imagine this

May 2, 2011
I once read that a germaphobe is any person who is obsessed with cleanliness and defeating bacteria; an individual who will turn on faucets with their elbows and open doors with their sleeves; a person who has both hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes with them at all times.

This person is me.

But I don’t consider myself obsessed…I consider myself prepared. Why? Well…

Imagine the grossest person you can. Now imagine that gross person cutting in front of you while you wait in line at the less-than-clean Target restroom with a squirming child who keeps saying, “But Mama, I really, really, really have to go potty.”  And now imagine this gross (and inconsiderate) person avoiding eye contact as she leaves the restroom WITHOUT WASHING HER HANDS.

Am I the only one who sees why wearing long-sleeves at all times is justified? I hope not. I really hope not.

In any case, after 10 years of ignoring my pleas to stop touching elevator buttons and doorknobs, my husband has finally jumped on the germaphobic bandwagon. Minutes after we checked into our hotel in Paris he gave me the best gift ever…it was like Christmas and my birthday all wrapped up in one…

So you think we’re crazy for wrapping the hotel remote in the plastic bag my room slippers came in? Really?

Well imagine the grossest person you can…now imagine their dirty fingers all over the remote…and multiply that by the 500 other hotel guests who touched that same remote…

Enough said.
  1. May 2, 2011 2:50 am

I’ve never thought to wrap a remote that way… but it makes perfect sense!

p.s. you’re not along in your germaphobe ways 😉

2. May 2, 2011 2:58 am

Hahaha, that is too funny! Good idea 😉 😉

3. May 2, 2011 3:12 am

So smart 🙂

I have never considered myself a germaphobe… BUT, I work with children all day so I’m always prepared with wipes, sanitizer and telling them not to touch things constantly..

4. May 2, 2011 3:15 am

I wish I had hand sanitizer when I was at the museum last week – totally gross.

5. May 2, 2011 3:20 am

Hotel rooms, even really fancy ones, gross me out. I’m always looking where I don’t want to. Also, my three year-old recently became fully potty trained. I really don’t know what I was so excited about. Now we’re stopping at every disgusting toilet in the city!

6. May 2, 2011 3:45 am

Super considerate hubby! Nice.
    As a doctor, I’ve made friends with germs. AND advocate for cloroxing my counters nightly…never using a sponge, and taking off the comforter when traveling (and washing mine every month) and Washing Hands….those handi wipes are always with me….

7. May 2, 2011 3:59 am

Haha, too funny, Ameena! Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to you! 😉

8. May 2, 2011 4:03 am

Well I never thought about the remote being gross before now…but now I’LL have to wrap it in plastic too!!! Thanks a lot, Ameena! 😉

9. May 2, 2011 4:05 am

Oh God…that’s Genius…I’m going to start just bringing plastic wrap everywhere.

Actually, I seen a lady wearing plastic gloves in a store the other day – so many people were (rudely) staring at her. But y’know we don’t know what people’s situations/stories are and we shouldn’t judge…although I’ll admit, I thought it was a bit obsessive…

10. May 2, 2011 4:06 am

I’m laughing my head off right now!! Great post 🙂

11. May 2, 2011 5:03 am

Bahahaha! Very amusing. I read about this ages ago and thought…. Yes, this is a brilliant idea! A brilliant idea indeed. Sadly I now always pack a lovely little plastic bag for this very purpose, although, not as nuts about the germs in 4.5 & 5 star hotels. Do u bring disposable gloves on hols too?

12. May 2, 2011 5:05 am

Where did he find those bags!? I am with you on the long sleeves! I don’t touch ANYTHING! I will wait for the patron washing her hands beside me, to leave the bathroom before me, just so she can open the door! 🙂

13. May 2, 2011 5:07 am

ahahaha… my boss Lance is like that. He opens doors and stuff with his elbow or the end of his tie.

I call his tie a necklace of bacteria by the end of the day…

14. May 2, 2011 5:13 am

OMG, I think you might have trumped my MrP LOL (not necessarily a germaphobe, but he does always have hand sanatizer on him).

