i try. i swear i do.

February 17, 2012

Everyone tells me not to sweat the little things. And I try. You probably don’t believe me, but I do try.

And what I’m about to address? This will seem like a little thing. But when a very tired and hungry person returns from work, finds a disaster area in the kitchen, and then comes across this the instant she opens the refrigerator?

Some things don’t seem so small. I can assure you of that.

Anyway, as I glared at the banana my mind was churning with questions.

1. Would it have killed my husband to put a plate under the banana?
  2. Not only is the banana now a breeding ground for bacteria, but I have to add “Disinfect the refrigerator” to my mile-long list of things to do.
  3. Could he not just put it on the same plate as the lemon? Seriously?
  4. Why would he cut 75% of the peel off and leave one gross piece? It’s almost like he did it on purpose. Why doesn’t he respect my dislike for bananas?
  5. Did he give the rest of this banana to Maya? She already had a banana at breakfast. Which Ali watched her eat. Doesn’t he remember anything?
  6. This is what happens when I get home from work after my husband.
  7. @#$@%@!

I counted backwards from 10 and decided not to say anything. After all, I’m 36 now, right? I should be able to handle something as trivial as a wayward piece of fruit. But guess what I found 2 seconds later? An open, half-eaten yogurt container. And I think something was growing inside.

My God. I’m going to lose my mind.

1. February 17, 2012 12:13 am

Don’t worry I’ve been there. I hate when bananas are mutilated and left somewhere. Although in the grand scheme of things, it probably is trivial. Good on you for the backward counting!

• February 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Bananas are just so unattractive already…not sure why Ali has to make it look that much worse.

2. February 17, 2012 12:33 am

Oh my gosh, I have to say I am guilty of doing both of those things. Our bananas just hang from a basket in the kitchen and I will just cut half of it off and leave the other half still hanging there. When I go to use it I will just cut off a tiny slice that the air has hit and use the rest. (Does this even make sense) I use half a yogurt container too. So I guess I am on Ali’s side, this should make him happy.

• February 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Apparently I’m just overly anal about stupid things – Ali will be pleased to read the thoughts of a more reasonable person!

3. February 17, 2012 3:40 am

You might faint if you saw our refrigerator with little bowls of left over curries that are wrapped only with cling film, yours looks so neat in comparison. I am sure my husband will have a similar reaction if he opened our fridge, except he never does. I always bring him food to where he is sitting. (Do you want to try that?) Oh, and i almost always have a half eaten yogurt container in there.

• February 17, 2012 4:31 pm

My fridge is empty – that’s why it looks so neat! And bring Ali food? I just don’t think I have it in me. Unfortunately.

4. February 17, 2012 3:54 am

Hahah This might be a bad idea to admit to you given your current mood but I am guilty of leaving half a banana in the fridge! Even though I don’t keep it on a plate/bowl, I do place it on the egg shelf…if that makes any difference at all! I don’t blame you for being angry though- everything seems a thousand time worse when hunger is thrown into the equation :-)!

• February 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Exactly. Being hungry really reduces my already short patience level. It’s a problem since I’m always hungry!

5. February 17, 2012 4:03 am

Bahahaha …that half banana is a killer Ameena! EWWWW!!! I would have lost it, but I think that’s justified coz I’m over 40!! Happy belated birthday my friend. It’s always great to read your lines, always!! Big hugs!!

• February 17, 2012 4:32 pm

So are you saying that I’m only going to get worse as I age? 🙂

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

6. February 17, 2012 4:37 am

LOL my dad only eats half a banana too!

• February 17, 2012 4:33 pm

I will say that since bananas seem larger than ever I can kind of understand this logic…

7. February 17, 2012 4:53 am

Ew. The half-eaten yogurt left behind sounds terrible. It’s vacuum-packed for a reason!

8. February 17, 2012 4:57 am

Forget the plate- that banana needs to be contained in gladware. I hate those things and can almost close my eyes to smell the grossness that it pollutes the refrigerator with… UGH.

In this case? Totally not overreacting. Even though I may be bias bc I hate bananas…

• February 17, 2012 4:34 pm

I don’t hate bananas as much as you do but I don’t care for them much either. So I am with you on the need for containment!

9. February 17, 2012 6:30 am

Anddddd now you have a reason to leave work early.

