i am over it…

January 3, 2011

Aside from the fact that I refuse to back up my iPhone and computer and then I go crying to Ali the minute it seems my data is lost forever, I’m damn near perfect. And thus I really don’t have any use for New Year resolutions.

Right Ali? Right.

Seriously though, am I the only one who is already sick of hearing Dr. Oz and Suze Orman wax on and on about how, in 2011, we need to stop eating white bread and start assigning 20% of our paychecks to our 401k?

Forgive me if I’m a bit jaded when it comes to New Year’s resolutions, but I have zero patience with all of the TV “experts” who keep trying to shove them down my throat.

Resolution #2 - Stop being cheap and get my hair done more often...Resolution #3 - Stop being lazy and use a proper camera instead of my iPhone.

I don’t need an expert to tell me that if 2011 is going to be a productive year for me I must focus on one thing and one thing only…I must not use others’ accomplishments as a benchmark for my own success and happiness.

So there it is. My New Year’s Resolution. I need to stop wishing I was as smart, as pretty, as successful, as focused, as patient as my friend/neighbor/doctor/brother/Ali is and start being more productive instead. It’s a tall order to fill but I am pretty sure I can do it.

Now I just need to turn off Dr. Phil so I can get started…

1. January 3, 2011 1:38 am

Get Dr Phil away from thee girlfriend, Doom & Gloom I tell ya, doom & gloom 🙂 On a more serious note though, last year I made the “don’t measure myself by others success” rah rah etc etc on my ‘intentions’ (oh go on…, you know we do whatever we have to, to trick our minds into thinking there actually is an option here!!!!).., but I digress. Last year I made a huge decision to STOP focusing on others ‘way more fabulous than me’ type successes & somehow I managed to do it. Now I think I’m possibly overly self centred & not nearly complimentary enough to even notice others achievements (yep, there’s a down side apparently) & possibly could now be achieved as Ummm, sorta selfish… just a little bit ;(
    But…., mission accomplished & I’m a happier gal because of it. This years ‘intentions’ …., well…., I’ve got a list & its brewing (or fermenting)… either way I haven’t decided.
    Have an awesome year all the same Ameena!

2. January 3, 2011 2:29 am

Stop watching TV shows that confirm, yes…you are human….and yes, you need me to tell you how to breathe right.
    Now…I like Dr. Oz. This year I am resolving to make my poo more S shape. HA! I am going to blog about this too!

3. January 3, 2011 3:57 am

I think you have this goal in the bag.

4. January 3, 2011 4:11 am

yep i’m so with you on this. i hate new years’ resolutions. always have. i like your goal though (who ever thought to call it a RESOLUTION? so dumb) . i always try to set mini goals for myself throughout the year- if i set one for the entire year, there’s no way i’m going to remember it by august even, much less do it.
    your hair is so pretty Ameena 🙂
    hope you had a good new year!

5. January 3, 2011 4:14 am

Amen Sister!! 🙂 I totally don’t do resolutions and I get so frustrated by all the “experts” on TV telling me what to do!

6. January 3, 2011 5:33 am

well i think your pretty awesome just as is. but “I must not use others’ accomplishments as a benchmark for my own success and happiness.” is what i tried to do semi-successfully at the end of 2010 and definitely noticed an upswing in my mood. lets keep the ball rolling this year chica 🙂

7. January 3, 2011 5:36 am

I don’t watch any of those guys so they are unable to ram anything down my throat (some good advice in there).

I love your hair and would take a pic of it to my cutter person (can’t say stylist because she ain’t that) so she can replicate it. The camera thing; if it’s an iPhone you should be able to change the settings so the pictures turn out really nice. They’re not the price they are for nuthin.

No resolutions, Dudette. That’s my motto for 2011.

8. January 3, 2011 5:54 am

If I put 20% of my paycheck away towards retirement, I think I’d currently be living in a box. But at least I’d have money when I was 65 (if I didn’t die in one of the Chicago winters in my box before then).

Happy New Year, my dear! I’m so glad I have had the opportunity to get to know you over the last year… and wish you and your family the best in 2011!