15. May 2, 2011 5:28 am

I get super grossed out too – hotels, grocery carts, gas pumps! And they say the remote is the most germ filled item in a hotel room…eek!

16. May 2, 2011 5:34 am

Nice.

I think about germs sometimes, like when I’m opening doors [especially to public bathrooms], but not all the time. I also tend to forget about germs in the warmer months, even though I could certainly get sick and catch something any time of the year.

17. May 2, 2011 5:43 am

i do that bathroom door knob thing …to open it with sleeves. better safe than sorry rite!

18. May 2, 2011 5:54 am

This is one reason I try not to think too deeply. Shove me into shallow water, as long as it’s not a public pool because for some reason I can do neither those nor hot tubs. Even my own. I see them as vats of “bottom bits” soup.

19. May 2, 2011 6:00 am

I am generally not a germaphobe but hotel rooms, even fancy ones, gross me out a bit. The thin carpet, the bed covering that was last wash who knows when, and the pillows that has had someone else’s greasy head laying on them. I try if at all possible to at least bring my own pillow.

20. May 2, 2011 6:00 am

Woo Hoo! Score one for Ali!
    And when you think about it the remote proabably is the most disgusting thing in the hotel: it is never washed/sanitized and people do all sorts of disgusting things when they are alone in their rooms watching TV. I am totally with you on this one. Great idea!

21. May 2, 2011 6:01 am

I’m so NOT a germaphobe and people like the one you described remind me why I need to be. love the remote in a plastic baggie idea!!

22. actorsdiet permalink
    May 2, 2011 6:24 am

i just looked over at my hotel remote right now and died a little

23. May 2, 2011 6:33 am

Well, yes I do think you’re a bit crazy. But I’m sticking some plastic baggies in my suitcase…

24. May 2, 2011 6:47 am

Genius!

25. May 2, 2011 6:57 am

Anytime I think about how dirty hotels are, I shudder. I’m lucky that I can even fall asleep in one…

26. May 2, 2011 7:08 am

AUGH! I JUST USED THE REMOTE AT MY HOTEL YESTERDAY! I was so much happier before this post 😦

27. May 2, 2011 7:31 am

I’ve never thought of wrapping hotel remote control …great idea! No worries, I’m a germaphobe as well..so you’re not alone..and whatever you said about germs everywhere, can’t agree more.

28. May 2, 2011 7:44 am

Good idea…and I know. It’s really disgusting when you think about it which is why I kind of try not to do that too, too much. It can really drive you mad if you think of all the disgusting things that we all come into contact with every single day. Well, now you can fight bacteria together!

29. May 2, 2011 8:35 am

You’re NOT crazy. I read an article in Health magazine a few years ago (while I was in a hotel, mind you) that the remote is the germiest thing in the room. They NEVER clean it.

Sometimes I wish I weren’t such a germaphobe so I could enjoy hotel stays better–instead of constantly worrying the bed has bedbugs.

30. May 2, 2011 8:53 am

And what’s up with bathrooms that don’t have a hook behind the door for my bag? I don’t even want to know what’s on the bottom of my bag (even though I give that baby a thorough Lysol wipe rub down regularly) :S

31. May 2, 2011 9:05 am

What grosses me out is what all these random hotel guests were doing before picking up the remote . . .
    My dad has sold cleaning products of some sort for my entire life, and he’s a damn good salesman. Which has 100% caused my obesession with cleanliness. He studies all the facts about bacteria, where it is, how much there is, and how to get rid of it. Then he tells me. As a child, I washed my hands so often I actually started washing off skin.

32. May 2, 2011 9:07 am

Oh no! I had never even thought of how many fingers touch the remote and that it probably never gets cleaned. Ewww….You may have another convert.

33. May 2, 2011 9:38 am

That would have never occurred to me……but now it will. Such an easy and clever tip.

34. May 2, 2011 10:43 am

On a related note, do not EVER touch the controllers for the display consoles at Best Buy, Walmart, GameStop etc. My sweetie did last month and had to rush to the nearest sink to scald off the white sticky stuff. Imagine the grossest teenage boys ever….

