customer service

February 21, 2012

Customer service has gone to sh#$.

I used to work in retail – I understand how much it sucks. As a matter of fact, I hated every second of my stint as a sales associate at Talbots. So why did I do it? Well because my dad told me not to, that’s why. And in my one and only act of teenage rebellion I somehow stuck it out for two very long years.

A fabulous lunch with friends at Fig & Olive. A place where customer service hasn't gone to sh#$.

Part of the problem was the fact that I am a terrible salesperson. The worst salesperson ever. Seriously, I couldn’t sell an umbrella in a downpour.

So it was no surprise that I was I consistently awarded the honor of being the lowest performing team member in our particular location. Two years in a row.

I now understand the impact of a "perfectly cooked scallop."

The other part of the problem was that the many of Talbot’s 40-something clientele were total snobs. And many considered me their own personal servant.

But despite being treated like crap, I never greeted a customer with anything but a smile, I never told my supervisor that I was tired/bored/unwilling to do something, and not once did I show up late to work.

Dessert : Cherries and basil crostini with marscapone. Sometimes the simplest desserts are the best.

This isn’t one of those, “I walked 10 miles in the snow to get to school” stories, but it kind of is.

Customer service is extinct and I think it’s because people hate their jobs. I get it, I’ve been there. But here’s a newsflash: just because you hate your job doesn’t mean it’s my problem. We all pay our dues in a crappy job and then we do our best to move forward. And guess what? I’ve paid my dues.

So to our waitress last weekend at Ra Sushi, to a variety of Air France employees, and to everyone  Budget Blinds? I’m talking to you.

1. February 21, 2012 12:16 am

–Ameena,
    I once asked the crabby clerk in this store, “How do they treat you here?”
    She responded, “Not well.”
    I said, “It Shows. You guys SUCK!”

Xx have a good Tuesday.

• February 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Such a good point: unhappy employees lead to unhappy customers.

2. February 21, 2012 12:52 am

totally loved the post, Ameena. I agree with you on customer service and how tired looking employees at the front desk are the last thing that a customer wants to see or deal with. It is so important for the management to keep such employees motivated so that they can have their chin up even they are not feeling like it.

• February 21, 2012 8:41 pm

So true…miserable front desk employees (especially at hotels) baffle me. Don’t their managers see them? Do they not care?

Strange.

3. February 21, 2012 1:42 am

The worst is an employee telling you what you are selecting is the “wrong” thing…I had a guy at Whole Foods I thought wasn’t going to leave me alone if I didn’t put down my favorite jarred salsa(one of the few things I splurge for at whole paycheck from time to time)in favor of the fresh.
    Well, maybe that’s not “the worst”, but annoying!

• February 21, 2012 8:42 pm

What’s wrong with jarred salsa? I’m such a huge fan of Whole Foods salsa!! It’s the best.

4. February 21, 2012 3:01 am

A sweet and honest post:)

5. Janelle permalink
    February 21, 2012 3:26 am

Visit the Midwest. You won’t find a perfectly cooked scallop, but we suffer such tragedies in the name of friendliness.

• February 21, 2012 8:43 pm

I’m sure you have scallops in the Midwest. And I know you have nice people! The Mall of America was the most friendliest place on earth!

• Janelle permalink
        February 22, 2012 6:54 pm

We do have scallops…they are just rarely “perfectly cooked.” 😦

6. February 21, 2012 3:44 am

the food looks great!

7. February 21, 2012 5:01 am

Oh boy I could have written this post myself! Customer service doesn’t exist any more yet I’m still forking out more and more tip as the days go on! We all have to do things we don’t want to in life…suck it up and do it well! I hate this whole half-assing thing people are doing lately…if you’re in a job, do it right/well or don’t do it at all!

• February 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Having to tip for bad service really annoys me. And yet I keep doing it? Not sure why…I guess it has to do with my inability to confront…

8. February 21, 2012 5:02 am

More evidence to support my argument that everyone should spend at least a year in customer service as at least a summer job. It’s eye-opening.