• February 17, 2012 4:34 pm

I can think of a dozen reasons I’d rather leave work early. 🙂

10. February 17, 2012 6:43 am

I believe I’m more curious about what appears to be a jar of candy…M & M’s maybe? I’m not a banana fan anyway and this would gross me out too. Ugh…

• February 17, 2012 4:35 pm

That would be Maya’s jar of candy from Dylan’s Candy Bar in NY. It has a permanent place, front and center. 🙂

11. February 17, 2012 7:08 am

Hahaha, he even left the decorative sticker on there for you 🙂

Happy Friday!

• February 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Funny, I didn’t notice the sticker until just now!

12. February 17, 2012 7:09 am

You would freak if you saw my refrigerator, lol.

• February 17, 2012 4:36 pm

I wouldn’t judge though because it’s YOUR fridge. 🙂

13. February 17, 2012 7:55 am

See, I would be much more curious about the colored wooden beads on the top shelf. That is what they are, isn’t it?

• February 17, 2012 4:36 pm

That’s a jar of candy from Dylan’s Candy Bar. Maya is quite proud of it, hence it’s constant appearance in our fridge.

14. February 17, 2012 8:06 am

I’m afraid we might be alike on this issue!

Katie 🙂

• February 17, 2012 4:37 pm

Nothing to be afraid of…strength in numbers! 🙂

15. February 17, 2012 8:21 am

Oh my god. I am nearly speechless over the pristine state of your refrigerator. Seriously. If there were half a banana in the fridge (and I thought you were supposed to refrigerate bananas because it makes them go brown), you’d have to spend half an hour searching for it.

• February 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Pristine? Not quite. And I am on board with putting bananas in the fridge…but it has to be done tastefully.

Get it? 🙂

16. February 17, 2012 8:51 am

It is the little stuff that is always the most irritating in my opinion. Like in my house it drives me batty that I am apparently the only one who can wipe off the kitchen table. It can be sticky and crumb laden and would just sit there if I weren’t around. Besides, there is something about a half eaten banana that is just intrinsically gross.

• February 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Oh yes. I am the only one around here who can wipe the kitchen table. And counters too. Funny how that works?

17. February 17, 2012 10:13 am

OMG Ameena! I try I really do too! I bit my tounge and try so hard not to say anything but it’s hard and it sucks when they don’t even see what they are doing. How can they not see??? If you can’t tell like yours my hubby is sort of driving me up the wall lately with his habits. I’m about to put him on blast and post about it to make me feel better!

• February 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Well this post (and all your comments) have made me feel 100% better. So please, blast away!

18. February 17, 2012 11:11 am

Deep breaths.
    And GROSS! Why does anyone save that small part of a banana? Either eat the last bite or throw it out! Ye, it’s wasteful, but is anyone going to eat that last bit of browned banana now?
    I totally agree with you. NOT a small thing.

• February 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Deep breaths don’t really help. Nothing helps. Except not seeing a gross banana in the fridge!

19. February 17, 2012 11:13 am

I really think that bananas are meant to be eaten all at once or thrown out if not finished. The fact that they turn so disgusting looking once exposed to air must mean something, right? On a positive note, I am in awe at how clean your fridge is! I would hate for you to see mine!

• February 17, 2012 4:40 pm

You may a very valid point for the consumption of a banana all at one time. Well said.

20. February 17, 2012 12:56 pm

haha…I love this little online tussle between you two-not exactly tussle but then whatever it is, it is soooooooooooo cute…though I awwwwwwwwwww-ed for poor you throughout-men will be such men sometimes, I tell you:-)

• February 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Tussle – I love it. It’s more like me complaining and Ali silently seething. 🙂

21. February 17, 2012 1:44 pm

That’s so interesting that he just left the one peel? Some people and the way their brains work, we’ll just never know Ameena. Even if it happens to be your own husband! Hahahaha.

I was again laughing out loud at this post. I too usually only take half the banana too and leave the rest in the fruit bowl, it is sure to get eaten quickly with six kids around, and it does.

I will say that I totally relate to the kitchen being left less than tidy though. Why can’t my husband or any of my older kids clean it the way I do? Why????? It’s a continual prayer of mine, that’s going nowhere. Oh well.

Take care,

Shauna

• February 17, 2012 4:42 pm

I’ve prayed on this too. It’s gone nowhere. Nowhere but down anyway.

