to go an ‘extra’ mile to make the next one slightly better 😉

11. April 17, 2013 6:42 am

Sometimes nothing to say just means that all is well!! Better than the alternative. 😉

12. Lydia permalink
    April 17, 2013 6:43 am

Hahaha.. I love your conversation with Ali, very funny. Sounds like Ali was behaving himself 🙂

• April 17, 2013 8:21 pm

He was for a change. Maybe more distance is what we need? LOL

13. April 17, 2013 7:15 am

ditto to eddie’s comment! your dad’s genes are strong! 🙂 hey what color did you get it painted? if we could ever ‘procure’ a home, i look forward to selecting paint colors haha!

• April 17, 2013 8:22 pm

I picked Benjamin – Moore’s Northern Cliffs #1536. I LOVE it. Totally recommend it.

14. April 17, 2013 8:55 am

i like that picture collage. and I am surprised at how things unfolded this week. so….normal! 😉

15. April 17, 2013 9:44 am

…you mama and you are so similar ..well, it might not sound too interesting to you but theres always something interesting in Din’s household!

• April 17, 2013 8:22 pm

You think so? So funny.

Thanks for the comment Dixya!

16. Jeena permalink
    April 17, 2013 10:00 am

You are a freaking riot. Also–you and your mama look beautiful in that picture!

17. April 17, 2013 10:08 am

Well, in Ali’s defense, I hear that people in Phoenix are very hard to rattle on account of the dry heat, so he probably did offend someone – we just missed it. 😉 But hey – at least no news is good news sometimes, right?

• April 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Megan…I am laughing so hard right now.

I’ve been to Phoenix once, a long time ago. And now that I think about it, you might be right!

18. April 17, 2013 10:37 am

That view is gorgeous!!!

19. April 17, 2013 11:03 am

Let’s not say it’s about nothing. Let’s start with why Marc needs to skype (sp?), face time all all this stuff when he is away on a trip that may last 2 days, we see his “face” more then when he is home. Second, our marriage is so good when he is on a trip, I think yours is too. No fighting, nobody to get in the way of children going to sleep at a normal time, amazing. And why, if Ali is away, do you and your mom look like you’re giving the camera evil looks?

• April 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Agreed. We see Ali’s face more when he’s away.

Evil looks? I think we were squinting in the sun? We do look a bit strange….

20. April 17, 2013 1:19 pm

You look like your mom, but then I haven’t seen your dad. Sometimes it’s nice when there is nothing interesting going on and we can just relax and unwind. I hope you are enjoying lots of wine. 🙂

• April 17, 2013 8:25 pm

I love it when nothing is going on. It happens so rarely!

21. April 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Sounds like peace prevails when Ali’s away. Maybe he’ll qualify for global services soon, hmm??

• April 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Global Services? We both have a Global Entry card if that’s what you mean?

22. April 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Oooh, are you going to post pictures of the new paint? We are going through a serious brain freeze with our living room painting (my fault because I can’t make a decision) and I would love some inspiration 🙂

• April 17, 2013 8:25 pm

It’s all about Benjamin Moore’s Northern Cliffs my friend. I LOVE it. Makes some of my ugly furniture look presentable!

23. April 17, 2013 7:58 pm

I hope he enjoyed his time here in Phoenix, he got out before it got too hot 🙂 Have a nice weekend.

• April 17, 2013 8:26 pm

He claims he was in and out of meetings all day and didn’t get to enjoy. Not sure I believe him!

24. April 17, 2013 9:58 pm

Don’t you hate when life is so peaceful you have no material?

Ok so spill about your family. Is your mom Caucasian? Even so, you look SO much like her, are you similar in personality too?

And about your comment about your ‘dysfunctional’ family (from my blog), aren’t we all? I mean I love my siblings and parents to death, but I could tell you stories to make your head spin, honestly.

Don’t you love that my comment is full of so many questions?

• April 18, 2013 8:35 pm

My mom is Canadian…as am I. I wouldn’t say we are very similar, she is more patient and far less hotheaded.

Would love to hear the stories one day…it would make me feel better about my own dysfunction!