• February 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Eye-opening is right. I saw a whole different side of humanity at Talbots. And it wasn’t pretty.

9. February 21, 2012 6:09 am

Great post. I worked banquets at a fancy country club in college, and it taught me so much about how to treat people from both sides of the service fence. I also ended up with a lot of ridiculous stories, but that’s a whole other ball of wax…

• February 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Working at Talbots was like working at a country club. I can’t only imagine your stories!!

10. February 21, 2012 6:18 am

I totally get it.
    I used to work in a Children’s ER and while I loved it most days, there was the odd day where I thought “I fucking hate this hole”….but that didn’t come out of me. I greeted patients the same way I did when I wasn’t so pissed off with everything. It wasn’t their fault that they were sick and cutting into my lunch break…
    Sigh…I hate that place.
    But I used to be a patient too and I always conciously remember that one or several nurses who treated me like crap…it only made me feel 100x worse…so I keep that in check.
    Just because we have a bad day doesn’t mean we need to make everyone else have one too.
    PS. I want to make out with those scallops

• February 21, 2012 8:46 pm

I can’t even imagine how hard it is to work in an ER…makes Talbot’s look like Club Med I’m sure.

RE: the scallops…I don’t blame you.

11. February 21, 2012 6:25 am

THANK YOU! I worked in retail all through high school and college and was never rude or unfriendly towards a customer even if they were the biggest a-hole ever. I think life is what you make of it, so if you hate your job, do something about it…like change your attitude! And I’m talking to the rudest cab driver in the world (well in Austin) and the Chevron manager in Miami…gah!

• February 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Cab drivers just seem universally rude. Especially in Washington DC. And Malaysia. Not sure why but I’m so with you on that one!

12. February 21, 2012 6:44 am

I worked in retail (Casual Corner/Paul Harris) for a few years. People can be so mean and rude to the sales staff. Like you, I always tried to be helpful, pleasant and accomodating. They were just rude. If found some people to be the same way in my over 20 years as a travel agent…again customer service. Some people are just not nice.

• February 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Casual Corner! I remember that store. My sister loved it.

Luckily I don’t remember any rude employees… 🙂

13. February 21, 2012 7:21 am

I’ve worked both in retail and as a waitress, and both jobs were the most humbling experiences as a customer service professional I’ve ever had. I don’t know how many times I smiled through clenched teeth when I really wanted to tell people where to go, and the fact that customer service people today do not afford me the same hospitality, makes me really annoyed. It’s so bad that when I actually get good customer service anymore, I send a letter or an email to thank them.

• February 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Me too! I try to acknowledge the good more than the bad. It’s easier to write a letter when I’m all fired up though…I must admit.

14. February 21, 2012 7:29 am

People should be grateful that they have jobs. And also, a situation is what you make of it. I’m not in love with my job (internship, actually) either, but having a poor attitude about it won’t make it any better.

• February 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Exactly. Make lemonade out of lemons, right?

PS: I need to learn to take my own advice.

15. February 21, 2012 7:34 am

way to call em out, ameena. i worked at CVS for years and for a short time in retail, so I think its safe to say I’ve paid mine.

also, all this food looks wonderful. i want that dessert, especially.

• February 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Employees at CVS are actually really nice. It’s Rite-Aid that has some of the worse customer service EVER.

16. February 21, 2012 8:05 am

I totally agree. The only places in my city that have great customer service are the locally owned businesses.

• February 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Some of the small businesses here in LA aren’t much better – I have to say. Maybe it’s just a problem with big cities?

17. February 21, 2012 8:07 am

My mom is constantly screaming into the phone at customer service. I feel bad for them, but they really should not piss her off.

• February 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Of course she is! She’s Indian. My dad does the same thing – it’s genetically programmed in them I think.

18. February 21, 2012 8:25 am

Ah budget blinds… Still not sorted then?

• February 21, 2012 8:51 pm

No!! Stupid morons are just making things worse.

