the nightmare of high school

January 10, 2011

Did I ever mention how much I hated high school? Let’s just say that for me high school was the equivalent of flying Southwest Airlines – it’s something you have to endure but you hate every second of it.

So why did I hate it? Well, for a multitude of reasons…

• I was too tall, too nerdy, too thin.
  • I wore braces, I sometimes wore glasses, and I wore my sister’s hand-me-downs. They didn’t fit.
  • I hadn’t discovered the power of a blow dryer and makeup was (and continues to be) a challenge of mammoth proportions.

So what saved me from being a complete and utter loser?

My car.

You see, my parents were a bit nuts. They refused to pay $58 for the Guess Jeans I begged for but one fine day they came home with something better: a BMW. And while my pretty car was by no means the nicest at my school, it at least put me on par with most of the other students.

In other words, a car was the defining factor between me being accepted at school versus being one of those poor kids who were tormented to death at the lunch benches.

I saw it happen. It wasn’t pretty.

So to that nosy lady at the mall? The one who muttered under her breath, “What kind of mother lets her kid have Twinkle Toes just because all the other kids wear them?”

The offending shoes...

The answer is me. I let my kid wear Twinkle Toes because I want her to fit in and I want her to be liked and I want her to get through school with a minimal amount of scarring.

It’s hard to be a kid. If a pair of shoes, a pair of jeans, or a car helps (and I can afford it) then I can’t think of anything better I’d rather spend my money on.

Oh and to the nosy mall lady? MYOB.

1. January 10, 2011 12:41 am

I’mma liking your parents’ taste in cars 😉
    I think you can still buy your kids nice things without spoiling them. It’s tough to try to fit in with the “cool crowd” these days and maintain great grades. In my opinion, if a child can maintain good grades, then why not spoil them a little? Gives them a bit of incentive to try harder in school too. And I totally agree with you, if you can afford it. why deprive her of it? Back off mall lady! 😀

2. January 10, 2011 2:53 am

yeah the nosiness is insane:S….. I wonder why is it any of her business to begin with.

3. January 10, 2011 3:35 am

Well-said. What you buy your child is no one’s business but your own. And those shoes are cute!

4. January 10, 2011 4:11 am

Cute shoes! I go back and forth on buying things for kids just so they can “fit in”, but I’m a softie so I’d prbably do the same!

5. January 10, 2011 4:26 am

I hated high school too. Thank god my life today shares no resemblance to those days! Back then I had no cool clothes (my single mother couldn’t afford them), no cool car… nothing. I was a nerd and very easily intimidated. Today HH’s designer handbag alone is worth more than what my classmates’ organs would cost on the black market. And that pleases me. It pleases me a lot!
    Maya is so lucky!

6. January 10, 2011 5:07 am

My parents were the same way yours were. They did a good job in deciding what we *really* needed, but there were the moments that they’d give in here and there to things “just because”. I hated it at the time, but am pretty appreciative for it now.

I had no clue what Twinkle Toes were (so out of the loop!), but seriously- you do such a good job balancing with Maya. Who cares what they think? You know you’re doing a good job raising your child. That’s what matters.

7. January 10, 2011 5:16 am

::sigh:: Dudette isn’t allowed to grow up to high school age. I cringe at the thought.

8. January 10, 2011 5:40 am

bahahaha! if twinke toes make childhood easier — by all means, deck Maya in twinkle toes and silly bands and all the other trendiness you can 😉 I hated highschool as well! middle school was a traumatizing nightmare as well. *shudder*

relive it? you couldn’t pay me!

Happy monday dollface! ❤

9. January 10, 2011 5:44 am

Oh god, high school was just wretched. I hated everything about it. Thank god for university.

10. January 10, 2011 5:46 am

Something tells me Maya won’t have trouble fitting in in high school with her beautiful face…although I would have said the same thing about you!!

11. January 10, 2011 6:05 am

Some people think they know best for everyone don’t they? Gosh!

I am lovin’ those Twinkle Toes and I’m hoping they make them for adults. Kidding. Sort of.

12. January 10, 2011 6:15 am

People should really keep their opinions to themselves. And you did the right thing! Those twinkle toes are totally reminding me of the shoes with lights in them from when I was a kid. Maya is probably loving those twinkle toe shoes, because I remember I loved mine!

13. January 10, 2011 6:52 am

I like the twinkle toes. they scream maya.

