is the nfl in the cloud?

February 7, 2012

One of the things I love about Ali (I bet you never thought I’d write that, did you?) is that he isn’t into sports.

This means that except for the occasional tennis game or ESPN ping-pong tournament (yes really) I am not often subject to the obnoxious noise of screaming fans and fumbling commentators. Until this past Sunday, that is.

Yes friends, this past Super Bowl Sunday, my husband decided to become a sports fan. He turned on his beloved subwoofer, grabbed every remote he could find, and settled himself in the middle of the couch from approximately 1pm to 7:30 pm. PST.

I was beside myself with confusion.

A number of possibilities flooded my mind: Was Ali trying to figure out how to market cloud computing to the NFL? Was he trying to learn more about football to impress a girl?Β Or was it possible that after 35 years my husband had suddenly become a football fan overnight?

I decided to test the waters during half-time.

Me: “Madonna must be freezing. Is this game at an indoor or outdoor arena?”

Ali: “Um. I think it’s indoor?”

My living room is a complete mess in the photo. Forgive me.

Ali’s uncertainty only reinforced my hypothesis that while he was physically in front of the TV, he wasn’t watching the game. So why on earth was he wasting hours of his life on the sofa, staring blankly at the TV, with Maya’s feet on his head?

It’s been 36 hours and I’ve still got nothing.

1. February 7, 2012 12:08 am

I thought the “super bowl” was some sort of meal deal from panda express

• February 7, 2012 7:14 pm

Don’t like Panda Express. Don’t like the Super Bowl!

2. February 7, 2012 12:56 am

Too funny! He was trying to appear busy :). Love the feet at the head!

Katie : )

• February 7, 2012 7:14 pm

So you think it was all just for appearances sake? So bizarre…

• Marcee permalink
      February 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Guys do that sort of thing. Mindless energy at work?

3. February 7, 2012 1:10 am

Maya is so cute!!

4. February 7, 2012 1:24 am

I found out about super bowl from fellow food bloggers posts! Some sort of a phenomenon it seems to be. It gave me the impression that most people were all ‘yay’ about it for all the good food they could dig into

• February 7, 2012 7:15 pm

I think half of the excitement is being able to cook and eat Super Bowl food. Since we know I can’t cook this didn’t happen in my house…

5. February 7, 2012 1:35 am

The Super Bowl to me is some event that inspires bloggers to make a delicious (healthy or not) spread of snacks! Football to me is when the ball is kicked around with a foot…yes that’s the Londoner in me talking!

Part of me finds it hot when guys are into sports yet the other half of me is silently hoping that my future husband is not a sports guy. If he is, there goes any quality time over the weekend and I’m in for mood swings being dictated by the results of sporting matches!

• February 7, 2012 7:16 pm

I agree…nothing worse than wasting away a weekend watching guys kick a ball around on TV. Such a waste!

6. February 7, 2012 1:45 am

I approve of Ali’s disinterest in sports. Fancy that, I agree with him on something! (jokes, jokes) Anyway…I love how Maya is taking control of the situation. I think she was as confused as you were, so she wanted to see if he’d notice any shenanigans.

P.S. If you think your living room is a mess, I’m never posting a picture of mine. πŸ˜›

• February 7, 2012 7:17 pm

I agree that Maya wanted to see how long she could keep her feet on his head! I stood behind them for a while just waiting for him to explode. It took a very long time!

7. February 7, 2012 5:42 am

The picture is the cutest!
    I have no interest in football but I felt mildly compelled to watch it since the Giants were playing and I knew that that was what everyone would be talking about. That’s my excuse. What’s Ali’s?

• February 7, 2012 7:17 pm

Your excuse seems legitimate. πŸ™‚ Ali’s is still a mystery!

8. February 7, 2012 5:42 am

Men truly are inscrutable creatures…

9. Sara permalink
    February 7, 2012 6:14 am

First of all, I have been reading your blog and giggling for the past few weeks. It’s so refreshing to read something my very matter-of-fact mother could have written when i was a child…I detest all the squealing and ooohing related to children.

