made to order shoes

May 11, 2012

You need more shoes like a hole in the head. So no, you cannot order them.”

This was in response to Maya’s request that I order the shoes she designed in her weekly computer class. (Yes, I have a variety of questions about this class too, but I’m just too tired to know where to start).

Shortly after my emphatic no, Maya inched her way over to Ali. And as soon as she thought I was no longer in earshot she pounced.

Maya: “I designed shoes in computer class today Dad.”
Ali: “Nice.”
Maya: “Did you know that you can order them online at converse.com? The actual ones I designed?”
Ali: “Nice.”
Maya: “So can you?”
Ali: “Can I what?”
Maya: “Can you order them?”
Ali: “Can I order what? Maya, what are you talking about?’

I know I should judge Maya’s creativity but flowers? Really?

After his initial irritation at Maya cutting into his precious computer time, I could feel Ali waiver. Did I mention he finds it impossible to tell her no?

Ali: Maya, you don’t need any more shoes.”
Maya: “Well Daddy, according to my calculations I only have 3 pairs of shoes I can wear to school…”

At this point I stopped listening because my mind was occupied with the following thoughts:

• I almost want to give Maya the shoes just for utilizing the phrase “according to my calculations.”
  • Using “Daddy” instead of “Dad” was a nice touch. Good job Maya!
  • My kid is going to be a litigator.
  • If Maya spent half as much time on math as she does honing her persuasion skills she’d have mastered subtraction by now.
  • How does Ali have so much patience?

And then, when I couldn’t listen to one more second I yelled from my hiding place: “Mama said no. And no is no. End of conversation.”

And that Ali? That’s how you say no.

1. May 11, 2012 12:17 am

Oh dear, now that you have shared the knowledge that I could design and order my own shoes, I may have to hide my credit card from myself…
    Your daughter is quite precocious!

• May 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Luckily the designing occurs on converse.com so the damage there is minimal as opposed to louboutin.com…

2. May 11, 2012 12:27 am

and the mommy has spoken 😀 haha

3. May 11, 2012 1:50 am

I’m laughing sooo hard!!!! But mommy- she did DESIGN the shoes herself…for that alone you should say YES 🙂
    I loved your ending to this….it would have been my husband and I in reverse- he is always the definitive NO person and I’m the wishy washy one….my kids used to get so mad because, “Dad says no before we even ask” ha ha!

• May 11, 2012 2:28 pm

I am exactly like your husband! I have a no all ready to go no matter what the question is…

4. May 11, 2012 2:41 am

Ha ha ha, that was funny!! But seriously, if I didn’t do the ‘No’ thing, my son would leave every toy store armed with one or the other of Thomas the Tank Engine’s friends 🙂

• May 11, 2012 2:29 pm

I remember the good old Thomas the Tank days…and now it’s shoes. I guess it’s inevitable?

5. May 11, 2012 3:07 am

Can we backtrack? Converse let’s you design your own shoes? Fun. And in LA children do this in school? What’s next learning geometry via diamonds? And “according to my calculations” is genius but who did she get that from? Lovely orchid as well.

• May 11, 2012 2:29 pm

I am as surprised to hear that my child was designing shoes at school as well! But I have to say, I sort of want to give it a try…

6. May 11, 2012 3:19 am

If Maya was my daughter, I would be super proud..heck either way I am proud of the girl! She knows how to get what she wants. The term “daddy” always goes a long way, and I speak from experience :)! On a separate note, I am amazed by Converse- when did they become so snazzy and start offering customised shoes??

• May 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Converse is making a comeback! And I just gave them a whole lot more free publicity!

7. May 11, 2012 3:58 am

She definitely knows how to work the system. I am terrified as to what her future brings… and also what YOUR future brings… ha ha

8. May 11, 2012 3:59 am

It’s always the resounding no From the other room that echos through the house…it’s a great effect and an end all to whining 😉

• May 11, 2012 2:30 pm

And echo it did! Me and my big mouth made sure of that. 🙂

9. May 11, 2012 4:02 am

Love her technique. Her only mistake not waiting until you have already left the room – live and lean Maya.

I suppose designing the sneakers was one of those “hooks” that makes children more interested in learning – I usually find those “hooks” don’t work well!

• May 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Good point. Maybe the hook was imperative in helping Maya learn something important about the computer/Internet?

