that girl is not me

February 28, 2011

I’ve always wanted to be that girl who finds the most amazing Diane Von Furstenberg dress at 85% off. But that girl is willing to look through messy clearance rack after messy clearance rack.

That girl is not me.

So imagine my predicament when I had to kill 2 hours this weekend while Maya played golf with her teacher (long story). And the only store in sight?

Nordstrom Rack.

So during my 120 minutes at The Rack I learned that it doesn’t matter the city, the store, or the price point – the exact same bargain hunters can be found, no matter where the bargain may be.

There is…

1. The serious bargain hunter who will stare at you until you put.the.Prada.sunglasses.down. She will then proceed to glare at you as she snatches them up.

2. The mother with 5 little boys, none of whom want to be shopping. All of whom will step all over your feet as they entertain themselves with a game of tag, while their mother poses in front of a mirror debating the pros and cons of the ugliest Coach bag you’ve ever seen.

3. The hot-pink-velour-clad blonde who never learned the concept of personal space as she hovers over you and the size double- zero BCBG dresses.

4. And the white-haired contingent who will simply shove you out of their way if you happen to get between them and their Clarks.

Other weekend highlights...a Laker Game at the Staples Center.

Still, I must acknowledge the silver lining – Maya was occupied. For two hours. By someone else. And it’s for that reason alone that I am willing to subject myself to another showdown with any and all bargain shoppers.

Any day.

1. spiceandmore permalink
    February 28, 2011 3:34 am

So true! That girl is not me either. Neither am I the girl who manages to just throw together the perfect looking outfit that was bought at Target or the op shop. I do wish I could though!
    We don’t have the big outlet centres here is Australia that you have in the US…who knows, perhaps there is an inner bargain hunter in me that has not had a chance to express herself?!

2. February 28, 2011 3:34 am

I am not that girl either. I would rather skip shopping and forego the clothing than pick through things. I have no problem sorting through produce though to find the perfect avocado (priorities).
    Golf lesson- awesome. I’m waiting for the day my boys can go out and play 18 holes with my golf-obsessed husband.

3. Thetreadmilldiaries permalink
    February 28, 2011 3:38 am

I’m not a bargain shopper unless the mood randomly strikes me. And when it does, I’m low key and not in any of the above groupings – thank goodness. 🙂 But I’ve definitely seen those ladies out and about.

4. February 28, 2011 3:40 am

haha….that girl is not me either. as much as i appreciate good deals, i can not stand cluttered stores and i won’t rummage through racks. that’s just WAYYY too much work.

on a side note, you two look gorgeous in that photo. 😉

5. February 28, 2011 4:04 am

I have a time limit when it comes to places like that. I love them, but the racks can’t be overly stuffed (where it takes me 10 minutes to untangle a top from the rest of the mess on the rack) and I cannot be constantly bumped into or breathed on by crazies and kids. Doesn’t work out well…

6. February 28, 2011 4:10 am

Oh god I can’t shop in those stores. I have no patience for it. It is way too much work. That being said I totally would have spent the 2 hours browsing the racks if my children were being occupied by someone else. Because two hours alone shopping, no matter where it is, is bliss.
    And yes the White Hairs scare me.

7. February 28, 2011 4:14 am

So true! I’m no good with sales or bargain hunting, I really can’t deal with sorting through the chaos and they never have middle range sizes!

8. February 28, 2011 5:36 am

I get such a thrill out of bargain shopping. I might, in fact, be that first example. 🙂

9. February 28, 2011 5:54 am

Haha, I think you’ve painted a very accurate picture.

I definitely have to be in the mood to bargain shop if I’m going to attempt in, but I get winded very quickly!

Have a great Monday :]

10. February 28, 2011 6:29 am

I haven’t been to Nordstrom Rack yet! I’ve heard good things(?) 🙂

11. February 28, 2011 6:31 am

I wish I were like that, too. Whenever I go into Anthropologie I head straight to the sale racks, get frustrated by the disorder and the vultures and give up. Your description of the bargain shoppers is spot on. They’re always pushing and crowding.

12. February 28, 2011 6:39 am

when i get in the mood for bargain shopping then the world needs to look out! but that seems to rarely happen. it’s probably for the best.

and that picture is soooooooooooooooooooo precious! i love it

13. February 28, 2011 6:40 am

I can’t bring myself to shop at places where you have to dig anymore. I used to be able to do that, but my patience has been worn thin when it comes to stuff like that. I find that I only have so much and it needs to be saved for other things…like my son and husband.

I wish I could though. Part of it, I guess, is because I just don’t really enjoy clothes shopping like I used to. I’m way to critical and just end up getting too frustrated because either nothing looks right or I can’t justify buying it. Or if I do buy something, 9 times out of 10 it’s getting returned.

14. February 28, 2011 7:00 am

I am not too much a fan of going shopping in general! Hate crowds, there’s always something I really want that I can’t afford, and I can’t walk around very well (and no one seems to like it when I make a pile of shirts into a chair for some reason). I just want to order things online! 😉 But that gets difficult sometimes.