9. January 3, 2011 6:25 am

Bravo! I agree that, if you do make resolutions, they should be for you – and you only. Who cares what Dr. Phil says!

10. January 3, 2011 6:42 am

They can say what they want, but we’re in charge of our own lives. We make the call if we want to be effected (or affected?) by their word by not eating or putting all out our money in our 401K or turning the TV off.

Good luck with your resolution!

11. January 3, 2011 7:12 am

Ooooh, your hair looks so pretty!

I agree– I hate those Oprah “experts”– ugh.

12. January 3, 2011 7:32 am

What a fabulous resolution. I can’t agree more. You know, I love me, and I love my life, so it sucks when I might compare something about myself with someone else and then all of the sudden I am not satisfied with my life. That is one of the reasons why I find competitiveness so ugly, and I hate contests and stuff. Especially amongst women. I think we should be helping each other, not tearing each other down.
    I second your resolution daaahling, and I include the following mantra: I love me, I am fab!

13. January 3, 2011 7:37 am

you’re the best. Happy New Year!!!

14. January 3, 2011 8:03 am

The hair looks fantastic in that picture, I love it!

I have to work on not letting others accomplishments and successes make me feel inferior or like I’m doing something wrong. We’re all different. Rather than internalizing these things, I’m working on being happy for others and setting personal goals for myself.

15. January 3, 2011 8:09 am

WOW!

This is exactly what I need to do. Exactly. Why does it have to be so hard?

16. January 3, 2011 8:09 am

EEek…maybe I should back up my phone. Hope yoru data isn’t lost forever. 20% to 401k!! I’d starve.

17. January 3, 2011 8:22 am

I’ve never made a resolution, never will. Here’s to 2011 being productive 🙂
    PS- I adore you.

18. January 3, 2011 8:22 am

Happy New Year! I love the hair! I have to say – I have to stop the comparison game myself! This year – I’m a do me. 🙂

19. January 3, 2011 8:24 am

I’m sick of hearing New Year’s resolutions in general. I feel like I’m the only one who doesn’t write a list and tack it to my fridge. And Dr. Oz thinks everything is going to kill us, so we’re screwed either way.

Also, I want your hair. Yes, that goes against everything you just said but it’s true: You have awesome, thick hair.

20. January 3, 2011 8:24 am

I love your hair in the picture Ameena! I like watching Dr. Oz, I take what I like and leave the rest. I am very good at filtering information 😉

Happy New Year to you and your family!

21. January 3, 2011 8:41 am

Love this, Ameena. And I think it’s something most of us probably need to work on, lol! By the way, your haircut is gorgeous!!

22. January 3, 2011 8:43 am

Dr. Phil does not have a PhD. I wish I could be a doctor w/o having to go to med school…

23. January 3, 2011 8:46 am

Funny… I totally did a New Years Resolution post/parody today too… I think the best thing is to just be ourselves perfect as we all are and not listening to anyone who is trying to tell us otherwise.

24. January 3, 2011 9:05 am

we’re all perfect in our own way-and do things in our own way and that’s perfectly fine! Dr. Phil=shoot me now! 😉

25. Leslie permalink
    January 3, 2011 9:36 am

1. Your hair looks beautiful, in person and in photos.
    2. You are wise in to look inward for your benchmarks instead of outward – bravo!

And if I may add something I read over the holidays… humans are heliotropic (I think that’s the adjective) meaning we turn toward the sun for to live, to thrive, to bask in its warmth. You, my dear, area a Sun, gifting out Glowing Rays. imho.

26. January 3, 2011 9:36 am

Dr. Phil depresses me, that’s why I gave up on him a long time ago and tuned into Ellen instead. She’s more “happy happy joy joy” 😀
    I love your new haircut Ameena! I think I beat you in the cheap department though cause when your mom owns her own salon and you still refuse to get your hair done right, that’s cheap. Ok, probably more lazy and stupid, but either way, you get my point. Great, now I’m cheap, lazy, and stupid. Bring it, 2011! Lol. Way to start out the new year right with a beautiful hair cut Ameena! You’ve just inspired me to get off my lazy arse and do the same. I don’t make new years resolutions anymore, but I think I just made one. See how inspiring you are?