14. January 10, 2011 7:11 am

hahah. i naturally distrust anyone who says they loved high school. sure i did have good moments buttttt let’s just say i’m happy it’s over and done with

15. January 10, 2011 7:41 am

You are an awesome mom!

16. January 10, 2011 7:43 am

Hey, I agree. If Twinkle Toes (never heard of them before 😉 but funny name) make Maya happy, who cares?! You can’t give your kids everything, but how else is she going to look back and say, “Wow, remember the days of Twinkle Toes?” like I reminisce about scrunchies, leggings, and side ponytails. 🙂

17. January 10, 2011 7:48 am

Oh, I’m sure I’ll be doing the same thing in a few more years 🙂

18. January 10, 2011 7:51 am

Two things:
    1. I love how you compared high school to flying Southwest. I can relate.
    2. Those shoes are AWESOME!

And now for the big thing:
    This story is the best, because if you were to confront that woman about what she’d said, she would have acted like either 1) she hadn’t said it, or 2) she didn’t mean it “like that.” If I were there I probably would have said, “I find it sad how people can poke fun at children because they have nothing better to do with their time.” …or perhaps something more creative than that.

I’m concluding with this: TwinkleToesHater was totally hired by SUV Dad. I think we both know it’s true.

Have a great day! 🙂

19. January 10, 2011 7:54 am

Heh, I had no idea this was the latest kid shoe trend. Maya’s going to be so cute in the shoes + the Hello Kitty track suit! Oh, and I really don’t see how it’s anyone’s business what you choose to buy your kids.

20. January 10, 2011 8:03 am

I have come across very few people who have said that they had fun in high school. I hated it from the bottom of my heart! I just felt I could never fit in and on top of all that I fractured my foot gained an obscene amount of weight and that retracted me further! Another thing/people I hate, people trying to be nosy into others matters.

21. January 10, 2011 8:05 am

I totally agree. Kid’s are cruel! I’d be terrified if I had to do it all over again in this day and age. Why not let the child fit in right. A BMW. You snazzy skinny little high schooler!! At least it had more use then point A to point B….acceptance. Sadly. I didn’t get a car until College and it was NOT a BMW.

22. January 10, 2011 8:07 am

I wish my Mom would have bought me a few things here and there so I fit in better!

23. January 10, 2011 8:09 am

Or maybe, nosy lady, I let her wear them because she LIKED them.

For the record, I prefer flying Southwest to high school. Any day.

24. January 10, 2011 8:11 am

Ummmm dont hate me, but I dont mind southwest. Free checked bags! (sorry, you know I’m the frugal type).
    My mom always wanted me to be liked for who I was…..Hence I was never the popular kid.

25. January 10, 2011 8:30 am

My car was definitely a saving grace during high school — it meant freedom, lol! By the way, LOVE Twinkle Toes, they are seriously so cute!

26. January 10, 2011 8:37 am

reminds me of my own school time….but it was in elementary school..believe it or not I wore braces and that time braces were something very rare to be seen and I bound to be made fun all the time..sigh.

27. January 10, 2011 8:55 am

I wish my parents bought me a car to help me fit in 🙂 You’re a good mom, Ameena!

28. January 10, 2011 8:57 am

OK those are so cute, I want a pair. Will you adopt me?

PS If those kids could see how gorgeous, successful and un-nerdy you are they’d freak the eff out!

• January 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Deb – you always know just what to say…thank you.

29. January 10, 2011 8:58 am

I’m so out of touch w/the kids these days– I’ve never heard of Twinkle Toes. But they’re cute@ And it’s no one’s business what you buy for your kid.

30. January 10, 2011 9:08 am

Ameena, I do agree with you that if we buy our kids” fashionable” or “hip” things, we are not spoiling them. We want them to fit in and not be scarred for life. Oh man my high school years were tough! phew! what I didn’t do for those Jordache jeans..{I’m a little older than you} :))

31. January 10, 2011 9:19 am

Did someone really say that? It’s just a pair for shoes for a little girl! I remember when wheely backpacks were popular when I was in elementary school..everyone had one! I begged my mom for one for weeks before she gave in and to this day I am still thankful!

32. January 10, 2011 9:28 am

people piss me off. Especially today.
    those shoes are ADORABLE.