25. Shauna permalink
    April 17, 2013 11:01 pm

I second what Marie is asking. Just consider us one customer. 🙂 And my first thought too, was that you and your mom look so similar! I knew right away it was your mom. I just love you Ameena. I will always follow you wherever you go!!!

Shauna xoxox

• April 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Really? You think we look that much alike? I don’t see it, so funny.

I love your comments Shauna…they always make me feel like a million bucks!

26. April 18, 2013 3:42 am

Isn’t it nice, though, when you have one of those stretches of uneventful peace?

27. April 18, 2013 4:12 am

So Ali is not offensive when he’s in the desert…Good to know! 😉 Funny how these days when we are apart, we are still so connected. It’s good, but then some times, I’m not so sure about that. Love creme brulee… I’m drooling now…

• April 18, 2013 8:39 pm

It’s good but I agree…sometimes it’s nice when you don’t have to be available via phone / Skype / email every second of the day…

28. April 18, 2013 5:12 am

How is it that you can have nothing interesting to say, but you still keep me completely entertained with your posts ! 😉
    I’m thinking you would be a fun person to hang around with on a boring day!

• April 18, 2013 8:39 pm

I’d love to meet you Amelia! If you are ever in LA…

And thanks for the compliment. 🙂

29. April 18, 2013 9:22 am

Beautiful mom and daughter, duo!

30. April 18, 2013 9:47 am

I was having lunch with my good friend today and told her about your blog. I always thought Eileen was one of the funniest Moms in England, but Ameena you rival her. I will be sending the link of your blog to Eileen, so she can enjoy it too. Happy Blogging:)

• April 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Thank you Maha…so nice of you to not only read and comment but to spread the word. 🙂

31. April 18, 2013 10:24 am

I still love you. We can’t always be “on.” 😉

32. squigglefloey permalink
    April 19, 2013 1:09 am

Like half the other people here I didn’t know you were half! I’m a halfie too 🙂 yayay

33. April 19, 2013 5:54 am

Great! now I KNOW I’m a sad excuse for a woman 😦 Duh! I was the ONLY one to think your mom’s an Asian with dyed hair n all. Was looking more at you must’ve been it – seriously. Gold bangles added authenticity to my arbit assumption LOL! Honestly, the first thought that struck me about you two is, the graceful yet tough personality. One thing is certain – head turners you three girls are 🙂

• April 24, 2013 6:40 am

The gold bangle assumption…I love it. Totally agree though, that’s standard for the Indian mom. 🙂

Thanks for the sweet comment MWAD! Very nice of you. 🙂

34. April 19, 2013 8:59 am

I’m pretty sure all the traveling my dad does for work has been the best thing to happen to my parent’s marriage. They’re far less frustrating when they’re away. 🙂

35. April 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Did Ali go to Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix?!?

• April 24, 2013 6:41 am

He claims he had no time to go anywhere because of his meetings / conference!

36. April 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Nice is good!

37. April 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Sometimes life is just not very interesting. But it’s very interesting how you talk about how it’s not interesting! 🙂 You do look a lot like your mom. 🙂

• April 24, 2013 6:41 am

People say we look alike but I don’t see it! So funny.

Thanks for the comment Cat!

38. April 23, 2013 5:44 pm

that trout looks yum .. your mom looks more a gori than indian 🙂

39. April 23, 2013 9:15 pm

I’ve had a very uninteresting week too. Aside from a temper tantrum baby, it’ been regular over here. Your mom is gorgeous.

• April 24, 2013 6:42 am

Sorry about the temper tantrums…we’ve all been there if it’s any consolation!

And thanks for the compliment – on behalf of my mom. 🙂

40. Muugii permalink
    April 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi Ameena, I love your blog too :). It’s so entertaining. I just finished reading all your posts :D.

• April 24, 2013 6:43 am

Thank you Muugii! So nice of you to say. And to read!

41. June 15, 2013 8:55 am

I do love it when my husband has to travel every month. Keeps me sane! Beautiful orchid, by the way.

1. face value | Fancy That...Fancy This