10. May 11, 2012 4:15 am

OH I Know about these computer classes…
    Maya definitely knows how to get what she want… Good Job Maya… I am sure next time mom will not say no…

• May 11, 2012 2:32 pm

Of course I’ll say no! I say no every time. That’s just what I do. 🙂

11. May 11, 2012 5:04 am

You know what?? I loved the shoes maya has designed. It looks too cute and girly. Loved the way she was persuading Ali. I guess I should take some lessons from her 🙂

• May 11, 2012 2:32 pm

I think I need some lessons from her too. I can’t get Ali to do much of anything. 🙂

12. May 11, 2012 5:19 am

I wold have said yes. I cannot say no either. I am heading straight for a downfall I know.

• May 11, 2012 2:32 pm

I’ll give you lessons! It’s really easy once you get the hang of it.

13. May 11, 2012 5:23 am

You and my mom would be best friends! And in a few years, I’m sure I’ll join the club as well. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve heard “no means no.” 🙂

• May 11, 2012 2:33 pm

My line is, “Mama says things once. And she already said no!”

14. May 11, 2012 5:32 am

Say it like you Mean It!! Love it! Have a great weekend, Ameena! (I Do think the sneakers are cute, though. 😉 )

15. May 11, 2012 6:17 am

According to MY calculations your daughter is hilarious.
    My children think that repeating themselves over and over in a feeble attempt to wear me down will make no mean yes. They are wrong. It really just makes me extra cranky.
    Props to Maya for being creative. Gold star for Mama that says no and means it!

• May 11, 2012 2:33 pm

The repeated asking makes me unbelievably cranky! And we all know I’m already on a short leash…

16. May 11, 2012 6:25 am

I’m so impressed by both Maya and Ali. Maya for being very persistent & never gave up (love those flowery Converse she designed though) and Ali for sticking to you and said no. Good for him! Have a great weekend!

• May 11, 2012 2:35 pm

He would have given in if I hadn’t intervened…I speak from experience here!

17. Lady Jennie permalink
    May 11, 2012 7:05 am

Actually, I like the flowers. And the negotiating skills – you go Maya.

• May 11, 2012 2:36 pm

The flowers are cute…in shoe form though? I’m not so sure…

18. May 11, 2012 8:16 am

Smart girl! But then she has a smart mama to emulate 🙂

19. May 11, 2012 8:23 am

As an attorney, I commend Maya for her negotiation and persuasion skills. As a mom, I’m going to start practicing my “no means no” skills.

• May 11, 2012 2:36 pm

So in your expert opinion, do you think she’s well on her way to a successful career in your field? 🙂

• May 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Absolutely. 🙂

• May 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Actually, with her skills, I know she will be successful in whatever field she decides. 🙂

20. May 11, 2012 8:28 am

Very cool that you can design your own shoes, but I’m with you, wondering why the kids doing this at school…

My kids try to do the same thing when I say no and follow up with “Daddy.” Luckily, my husband and I both usually are on the same “no means no” page.

• May 11, 2012 2:37 pm

You are lucky to be on the same page as your husband. This happens VERY rarely with Ali. In any capacity!

21. dixya permalink
    May 11, 2012 9:07 am

hahaha her word choices were very smart! Maybe you should give her the shoes after all 😛

• May 11, 2012 2:37 pm

For a minute I wanted to!! But then I came to my senses…

22. Deeps @ Naughty Curry permalink
    May 11, 2012 9:12 am

haha… ur daughter is well on her way to becoming the next big thing in law 😀

23. Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles permalink
    May 11, 2012 9:19 am

Way to set boundaries! I never even had a computer class as a kid…and I definitely never designed a pair of converses.

You could have said: we can order them, but we’ll need to donate them to a kid in a third world country who has no shoes.

Next time.

• May 11, 2012 2:38 pm

I love that idea! I’m impressed with your quick thinking Andrea…

24. May 11, 2012 9:21 am

This was hilarious. She speaks really well for a 7 year old, I agree, just for using “according to my calculations,” I’d buy her the shoes. She’s so cute! Your husband is so funny.. he just had no clue what she was talking about. 🙂 I’ts good though 1 of you puts their foot down, I think my kid would walk all over me.

• May 11, 2012 2:38 pm

I doubt you’d let anyone walk all over you, especially your kid! I can tell..

25. May 11, 2012 11:11 am

Haha “according to my calculations” – she’s such a well spoken cutie, love it! In all seriousness I admire the fact that you try to impose moderation on Maya even though you could very easily spoil her as an only child – not sure I’d be able to exercise the same self-control. 🙂

• May 11, 2012 2:39 pm

I bet you could easily impose the same moderation…I feel almost like it’s impossible not to. At least some of the time!

