breakfast cake

November 7, 2012

Maya and I haven’t been getting along the last few weeks. I attribute this to the fact that she’s currently afflicted with the “Total Disregard for Parent Instruction / Second Grader Smart Ass-ness” syndrome.

Just a few days ago, for example, I yelled at Maya for a good five minutes when I learned she had cake for breakfast.

Me, Nadia, and Maya at my brother’s 30th: At his friend’s place in Malibu.

I did this knowing that Maya eats healthy 99% of the time and thus a little cake in the morning isn’t the end of the world. I did this knowing full well I used to sneak ice cream for breakfast when I was old enough to know better. I did this knowing I need to learn to pick my battles.

When Part One of my rant was over I expected Maya to attempt to appease me with her usual half hearted apology. Instead she said, “So can I have cake at San’s birthday tonight?”

So began Part Two of my rant. Which I’ll spare you.

What to get the brother who has everything? Art. You probably can’t tell but the image is actually a map of NYC, which I (obviously) think is pretty cool.

I hadn’t planned to tell Ali about the cake situation, but when Maya brought up the topic as we drove to my brother’s birthday, I had no choice but to share the details of our child’s sugar addiction.

I prepared myself for an annoying speech from my husband about why I need to stop being so strict (somewhat true) and how Maya and I will never get along if I don’t let the little things go (very true). But instead he surprised me with this:

Ali: “What kind of a person eats cake for breakfast Maya? A person who doesn’t have any sense in their head, that’s who. A person who doesn’t know the difference between right and wrong. Why would you do something like that?”

The offending cake. Pretty sure Ali snuck Maya some when I wasn’t looking.

To say I was taken aback at Ali’s reaction is an understatement. And I tried my best to make sense of it:

1. Were we actually on the same parenting page for once?
  2. Or (the more likely scenario) was Ali just pretending to care our child started her day with 500 grams sugar so that he wouldn’t have to hear me wax on about how we need to present a united parental front. (With united defined as both of us agreeing with any and all of my parenting concepts and strategies.)

I have no idea. But ultimately Ali’s reasons were irrelevant since his speech made no impression on Maya who replied with, “So I just want to know, can I have cake tonight? Yes or no?”

And they say sugar isn’t addictive…

1. November 7, 2012 12:44 am

Happy B’Day Ameena’s Bro. Hassan I know, but we haven’t been introduced yet, remember ?
    **********
    Ali’s response : Best of his dialogues featured here
    **************
    Or:
    3. Ali wants to win popularity vote of your blogger buddies and therefore you. (Obviously, I’ve been watching too much election analysis) 🙂
    *********
    And the answer,” Yes, but only the first serving please…..”. Right ?

• November 7, 2012 8:04 pm

Election analysis…too funny. Yes, I think Ali wants to win the popular vote! Which is MY vote. Of course. 🙂

2. November 7, 2012 1:46 am

Haha coming from a sugar addict, I can’t say I really blame Maya. At least one thing is for sure: your daughter is a go-getter…she knows what she wants and won’t stop till she gets it ;)! On the topic of Ali- does his new-found tough love mean you need to soften up a bit?? 😀

• November 7, 2012 8:04 pm

Not sure how to soften up…anybody have any tips on how to make that happen?

3. November 7, 2012 4:19 am

Aah, missed you your little family tussles! But I am with Maya on this one….If there is cake around, I will have it for breakfast 🙂 Happy birthday to your brother!

• November 7, 2012 8:05 pm

So maybe I’m in the wrong here? Not sure I can do so much sugar in the morning (anymore) but maybe I should give the cake for breakfast a try?

4. November 7, 2012 4:22 am

A breakfast of champions 🙂

5. November 7, 2012 4:40 am

I think to ‘assume’ Maya is a sugar addict is a little to harsh in my opinion. Sometimes, kids test the water, and without doing so, they can’t decide whether its right or wrong, good or bad. Maybe if you found cake in her bedroom, or her school bag or crumbs around her bed, then I can agree with you – but on this one, I think both you and Ali have got it wrong.