And with just one kid I see too many half bananas going in the trash. A reason to have more perhaps? 🙂

22. February 17, 2012 2:04 pm

I might be missing the point here but is that a jar of jelly beans in your fridge? 🙂

• February 17, 2012 4:43 pm

Not Jelly Beans but a jar of candy from Dylan’s Candy Bar. Maya will be pleased you noticed it!

23. Piya permalink
    February 17, 2012 2:05 pm

ok all i see are those yummy valentine m&ms. why haven’t you attacked those yet? LOL. seriously though, i can totally relate. my husband does that all the time. half a banana, tomato, apple, orange!!!!!!! put it in a container! i have a cabinet full of plastic bowls and cups. soooo annoying.

• February 17, 2012 4:44 pm

I am not a fan of M & M’s actually. I know..crazy.

Half a tomato? He actually eats tomatoes? Impressive.

24. February 17, 2012 2:07 pm

I understand your pain. About an hour ago my boss told me not to get so worked up about the small things, but why can’t anyone understand that the small things are the most annoying? They’re small, and therefore, easily avoidable. Just take an extra 3 seconds and do things properly.

• February 17, 2012 4:45 pm

The small things ARE the most annoying. So glad that you understand me! It would have taken 3 seconds to put the banana on a plate. 3!!

25. February 17, 2012 3:30 pm

I know it’s really wasteful but I hate all left over food. The crust and 1 slice of bread lingers in the bread bin for days. If no ones going to eat it bin it!! As for bits in the fridge, it’s cling film or Tupperware and definitely no opened tins. Am I a fridge nazi? GG

• February 18, 2012 9:36 pm

I am so with you on being a fridge nazi. There are rules for a reason!!

26. February 17, 2012 4:35 pm

What a clean refrigerator! 🙂
    Looks like Ali is trying your patience again. Some people just never learned.. 😉
    Have a great weekend!

• February 18, 2012 9:36 pm

How funny people think my fridge is clean…it’s mostly just empty. 🙂

Hope you are having a great weekend so far!

27. February 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Aaah.. I don’t have an ounce of patience left in me. Both Ali + Tarun has to be marooned to an island. They might not learn a single lesson, but I guarantee us peace at least for a few days 😉

• February 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Can you imagine the peace and quiet? And cleanliness? I will be dreaming about it tonight. 🙂

28. February 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Eh..half eaten banana? I agree it should be eaten all at once but I guess it doesn’t bother me as much as the half eaten yogurt..

• February 18, 2012 9:37 pm

At least the yogurt was contained? I’d have to say the banana bothered me more!

29. February 17, 2012 6:11 pm

The smell alone of that banana would push me over the edge. (though I do like bananas)

Here is how crazy I am… when I was in a “one banana a day” phase I would freeze the banana peels in a designated bag in the freezer. It was that or take the trash out every day immediately after banana consumption. We all have our thing. *&%^%

🙂

• February 18, 2012 9:38 pm

So you can eat them but you can’t smell them? I think I’m the other way around – although I’d prefer not to smell them either. 🙂

30. February 17, 2012 6:18 pm

That picture makes me want to go and clean my fridge right now!

• February 18, 2012 9:38 pm

It’s not that clean. I swear! It’s just empty.

31. February 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Um.. I can totally see my sister doing that.. or me. Except that I would at least leave it looking nice while my sister would pull an Ali and leave it looking all nasty.

32. February 17, 2012 9:58 pm

I’m mostly perplexed about the lone peel still attached.

33. Jeena permalink
    February 17, 2012 10:23 pm

I frequently marvel that humans are able to live with each other at ALL.

• February 18, 2012 9:39 pm

I think we are meant to live alone. But somehow I missed that memo. Twice.

34. February 18, 2012 3:21 am

Ugh! There’s just nothing worse than a browning banana. Yucky!

• February 18, 2012 9:40 pm

I agree!! Except maybe a gross banana next to a science experiment disguised as a yogurt container.

35. February 18, 2012 9:16 am

LOL, I use half a banana in my smoothies, but I always freeze the other half.

36. February 18, 2012 9:36 am

Hmmm, I would like to sympathize, except that I think that I have the same effect on Michael. Although I would NOT put a half-eaten banana in the fridge!

• February 18, 2012 9:41 pm

There are limits, right? Ali doesn’t seem to get that!!