I want a pair!

sorry HS sucked for you! ME TOO!
    xoxoxo

33. January 10, 2011 9:30 am

I totally agree, your kids problems in high school usually revolve around not being able to go to so and so’s house or wanting this new gadget or outfit, if we can fulfill their wishes, why not? at that age those things seem like the end of the world. I don’t think it’s spoiling, obviously everything has to be age appropriate, I wouldn’t buy my 15 yr old a Birkin (me first 😉 ) heheheheh.

34. Michelle permalink
    January 10, 2011 9:48 am

If I was still little, I would probably have loved those shoes. The lady obviously has no sense in what kids want.

35. January 10, 2011 9:49 am

If you thought high school was bad, it is a riot to watch again as an adult. I am a tutor at the local high school and I attend their classes daily. Last year I attended almost an entire year of 8th grade algebra so I knew what was going on. Today was fun in geometry class. The part that is funny is that I feel like a big sister to some of the kids so I get sucked into high school and middle school drama. The other day I found myself gossiping with 7th graders about who likes who. I actually like to stay on top of things so that I am not too hard on a kid if I know they are having a tough time and I can step in and break things up between students when I know it is getting out of hand. But mostly, it makes me smile to see what kids find to be so tough these days and laugh about how I know they too will laugh about it sometime in the future.

36. January 10, 2011 10:04 am

Those sneakers are funny! High school kinda sucked for me, too!

37. January 10, 2011 10:09 am

Ugh. High school. What saved me? I was one of the few Asian kids so by default, everyone copied off of my homework.

38. January 10, 2011 10:59 am

oh AMEN! I have purchased SO many things that I think are utterly rediculous for my 10 yr old so he can ‘fit in’ at school. The latest being those “silly bandz” bracelets for instance. I cringed spending $5 on something that probably cost $.01 to make in China and knowing it’s something that will fizzle out in just a matter of weeks. But he just HAD to have them, and multiple packages. He drove me CRAZY and had me scouring the entire metroplex searching for the ‘rare’ ones. (Yes, I was one of THOSE mom’s *sigh*) Anyway, as much as I detested the whole bit, I couldn’t deny HIM his little experience with his friends. He had a lot of fun trading, showing off, etc and I would never want to take that away because of how *I* felt about it all and how silly it was. I know I’m incredibly grateful to my mom who had to deal with me begging for every color of those awful Gibeau jeans. God bless her soul for that.

• January 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Maya loves her silly bands! I too have a problem paying so much for them but they do provide hours of entertainment so I justify my ROI that way!

39. January 10, 2011 11:12 am

I totally agree with you! My mom thought the same way. Post-immigration, once it dawned on me that looking good was the secret and clothes would get me there, I went in that direction and my mom happily funded it. I didn’t love high school, but it could have been so much worse. Loved university though!

40. January 10, 2011 11:17 am

High school was a nightmare. I was such a nerd. Okay, I still am, but I know how to better hide it or wear it with pride.

Those shoes? Adorable!

41. January 10, 2011 2:02 pm

I here ya, girl (btw- here via Mommy of a monster). I was kind of a geek…but was saved because I was an athlete. I never got to have any of the “in” stuff. And now I struggle w/that dilema and decision regarding my own kids. Pay more because it’s “in” or not?? More often than not…we want our kids to fit in. Peers are tough…kids can be brutal…its’ my way of protecting my boys.

42. January 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Somehow your post reminded me of this latest flick -Easy A.Not there is any connection but it did.I was not born n bought up here and dont have a kid til nw so The knowledge I have about high schools here is from movies and some stories from friends.And from that knowledge I can say that Maya deserves her shoes to shine,to feel confident and enjoy the spotlight at her school coz thats the owing a pair of twinkle toe shoes is totally harmless and fun.

43. January 10, 2011 3:42 pm

i am totally on this with you. there is nothing wrong about buying stuff for your kid when when you can afford.

i did not attend high school here. but from all that i hear, i feel being a kid is lot harder here.why not make it a little easy for the kid.

ameena, probably at least one of your school mate would be reading this blog and thinking how did this nerd turn out to be so cool. 🙂

those shoes look cute. i can imagine how excited a five year old will be to wear them.

44. January 10, 2011 3:48 pm

I’m with you 100%. I feel like life is hard enough and I will do what I can to make it easier for my children. I think it is starting so much earlier now days. My seven year old looked at his pants the other day and said, “Cool, these are Gap.”

Bought a pair of Twinkle Toes last week for Ema Grace.