26. May 11, 2012 11:53 am

i love that she said “according to my calculations”, too! how cute is she.

27. May 11, 2012 12:48 pm

You made me laugh, that is how daddy says no in our house too 😉

28. May 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Well, at least they appear to be tasteful flowers, not a garish Marimekko-style monstrosity. Once, when I was about Maya’s age, I saw a commercial for Depends and decided that we NEEDED SOME OF THOSE in the house and tried really hard to get my mom to buy them. She literally cracked up in my face. It was just demoralizing enough for me to reconsider asking my parents to order things for me after that.

• May 11, 2012 2:40 pm

So curious…what did you want the Depends for? How funny!

29. May 11, 2012 6:25 pm

I need you to come to my house and deal with my 8 year-old’s constant begging for paid memberships to online gaming sites. I’m one tantrum away from throwing out the computer and teaching him how to play Yahtzee.

• May 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Online gaming sites? That’s an interesting one. I wonder if that’s next on Maya’s list?

30. May 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Too funny! She’s a smart little girl and very persistent. I mean they were custom designed by her 🙂

Katie

• May 12, 2012 8:52 pm

She is definitely persistent. It kind of annoys me. 🙂

31. May 11, 2012 6:54 pm

I pray to god my nieces don’t read your blog because they will be right up there with maya trying to get their own custom designed converses. These shoes are huge here and are a must have according to every kid around.

I always say no, I’m such a toughie 😉 and I’ve got so much practice now to say no to any kids I may have 😉

Maya is a very smart girl!!

• May 12, 2012 8:53 pm

Converse made a sudden comeback, didn’t they? I remember them being big when I was a kid and then suddenly they were gone? And now they’re back again…

32. Sam @ Mom At The Barre permalink
    May 11, 2012 9:29 pm

So funny how she tried to work Ali!And so it begins- wait till she hits the tweens!

• May 12, 2012 8:54 pm

I am VERY nervous for the tweens. Or even 16…I can’t imagine what she’ll be expecting as her first car…

33. May 12, 2012 7:32 am

–I So Love the stories and tribuations of your AWESOME family.

Even Ali sort of rocks . Haaa.

34. May 12, 2012 11:31 am

She is definitely going to be a lawyer! I like her style!!!

• May 12, 2012 8:55 pm

At least her talents will be put to good use then, right?

35. May 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Ha! Good for you! And, it doesn’t sound like patience but more like distracted from computer time.

• May 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Good point! Suddenly I feel better about my lack of patience…

36. May 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Haha her negotiation skills are truly Indian! And ‘according to my calculations…’ i burst out laughing. That girl is going to make big changes in the world 🙂

37. anywherethereisanairport permalink
    May 13, 2012 6:03 am

“according to my calculations” – such a proud moment! She will be one finely dresses litigator. 🙂

38. May 13, 2012 9:52 am

Savy. I love kids who are excellent arguers. Especially because they aren’t mine.
    🙂

39. May 13, 2012 10:46 am

She definitely gave it her all. I’m still wondering how Converse wielded their way into the public school system! Happy Mother’s day to you Ameena! Ali better be buying YOU a pair of shoes today. 🙂

40. May 13, 2012 5:47 pm

“According to my calculations…” Smooooth!

41. May 13, 2012 6:50 pm

When I was a pup, the only computer science we did was keyboarding. How shoe design fits into any curriculum is beyond me. I suppose we should just be giving thanks that Maya went with flowers and not something involving heavy doses of hearts or rainbows. Small mercies. Small mercies.

42. May 14, 2012 5:51 am

I think Ali would have ordered her the shoes, not because he is patient but because he didn’t want her trying to talk him into it all day, and possibly all week.

My kids pull this all the time and I have to look them in the eye and tell them they are bullying me and being manipulative. Like you said, No means No. They forget this a lot.

43. May 14, 2012 7:04 am

LOL!!! “According to my calculations….” Love that. Such a precocious child.

44. May 14, 2012 10:46 am

haha you have a smart kid there. No wonder Ali has a hard time telling her no.

45. May 14, 2012 7:28 pm

“According to my calculations.” Perfect. Just perfect. 😉 Good for you for holding your ground.

46. Gayatri permalink
    June 6, 2012 4:15 pm

Hilarious! Maya is going to become the best lawyer America has seen. Just you wait!