the bright side…

April 28, 2011

Sorry to repost but I had problems with WordPress…I think things are resolved now!

The biggest problem with going on vacation isn’t having to live out of a suitcase.

It’s not having to share a bathroom with Ali, nor is it juggling far too much carry-on luggage.

Louis Vuitton on London's Bond Street: I wouldn't mind juggling some of this luggage...

It’s not having to find things I can eat nor is it dealing with the inevitable fallout from what Maya eats. And eats. And eats.

It’s not even having to pick up Ali and Maya’s dirty socks from a bacteria-ridden hotel room floor instead of my (self-declared) pristine floors.

London's Green Park: Ali appears to want to kill me in this picture.

No, the biggest problem with going on vacation is that eventually I have to come home. To real life. Which isn’t bad by any means, but when compared to shopping and lunching in Paris and London, really kind of sucks.

Buckingham Palace: Maya wanted to know if we were invited to the royal wedding and was rather shocked when she found out we weren't.

We landed in Los Angeles on Saturday night at 7:20 pm, and by 9:45 pm I told Ali that it was time to start planning our next vacation.

“Where do you want to go?” he asked in a daze of hunger, jet-lag, and irritation.

“Anywhere. Absolutely anywhere.” I said.

His response was to go directly to bed. My response was to organize and clean. Which was when I realized one nice perk of no longer being on vacation…

Thank you Virgin Atlantic for a lovely flight. And for several much needed barf bags. They will all be used at some point. Unfortunately.

My purse is now 5 vomit bags lighter.

Talk about a silver lining.

1. April 28, 2011 6:42 am

Hopefully you won’t need those barf bags any time soon.

Glad you had a good trip, despite some annoyances here and there. What can you expect when traveling with family? 🙂

2. April 28, 2011 7:27 am

I always need a vacation after vacation! It never fails

3. actorsdiet permalink
    April 28, 2011 7:31 am

welcome home! it’s always a bit of a bummer coming back from anything…though i’m getting ready to stop traveling soon!

4. April 28, 2011 7:33 am

Louis V on Bond Street is incredible (but my favourite is the HUGE one on Champs-Elysees in Paris). I also love traveling and get that letdown feeling when I come home.
    PS love your Chanel bag 😉

• April 29, 2011 8:22 am

Thank you Sara!

I saw the one the Louis Vuitton on the Champs-Elysees as well and it is beautiful!

5. April 28, 2011 7:44 am

It can be hard to come home!! I don’t blame you for wanting to plan the next one. Gives you something to look forward to. Despite the vomit looks like it was an amazing trip. I dream of going to Europe. LOVE your high brown boots!!

6. April 28, 2011 7:45 am

I was thinking, “The shift from lavish back to laundry is so stressful not only does she not want to talk about it, she doesn’t want any one else to talk about it.”
    Perhaps a spa day to help you forget all the “sprew” days is in order. Ease back into reality. Definitely.

• April 28, 2011 7:46 am

spew… though depending on what she ate, it might need the extra letter.

• April 29, 2011 8:24 am

Oh yes, unfortunately the extra letter is needed.

7. April 28, 2011 7:47 am

does this mean i need to comment again!? hehe.

I.love.your.life husband shooting daggers and maya puking and all. 🙂

8. April 28, 2011 7:52 am

Thanks for reposting! I tried to comment on your previous post and it wouldn’t let me.

Coming home after a trip is always bittersweet. On your next trip you should definitely take that Sinatra biography! You’ll love it.

9. April 28, 2011 7:54 am

Yay! Glad you guys made it back safely! Maya is so darn cute…if I were her, I would have some questions about not being able to attend the Royal Wedding!!! Not fair! 🙂

10. April 28, 2011 7:59 am

Yay! Glad you had a nice trip 🙂 The only overseas “vacations” we go on are to visit family. One day I want to stop in Europe for the sake of traveling it!

Oh, and you’re gorgeous..I’m jealous 🙂

11. April 28, 2011 8:05 am

as usual sound roundup of ur vacation trip 🙂 loved the family pics ….amazing they are 😀 I am sure home is still ‘sweet” home…

12. April 28, 2011 8:15 am

More vacation pictures please! Oh, and I’ve realized my vacation style is a combo of yours and Maya’s. Shopping and eating are my favorite things 🙂

13. April 28, 2011 8:25 am

Those boots! I love them—and your entire outfit! You look so stylish.

14. April 28, 2011 8:27 am

“Ali appears to want to kill me in this picture”.

What makes you so sure otherwise he doesn’t 😛 ?

The real bright side is that you seemed to have enjoyed your vacation. That’s the best part. Nothing lasts for ever friend. Talk about good times!