45. January 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Im with you!! Kids are MEAN, and if something as simple as a pair of shoes will keep her from being teased, I’d buy them too.

46. January 10, 2011 4:15 pm

I hated high school too. I actually went to three different schools for various reasons. The second one I went to was an alternative school, full of pot-smoking hippies. I didn’t fit in because I was kinda conservative in my views and I really liked to shower and shaved my armpits…A car might have helped me feel better but probably would have made other students hate me even more.
    Maya’s lucky that you are looking out for her emotional well being…I am totally buying my kid twinkle toes if that will spare them the nightmare of being the weirdo shafted one.

47. January 10, 2011 4:45 pm

As much as I want my kid-to-be to be an individual, I also remember how much agony middle school was for me. One of my fitting in strategies was to engage the popular kids in conversation at least three times a a day (this was a written task on my to-do list). By high school I had grown up a lot and liked the fact that I was different, but when it comes to my own children, I realize this needs to come about organically.

48. January 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Sheesh. If TwinkleToes mean your a bad parent, a lot of us are in a heap of trouble.

Julia doesn’t have them yet, but if she wanted them I’d get them. I’m that horrible.

49. January 10, 2011 5:45 pm

Nothing wrong with that! Your child is your priority…and it’s your business to raise YOUR children however YOU want to. So good for you 🙂

50. January 10, 2011 6:24 pm

I definitely agree! Sure, kids may not NEED Twinkle Toes, but they need shoes and if that’s the kind they want, they we should give it to them.

51. January 10, 2011 6:31 pm

Kids are mean and ridiculous! I’m glad you are able to help Maya avoid that. Can you believe my niece got made fun of for wearing these exact same shoes? From a mother! I couldn’t believe it! What a horrible woman

52. January 10, 2011 6:32 pm

My freshman year (after a nightmare of Middle School), my mother realized that absent allowing me to have a job, we needed to go shopping. Big time. Lifesaver.

If Twinkle Toes are what the kids are into these days (I’ve seen more commercials than I’d like to admit), then my vote is to buy them in every color.

53. January 10, 2011 6:42 pm

You are freaking hilarious. Have you got that book deal yet? I’m also insanely jealous that you had a BMW in high school!…even if it was years ago…like what 4 years ago? 🙂

P.S Tagged you in an award if your so obliged 🙂

54. January 10, 2011 8:26 pm

I am so with you. In fact my 4 year old has 2 pairs of Twinkle Toes!! So what! My 11 year old has 2 pairs of UGGS . So What!!! And my 9 year old son wears a $50.00 Phiting (not sure of the spelling) necklace.
    But guess what they are all happy and socially well rounded.
    Don’t set your kids up for social failure. Why would you do that? It makes no sense!!

55. January 10, 2011 9:28 pm

And I always say this (feel free to use it) “Nobody else is going to care for my kid better than I will!” Like it? You’re welcome.

56. January 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Whoever can’t see the value of Twinkle Toes needs to not leave their house or apartment. They ruin things and simply should stay indoors and be grouchy by themselves. My parents were not too into the fashion trends of the day (and my sister and I paid for it!) But when we got high school, they changed their tune and let us go shopping at least every few months. Thank you for sharing this with me. I know everyone is going to love Maya when she gets to high school. She has some good genes 🙂

57. January 11, 2011 3:30 am

Haha, aww! There’s nothing wrong with buying Maya an adorable pair of Twinkle Toes (I’ll have to keep my eyes out for those). I remember when I was growing up, my family was very anti-materialistic (except me), and my sisters would scorn other people who got the latest thing (I was not proud of the scorn). They probably scorned because we couldn’t afford the latest, but I still desperately wanted Jellies, or the latest hair thing, but I was awkward in middle school and got teased and ignored a lot. It wasn’t until high school (surprisingly!) that things got better.

So, I definitely plan on getting my kids things that allow them to fit it during those crucial years. I would never want to subject my daughter to what I went through, for sure!

58. January 11, 2011 7:34 am

My boyfriend and I talk about things like this. Would our kids be the weird ones for eating organic whole wheat bread sandwiches packed in a reusable sack? Or do we buy crappy white bread so they can fit it more.

59. January 11, 2011 11:22 am

you’re an awesome mom! maya is so lucky… she is going to rock those shoes:)

60. January 11, 2011 11:32 am

Wow, some people really need to STFU, please excuse my language. What’s wrong with twinkie toed shoes? God, Maya is a little girl! She deserves her twinkie toed shoes, and even a tutu if she wants one! When else are little girls gonna feel like a princess?