35. May 2, 2011 11:03 am

You know what? That is amazingly a great gift. You’re right, most places don’t clean the smallest items in the room so I would love this.

36. May 2, 2011 12:36 pm

I have hand sanitizer in my purse, the diaper bag, the van, the kitchen, bathroom and kid’s rooms. And I also have a container of clorox wipes in every room imaginable.

37. May 2, 2011 1:12 pm

Haha, I can respect the cleanliness of others when I need to live with them, but I’m a big believer that a small amount of germ exposure does a body good. My parents were very into antibacterial everything and I was a sickly child. When I got older I simply wasn’t, and I virtually never get sick. Beefing up ma immunitay!

That said, people being “dirty” drives me bonkers. Food bits in the sink or on the counter is a sure-fire way to earn the wrath of Mimi. I’ve been known to rearrange and wipe down whole fridges because something smelled off.

38. May 2, 2011 1:34 pm

Heheeee 🙂 Do you know I never thought of wrapping the remote, but I’ve always been weird about getting a tissue between me and the bedside night switch at hotels….., I mean, imagine the dirty little fingers x by thousands who turn that switch off every night huh!
    There’s germa-phobics & then there’s preparedness – wonder when they are going to bring out condoms for remote controls huh!!!??? But, your seriously onto something Ameena 🙂

39. May 2, 2011 2:27 pm

Genius!!! I’m quite librel with purell and other fragrances hand sanitizers and bring my own pillow cases when we travel. But I never thought about the remote! I am totally stealing that idea.

40. May 2, 2011 3:07 pm

Oh, ew!!!! I never even thought about the remote!

41. May 2, 2011 3:16 pm

If being a germaphobe is wearing a hoodie at the movie theater and airplanes, touching elevator buttons with my knuckles instead of fingertips, and touching paper towel dispensers with the side of my hand to dispense a scrap of paper towel to then use it as a protective sleeve to take out more paper towels… then I’m proud to be a germaphobe.

People are disgusting. There’s no shame in not wanting to share the back of a seat with someone who may not have lice or a generally dirty head!

42. May 2, 2011 3:58 pm

I am a germaphobe, I cannot bear the thought of touching anything that has not been cleaned by me or my husband (I have eventually turned him into one too). Funny story, i saw this woman, throw her trash in the dumpster by opening the lid and progressing to eat something with the same hand…yuck!

43. May 2, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks to you I’ll cover the remote in the hotel room in our next trip.

After your detailed description I think it’s necessary to be a germ phobe.

44. May 2, 2011 5:27 pm

I’m continually astonished at the amount of crap that I can pick up on a Clorox wipe at work from a surface that allegedly “no one touches.” People are absolutely filthy creatures.

The thing that creeps me out the most are shopping carts. Especially after they did that study and figured what you could all catch while in the grocery store.

Horror. Horror. Horror. We have to stay strong, sister.

45. Janelle permalink
    May 2, 2011 5:44 pm

I, perhaps unfortunately, fall on the other end of the spectrum. What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger?
    That said, I most certainly open restroom doors with my elbows and carry hand sanitizer for when a bathroom sink is too nasty to “clean” anything.

46. spiceandmore permalink
    May 2, 2011 6:59 pm

Ah this is how the super bugs develop that are resistant to just about everything. Over use of anti bacterials. And linked to the alarming rise in asthma, and all sort of other things. Yeah be cautious but don’t go overboard…that is what I say. Some bacteria are good for us. If you drank water while you were visiting London did you think about the fact that it had been through an average of 7 sets of kidneys before you drank it? hmm?? Does not bear thinking about, right? But this is life in all its glorious technicolour. Enjoy it or die trying to control it!

47. May 2, 2011 8:02 pm

Eeeew! I don’t know how people can go to the washroom and not wash their hands after! Once Gary and I were at a restaurant eating, after coming out of the washroom he paid the bill immediately and wouldn’t even let me finish my meal. When we got out of the restaurant he said he just saw the chef walk out of the washroom without washing his hands. I almost threw up!