• November 7, 2012 8:06 pm

I know that Maya isn’t a sugar addict…yet. But seriously, the kid is headed there. All she does it talk about sugary things!

6. November 7, 2012 5:13 am

Ali’s response is priceless. Who cares why he said it.
    Smart-ass syndrome runs rampant around these parts. It makes me crazier than crazy when I put my foot down about something, ANYTHING, and then they ask me again anyway!!! Like as if they were just waiting for me to finish talking and not listening at all so they could repeat themselves. Gah.
    On a side note, as I’m sure you know from my posts, I do like my sweets in the morning. My theory is that I’ll just get it out of the way and work it off before lunch. But I’m a grown up. I earned the right to make crappy breakfast decisions.

• November 7, 2012 8:07 pm

I read an article about a family that lost a ton of weight because they ate in reverse…dinner for breakfast, and breakfast for dinner. So I think there is something to the idea of working it off before lunch!

7. November 7, 2012 5:15 am

Just seeing the title of this post on my feed made me so happy! I know, I know I’ll change my tune when little man is gobbling cake for breakfast but right now, it’s just such a happy feeling. A huge slice of pound cake, a good coffee, call me content 🙂

PS: That looks like a fantastic party! Art is such a nice present because it is both sentimental and practical! And for the record, when did this happen when little brothers have everything? I’m always amazed at the things my little brother has (that I don’t) 🙂

• November 7, 2012 8:08 pm

I haven’t had pound cake in years but now I’m dreaming of a giant piece with jam. That would be okay for breakfast, right? I mean it’s breakfast-ish with the jam?

8. November 7, 2012 5:23 am

I really do enjoy how Maya cuts through the bullshit. This is going to be dangerous later on…

9. November 7, 2012 6:35 am

Ah the joys of parenting! I always tell Vishnu that when we have kids we need to present a united front. He laughs and says that he’s going to be the nice one and I’m going to be the one that says no. Lord help me!!

• November 7, 2012 8:10 pm

It’s inevitable. I can’t name a single mom who isn’t the bad guy. Don’t fight it because it’s going to happen!!

10. November 7, 2012 7:01 am

I think Maya and my daughter would get along just fine. My kids have totally been sneaking Halloween candy for breakfast, as evidenced by the wrappers I’ve found hidden under the couch.

• November 7, 2012 8:10 pm

I’m not sure if I’d be more annoyed by them eating candy for breakfast or for shoving wrappers under the couch??

11. November 7, 2012 7:19 am

Ha, I can’t help but laugh at Maya’s retorts! Though I imagine that, as a parent, they are infinitely frustrating. PS – I want that cake for breakfast!

• November 7, 2012 8:11 pm

Frustrating is right. I hear that one day I’ll look back and laugh about it?

12. November 7, 2012 7:34 am

That one bout of sickness had changed Ali’s parenting style, I say 🙂 I am guessing Maya is quite the active child as is, how does she do when she has that much sugar in her system?

• November 7, 2012 8:11 pm

When Maya has sugar in her system she is out of control. Quite literally. She can’t stop jumping up and down and she even tells me that she can’t stop because she has so much energy! It’s kind of funny, in a weird way. For like a second. 🙂

13. November 7, 2012 8:03 am

Haha kids! She wants what she wants 🙂
    Happy belated to your brother!

Katie

• November 7, 2012 8:12 pm

She does want what she wants. I suppose I should admire that?

14. November 7, 2012 9:46 am

Hahahaha…. I love Maya’s reply! That is one very smart & determine kid! So did you guys allow her eat her cake that night? 🙂
    Happy belated birthday to your brother. Oh to be 30 again!

• November 7, 2012 8:12 pm

Pretty sure Ali snuck her some after dinner…he can’t say no to her!

15. November 7, 2012 11:32 am

I would rather have my kids eat a little flour and eggs with their sugar than just straight up sugar! I heard a tell tell rustling in Ethan’s room this morning and sure enough found him eating Halloween candy before breakfast, GROSS!