61. January 11, 2011 11:59 am

You got a BMW and I had a 1988 Ford Tempo. Yikes! I hated high school, I refuse to go to reunions and really hope my kids don’t have the same hellish experience I did.

I love those shoes!!!!

Jen

62. January 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Hmm..Southwest is my fav airline!

But anyway, I’m with you on this Ameena. I think it’s so hard for kids to make it through school unscathed, and your parents certainly can’t make you cooler when push comes to shove. But the little things that can be done to help kids fit in, like a funky pair of shoes or an LL Bean backpack with your initials on it (why did i want this so bad?!) can sometimes make it a little easier.

63. January 11, 2011 1:48 pm

THANK YOU, Ameena.
    And everyone who commented saying High School was terrible.
    Seriously, I was starting to freak out. My relatives keep saying high school is “the best time of your life” – and I’m pretty sure I’m NOT having the time of my life. If this is supposed to be my happiest… I don’t even know if I want to go to college.
    Kidding! Now, that definitely made me happy. So college could be better then HS? Adult life could be better the HS?
    Gee, I fell so much better now!
    And please – that lady’s just stupid. I’m pretty sure I’ll be glad to spend my money on something that will make my daughter/son more comfortable around his friends at school. Kids and (specially) teenagers can be MEAN!
    Way to go, really. You’re pretty much my hero 🙂

• January 13, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Gabriela – I’m so glad that I reassured you that high school is not the happiest time of everyone’s life! I must say that college was 10X better so I hope you reconsider going. And adult life is 1 million times better than either, even though my insecurities still surface from time to time. I suppose I am a constant work in progress? You are too kind to say that I am your hero…it means a lot so thank you.

64. January 11, 2011 2:17 pm

ahem.
    nice job with the twinkle toes. its really a sad story but it’s so painfully true that when people are in school (especially middle school- WAY worse than high school, imo, it’s the “things” that get kids liked.) what a world.
    maya seems like a spunky girl. i think she’ll be all right.

65. January 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Well, they are totally cute so what is that lady’s problem?

I’m with you, school can be tough…if the request isn’t outrageous I would totally go for it too!

BTW, it took me forever to discover the magic of the blow dryer too. I really feel my social life would have been dramatically different had I known!!

66. January 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Popped in to say hi! I despised high school. Acne, braces, bob…shuddering. And the clothes…oh the clothes. All I have to say is my mom picked them out.

67. January 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Ameena, I nominated you for a Stylish Blog Award!

68. January 11, 2011 3:34 pm

Yeah… totally to Mall Lady… serious raspberries blown at her. Like you Ameena, I saw plenty of ugly stuff in the way of bullying happen at school (its a growing issue & I imagine should I ever become a parent I would be increasingly worried about whats happening to my kid when they were there). I vote for you sensible attitude & quite frankly, I kinda think those shoes are very cool…, I’d wear ’em 🙂

69. January 11, 2011 5:00 pm

As someone IN highschool, it can be quite tough. I’m lucky to have fabulous friends though. I don’t know what I’d do without em’ ❤

70. January 11, 2011 5:11 pm

I totally agree with you. If I can afford it I get my kids twinkle toe shoes or whatever else the other kids are wearing on their feet (thank God for uniforms) but I draw the line on getting them every toy they want, just because so and so has it. And I don’t feel bad, I just don’t do playdates!
    My kids wont ever know what they are missing 😉

71. January 11, 2011 6:04 pm

Your answer ” I would, totally, they are so pretty. I would buy myself a pair too if they made it that big” 🙂

72. January 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Ameena, I have a little award waiting for you on my blog!

73. January 12, 2011 3:45 am

Goodness…this is a great post. Not just because some seasons of our lives are about HOW TO GRACEFULLY ENDURE, and how we can then attempt to redeem those seasons in other relationships or further down the road. I still try and get “validated” in ways to compensate for a hell-i-fic middle school year. And I KNOW that I will cringe when my kid hits those crazy making years.
    and yet….she will be liked. by you, if not by the world. Not because you bought her the shoes, but because she shines.
    Now…free yourself up to buy YOU some shoes…or if you need a charity case…ME!