Very smart thing to do with the remote. If washrooms only have those blow dryers for your hands and no paper towels, I use my sleeves to open the door. You are definitely not alone.

48. May 2, 2011 10:14 pm

LOL LOL you are so funny Ameena. Well, I am one of those clan freak type too! hubby tells me that very soon I will have OCB 😛

49. May 2, 2011 10:40 pm

well its all in one’s head ..if you don’t imagine the grossest person then all is well 😛 haha but hey i am a guy you wouldnt expect me to understand 😀 lol

50. May 3, 2011 4:06 am

That is true love indeed 🙂

51. Cindy permalink
    May 3, 2011 7:15 am

enough said is right!

brilliant I say, and I would never have thougth of that…but than again, when was the last time I was in Paris in a hotel?

tee hee.

Down with GERMS

52. May 3, 2011 7:22 am

I am only germaphobic when I think about it. Read your post and left my desk to wash my hands. Wash my hands often. While I could vomit thinking about the remote control (and still may) I can also just not go there.

53. May 3, 2011 1:39 pm

UGH I hate it when I see people walking out of the bathroom without washing their hands! I am a total germaphobe when it comes to using public restrooms. Seriously, I would rather nearly pee my pants waiting to get home rather than use a dingy old bathroom at the mall.

GREAT idea covering up the remote control 🙂

54. Leslie permalink
    May 3, 2011 2:44 pm

Now this is TRUE LOVE!

55. May 3, 2011 3:06 pm

We love that idea and Ryan wanted to make those for hospital TV’s, only to find out he was a few years too late on that idea. It’s a remote condom!

56. May 3, 2011 3:07 pm

I nearly forgot to say thank you for your comments on my wedding photos.

57. May 3, 2011 4:24 pm

I will never touch a hotel remote again…. bahahaha!

good idea with the baggie!!!!

58. May 3, 2011 5:36 pm

Shudder…don’t even get me started on hotel room fears. The plastic bag is HILARIOUS (and awesome)!

59. May 3, 2011 8:32 pm

Gotta ❤ Ali

60. May 4, 2011 8:20 am

OMG, that is GENIUS! Bahahahahahahaha!

61. May 4, 2011 9:02 am

Funny, but I believe the germs can only live on the remote for 24 hours and unless the hotel is booked at all times and was occupied the night before you do not need to worry, and certainly not worry about the guests before. Bed bugs and mites are another thing, I would bring my own sheets… Just saying

62. May 4, 2011 9:40 am

Serious? You remind me of one of my teachers in nursing school. She carried alcohol wipes EVERYWHERE. When we had to try and grow germs as a project, we swabbed her doorknob. Couldn’t grow a single thing from it.

Can I come to you house with a few petri dishes? Please??? 🙂

63. May 4, 2011 10:08 am

Too funny!

64. May 4, 2011 1:27 pm

Is it bad that I would still touch the remote even after imaging the grossest person ever touching it? I’m definitely not a germaphobe although it does gross me out when people do certain things. One friend of mine would NEVER wash her hands after going to the washroom.. ever.. and she never brushed her teeth.. we aren’t friends anymore.

65. May 4, 2011 1:55 pm

I’m not a germophobe, but I’m purity-obsessed. This is also why I have washing compulsion. I don’t think of germs particularly, just the thought to touch something many people have touched before makes me feel uncomfortable. Buttons, door handles, or money … makes me want to wash my hand.

66. May 4, 2011 3:54 pm

I seriously fell over in a fit of uncontrollable laughter. I love it, who would have thought to put the plastic around the remote? I have a tendency to baby wipe everything, but the plastic was genius. Germaphobe or not, I think it is always wise to be prepared. 🙂 this was a great read!

67. May 5, 2011 4:17 am

I consider myself germaphobe, only wish the hubby was a convert as well 😉

68. May 6, 2011 5:09 pm

Genius. I’m not going to even tell you what I KNOW exists on that remote control.

And yet when I’m lazy and don’t wipe things down (I’ve been known to do this) then I say that it’s to improve my immunity! 😀

69. Erika permalink