siri

April 13, 2012

They say that technology is supposed to make your life easier. This is not always the case.

Take Siri for example…obviously you haven’t had the pleasure of hearing Ali and Maya screaming with laughter as they try to get her to curse /say something idiotic. For fifteen minutes straight. On a very long car ride.

And then there’s FaceTime. Now my husband loves FaceTime more than life itself. He fits in little sessions at super convenient times, like when a flight attendant says, “The aircraft door is now closed. Please power off your electronic devices!”

Apparently that’s Ali’s cue to get in some quality time with whomever he can find at the moment.

Finally...an instance where technology does make my life easier.

I nearly lost my sh@# a few weeks ago when Ali flew to Seattle and asked me to get on FaceTime the second he checked into his hotel. It took a heroic amount of restraint but I managed not to say,“But I just saw you less than 6 hours ago. Since neither of us look any different since then can I get back to my overflowing email inbox?”

Recently Ali sneakily downloaded Skype on my iPhone. And with that I have to wonder: am I a horrible person because I don’t want to be reachable 24/7 by a variety of different means including telephone, email, Skype, and FaceTime?

I’m not sure. Maybe I should check with Siri?

1. April 13, 2012 12:09 am

I asked siri for a boyfriend,
    The screen cracked 😦

2. April 13, 2012 12:22 am

Oh, my. I know what you mean. I love Skype on my computer, but having it on my iPhone is a bit much because now I’m getting contacted all the time. It can be distracting.

• April 13, 2012 1:12 pm

I don’t even like Skype on my computer. Which, yes, Ali installed anyway!

3. April 13, 2012 2:27 am

I was reading an article a few days ago, about an experiment being conducted by Apple. The have learnt that vast majority of people keep their mobile phones, in their case Apple iPhone, next to their pillow when they go to sleep, and as a result, they have experimenting whether sounds and voices from the phone could help people fall to sleep and more importantly whether with the influence of sounds and voices they could control what you dream about.

I wish they had this technology when I was at University. I need someone who I can ask questions to – Siri sounds perfect and I could have asked her if she new the answers to some exams.

I could also use this new experiment for controlling sleep as I found it impossible to sleep due to study stress, and I would stay awake for hours and hours each night studying, even when I didn’t need to – simple because I knew I could not sleep.

• April 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Interesting…I read about a study that indicated people who had their phones right next to their bedside slept inadequately. Something about some negative energy that was being given off by the phone?

4. April 13, 2012 4:02 am

I have had my iphone 4s for 4 month. Have not used facetime once. And I have definitely not found a good use for Siri other than to have her call people for me when I’m in traffic. We have a communication disconnect and I often end up searching whatever it is by myself.

• April 13, 2012 1:14 pm

A communication disconnect…I have that with Siri too. And Ali…

5. April 13, 2012 4:26 am

I avoid video chatting whenever humanly possible. Skype was great when my little sister lived in France and I was properly dressed to see her on Thanksgiving. But on the regular? NO. I’m not crazy about having to smile or think about trying to look un-crazy when I’m home in my sweats with my hair in a knot on my head while contemplating cake batter.

• April 13, 2012 1:15 pm

I swear, I look 100 X worse on Skype/FaceTime than I do in real life. Is it the lighting? The magnification? Who knows?

6. April 13, 2012 5:17 am

You might ask Siri 😉
    I’m a fan of FaceTime when it’s my idea haha! Happy Friday!

Katie

7. April 13, 2012 6:15 am

Oh I love love love the picture of you and Ali. You guys make a handsome couple! Love your hair, it’s perfect! I have none of them (Siri nor FaceTime), I’m not high-tech kind of girl 🙂
    Have a great weekend.