15. April 28, 2011 8:30 am

Welcome back! It’s always hard to come back to our daily routine after a nice vacation and you look very stylish with your outfit 😀 How’s the weather there? Is it still colder than here?

• April 29, 2011 8:26 am

By the time we left, Paris and London were warmer than here! Very unusual seeing as we normally freeze in London. Even in June!

16. April 28, 2011 8:48 am

Glad you came back safely. I have been London, it is really expensive place. Lot of sight seeing. I can understand why Maya is asking about to royal wedding invitations.

17. April 28, 2011 8:54 am

Yes Ameena – I can totally relate especially after 2 hours of touching down at home base. ..it all seems rather colorless, non? And please let’s pray that those barf bags can be put away for a long long time.

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

18. April 28, 2011 8:58 am

ha ha… I read this earlier this morning and was so upset I couldn’t comment. Not that I really had anything overly intelligent or profound to say. I just wanted to tell you, if it makes Maya feel better, I was rather upset to find out I wasn’t invited to the royal wedding, either. 😦

• April 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Me too – must be cutting back on expenses Amy, they’ve been particularly harsh with who they’ve not invited haven’t they. Me for one – thought that was a no brainer 🙂
      Welcome home Ameena xx

19. April 28, 2011 9:02 am

Coming home is always bitter sweet. I love my daily routines and miss them while away… though I will give it all up for the sweet hotel life. It is addicting. Though I have never done it all with barf bags in tow. You are my hero!

20. eva626 permalink
    April 28, 2011 9:24 am

great pics! im sure the postman lost the royal wedding invitation for maya! have fun in your REAL life again

21. April 28, 2011 10:24 am

It sounds like you had an AWESOME trip 🙂 I would love to juggle some of that luggage too 😉 haha

22. April 28, 2011 11:17 am

Coming home (and unpacking) is that worst part!

23. April 28, 2011 11:31 am

Isn’t that the coolest LV store? I’ve got to send you a pic of my bag that I got from there, its got my initials on it :D. And its totally vomit bag free!!

24. April 28, 2011 11:58 am

London is the best city in the world.

25. April 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Ah, going to bed is the worst punishment. It’s where you go when you’ve given up all hopes. 😦

I totally loved the pics in this post! Hope you’ll go on vacation again soon! 🙂

26. April 28, 2011 1:08 pm

yay for being home? hahahaha. sounds like you need a vacation from your vacation!

27. April 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Oh my God, you remind me of Mike! We just got home after being overseas for over 40 DAYS and he’s already talking about an Alaskan cruise, lol!

28. April 28, 2011 1:53 pm

bahahaha that IS quite a silver lining =) omg too funny! Going home is the hardest part of a vacation! I agree! I want to go ON a vacation so bad. Oh marine corps…

29. April 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Hilarious! What a beautiful family you’ve got. I’ve got you on my to-read list now!

30. April 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Love your boots! Does Maya ever not have a great grin on her face? Can’t wait to see where you all plan to go next:)

31. April 28, 2011 4:47 pm

I always cry when I have to come home from vacation. I.HATE.IT.

And I always have a panic attack before boarding the plane for the flight home. AARRGGHGH.

Hubby always tries to start planning the next trip to get my mind off of things… but still… sucks mucho.

32. April 28, 2011 6:36 pm

1. re: Green Park – Ali’s expressions on The Blog are probably one of my favorite parts. But don’t tell him that I said that 😉

2. THANK YOU for rocking those boots (um, and the magic purse) while you were over there – I absolutely love them on you.

3. If money were no object, I would be so down with becoming a career lady who lunches and shops in Europe. That kind of thing is a Calling, sister.

33. April 28, 2011 6:58 pm

No matter where you go, how long or short the vacation is, it’s always tough to get back to real life and reality. My vacation was nothing compared to yours (still super jealous), but ever since we got back, all I want to do is plan my next vacation.

I’m glad you guys got some great pictures in. Hope you won’t have to use those barf bags soon. Oh, and tell Maya I’m just as disappointed as she is not being invited either.

34. April 28, 2011 8:16 pm

That is a TRIP not a vacation. And I hear you! I’m always in shock the day after we return. Planning the next trip – a great way to deny that reality has encroached. Love the photos – thanks for sharing and inspiring!

35. April 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Welcome home dear .. you had too much fun and making me SO J 😛
    Everytime I stay in a hotel.. i miss my bed back at home and mainly my pillow and then when I am back .. I miss room service 😀 😀

36. April 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Barf bags are GREAT car trash bags! They are impermeable!

Yes, it’s bittersweet getting back from trips. I really dislike unpacking and I often re-stock everything in my amenity kit and food bag (yes, I have one) so that the next trip is semi-packed. And we also start planning our next trip before our current trip is over- gives us something to look forward to.

Glad you’re home!