19. February 21, 2012 8:28 am

Hi.. I’m so glad you went to Fig & Olive and you didnt’ think the customer service there was $*#&. It’s so good, right? I really enjoyed it. I never worked in retail, I think my arms would get so tired taking of those piles of clothes. 🙂

• February 21, 2012 8:51 pm

One of my top ten restaurants…ever. Loved Fig & Olive!

20. February 21, 2012 8:54 am

I agree!
    And I was just at Fig & Olive too … AMAZING!!! I love small plate meals since I don’t feel guilty trying everything on the table. 🙂

• February 21, 2012 8:52 pm

The quantities were definitely small but so tasty that I didn’t need a lot! Loved everything.

21. February 21, 2012 9:26 am

I’d like to add the horrifically sloooow and utterly unconcerned staff at Babies R Us to this list! Really Ms. Perfectly Coiffed 20 Year Old behind the counter chewing your gum and twirling your hair at the not attractive manager, I have a screaming baby and I am one step away from joining his screaming if you don’t ring up my absurdly expensive designed to promote child genius’ness playmat now!

• February 21, 2012 8:53 pm

You crack me up.

Babies R Us is predominantly run by childless people. Which is why they have no idea why you need to get in and out ASAP.

Those genius playmats? Worth every penny because they make the screaming stop!

22. February 21, 2012 9:27 am

Agree! We had the worst service at a restaurant this past weekend (luckily the food was delicious). She brought us our drinks and that. was. it!! The host took our drink order, food order, brought the food, and then I flagged him down for check – I was in shock. I mean I’ve had bad service but this was non-existent! Forrest was so disturbed he left to her a dollar and wanted to leave her a hand-written “tip” on the merchant receipt copy, ha! I wouldn’t let him because I do want to go back (did I mention the food was delicious?) without worrying if my meal contains spit 🙂

• February 21, 2012 8:54 pm

I’ve wanted to leave so many hand-written “tips” but I just don’t have it in me. I fear they will hunt me down and make me regret it!

23. February 21, 2012 9:52 am

Here here. Customer service sucks lately. I’m astounded how people are even hired and maintained in some businesses. There are a few where customer service is actually above normal: Trader Joe’s and Starbucks are two that I have luck with.

• February 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Trader Joe’s is fantastic!! You are totally right on that one. But my husband is often displeased with Starbucks so I’m not so sure about that….

24. February 21, 2012 9:54 am

Ugggg! I did my time in retail too! It sure was awful. I actually feel sorry for them…even though it was once me, but yeah. No excuse to be a bitch to customers. It sure isn’t our fault that they hate their job.

• February 21, 2012 8:55 pm

We did out time and we’re done! It’s the natural progression of things, right?

25. February 21, 2012 10:09 am

Amen sister. Amen. That’s all I can say.

26. February 21, 2012 10:32 am

I work in healthcare and unfortunately know many professionals who are just plain rude to patients and staff….it’s just sick actually! Don’t get me wrong I’ve hated places and positions I have been in before but never have I made it the patients problem no matter how rude they can be too.

Katie 🙂

• February 21, 2012 8:56 pm

I think that for the most part nurses are really nice. It’s the doctors who can be a bit…abrupt. Maybe it’s lack of time? Who knows. Not a good feeling when you’re sick though, right?

27. February 21, 2012 10:46 am

Yes, somehow I can’t imagine you selling anything…You are too sweet and matter-of-fact to be persuasive like these guys generally are:-)
    Seems like good times again.

• February 21, 2012 8:57 pm

I’m the farthest from sweet that one can be…but you are so kind to think otherwise. 🙂

28. February 21, 2012 12:29 pm

You should come to Hyderabad. These days i am annoyed by the opposite here. When i go window shopping to a watch store, the guy at the door wishes me while i am going in AND going out. It’s almost as if he says “aren’t you buying anything?” Or maybe i am just too sensitive. And everytime i ask for plain water, the waiter saying “would you like to order any drinks with that food?” They are too attentive here. I have to wonder, which is worse?