Second. I have no idea why your husband is suddenly pretending to watch the Superbowl, but I sometimes pretend to watch sports so I can talk to colleagues “knowingly”.

• February 7, 2012 7:18 pm

I have so little interest in sports that I can’t even pretend to be interested! And I’m usually pretty good about that.

PS: thank you for the compliment. And for reading!

10. February 7, 2012 6:32 am

I’m going to guess commercials. That’s pretty much the only reason I watch.

• February 7, 2012 7:18 pm

Since he is into marketing this seems legitimate. But he used to just forward through the actual game to watch the commercials…this year not so much!

11. February 7, 2012 6:34 am

Count your blessings, Ameena! At least Ali wasn’t quizzing you on all of the players, plays, etc. Yep, that was me at 10 pm on Sunday night…so I could be “prepared” for water cooler conversation.

12. February 7, 2012 6:40 am

Hah! That photo is adorable. That is kind of baffling that he’d decide to supposedly watch the gameβ€”maybe he wants to be be able to tell his work buddies he watched or something? I think men care what others think more than they’d like us to know. It’s possible he was just watching for the commercials…

• February 7, 2012 7:21 pm

I have never known Ali to really care what other people think about him. Although I do think he purchased his car solely so others would think more highly of him.

And if he reads that I wrote this he’ll be super annoyed… πŸ™‚

13. February 7, 2012 7:05 am

I would be equally as shocked if my husband *wasn’t* watching the Super Bowl. But I watched right along side of him, so it’s ok with me. But that is definitely a strange turn of events…

14. February 7, 2012 7:29 am

They (“they” meaning men) often think that by just having it as background, they can absorb the knowledge/experience. It’s true.

• February 7, 2012 7:22 pm

“They” never cease to amaze me with their very twisted logic!

15. February 7, 2012 7:32 am

Haha! This is too funny (and familiar)! Forrest hasn’t reallllly cared about an NFL game all season until Sunday night and then he was in the zone…..wings, fries, a few beers, and yelling at the television. Makes no sense but when do they ever?! πŸ™‚

• February 7, 2012 7:23 pm

At least we were spared the wings, fries, and beers. Since I can’t cook and Ali won’t shop. πŸ™‚

16. February 7, 2012 7:56 am

Ha! Btw, I know you recently got FB after much resistance, the same as me. But, now we both have it! Come to my FB page, and I’ll like yours as well!

17. February 7, 2012 8:29 am

so funny! super bowl is alright, i was too busy watching sex and the city, i guess that’s a bigger waste of time πŸ™‚
    maya is so cute, she’s always in PJs. πŸ™‚

• February 7, 2012 7:26 pm

SATC is a far better use of time! And yes, Maya lives in her pajamas. So do I. πŸ™‚

18. February 7, 2012 8:41 am

I’m not sure what Ali does for a living, but it seems like he’s in business and networks a lot. I have a theory that a lot of people in those types of professions only watch stuff like the Superbowl so they won’t be the only one who doesn’t know what happened around the proverbial water cooler. Just a theory though!

Happy Tuesday Ameena!

• February 7, 2012 7:26 pm

Love your theory. I’m going to have to ask Ali what he shared around the “water cooler.”

19. February 7, 2012 8:52 am

I am into my sports big time – I don’t mean watching it on TV – I actually mean playing the actual sport. That said, I can’t handle the stress of having to watch the game unless its actually world cup football or cricket. I prefer to watch the highlights of the game(s).

If I put myself in Ali’s shoes for one moment, I can only think of two possibilities from the billions that are out there, the first – he fancies one of the player(s) in TV, or secondly – that Girl actually is in the game somewhere (either as a supporter or presenter or even one of those cheer-leaders).

• February 7, 2012 7:27 pm

I support your second theory…I think it has to do with a girl. πŸ™‚ Obviously not me!