Between the 3 of them they got over 20 lbs. of candy!!!! I can literally see the cavities forming.

And just so you know, Maya is adorable. You gotta give her credit for now beating around the bush.

• November 7, 2012 8:13 pm

Candy for breakfast is somehow is more gross than cake…and I am laughing at the cavities. I was imagining the same thing with Maya!

16. November 7, 2012 11:32 am

Not! Not beating around the bush.

17. November 7, 2012 11:54 am

It makes me happy to know that there are other couples with completely different views on parenting. Maybe it is strategic. If Marc agreed kids need sleep or grooming or good nutrition I wouldn’t know what to do or say. And can you tell me what to do when the lectures don’t phase your children? We’re at that stage.

• November 7, 2012 8:14 pm

I’m sure that lectures will cease to faze Maya soon enough. I have no idea what to do then? Threats?

18. November 7, 2012 11:59 am

Flour. Eggs. Wheat. Milk.

Purrrrfect.

Love your stories, girl! x

19. November 7, 2012 12:10 pm

Maya is pretty serious about her sugar, such a go-getter kid. plus i cant really blame that child for wanting cake for breakfast- who wouldnt? 😛

• November 7, 2012 8:15 pm

I can’t blame her I suppose she’s just a kid…but it still annoyed me nonetheless!

20. November 7, 2012 12:17 pm

im mad old, and i still have dessert for breakfast…but that said, i dont have a strict mom…maya is very lucky though!

• November 7, 2012 8:15 pm

Mad old? I doubt that. If you are mad old I think I’m just…ancient!

21. November 7, 2012 12:18 pm

Sorry my friend. I’ve been known to offer up cake for Dudette’s breakfast when the options have been slim. It has eggs, flour, milk; all good things. It also doesn’t happen very often in our house, but it has happened.

• November 7, 2012 8:16 pm

Well I’m impressed. If you can offer cake then maybe I should lighten up and offer cake?

22. November 7, 2012 1:57 pm

Just commented on your FB a little while ago.. that I had Pecan Pie for breakfast yesterday.. I know. Poor kid, can’t exactly blame her as long as it isn’t a habit. 🙂
    Hey, how is that photo a map of NYC? I don’t see it… I’m slow. 😦

• November 7, 2012 8:17 pm

Up close the black is actually a satellite image of NYC. It isn’t very clear in this above picture…you aren’t slow!

23. November 7, 2012 2:16 pm

Perhaps Ali thought cake for breakfast was a good idea and was considering it for himself! Love the photo of the 3 of you…love the sunset. The artwork is very cool and even better that it was on his cake! I love unusual cakes!

• November 7, 2012 8:18 pm

Surprisingly Ali does not eat cake for breakfast. He eats oatmeal. Every single day.

And thank you for the compliments. 🙂

24. November 7, 2012 3:10 pm

She remains unfazed and steadfast in her mission to eat cake!! LOL!!

25. November 7, 2012 4:47 pm

Completely unrelated to your post, but I was watching Live! with Kelly & Michael while I was getting dressed, and Kelly mentioned something how her husband refuses to let her check in any bags when they fly for some fear that their luggage will be taken into the “underworld of the plane’s underbelly”. For some reason, this made me think of Ali doing something similar to that and not allowing you to check in bags. I may be completely off-base, but it was so crazy and hilarious sounding, I had to share!

• November 7, 2012 8:20 pm

Want to hear something crazy? I’m the one who refuses to check her luggage! I am totally convinced that the one time I do check my stuff it’s going to disappear.

I let Ali check his stuff…at his own risk!

26. November 7, 2012 6:00 pm

Ali actually said that??? Hmm…no wonder you’re looking for an ulerior motive, most of your readers would too :-)). And I guess Maya’s getting immune to her Mom’s (and Dad’s) lectures!! Please wish your brother a Happy Birthday from your readers, and that gift is amazing!! My brother turned 26 recently and I was going crazy wondering what to get him!!

• November 7, 2012 8:21 pm

Brothers are hard to buy for, right? Let me know if you want the link to where I bought it…I can email it to you!