• February 21, 2012 8:57 pm

I don’t think we’ve ever experienced anybody “too attentive” so I’m going to have to go out on a limb and say we have it worse. 🙂

29. February 21, 2012 2:28 pm

I always look for great customer service anywhere because it’s so rare to find nowadays. I was a waitress for one summer after high school, and that was plenty for me. It definitely made me appreciate the fact that I was going onto college so I wouldn’t have to succumb to customer service for the rest of my life. Not that it would be bad, but it’s definitely a thankless job sometimes.

• February 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Working retail is the best incentive to finish school!! It certainly helped my college career along…

30. February 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Oh well hello – WHO IS THAT ON YOUR LEFT – What a lovely picture of beautiful women. I’m in the wrong country – dam.

Back to customer service – I have a simple principle in life, do what you enjoy doing and you will do it for longer. Do what you hate doing, will keep you on the run, unhappy and forever fighting.

I had similar experiences in relation to customer service over the phone. Unfortunately most business find it easier and cheaper to move their call centres to South Asia and mainly India – from a business prospective its a brilliant move, but from a customer service prospective its a disaster. They simply don’t care if you have a problem with your broadband, mobile network or you billing was incorrect.

I now pay a little extra but go for those companies who have all their call centres here in the UK. Yes, I do have to pay a little extra but at least I don’t have to chase Alex in India or Janet from India or even Mike – who simply are fictitious characters living in India.

Do pass on my regards (and email) to that fine lady on your left.

• February 21, 2012 9:00 pm

That would be my very sweet and beautiful friend who is married with one baby and another on the way. I have a feeling you may just have made her day. 🙂

And if one more customer service rep from Dish TV’s call center in India calls me I might lose my mind….

• February 22, 2012 4:06 am

Her partner must be ONE LUCKY person on this planet. Do tell me she has a blog too?

• February 22, 2012 9:15 am

No she does not. I’ll make sure you are the first to know if she ever does!

• February 23, 2012 5:45 am

One last note – I can’t get my head around the fact she has a kid – she is too young to have kids. Or well to me she appears to be still very young (and my age).

31. February 21, 2012 2:35 pm

I could *never* work in customer service! Kudos to you! (In fact, I could not bear to work in most places, so I’m going to become a scientist. :D)

• February 21, 2012 9:02 pm

I feel like I should have been a scientist so I could steer clear of annoying people. Too bad I wasn’t very good in science though…

32. February 21, 2012 3:20 pm

I agree that Customer Service has certainly gone down over the years. I do feel fortunate to live where I do, because after the many places I’ve traveled I know that I can come home to Fargo and receive service with a smile. If there was such a thing as “too nice,” you would find it where I live. That being said, I still agree with you. It wouldn’t kill someone to smile more often when they’re getting paid to help people, or to actually be helpful.

• February 21, 2012 9:02 pm

I bet I would love everyone in Fargo. I must make a trip there…I need some nice people in my life….

33. February 21, 2012 4:28 pm

I wonder how much of it is a new generation that thinks that just because they finished college in a this great booming economy they should have a 100k job right of the bat, everything else is just a reason to complain, oh and they don’t want to work either. Why would they since as parents we babied them ?

• February 21, 2012 9:04 pm

You hit the nail on the head….parents have indulged their children so much that kids have this total sense of entitlement. It drives me nuts.

It’s no secret I’m doing the exact opposite with Maya.

34. February 21, 2012 7:52 pm

I usually have more problems with the other shoppers/customers (especially the ones who like to cut in the line and pretend that they don’t see me/other people that already there waiting for their turn).
    Or the ones who go to the Express lane in the supermarket, with a truck-load of groceries (it’s called an express lane for a reason!).
    Or car in front of you who asks for directions in the toll booth for like 5 minutes! Really? Go to Mapquest or put it in your GPS! Arggghhhh!). Sigh.. clearly I have little patience for some people..

• February 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Luckily we have no toll booths here because I fear my reaction to being stuck behind someone for 5 minutes.

I have negative patience. If there is such a thing.

35. February 21, 2012 8:10 pm

I would have thought you were a killer salesman…you are too charming not to be! But I do agree with you. I have found myself cringing at restaurants/stores in recent months. Come on, people! You can at least pretend to be good at your job! Thanks for sharing, lovely lady.