15. February 28, 2011 7:14 am

did you find anything good at least? people are crazy. the Lakers game looks like so much fun!

16. February 28, 2011 7:59 am

amen. I’d rather go out in a towel.

17. February 28, 2011 8:05 am

You really did capture bargain shoppers. I like a good sale like any other person but I cannot pick at things all day. My time and mental sanity is worth more than that!

18. February 28, 2011 8:16 am

Gotta love Nordstrom’s Rack! I’m so not that kind of shopper although I do venture in now and then to give it a shot. When I’m looking for something specific it’s usually not the best spot. Laker Game! Cool.

19. February 28, 2011 8:49 am

You went for a lakers game that is so cool. It is in our life’s wishlist to go for basket ball games. My husband to Lakers since he is a lakers fan and I want to go for a Celtics game. I am a die hard Celtics fan! You can imagine the animosity we had for each other as each one rooted for their faves at last years finals.

20. February 28, 2011 8:58 am

I hope you found some really good bargains, or at least punched her for the glasses. I wonder if they make portable hammacks, so you can just swing them between two trees and sit with a book… who cares if it is in the middle of crowded shopping mall.

21. February 28, 2011 9:18 am

Your descriptions of the different types is hilarious! I can just picture all of them in my head…especially the mom with 5 boys! Haha! LOVE the picture of you and Maya…so sweet!

22. February 28, 2011 9:33 am

the woman with the 5 boys is so funny/drives me crazy!

23. February 28, 2011 9:35 am

Confession time. I love me a good Ross, Nordstrom Rack, outlet mall outing. I like that it feels like a treasure hunt/garage sale. I have never found the $20 Coach bag (the stuff of legends) but I’m gonna keep looking 🙂

24. February 28, 2011 10:09 am

I enjoy bargain shopping up to a certain point and then I just can’t do it… once the feelings of claustrophobia set in, I run away. I love getting a deal, but if it doesn’t happen fast, I give up pretty easily and seek comfort at Coldstone Creamery.

25. February 28, 2011 10:34 am

hehe, I am not a Coach fan but the lines outside the Coach outlets are insane! From time to time, I do like a good outlet run. Though, I hardly find anything…my husband on the other hand is another story!

You have to share the story of Maya golfing, I’m sure it’s hilarious!

26. February 28, 2011 11:08 am

I do love scoping out a great bargain, but I find that as I get older, I have less and less patience to sort through all the garbage. That being said, I have found some amazing things (I have 2 Marc Jacobs dresses that I bought for under $50! But I hardly wear either– that’s another problem with bargain shopping). Daaaahling, being such a small size, I bet you would find the most amazing stuff, all the best stuff in those stores is teeny tiny!

27. February 28, 2011 11:33 am

I love a great bargain but searching high and low in a store is not my thang. That’s why I look at emails like rue-la-la and shop it to me!

28. February 28, 2011 11:43 am

How exciting for Maya! I’ll bet she had such a great time. That was my dream in elementary, to win a lunch with the teacher. Maya obviously 10-upped me.

I’m not that girl most of the time, but when the kids are running laps around the kitchen island screaming and yelling (and I’m sure there’s crying mixed in there somewhere), I easily become that girl. It’s a great place to go when you need reassurance that your family is not the only dysfunctional family. Also, I’d rather deal with other people’s nasty glares and screaming brats, at least it doesn’t make me look like a horrible mom when I ignore them. In all seriousness though, I love me a good bargain shopping day.

29. actorsdiet permalink
    February 28, 2011 12:23 pm

i do love bargain shopping only when i have time. come to think of it, i’m pretty much ONLY a bargain shopper. i don’t buy anything that isn’t a “deal!”

great pic of you and maya.

30. February 28, 2011 12:46 pm

Im not a bargain shopper. Its too much work. If theres a sale then thats great, but I would never go looking for one.

31. February 28, 2011 3:11 pm

I love shopping at Nordstrom Rack but I have to be in the right mood. Going through those racks is not for the light-hearted. And 90% of the time, I’m willing to pay more to not have to deal with it. I’m lazy and out of time!

32. Kath (My Funny Little Life) permalink
    February 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Sometimes, on a good day, I can ignore the people around me … On the other days, I better don’t leave the house at all, or at least don’t set my foot into a store. 😉

33. February 28, 2011 5:35 pm

Oh man. I definitely have to be in the right mood to do any sort of bargain shopping… TJ Max, Marshalls, Rack, whatever. Usually I’m not in the right frame of mind.

34. February 28, 2011 5:51 pm

I am NOT a shopper–which is good for my wallet 😉

35. February 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Whenever I go hunting for bargains, I just solve the problem by giving any and all people The Death Stare. More often than not, I go home empty-handed, but it spares me the mouth breathers that invade your personal space.

36. February 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Keep at it, eventually you WILL find the steal of a lifetime. And if not, a couple of peaceful hours ; )

37. February 28, 2011 8:10 pm

my mom is one of those women that can pick out all the diamonds in the rough at discount stores in mINUTES. it usually works out well for me.