37. February 18, 2012 9:50 am

my favorite is the empty container, bag, whatever being left behind. Dude… you ate/used it all… THROW THE PACKAGING AWAY.

• February 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Oh yes…we have the same problem around here. More specifically in the cereal cupboard!

38. February 18, 2012 2:43 pm

i hate the smell of bananas. i hope it didn’t stink up your fridge! i also love the candy jar on the top shelf haha. bless your heart ::sending vibes of patience::

• February 18, 2012 9:41 pm

I need all the patience you have to spare so please, send away!

39. February 18, 2012 2:51 pm

It is a VERY brave woman who takes a picture of the inside of her refrigerator and posts it for everyone to see!…;)

• February 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Luckily my fridge is mostly empty so I have nothing to hide! 🙂

40. February 18, 2012 5:06 pm

–You are not losing your mind.

I would despise a half eaten banana in my fridge.

Oh, that yucky banana stink.

NO!!! No, Waaaay.

41. February 18, 2012 8:57 pm

oh well I am with you on this one. thats just wrong :O…

• February 18, 2012 9:43 pm

A guy who agrees! I will be sure to point your comment out to Ali! 🙂

42. February 18, 2012 10:45 pm

whenever i have leftover banana, i slice it up and freeze it. i can’t leave a banana in the fridge like that.. sorry. i hear ya. my husband just leaves out his plate when he’s done.. he doesn’t even put it in the sink. girl, you have patience.

• February 20, 2012 7:30 am

There is no “plate in the sink” around here either. Just on the counter. Such a mystery why…

43. Janelle permalink
    February 19, 2012 6:42 am

You would die at the sight of my fridge. Die.

44. February 19, 2012 7:04 am

A half-eaten yogurt container? There isn’t that much yogurt in a single container. Why leave half?! Props to you for not losing your cool. 😉

• February 20, 2012 7:31 am

Exactly…it’s like 2 bites in the entire container? So confused why he couldn’t get through the whole thing?

45. February 19, 2012 8:35 am

I have been there, sometime I literary feel like I should be walking with a disinfectant spray in one hand…
    But honestly I have stopped saying now, Honey I don’t wanna waste my energy on words and work both… LOL

• February 20, 2012 7:32 am

This Saturday morning I walked around with the vacuum in one hand and a bottle of Method in the other. Is that crazy?

46. February 19, 2012 8:40 am

Devil’s advocate (or maybe Ali’s advocate) it was in the fridge, right? Could’ve been on the counter, ok not sure where I’m going. Did he not remember Chiquita Banana’s song “you must never put bananas in the refrigerator no, no, no, no, la, la, la.”. On another note (b/c I was singing along to my banana song) if life is about the little things then why can’t we sweat the small stuff? It’s fun sometimes.

• February 20, 2012 7:33 am

Wait…Chiquita Banana’s had a song? I’m sort of puzzled by that?

47. February 19, 2012 6:56 pm

I’m more mystified by the need to refrigerate a goldfish bowl of M&Ms, but I’m going to assume that it has to do with the fact that cold chocolate is better than warm chocolate. Yes? Yes.

See also: I think I need to source a fishbowl for my chocolate stash.

Thank God Marcus doesn’t eat yogurt or else I would likely lose my mind.

• February 20, 2012 7:33 am

Maya is obsessive about refrigerating her candy. Food safety is important to her??

48. February 19, 2012 7:33 pm

At least he put it in the fridge. Mine would have left it on the countertop for the fruit flies to devour.

• February 20, 2012 7:33 am

Good point. I suppose then we’ve made some progress and I should appreciate it?

49. February 19, 2012 9:08 pm

lol, half-eaten banana’s gross me out too. btw im in awe of ur pristine fridge! how do u keep it this clean?? mine is always overflowing with unwanted stuff 😀

• February 20, 2012 7:34 am

It’s very simple…I don’t cook very often. 🙂

50. February 19, 2012 11:11 pm

You mean I shouldn’t leave my half eaten banana just hanging out in the fridge? The exposure makes it look more lusty—-more likely to be picked up by some lovely peanut butter, or a handful of strawberries or jam or BACTERIA? I think I am in trouble….

Am seriously considering changing my ways.