20. February 7, 2012 9:08 am

I love it when my husband watches sports. It is like a built-in baby sitter. Occupies him completely so I can do what I want.

• February 7, 2012 7:28 pm

“Built-in baby sitter” is such a great way to put it! It’s how I feel about Maya and “Peppa Pig.”

21. February 7, 2012 9:23 am

LOL tennis!?

• February 7, 2012 7:28 pm

I thought that the ping-pong was even stranger…

22. February 7, 2012 9:27 am

ha ha- I loved the ‘feet on the head’ pic- it would be interesting to find out why he chose to ‘get into’ the game. As for my hubby- he still says “that is not football”- because to him REAL football is what they call soccer here πŸ™‚

• February 7, 2012 7:29 pm

Your husband makes sense…football here isn’t really football for most of the world!

23. February 7, 2012 9:45 am

I have to admit, I’ve been more into sporting events than some of my past boyfriends. ESPECIALLY the Superbowl. But let’s be honest. Football games = wings+beer. Baseball games = hot dogs+beer. Basketball games = pizza+beer. Are you noticing a trend?

• February 7, 2012 7:29 pm

Since I have very little cooking ability and Ali has very little initiative, we had no Super Bowl foods on Sunday!

PS: Love the honesty!

24. February 7, 2012 9:45 am

My husband dove in front of the TV when the Patriots missed a fumble. But football isn’t as bad as baseball. He spends hours napping in front of the game.

25. February 7, 2012 9:48 am

Momentary personality disorder? Hmmmm….definitely a possibility!!! I watched the game at a friends. There is a guy there who yells everything and doesn’t talk so anyone else who has a conversation with him has to yell too. LOUD! Shoulda stayed home so I could actually watch the commercials.

• February 7, 2012 7:30 pm

My ears can’t handle loud noises. No really. I’m not being dramatic! I’ve inherited this from my father…

26. February 7, 2012 10:11 am

Ali wasn’t very far off with his indecisiveness regarding whether the game was indoors or out. The Colts’ stadium roof is retractable. For this game it was closed, so yes, it was indoors, but it could have been otherwise. I’ll bet that’s WAY more information than you ever wanted, huh.

The feet on Ali’s back…priceless. It could be Dudette and Hubby (except Hubby would be totally engrossed in the game and know every player on both sides).

My guess is that he was there for the commercials; not so much watching them as calculating their value for cost. Just my guess.

• February 7, 2012 7:31 pm

You know a whole lot about the stadium roof – I am so impressed!

And I actually think are you on to something with your theory here…calculating the value/cost of the commercials seems to be a very likely explanation…

27. February 7, 2012 10:18 am

I don’t mind sports it’s the noise that puts me off. I find it irritating and annoying. At some point it feels like my heads about to explode.

Perhaps Ali is just doing what everyone else was meant to be doing. Whether he wanted to or not lol

• February 7, 2012 7:32 pm

Exactly! The noise just drives me bananas. I can’t stand it!

28. February 7, 2012 10:33 am

–Superb Photo!!!!

So, you do love that dude, huh? haaaa

29. February 7, 2012 11:42 am

I need to find a man that’s not interested in sports. The best thing about being single is that I don’t have to sit through a single hockey game. Everytime there’s a game on and I don’t know about it until someone posts something on Facebook, I feel better and better about my new single lifestyle.

• February 7, 2012 7:33 pm

I envy your single lifestyle!! And I assure you that before you know it, you too will be posting something about an annoyingly loud game on Facebook.

30. February 7, 2012 12:17 pm

i like how you tested your theory on the sly. I loved the halftime show!!

• February 7, 2012 7:34 pm

Madonna is always a sure bet. She was awesome! (If a bit rocky on a few occasions).