27. November 7, 2012 7:32 pm

Maya is so wise behind her years… She will have her husband wrapped around her finger! (whoops, i know im getting ahead of myself!)

• November 7, 2012 8:21 pm

Maya with a husband…scary thought! 🙂 Luckily that should be a decade and a half (at least) away. 🙂

28. November 7, 2012 8:52 pm

Kids are so relentless with sweets. This could have been a post about my 8yo son. Love it!

• November 8, 2012 9:31 pm

Relentless is right…too bad Maya isn’t relentless with her subtraction homework…

29. November 7, 2012 8:58 pm

I am trying to figure out the picture, but I don’t see the map … where is it from?

30. November 7, 2012 9:26 pm

I absolutely LOVE the cake…very Don Draper. I would have been upset too, if my son ate cake for breakfast…I’m sure we have all done the same when we were younger, and the fact is that our moms would have ticked us off for doing so if they caught us. It’s a cycle, I guess. Maya does eat healthy (I can never forget the broccoli and salmon! Two thumbs up,) but cake and candy for breakfast should still be a no-no. When our kids hit college, that’s probably all they’ll be eating anyway, so a strong foundation now will help them!!

• November 8, 2012 9:33 pm

I ate terribly during college so I totally agree with you. I remember eating pizza and buffalo wings, if you can believe it. I feel slightly nauseous admitting that.

31. November 8, 2012 1:43 am

Ali is cracking me up!!! Cake for breakfast…well, not the best but I think it could also be worse. I came downstairs and caught my kids trying to get into their Halloween candy and I just said, “sorry this is when I throw it away.” It had been about five days anyway, they’d had enough right? You’ve got to hand it to her really, I mean some breakfast muffins are probably worse than cake!! hahahahahaha. I love this post. The way you describe the two of you lecturing her just cracks me up. Ameena-I miss you! I am blogging everyday for November. I know you’re busy, but you are missed just the same! Love,

Shauna xoxoxoxxoo

• November 8, 2012 9:33 pm

Maya was allowed to pick 15 pieces of candy and we donated the rest to the troops. Love that idea!

Blogging every day? What an amazing idea. I can barely pull it together once a week!

32. November 8, 2012 2:01 am

Well, at least there was the illusion of a united parental front?
    Hehe, the sugar addict in me feel Maya’s pain. If I started out with sugar in the morning it would just be something I wanted all day. Hence why I chocolate I’m bed so I can sleep it off…dang powerful drug, that sugar.

• November 8, 2012 9:34 pm

I agree..sugar in the morning leads to massive sugar cravings all day long! That’s what happens to me when I down granola for breakfast (which, if I’m being honest, likely has as much sugar as the cake Maya ate).

33. November 8, 2012 4:15 am

Heck I’m with Maya on this one! A bit of sweet sugar first thing in the morning? Oh wow that would kick start my day! If only I still had the ability to EAT stuff like that without feeling as sick as a dog! Alas, age catches up on your sweet palate eventually. Frankly, I’m jealous that Maya CAN eat cake for breakfast and hope she can secretly sneak more past you! From occasional time to time of course 😉

• November 8, 2012 9:35 pm

Age has caught up with me too Ken…I can’t do the sugar thing as much as I used to. If I do, my skin look scary and I too feel sick.

34. November 8, 2012 9:58 am

Oh shoot. My comment got ate like the cake.

Muffins. Muffins are breakfast cake and they are widely accepted.

• November 8, 2012 9:36 pm

I must say, I make fabulous muffins and they have 2 T of sugar in the entire batch of 10. They aren’t cake-like at all.

35. November 8, 2012 11:36 am

Ummm aren’t there eggs in cake? Like that could be considered a dairy product. No? Meh *stuffs face with a cinnamon roll for lunch

• November 8, 2012 9:36 pm

Hmm…there are eggs. But also about 2 cups of sugar which I think cancels out even the slightest health benefit.

36. November 8, 2012 12:07 pm

That picture is pretty cool. I wish there was a close-up so we could see the map!