• April 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Thank you Lydia! I want to take this compliment graciously but I feel compelled to let you know that my hair isn’t perfect. Or even close! 🙂

8. April 13, 2012 6:30 am

Forrest just started dating Siri a few weeks ago and I’m over their fling!! At first I thought she would be helpful with reminding him about appointments and answering some of the questions that I have to answer but that’s not the case. He has a southern accent and Siri doesn’t recognize the words coming out of his mouth – their relationship status stands as “it’s complicated” 🙂

• April 13, 2012 1:18 pm

It’s complicated…I love it. I think that’s where Ali’s relationship stands with Siri AND me. 🙂

9. April 13, 2012 7:06 am

There is “old fashion” about just talking on the phone. Face time is great. But not when I am too tired to “appear” excited to talk to you. Much easier just to fake the inflection in my voice. 🙂

• April 13, 2012 1:18 pm

I always look tired on FaceTime/Skype. And I look especially hideous for some reason!

10. hcoving permalink
    April 13, 2012 7:30 am

I hate FaceTime mainly because I am vain and I think it makes everyone look like some more wrinkled, haggard version of themselves. I would prefer to just be a voice.

• April 13, 2012 1:19 pm

I said the exact same thing above…I look hideous on FaceTime/Skype. I prefer to be a voice as well.

11. April 13, 2012 7:30 am

hahaha I am not sure either but I love that photo of you two.

12. Katie permalink
    April 13, 2012 7:35 am

This is a long-standing dilemma for me. I love technology and I hate it. Sometimes, I just want to shut down (and have others do so too). Sometimes I enjoy posting and reading other people’s things, and obviously blogs! But, we’re all so addicted. I could use less.

• April 13, 2012 1:20 pm

I’m so addicted to the Internet. But not my phone. I way prefer to be on email than on the telephone…

13. April 13, 2012 8:21 am

I know what you mean, Ameena. I’m getting to the point I hate when I get a text. Sometimes, I just want to be left alone! Usually when I’m reading.

• April 13, 2012 1:20 pm

I always want to be left alone. Phone or otherwise. 🙂 Maya didn’t get that memo!

14. April 13, 2012 8:39 am

Okay….maybe I am hiding my head in the sand, but who is Siri (I thought she was Tom Cruise’s kid!)……
    Out of the techno loop, I suppose!

• April 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Suri…so close! I never thought of that before…

• WordsFallFromMyEyes permalink
      April 13, 2012 9:04 pm

YOU’re out of the techno loop? We must be sisters!!

15. akismet-069f82b6d320654603807f0aa4a9f1e9 permalink
    April 13, 2012 8:41 am

I looooove technology,
    but sometimes it’s just tooooo much.

I’m addicted…& I don’t want any more addictions.

Great photo of you guys ❤

16. April 13, 2012 8:55 am

I used Siri for the first time yesterday, and only to show my parents. Personally, I find all this extra technology annoying because it just drains my battery faster. I’d rather avoid facetime and have my phone hold a charge for longer than a day. But I’m anal that way.

• April 13, 2012 1:21 pm

It totally drains my battery. I guess I’m anal that way too…which isn’t surprising seeing as I’m anal about just about everything.

17. April 13, 2012 9:09 am

The man loves you and wants to see your face. Deal with it! I think it’s sweet. I have yet to meet Siri yet but I’ll probably have some laughs with it when I get my next i phone.

• April 13, 2012 1:22 pm

It is sweet when you put it that way. But I’m just not a sweet person! Not sure where I was when the “sweet genes” were being distributed…

18. April 13, 2012 9:54 am

I only recently got an iPhone (through work!) and now can’t live without it. It’s imperative that I check my email EVERY second. It’s a slippery slope, my friend.

PS: You guys look great. I hope NY treated you well!

• April 13, 2012 1:22 pm

It’s definitely a slippery slope with the email thing…

And thank you! NY was fantastic.

19. April 13, 2012 10:06 am

I thought Blackberry Messenger was invasive enough- I’m not sure I could handle Skype on my phone. What can I say- I like to maintain some degree of exclusitivity ;)!