38. February 28, 2011 8:26 pm

i would love to find a great bargain but i lack the patience to do so. may be someday.

39. February 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Oh man, did you ever nail this one. Perfectly. *Love* the photo of you and Maya! Go lakers?! 🙂 XO

40. February 28, 2011 9:58 pm

When I have a goal, shopping is TORTURE. When I don’t, I find the best, most unique “deals” because I more open and receptive to what is POSSIBLE rather than some defined MUST HAVE

41. March 1, 2011 3:34 am

Bring it on Ameena., sounds like your just getting into your stride girlfriend 🙂

42. March 1, 2011 12:33 pm

I love Nordstrom Rack, and TJ Maxx, and sometimes even Marshalls. But I like to shop alone, no kids allowed. But as I have gotten older I would rather pay more for better quality and not have as many clothes, that is for sure.

43. March 1, 2011 12:42 pm

Definitely not that girl either. None of them, actually. Although I wish I were the bargain hunter, I just don’t have time! Maybe when I move to the city I’ll be able to be a bit more thrifty.. I hope. I won’t really have a choice.. haha.

44. March 1, 2011 1:05 pm

So true! For years I couldn’t stand the time commitment and treasure hunt aspect of bargain shopping. Since moving to Seattle, I’ve become a fan of the Nordstrom Rack here because since it’s 3 blocks from the flagship store the inventory is current and the deals (Chloe sandals for $100, originally $1000+) are spectacular. Anywhere else – forget about it.

45. March 1, 2011 1:59 pm

I so would like to be that girl too… but I’m just too impatient. Good thing we can have the people watching instead!

46. March 1, 2011 2:29 pm

Lol, good for you for braving it. It looks like the bball game was more relaxing!

47. March 1, 2011 3:01 pm

Oh I hate bargain shopping! The messy racks, the make-up stains left on half the clothes, and the bags falling off the shelves. Too bad I have to do because I’m a grad student who makes less than most homeless people. One day…

48. March 1, 2011 6:06 pm

gosh I cannot relate at all!

I spent about a half hour MAX a month ago blissfully at Goodwill, one eye on JJ and one eye on any thing for under 5 bucks I could SCORE on that made me feel HIP.

cool thing is Goodwill in our area is from good stock. Bad thing is I still have no patience for rack after rack of stuff I really have no clue if it’s HIP or not.

I am just happy if it fits…and 5 bucks, of course.

LAKER GAME….how cool!
    ox

49. March 1, 2011 9:15 pm

Having just spent 4 days full-time caring for a seriously energetic toddler, I can absolutely relate to the last bit!

50. March 2, 2011 6:17 am

I’m an awful bargain hunter. I just don’t have the patience but my friends find such great things at Filene’s Basement, Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx, etc.

51. March 2, 2011 7:34 am

I’ve met all five of your shopper definitions at every bargain bin, mall shop or major store I’ve been in, which is why I hate shopping. If I had two hours to kill I’d rather grab a book and read outside. 🙂

I love that picture at the Lakers game. You are gorgeous. Seriously so.

52. March 2, 2011 8:29 am

Hey Ameena! On some days, I am totally patient enough to bargain shop. One has to be in the mood to do it though. Ooh, and your bargain shopper types are so funny. The last one is so true. Here in Florida, the old folks are fierce (smile but seriously)!

53. March 2, 2011 10:32 am

that is the sweetest most awesome pic i have seen … maya looks so adorable 😀 … you don’t look like her mother if that makes u feel any better about the bargainers hehehe 😀

54. March 2, 2011 11:31 am

There’s a 5th kind and I’m it. The kind who is thoroughly annoyed that anyone else dared to come shopping at the same time as her. I just walk around trying not to look like I’m fuming inside every time someone gets in my way!
    Great photo!!

55. March 2, 2011 9:12 pm

Smile. Too true. I’m glad you got some moments to yourself, but I can relate to being in a store with all of those stereotypical shoppers. I end up leaving frazzled! I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. Thank you for sharing sweet woman!

56. March 3, 2011 12:27 am

That girl is not me either.And I m pretty bad at bargaining too.And I hate crowded stores especially with moms who have 5 boys, each rolling on the floor 🙂 I used to love all this when I was in college but not any more.

57. March 3, 2011 6:23 pm

Haha, yup – that sums up the Rack. My husband loves that store, but it stresses me out. I hate when people have no concept of personal space. Or manners.

58. March 3, 2011 9:52 pm

I am terrible with bargain shopping, plus I do not have the patience to be stuck with many of those that fit your list…

59. March 5, 2011 12:31 pm

i think im the type that looks fro bargains but only buys stuff that are BOTH cheap and look good!!! lol

60. March 6, 2011 6:15 am

Isn’t that the truth! I try and bargain shop from time to time too and I know so many women are amazing at it but I almost never find anything! I get too overwhelmed I think. I love that picture of you and Maya. I bet the game was fun!

61. March 11, 2011 4:46 am

you forgot to list the asian lady who looks for clothes in the juniors section!

62. March 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Both you and your daughter look adorable!