• February 21, 2012 9:05 pm

You are very kind to think I’m charming but I am the world’s worst salesman. No joke.

36. February 21, 2012 10:10 pm

totally agree!!!!!

37. February 21, 2012 10:25 pm

So true. It really bothers me when it happens at restaurants. As a matter of principle I try to give them a bad tip but I almost always feel terrible about it afterwards…

• February 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Ditto. I so badly want to give a bad tip! But I just don’t have it in me.

38. February 21, 2012 10:36 pm

well I worked in the customer services during my college days for an year and it sucked. Half the time I couldnt understand the scottish accents …lol a nightmare it was so I hear ya. Being polite and smily is another thing though and no harm in being nice to ur customers.

• February 22, 2012 2:38 pm

A nightmare is right. But we both got through it! And it taught me how to treat people so I guess it wasn’t a total loss, right?

• February 22, 2012 10:20 pm

well damn right it did 🙂 … now whenever I get a telesales call or something I can always relate to what they must be going through and just politely talk to them :D… you are right.

39. February 21, 2012 11:44 pm

I think the younger kids just think they deserve more than a minimum wage paying job. Uh, YOU DON’T!!! Like you said, we all pay our dues. Might as well put a smile on your face and be cheerful. No one likes giving their yogurt money to a grumpy employee.

• February 22, 2012 2:39 pm

Yogurt money…I love it. Is Pinkberry notorious for bad service? We aren’t a family of yogurt eaters so I wouldn’t have firsthand experience with this one!

40. February 22, 2012 4:34 am

As a Gap alum, I feel your retail pain. I took with me some nifty jean-folding skills though so Gap people? Thanks for teaching me cutting boards aren’t just for cooking. I value good customer service because most, as you said, is horrid. Amex? Rockstars. Crate and Barrel- so well trained. Makes a difference. We also see if with food companies. Some companies we write about and promote to thousands of people will not part with even $10 of merchandise for our clients. The result? No more writing and tweeting or buying from them.

• February 22, 2012 2:40 pm

We have not had the best experience with Amex, although Ali refuses to give up!

41. February 22, 2012 12:16 pm

I think you’re being nice to say they don’t like their jobs. I think it goes, sadly, even deeper. Today these people think they are entitled somehow. A whole generation that thinks they’re somehow, for some reason the center of the universe. Therefore, they don’t make very good “helpers.”

But, as you can see I’ve put way too much thought into this and I can relate to this post very much. And I could go on and on, but I won’t.

Your friends look like dolls, so glad you have great people in your life to love and support you.

Another beautiful picture of you.

Take great care,

Shauna

• February 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Thank you for your sweet compliments – my friends are the best. I’m all about quality instead of quantity. 🙂

And yes…many members of the younger generation (and now I’m about 100 years old) thinks that they are the center of the universe. This is a problem.

42. February 22, 2012 5:14 pm

my sister used to work in retail…but she wasnt so good at selling stuff…her honest opinion on how the ladies didnt FIT in the largest size of the clothes didnt help much.

i learned to stay away from retail jobs from her LOL

the food looks awesome!!!!!

• February 23, 2012 7:34 am

Your sister sounds like she has my salesman skills (or lack thereof). 🙂

43. JessicaE permalink
    February 22, 2012 6:28 pm

I tend to agree.

I was speaking to my midwife about how much of my patience has disappeared with the hormones showing up now that I am pregnant. (I work in retail) She asked how I dealt with it. My reply? I smile and fake it! When you work in customer service, part of your job is to put a smile on and not let your personal issues affect your job or the customer. If you hate your job or are feeling cranky, no one needs to be aware of it.

• February 23, 2012 7:35 am

You are a superstar Jessica…. I say this because working retail while pregnant has to be a lethal combination. But exactly…nobody else needs to be aware of one’s personal issues, while they are on the job!

44. February 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Agreed. I actually had a girl from DHL tell me “that’s kind of just too bad.”
    Excuse me? You can’t even pretend to care? Many customers told me I had no business working in customer service back in the day, but to be fair, they had no business being such jerks. I was always pleasant to customer. Always.