• April 13, 2012 1:23 pm

I’ve never had a Blackberry…I imagine with the BB or board or whatever it’s referred to as you get your own dose of intrusiveness…

20. April 13, 2012 10:28 am

Funny 🙂

21. April 13, 2012 10:30 am

I’m with you on this … I dream about the time before cell phones… when you could go somewhere and NOBODY could reach you for 30 minutes. Heaven!

22. April 13, 2012 11:59 am

Maybe you should have someone else pretend it is you while talking on skype. I really hate technology and do not want to be reached at all times.

• April 13, 2012 1:24 pm

But the problem with Skype is that the other party can see you! Hence why there can be no substitution. 🙂

23. April 13, 2012 12:42 pm

I think you’re absolutely right. There is something intrusive about everyone being able to reach you and see you. I don’t even like to talk on the phone when people call, if I call them that’s different.

• April 19, 2012 8:31 pm

I guess in a way I prefer the anonymity of texting…. 🙂

24. April 13, 2012 1:58 pm

I am so far behind I don’t even know who Siri is! And I am perfectly comfortable ignoring things that beep to try to get me to talk.

• April 14, 2012 8:13 am

Is Siri not popular in Paris? I thought Europeans were way ahead of us!

25. April 13, 2012 2:03 pm

For fun, check with Siri and tell us what she replied 😉

I don’t have an iPhone, don’t use Siri, never tried Facetime, got no WiFi on my mobile – but ask me to connect on Skype, Facebook, four (unnecessary) e-mail accounts, Twitter, Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, or MSN – I’m ready 😀

My hubby calls me up from work each day about 4-5 times, sometimes just like that. I don’t know if it’s love or obsession, hehe. I’m usually nice (even though annoyed), but at times have to remind him we’re married and live in the same house and can talk at home too 😛

• April 14, 2012 8:14 am

I can so relate! Sometimes Ali calls me on his way home, while I’m trying to make dinner and give Maya a bath…and I’m like really? You’ll be home in 20 minutes. Can we not talk then? But somehow I keep it to myself…

26. April 13, 2012 2:26 pm

I love skype and face time because I can chat with my mom and relatives in India. I am not sure whether I would like it on my i phone though.

• April 14, 2012 8:14 am

Now that I understand! Skype is fantastic for seeing people abroad.

27. glamglutton permalink
    April 13, 2012 2:47 pm

I haven’t used Facetime yet. The pressure to look good at any time that someone calls me is too much. GG

• April 14, 2012 8:15 am

I totally agree! And FaceTime makes me look unbelievably hideous….

28. April 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Ha – I hate facetime! My brother tries to FT with me from the West Coast.. and I’m inevitably in my pajamas looking atrocious (not that I care with my brother … but I’d just rather remove the visual from the scenario!)

• April 14, 2012 8:15 am

I guess the time difference can cause that problem…. 🙂

29. The Mom Chef permalink
    April 13, 2012 3:35 pm

I have no idea what a siri is (I still have a flip phone). We do use skype, but it’s for grandparents to see their grand daughter, or for us to talk with clients. Hubby and I; just face-to-face. I’m assuming facetime is something like skype? I’ll pass. 🙂

• April 14, 2012 8:16 am

It’s like Skype but for iPhone users only. And I don’t blame you for passing…I would too! If I had a choice.

30. April 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Siri is funny! My kids are always asking her to tell them jokes!

• April 14, 2012 8:16 am

We should have your kids FaceTime with Maya…that will keep them out of our hair for a few hours. 🙂

31. April 13, 2012 7:27 pm

We love Skype!! it’s made living so far away from our parents much more bearable for them. We try to do it every weekend with at least one set of parents, but doesn’t seem to work out all the time.

Siri screws me up all the time. I do use to the voice activation a lot to send a quick text.