31. February 7, 2012 12:48 pm

that picture of him with Maya’s feet on his head is hilarious! I suppose he figured if we wanted to be in the water cooler conversation on Monday, he’d better watch the game. Or at the very least the commercials. :)~

• February 7, 2012 7:34 pm

Maya would never try to pull that with me!! She’s not crazy. πŸ™‚

32. February 7, 2012 1:41 pm

He was probably on his laptop the whole time. Or maybe he just wanted to have input when all his coworkers talked about it the next day. Love the pic.

• February 7, 2012 7:35 pm

I checked around but his laptop was nowhere to be found. For 6.5 hours!

33. February 7, 2012 1:49 pm

Were there chores that needed to be done that were being avoided?

• February 7, 2012 7:35 pm

Well yes…but Ali usually just pretends not to know the chores need to get done. I don’t think football has much to do with that. πŸ™‚

34. February 7, 2012 3:58 pm

What’s funny is that I am more into sports than my fiance! I think I bore him sometimes…

35. February 7, 2012 6:40 pm

Weird. But I know a lot of men who are totally not into sports who still watch the Superbowl. Baffling.

• February 7, 2012 7:37 pm

This makes sense I guess but Ali has never watched a football game. In the 15+ years I’ve known him!

36. February 7, 2012 6:46 pm

Hahaha.. maybe Ali is looking for some inspirations? I love that picture of Ali & Maya(‘s feet). Cute.
    My husband usually will have a little tantrum if his baseball team not doing good (which is almost all the time. I told him next time to pick a better team!), but I have to admit I kind like sport noise in the house because that mean they leave me alone.

Your living room is not a mess. Wait until you see mine!.. πŸ™‚

• February 7, 2012 7:37 pm

My living room was a total mess. Thank God everything is back in order now!

37. February 7, 2012 7:12 pm

He is obviously a great foot rest for Maya – why should he move?!
    I must admit that I do like a good game and it was very entertaining for everyone else when I was yelling at the TV.
    We, however, order out for food, like intelligent/lazy people!

• February 7, 2012 7:38 pm

Ali had no idea, for a very long time, that Maya’s feet were even close to him. That’s how out of it he was!

38. Erika permalink
    February 7, 2012 7:42 pm

1. He is really watching the commercials like half the other people in this country.
    2. Ameena you should be out spending HIS hard earn money shopping. (while saving yours of course because I am sure you work harder then he does!)
    3. Did your daughter learn to chill like that from her mother?

• February 8, 2012 7:46 pm

1. I detest commercials. Fast forward through them at every opportunity!

2. Of course I work harder! πŸ™‚

3. I have zero ability to chill. I’m either moving at 100 mph or I’m asleep. Maya definitely takes after her father when it comes to chilling.

39. February 7, 2012 8:12 pm

Waahahahahaha!!!! I love your daugher!! Maya’s feet on Ali’s back and he just lets them rest like that! Actually I used to do it to my daddy, too. I don’t think I can do it now, hee hee.

• February 8, 2012 7:46 pm

I never did that to my dad. He would have freaked out!

40. February 7, 2012 9:35 pm

Maybe he doesn’t want to feel left off when his colleagues are talking about Super Bowl the next day at work? I’m not football fan at all and I could care less about the commercials as well…surprising he didn’t mind Maya’s feet on top of his head πŸ˜›

• February 8, 2012 7:48 pm

I’m so glad you don’t like the commercials or the game either! It’s not just me. πŸ™‚

41. February 8, 2012 12:55 am

Hmmm, yes a mystery for sure. But, in the end you got a great picture of your daughter and her dad. I say that’s what counts here. You’re killing me again by the way, I laugh out loud at your posts. Always so excited when it’s a new post. Take care,

Shauna

• February 8, 2012 7:49 pm

Shauna…you are the best. Thank you for the compliment and for reading. You have no idea how much I appreciate it!

42. February 8, 2012 4:40 am

Two theories, either it was because the Giants were playing and even a non sports fan can appreciate a team who refuses to fold and fights to the finish/plus you guys are fond of NY. Or, since he is male perhaps he was hoping for a Giselle sighting? On another note your comments on my blog show up then disappear, so strange.