27. January 3, 2011 9:45 am

that is one of the best resolutions i have heard.

your picture looks stylish, was it taken intentionally or did it turn out to be like that ?

• January 4, 2011 10:06 am

Thank you for the compliment! Ali randomly took the picture with his iPhone…

28. January 3, 2011 10:57 am

your hair looks amazing; you’re worth treating yourself on getting it done. I’m so sick of the same story over and over again about new years resolutions on TV and the repetition of the same things! it doesn’t change year-to-year!

29. January 3, 2011 10:58 am

First, love your hair!

Second, and more importantly, love your “goal”. I find it’s better when we keep our goals short, simple, and focused on what truly matters. It’s not a “to-do” list, right? We should be excited about the new year, not treating it like an appointment book!

30. January 3, 2011 11:42 am

My system crashed on the 1st day of 2011. I wonder if thats a bad omen. I never really go for “new year resolutions ” really. I think we plan things in the long term and take the short term things as they come. We hardly ever accomplish our new year resolutions ….at least I don’t. Backing up is a good thing to do though and I always think i will do it every time my system crashes …yet once its back up I i hardly every do it :p

31. January 3, 2011 12:08 pm

I know all those “tv experts” are supposed to help and motivate us…. but I agree… they really mess with my daily progress! and productivity! grrr!

I wish I could wake up one day and be super self motivated to tackle the world. I’m not sure an “expert” can make that happen? if they could i’d be dr. oz and dr. phil-ing it up daily!

ahhhh whats a girl to do!?

xoXOxo
    jenn

ps: holy hair batman! you’ve got so much style/volume! love it! ❤

32. January 3, 2011 12:31 pm

THANK YOU! Man, I couldn’t even turn on the TV today because I don’t feel like listening to what I should be doing this year.

Jen

33. January 3, 2011 1:14 pm

Competitive sports and academics are toxic to my progress with benchmarks! I think your intentions (and “intentions” sound much less abused than “goals”) are mighty and within reach. It is so difficult to avoid the ugly comparison beast and I’m first in line for tips, but I have realized one very important thing in exploring these “intentions”…
    There is so little space for expressing vulnerability when you are chasing excellence. Something I have realized is that almost everyone I know who I believe to be amazing has a bit of imposter syndrome. Some are better than others at hiding it. So maybe on top of ridding ourselves of metrics, we could aim to make more space within which to be vulnerable, honest and scared. Feeling insecure/inadequate from time to time is definitely ok. Feeling insecure/inadequate ALONE is not.
    That said, Happy New Year and let’s work together to make this one happen!

34. January 3, 2011 1:25 pm

Lovin’ the new picture, hot stuff!

Best resolution I’ve read….seriously.

35. January 3, 2011 1:40 pm

I love your resolution!

and also I love your fixed hair – mine would NEVER do that!!!

happy new year!

36. January 3, 2011 1:41 pm

Dr. Phil is annoying. And you will rock at your resolution. I already see that coming. But the hair thing, um yeah, I really need to get in and get something done with mine.

37. January 3, 2011 2:18 pm

That’s the best resolution!! I think I’ll do the same 🙂 And we love Dr. Phil over here. It’s an addiction thing… ironically.

38. January 3, 2011 2:18 pm

The problem with all these resolution-touting talking heads is that they make life sounds so damned boring. And practical, sensible, plodding…..If I want little revolutions in my own life, I’m more likely to make changes on a whim than because of a calender date. Definitely not a fan of New Year’s advice!