• April 14, 2012 8:17 am

This is true…Skype is great for reaching out to people who don’t live nearby! I don’t consider my husband to be in that category… 🙂

32. WordsFallFromMyEyes permalink
    April 13, 2012 9:06 pm

I don’t have a mobile… believe it or not! When I took my son to the doctor recently & they wanted to check our details, I said “I don’t have a mobile any more” & the desk lady raised her eyebrows and said “that’s brave!!” I never thought of it that way….

I would no way want to be available all the time but I would like all these accessibility apps (if I could afford a phone; can’t at the moment) – & I would just turn it all off when I wasn’t in the mood. I’ve been doing that all my life! Including with my home answering machine which is on right now.

Ali sounds lovely 🙂

• April 14, 2012 8:19 am

That is really impressive! The only call I will answer, no matter where or when, is from Maya’s school. And that’s the main reason I have a cell phone…just in case of an emergency…

33. April 13, 2012 10:14 pm

Cant do without skype!! But sometimes all of this can be quite overwhelming.

34. April 14, 2012 1:14 am

Perhaps you can program Siri to be able to tell when he’s trying to mess with your phone and give him a good talking too…”no more skype for you, buster”…

• April 14, 2012 8:19 am

I don’t have Siri on my phone…luckily. I think she and I would have issues…

35. April 14, 2012 7:51 am

I’m still on a regular cell phone–my husband is now researching smart phones for us. I’m pretty sure once that happens, I’ll never see him in person again.

36. April 14, 2012 6:22 pm

How funny! You need to make sure he does not find out about any of the “Partner Locator” apps 😉

37. April 15, 2012 4:48 am

I have a Skype account, I’ve never used it. I’m not sure what sort of heretical level this puts me on, but I just have no interest at all.

• April 15, 2012 7:54 am

You are a smart girl… not heretical at all. (Am I using that word correctly?)

38. April 15, 2012 6:00 am

This made me laugh. I told Siri off when I got the iPhone and I believe she said, “I don’t like your language.” it’s crazy how many different ways of communicating exist. Sometimes just need a break.

• April 15, 2012 7:54 am

Did she really? How funny that we haven’t heard her say that. Yet!

39. April 15, 2012 7:52 am

Totally relate to your woes! I don’t use any of them! Find them too intrusive!

40. April 15, 2012 8:00 am

So, my husband has actually decided to get rid of his iPhone. Or give his to me (since mine is almost 3 years old – gasp! How obsolete!), and then get a non-smart phone. Crazy!
    Personally, I love people who have Siri on their phone because you can spend an entire evening making fun of her/it. Yes, I have the sense of humor of a teenager. No, that’s not true. A teenager would have something with sex and Siri.
    Okay, moving on…

• April 17, 2012 6:43 am

I admire your husband! And I think you should hang out with Ali and Maya because they (and Siri) will entertain you to no end!

41. April 15, 2012 11:48 am

This is sort of cute. I mean, I hear you on the whole, “I just saw you six hours ago…..” but it’s so cute that he still wanted to see you…..

Though I do know what you mean about sometimes not wanting to be so reachable. I cancled fb for that reason. I hardly keep my phone on me and if someone really needs to talk to me, then they are close enough to me to know that I’d rather talk in person unless it’s an emergency. I just like my private time very very much.

Great post and thank you. 🙂

• April 17, 2012 6:44 am

I’m a mean wife…I know it! And yet I can’t help the honesty that I just can’t seem to keep to myself. 🙂

Thanks for the compliment and the comment!

42. April 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Every time when I accidentally turned on facetime (or the equivalent of it on my Andoroid phone) I winced, To be 100% honest, many times I check my phone on the loo, and srly, MYSELF would be the last thing I want to see on earth.

Now, Ali is on the other end of where my husb is: we were both in China last week. I arrived on Tuesday and left on Friday. He arrived on Thursday and won’t be back 2 weeks from now. He refused to come see me in my hotel, “I will see you back home.”