• February 23, 2012 7:36 am

I find that Fedex, the US Postal Service, and UPS have some of the worst customer service. I haven’t used DHL before but thank you for confirming that I’m not missing much…

45. February 23, 2012 4:36 am

food looks awesome and delicious..I had my share of bad customer service too…

46. February 23, 2012 6:54 am

Ameena, Customer service at your end sucks? No, you have not experience BAD customer service yet if you have not been to my country. The wait times at restaurants are so long you can expect to fall asleep before your food arrives. When you order a taxi & speak with a normal English accent, there’s a high probability you’ll be hung up on. Taking a product back to the store for a refund you may as well forget about. Need I say more? Looks like I am the best ambassador for my country. LOL! What nice picture of you and your girlfriends. Pretty ladies in a row!

• February 23, 2012 7:37 am

I have been to Malaysia and honestly, I had nothing except positive customer service experiences. With the exception of an incident with a taxi….

• February 23, 2012 7:40 am

Oh, that is good to know. You must have gone to all the 6 Stars places then:D

47. February 23, 2012 7:10 am

What an interesting an honest post. I hate it when I get bad service at a restaurant or even a store. We went for a Christmas brunch to a very upscale place and did not have reservations. (I know, what were we thinking). But the place was deserted and yet we got lip from the steward there about how we should have got a reservation. ahahhah. There was not a soul in there. Anyway, everything else was shut, so we just ignored him. But that, really bugged me.
    The food looks awesome. I love the dessert, your right sometimes the simplest things are the best.

• February 23, 2012 7:38 am

That happens around here too…a totally empty restaurant will demand to know why we don’t have a reservation. I always leave! Every time.

48. February 23, 2012 8:30 am

i hope all those rude CC guys are reading this, even im fed up of their i-dont-care attitude!

• February 24, 2012 9:37 am

You must have a whole lot of patience Deeps. 🙂 I was fed up a long time ago!

49. February 23, 2012 12:59 pm

This is exactly why I shop online. And I second guess all my purchases just so I don’t have to deal with any return bs from — customer service!

50. February 24, 2012 8:47 am

Or just absolutely anyone who works anywhere in France.

• February 24, 2012 9:38 am

Yes…Paris has the worst customer service. But at least you’re in Paris!

Or at least that’s how I justify dealing with many rude Parisian clerks…

51. February 25, 2012 12:32 pm

oh gawd. i used to work in the computer department at best buy when i was in college. i actually know a decent amount about them too contrary to every man’s opinion in my former podunk town. once i explained the difference between a CD-R and CD-RW to a man and he said ok, let me verify that is right and asked my male colleague. much to my surprise (and secret enjoyment) my coworker shamed the man and told him that i taught him everything he knows about computers. sweet revenge 🙂

52. February 25, 2012 10:27 pm

I’ve had my fair share of experiencing bad customer service. A few months ago, me and the husband went for a brunch in one of my favorite restaurant.

The waitress was so rude! Never happen before. That was the last time we dined over there. So sad, I miss its blueberry french toast 😦

• February 26, 2012 9:34 am

It’s so sad when you can’t return to your favorite restaurant because of a bad experience!

53. February 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Looks like a lovely birthday lunch 🙂 I have not been to the Fig & Olive, but have heard good things. And yes customer service seems to be a thing of the past in many establishments…I agree, nit liking their job is no excuse!

• February 26, 2012 9:20 pm

You must try Fig & Olive if you are in the neighborhood. Totally worth the drive. 🙂

54. March 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Maybe it’s cause where you live everyone wants to be something OTHER than a waiter/server/etc? Wannabe hollywood types? The service in Denver restaurants has been amazing! Love it! BTW I was obsessed with fig and olives when I went in Vegas..so tasty!

• March 14, 2012 7:02 am

Very good point. I think 99% of servers are beautiful, actor/model types. Never thought of that before!!

1. accommodation « Fancy That…Fancy This