37. November 8, 2012 3:00 pm

You have to admire Maya’s ability to not get distracted and stay on track with the real issue of whether she could have cake that night. 😉

• November 8, 2012 9:40 pm

This is very true SAW…she is persistent for sure.

38. November 8, 2012 3:07 pm

what a wonderful blog! thank you for your comment on mine too!

39. November 8, 2012 3:35 pm

haha I love that Maya was still just concerned with whether or not she could have some cake. Way to stay focused Maya. 🙂

• November 8, 2012 9:40 pm

Funny how she focuses on cake but nothing academically-oriented?

40. November 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Hey Ameena! I just wanted to pop in and say hi and that you have been on my mind recently! I hope all is well for you and your fam (despite this cake for breakfast business…)
    I’ve been going through my old blog posts and reading the comments and I’m remembering how strikingly important our friendship was to me at a really weird time in my life and i just wanted to say a quick hello and thank you. Sending love across the country!
    xo
    Rose

• November 11, 2012 9:45 am

Hi Rose! It’s so good to hear from you. I haven’t forgotten about you and our coffee date a couple of years ago on the UWS…it was great chatting with you. I hope you are doing well in school and are liking it. 🙂

41. erika permalink
    November 10, 2012 4:11 pm

I know Maya your a girl your just practicing ahead of time for PMS even before you know what it means…Learn to love chocolate its easier to sneak. 😉

• November 11, 2012 9:46 am

PMS…poor thing has lots NOT to look forward to!

42. rebeccasubbiah permalink
    November 11, 2012 10:59 am

sounds like me and our 4 yr old great art work

43. glamorous glutton permalink
    November 11, 2012 3:08 pm

I can remember sneaking things I wasn’t supposed to have, cake amongst them. Leah’s right, Maya’s focus has to be admired. Did she get cake again?! GG

44. November 11, 2012 8:43 pm

So sneaky a cake for breakfast is just sneaky, although following her hunger (and I am sure you don’t have cake hanging around often! But what a lovely cake it is!) what would be awesome for you is to be able to one day offer her cake. That way, you look like the awesome cool mom that can be a little crazy sometimes. But sneaking it, that is a good lesson in being honest, right?

• November 13, 2012 7:25 pm

I totally want to offer her cake…but everyone beats me to it. So frustrating!

45. November 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Cake for breakfast is a GREAT idea (who said sugar was addictive?) lol….your title made me cheese pretty hard =)

46. November 13, 2012 5:55 am

a big LOL.

47. November 13, 2012 9:42 am

There was one time when I was a little kid that my mom was making cookies for an afternoon party and I wanted to sneak one when my mom wasn’t looking. Well, they were sitting on the stove cooling and I went to grab one and my chin touched the still-hot oven and burned the bejeezus out of my face. That taught me to try to eat dessert before 10 am. So really, Maya pretty much got off easy with the lecture, even if you guys DID have a united front against her. 😉

• November 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Did your mom see the burn? Did she yell at you or try to make it all better by giving you a cookie?

I’m sure I’d yell at Maya. 🙂

48. November 13, 2012 2:21 pm

I wake up thinking about eating cake for breakfast on some days and I eat this http://eatliveburp.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/vegan-fat-free-apple-oatmeal-muffins/ . But if I had a cake with rich frosting at home, I dont think I can resist having it for breakfast:)

• November 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks for the link…I love the idea of oatmeal muffins!

49. Irina permalink
    November 13, 2012 4:13 pm

I’d like to make a complaint: I just found your blog and cannot pull myself away from it. Thanks a lot!

• November 13, 2012 7:27 pm

My heart sank when I saw the word complaint…but this one I actually love! 🙂

50. November 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Hahaha…I totally would have eaten cake for breakfast as a kid if I could have gotten away with it. But I’d like to think that I would have at least *pretended* to be sorry if I’d gotten caught!! 🙂

• November 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Yeah apparently Maya is over being sorry! At 7 years old. Go figure.

1. Pumpkin Torte | Sugar Dish Me