74. January 12, 2011 4:31 am

uh oh — i think i duplicated priyanka’s award! i guess you’re just DOUBLY stylin’ 🙂

love the post. i think i probably will go overboard and buy my kids what they want because i SO did not get what i wanted growing up (think: coke bottle glasses — i would ask for contacts EVERY DAY) and am slightly scarred as a result.

75. January 12, 2011 6:53 am

I take the view that if someone LOVED middle and/or high school, that person and I could never, ever, ever get along!
    It’s not quite that dramatic, and I find it ironic that I now teach high school kids, most of whom are pretty well-adjusted, an idea that seems totally foreign to me. On the whole, they are nerds, but they are ALL nerds. So, there you go.
    As for parenting – I have no idea how parents can resist the pressure, not only from their kids but from everything else.

76. January 12, 2011 8:48 am

I died laughing at the Southwest airlines metaphor! So true, couldn’t agree more. Ughhh I hated high school too- especially because I had strict parents that never let me go to parties/allowed me to be in the car with friends who’d had their licenses for less than a year/always nagged me whenever I was out to see where I was/who I was with/when I would be back.

77. January 12, 2011 9:29 am

A belated Happy New Year to you. I loved reading your posts after a few weeks of hiatus. I could not help laughing after reading the previous post. In my opinion – Women are more productive but men take more credit. Twinkle toes! My daughter got a pair for a gift this past Christmas – ha ha – she has to wait for a little while to fit into bigger shoes. I did not know it was the IN thing. Hope they are comfy and they have my size because I really feel like wearing them.

78. January 12, 2011 10:38 am

My God, you have a lot of blog friends. Jeez. (Do I envy much?)

I agree with you about the importance of fitting in. I have already thought about how I’m going to handle it. My mother couldn’t afford much for me, but she didn’t realize that I’d rather have gotten my Bongo jeans than most of the other Christmas presents under the tree, and that is the key. I do think some things are ridiculous amounts of money, but I plan to make a deal with my children so that they understand the value of a dollar and don’t become spoiled. I really, really think I will have failed if my kids are not grateful for what we have.

But Southwest? It’s not that bad. (But then again, I’ve never ridden in first class! So it beats all the other airlines, for me.)

79. January 12, 2011 11:57 pm

I’d never heard of Twinkle Toes before but I can see why they’d be so appealing to little kids – so sparkly and girly and blingy! Very nice. 😉

80. January 13, 2011 12:44 pm

You are such a great Mom, and the lady at the mall either has no children or has miserable ones!
    As for high school I actually liked it or at least better than formers school year. I liked it because I am so tall and finally there were a few boys as tall or even taller 😉 However I was still a nerd… My niece who just started high school lives with me now and I try to make sure she has the goods. I am from LA area but I tell you the beach areas are pretty harsh on kids too.

81. Kath (Eating for Living) permalink
    January 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Kids can be so cruel, and today I think my schooltime was the worst time of my life. I hated all 13 years of it, and I’m glad I’ve survived somehow. If you can do anything to support Maya, then do it. I think it’s worth it because school time can break you. I also think that you’ll be able to get Maya to know that it’s just a pair of shoes, actually. But it makes life easier to have it. Sheesh, what times do we live in?!

82. January 14, 2011 8:43 am

It is tough being a kid. We do what we need to, to get them through.

83. January 14, 2011 11:01 am

Love the shoes, love your vulnerability in this one and love the MYOB at the end! Well said, Mama and I couldn’t agree more! XO

84. January 14, 2011 12:19 pm

honestly, those shoes are so cute, i would buy a pair in a second. do they come in adult sizes?! i am serious. i’m not a parent yet but i think there are some things you put your foot down about because they mean something to you. if sparkly toes aren’t one of those things, who cares?! it’s not like you bought her 5 inch wedge heels or something, jeeze.

85. January 14, 2011 11:10 pm

Oh my gosh! What a rude sales lady! I’d have bopped her so hard with those shoes that she’d be seeing rhinestones in her sleep! I think the shoes are cute! They remind me of Punky Brewster!

86. January 19, 2011 4:41 am

fyi. i know you hate having maya do what the others do but TO THIS DAY I still remember how I felt when my mom bought me CHEAP crayons and not the crayola ones.

87. February 23, 2011 1:58 pm

I agree. Looking back I realize how strange middle and high school was. I guess it’s mainly because you’re still figuring out who you are and what you want. I’ve enjoyed reading through your blog. You’re a strong writer. Take care.

1. trying too hard «