51. Ali permalink
    February 20, 2012 8:23 am

I don’t want to throw my kid under the bus here but I have no recollection of putting this in the fridge. Maybe she saw the banana outside, knowing that wasn’t the right place and tried to put it in the right place, not being able to reach the plates herself.

52. February 20, 2012 9:08 am

I am really nervous about getting home after Vishnu too. My heart literally starts to beat faster when I think about it.

53. February 20, 2012 12:36 pm

You would run away screaming if you saw our fridge . . . 🙂

BTW, you’ve been tagged!

54. February 20, 2012 3:55 pm

I will never understand your disdain for bananas, but I completely agree with you on this. During the summer someone at my uncle’s house used to break bananas in half (manually, no less) and leave the mushy other half in the outdoor, unrefrigerated fruit bowl.

Yeah.

55. February 20, 2012 8:36 pm

I spy a Dylan’s jar of jelly beans! Happy belated birthday! I have been reading your posts while they are hot off the presses but I just have not had a chance to stay upto speed with my comments.
    You don’t like bananas? I could eat them all day!

56. February 20, 2012 10:20 pm

I should take a photo of my sub zero there is no room for anything (i swear I have a smaller model). Anyway? Doesn’t he know not to put bananas in the fridge in the first place, eat, toss or make some banana bread, since it is Ali though options are eat or toss

57. February 20, 2012 10:58 pm

I read this post aloud to my sister and her friend, and you have more fans. I don’t think I would ever put a partially eaten banana (or any food) in the fridge without a plate or some form of proper wrapping.

• February 21, 2012 9:24 am

Jenna – you are like my own personal marketing department. Thank you. 🙂

58. February 21, 2012 7:52 pm

It is that last straw that breaks the camels back! ha ha- you really know how to make things humorous even when they are irritating you 🙂

59. February 22, 2012 12:45 am

I can feel your pain. In case it makes you feel any better, my husband doesn’t even believe in putting things back in the fridge! When I used to work the 5am shift at my old news channel, I’d go to sleep early and keep dinner out for my husband, since he eats late. I woke up at 4am to find a funny smell coming from the kitchen- mutton curry from dinner left open on the counter. Made me want to bang my head against the wall!!

• February 22, 2012 9:14 am

Smelling old mutton curry at 4 am would have been a serious test of my marriage. You are a strong lady!

60. Charlotte aka Scaredmom permalink
    February 23, 2012 1:57 am

And then people ask me why I do not like to enter my fridge without gloves.

61. February 26, 2012 4:44 pm

That would have driven me over the edge too…Yuck!

62. March 7, 2012 12:27 pm

OMG do not EVER look in my fridge. Never ever. Honestly, his half a banana is prize-winning gorgeous compared to the one I have that has the other half with the peel dangling that is pitch black. and let’s not talk about MY half eaten yogurts, puddings and candy bars that I take one bite of and then put back for 3 months, only to take another bite. Actually I often do cut them up first but then I take one piece and leave the other 7 pieces. Or the part of the cheese product wedge that I cut and consumed half. Girl, you’d have nightmares for months.

No, years.

PS when I looked at the photo, I thought that your gripe was going to be about the pink balls in the bowl (what are they?) as the banana looks so normal to me lol.

• March 7, 2012 9:36 pm

Do you get food poisoning? Because I sort of scared for you.

More importantly, what does Derek think about your habits? Does it drive him nuts?

The pink stuff is candy from Dylan’s Candy Bar. Maya loves to look at it but barely eats it. Go figure.

• March 12, 2012 7:41 pm

Funny you should mention it but the only time I got food poisoning was in Patagonia when I was not in charge of all of my eats. You see- I have such a great immune system from all of my half-eaten bananas and yogurts and chocolate. Then I go away and I end up in bed for 4 days. Go figure.

No, Derek doesn’t seem bothered. I guess that when you and I are in an old-folks’ home in many decades, that we won’t be roomies?j

PS I didn’t get any of your replies to me in my email- I came back to check to see if you had replied otherwise I wouldn’t have known 🙂

• March 13, 2012 6:30 am

Getting food poisoning on a trip is the worst. I know because it’s happened to me!! It was horrible. And we can definitely live together in an old-folks home because someone will be cooking (and handling) our Jello for us. 🙂

Sorry about the replies…Wordpress doesn’t automatically email you directly with my replies unless you select the box “Notify me of follow-up comments via email.”