• April 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Just to clarify: MY HUSB was the one in China. Not Ali.

• April 17, 2012 6:45 am

Your husband is worse than me! I think that if Ali and I were in China, for even one overlap day, I would want to see him. 🙂 Probably!

43. April 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Ok, first up, you have a seriously handsome husband. I love that picture of you two! Second, I have no idea who Siri is, I’m thinking I need to crawl back into the techology free hole I came out of and pick up a few more apps on my way out. :)~ Finally, I’m probably the only person left on the planet that doesn’t carry around a smart phone. When I leave my house, I don’t want to be connected to technology. I just want to get away from it – so to me, you are definitely not a horrible person. 🙂

• April 15, 2012 6:42 pm

Btw… it’s linking me to some crazy ass “not my blog” link with my login. You probably know it’s me but just in case, it’s Julie from Mommie Cooks checking in to one of my favorite chica blogs. 🙂

• April 17, 2012 6:46 am

Julie – thank you for the compliments! And for checking in on my blog. You are the best.

And secondly, I think you are smart…I kind of don’t want to carry my phone around sometimes. I haven’t found the courage to do so. Yet…

44. April 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Amen. When Glenn goes to Cabo on his yearly surf trip I am the only wife not calling every day. In fact I don’t call him at all. He’s having fun there, I am probably making cookies or watching a reality show. The thing is there’s not that much to say and honestly I don’t miss him. I love him to death, but it’s nice to have a break. Really I think the other wifes are kind of weird for checking in so much.

• April 17, 2012 6:47 am

Love the honesty Marie! The break is so nice sometimes…I don’t feel the need to check in either! And there is something to be said about the trust you obviously have in your relationship. Hence the need NOT to keep calling!

45. April 16, 2012 8:18 am

I’m pretty sure Ali’s brain would explode if he met me. I like to say things like, “I’m going to get in the interwebs and check my emails.” and still call it “The Facebook”. Just to get under techies’ skin. 😉 I’m a punk and I know it.

• April 17, 2012 6:48 am

“The Facebook!” I think he’d die. Really, I think he would!

46. April 16, 2012 8:06 pm

I’m right with you. I got a cell phone for the first time in my life for Christmas and it’s the iphone 4S. Is that right? I think a couple people have my number, people are constantly saying, “well can I just have your cell number?” To which I say, “um, you can but I probably won’t answer it, my voice mail is not set up and really it is easier to get a hold of me at home.” I’m sure I’m the last person on the planet who can say that but tis’ true.

I love this iphone guess what I use it most for? To read my scriptures at night! Because it’s automatically lit up and I don’t have to bring a book light to bed anymore! I have two babies in our room so I have to be discreet. So that’s what I use the phone for. Hilarious huh? I think my husband is just glad I can use it at all…… 🙂 Take care!

Shauna

• April 17, 2012 6:49 am

Shauna…I totally think that it’s easier to talk on the home phone too! The reception is 100% better. And somehow it’s just easier to find the home phone. So you aren’t the last person on the planet to feel this way.

And 2 babies in your room? You have my utmost respect. Maya hasn’t spent a day in ours. 🙂

47. April 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Hail the ‘bond’ you two share 😛 hahaha..

48. April 19, 2012 12:30 am

Siri is a pain in the ass… It’s American based and in my phone it’s a guy. Now imagine me trying to talk to him in my Scottish accent and him trying to understand me. I never get a straight answer on anything and he’s still not searching here in the uk he can only search American businesses etc. The only answer I ever get from him is “Aneesa I’m sorry I don’t understand” typical male refusing to answer any questions or give a straight answer. Oh did tell me where I can hide a dead body 😉

I switched FaceTime off and remain invisible on Skype at all times. 🙂 anyone asks I say phOnes playing up 🙂 I have bad hair days too 😦

• April 19, 2012 8:09 am

I love this! I am totally crack up right now…”typical male refusing to answer any questions…”

So true.