37. April 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Fun family pictures! GREAT bags!
    I love to have new vacations to plan, it’s so exciting to have something to look forward to… Often I plan(=dream about) five different vacations and then end up just going home to Iceland…but it’s fun to dream, right? Definitely going somewhere this summer though 🙂

• April 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Oh the irony! My husband and I LOVE Iceland and went twice last year! 🙂

• April 29, 2011 12:18 am

Oh how fun!! For me it’s just “going home”, to meet family… Love my country though of course, but it’s familiar and not like going to a new destination, you know? I think I’ll have to put on my tourist goggles next time I go there 🙂

• April 29, 2011 8:29 am

Iceland is on the list of places I would LOVE to go. I was trying to talk Ali into going this summer…so far it’s a no go.

So far!!

38. April 29, 2011 12:34 am

I adore Louis Vuitton luggage! That store is amazing. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I’ve added yours to my Google Reader and look forward to reading your future posts. Have a great rest of vacation!

39. April 29, 2011 7:08 am

thank you for taking us to Paris with you.

where ARE we going next???

I travel vicariously thru you my sweet!

love it!

40. April 29, 2011 9:11 am

Aww I absolutely adore your photos. And your daughter Maya should have been invited to the wedding :), she’s adorable. And I LOVE the purses. Let’s not get me started lol. Very nice post.

41. April 29, 2011 10:42 am

Welcome back!!!

42. April 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Don’t worry, I was shocked too when I found out I wasn’t invited 😉

Looking forward to reading more about your trips! They seem so fun 🙂

43. April 29, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Ameena,

Thanks for visiting my space. Gosh!!! You have a great blog. Believe me it’s 12:30 in the night and I am not able stop reading posts. You have got me hooked. Now I have now way out but to follow your 😉

• April 29, 2011 6:58 pm

Thank you Nishi for the ultimate compliment!! You are very kind. 🙂

44. April 29, 2011 6:10 pm

So glad you had a good vacation! You look gorgeous too; Europe agrees with you. Or maybe it’s the magical power of hot boots.

45. April 29, 2011 6:19 pm

I think your next “trip” should be to my place. Let’s hang. No vomit bags required! 🙂

46. April 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Glad you had such a good vacay–but hooray for no more barf bags!!

47. April 29, 2011 7:23 pm

So jealous you were in London anywhere NEAR the Royal Wedding! I am obsessed, watching it all day. 🙂 Again, wish I was British… 😉

48. April 30, 2011 5:25 am

Thanks for commenting on my blog because it’s given me the chance to find yours. I love it here, so entertaining and with great pics. Hope it’s not too long before your next vacation.

49. April 30, 2011 11:10 am

Glad you arrived back safely! Maybe next vacation extra dramamine 😉 Gorgeous photos and thanks for taking us along 🙂

50. April 30, 2011 11:50 am

I’m pretty sure I want your boots…just pointing that out, you know, in case they ever go missing, you’ll have to come to Winnipeg to get them back!
    Love the pic where you think Ali wants to kill you! lmao!
    Oh, and I’m going to BlogHer in San Diego in August, you going ???? Please say ‘yes!’

51. May 1, 2011 3:58 am

Hehehe I totally agree and understand you… I just came back from a short holiday in New Zealand and that same evening I started thinking of where we could go next!!!! ahhhh It is so hard to get back into the usual routine… harder than adjusting to jet lag…

52. May 1, 2011 4:29 am

Aww, hehe 🙂 Welcome back, Ameena! I always feel that post-vacay slump, too … but then, I’m reminded of how I love being in a familiar environment where I know where everything is. And the barf bags! You poor gal! I’ll cross my fingers that you’ll get to go on a vomit-less vacation before too long 🙂

53. May 2, 2011 4:00 pm

I think I could use a vacation right about now! You missed the royal wedding hysteria by just a few days.

54. May 3, 2011 5:38 pm

Drooling over your Chanel- and those boots you’re wearing. You wear it well girlfriend!

55. May 4, 2011 11:14 am

What a lovely family 🙂

56. May 4, 2011 5:36 pm

It looks like a very special vacation! It’s true, coming home can be unpleasant. BUT it also means you get to go back to your routine, and if you’re like me and you’re really OCD about routines and consistency, then that’s a happy thing! Lol, I’m strange, I know. I really do love travelling though, I just need to get back to my home sooner or later — I am going to be travelling for most of the summer actually and that really scares me. Here’s to hoping I don’t have any OCD-where-are-my-special-objects-oh-crap-they’re-at-home freakouts!

57. May 5, 2011 4:19 am

Haha! There’s always a silver lining, one that you can always find in those LV bags as well.

58. May 7, 2011 4:55 pm

That looks like such a great trip! I’m always planning my next one when I’m traveling home. 🙂