• February 8, 2012 7:51 pm

Are you kidding? I was hoping for a Giselle sighting. She is stunning. The only thing is that she really needs to keep her mouth shut.

43. February 8, 2012 5:26 am

im so curious now, can someone start liking sports all of a sudden? i cant stand sports too & dont think anything in the world could make me wanna sit through a match! that pic is damn cute πŸ™‚

• February 8, 2012 7:51 pm

Ditto. Nothing can make me suddenly like sports! Nothing.

44. February 8, 2012 9:36 am

Be thankful your man isn’t into sports. (Hopefully the new interest is a phase, for your sake.) Andy didn’t get into the Super Bowl this year, thankfully but is obsessed with soccer. It’s all he talks about.

Maya’s feet? I am dying laughing.

• February 8, 2012 7:52 pm

I am thankful Ali isn’t in to sports…hopefully this was a “one-of.”

45. February 8, 2012 12:01 pm

Hahahah.. the picture! I love it πŸ™‚ I guess this will remain a mystery!

46. February 8, 2012 4:19 pm

Hahaha! πŸ˜€ I love how Maya puts her feet on Ali’s head. πŸ™‚

47. February 8, 2012 6:40 pm

Guys… can’t live with them. Can’t live without them πŸ™‚

Your living room is messy?!? Please visit my home for comparison. I am not kidding.

48. February 8, 2012 7:44 pm

I always forget that Marcus cares about football until suddenly it’s football season and there he goes, wanting to watch the game.

And it’s like…where is this coming from?

We both already know that I completely opted-out of the Superbowl this year and it was absolutely cathartic. Especially since you can watch all of the commercials after the fact. It’s better this way for all of us.

• February 8, 2012 7:54 pm

We both opted-out Kat…and it feels great, doesn’t it?

49. February 8, 2012 10:19 pm

Love it. We are not SuperBowl or sports fans at all. Should I actually admit I’m from New York and didn’t even know who was playing? I’ve been meaning to check out Madonna on YouTube, but I still haven’t got around to it yet…:)

50. February 8, 2012 10:31 pm

I know what u are saying, my husband get these sudden sport love things too…
    All in all I can never ever sit in front of the dumb box for hours… I am not a sport fan, not a TV fan…
    LOL

51. February 9, 2012 6:16 am

I can’t believe you went 15 years without your husband watching super bowl. I have a non sport watcher but he will watch SB and the world series. I think it is just so he can talk and even bet other people, maybe it is a man right of passage. Just like for me I can window shop or now window surf without buying anything. It is a total waste of time but I need to know what is in style to have a proper conversation with my ladies (if we ever talk about fashion).

52. February 9, 2012 10:58 am

You should thank your stars Ali gets possessed like this only once in a while. Mine’s a lost cause and I literally have to beg him everyday to watch something else besides sports or the stupid storage wars show he loves. If it wasn’t for Xfinity playing their shows online too, I’d demand a separate TV.

Btw, that photo of Ali with Maya’s legs on his head is priceless. Love it! Maybe she’s trying to kick some sense into his head πŸ˜‰

53. February 9, 2012 11:50 am

I am not into sports either and glad that my better half does not get enough time with the tv to materialize his love for it…although some crappy soaps quite do the same…

I hope the mystery is solved soon and we are duly informed-things are getting more and more unusual with Ali, eh?:-)

54. February 9, 2012 6:32 pm

My husband was glued to the tv that night, I of course watched Madonna perform. She is brilliant. Love her.
    Your lucky Ali is not into sports and just watched this one big game. Love the photograph. It’s priceless.

55. February 10, 2012 6:32 am

I don’t know either. But my stepfather watches ping pong. And golf.

I’m so confused.

56. February 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Commercials? I don’t know. And Maya’s so cute!