39. January 3, 2011 2:56 pm

That is the best resolution I’ve heard yet. Comparing yourself to other people just causes unnecessary stress. Besides, you’re awesome exactly as you are. 🙂

40. January 3, 2011 3:26 pm

GREAT resolution! Comparing is never productive 🙂

41. January 3, 2011 3:43 pm

You are BEAUTIFUL! Way more productive than me, so don’t even think about it! 🙂 Ah yes, Dr. Oz – I’ve stopped watching him awhile ago – I didn’t think I’d be able to move or drink or eat or talk or do anything ever again if I kept listening…scary and I don’t need that 😉

I didn’t get this via email – I changed it to my new blog email address and I’m having serious problems with that one, so I think I’ll change the email address again – so all can be normal again! 🙂

42. Kath (Eating for Living) permalink
    January 3, 2011 4:41 pm

I don’t believe in resolutions so much. It’s a good thing to have some goals in mind for orientation, but resolutions of the “from now on I’ll …” kind are just counterproductive. So not what you want. 😉

43. January 3, 2011 5:24 pm

I like that resolution. Can I snag it too? 😀 And I have to say, if that’s your hair on a bad day, I’m afraid for you to see mine on a good one!

44. January 3, 2011 5:32 pm

I’ve been back to eating white bread and I like it.

I hope you have a really productive 2011! You can do it!

45. January 3, 2011 5:42 pm

I’m with you on the hair thing. I know we have had this conversation before. I seriously just had my hair cut for the first time in like 9 months. I have been too afraid to let a local do it on the island so the last time I cut it was when I was in the states. It seriously has looked like crap for the past few months, but I just could not bring myself to do it…until the other day when I was out and about in town. She really did an awesome job. Oh well, glad I can rant to you about my hair issues.

46. January 3, 2011 5:46 pm

Your hair looks great! Happy New year to you. I like the word perseverance myself. It doesn’t have to be thought about just one day of the year.

47. January 3, 2011 7:33 pm

Girl, I don’t know what you’re talking about.. your hair is GORGEOUS!

48. January 3, 2011 9:24 pm

first of all I love your new pic! second of all…I hate Dr.Phil..he’s annoying as hell! Dr. Oz has been getting on my nerves with his no white diet too…a girl’s gotta have some white stuff sometimes! I think you are perfect..and no need for any silly resolutions! 🙂

49. January 3, 2011 10:32 pm

Your hair looks gorgeous! I’ve always told myself that I’d get my hair done more often too but it’s a combination of being cheap and lazy that prevents me from doing so 😛

50. January 3, 2011 10:39 pm

I don’t have a 401k because I’m married to a man who does. I figure you only need one responsible person in a relationship. The other gets to be the fun one and friend, with that new hair, you look way more fun than Ali! 🙂 Happy new year to your darling family!

51. January 3, 2011 11:45 pm

You can totally accomplish your goal for the year (and for life!). I have the utmost confidence in you. And coming from a person who can still smile after sitting alone on New Years due to a blizzard and negative degree weather, I think you can believe me. 🙂

As for “the other people,” I’m not a huge fan of talk shows or “experts” out there. I think every has something different that works for them in every aspect of their lives. If people find what works for them, that’s all they’ll need to get through life. Stick to what you know and what you love, I say, and don’t worry about what other people are doing.

Happy New Year…for what feels like the tenth time. 🙂

52. January 3, 2011 11:54 pm

I hate the lawyer/attorney ads..I abhor the TV shop ads, I detest the ” you are approved for compensation ” ads and with these new preachers of well being as Suez Orman..I have had it more than enough.Every time they flash on screen..my guy shouts..” go n take care of your life first ” and leave mine to myself & we share a hearty laugh 🙂
    My new year resolution is to not to make dessert for a month..and I know that I will not survive even 10 days! I really love the way you paired magenta [my fav color] with black 🙂 Looks cool!
    Thanks for the sweet comments on my page!

53. January 4, 2011 6:20 am

first of all, I love your hair! it looks so nice in that pic 🙂
    2nd. if i put 20% of my paycheck i would be able to afford to feed myself when im 80, and not when im 30- so i try not to beat myself up over not doing so.. lol
    3rd. you are human, so do the best you can for yourself and not for anyone else.

54. January 4, 2011 7:54 am

I just labeled this post “inspiration” in my Reader because this is quite possibly the smartest thing I have read this month! So wise you are, Obi Wan.

He was the wise one, right? I’ve never actually gotten through the whole movie.

55. January 4, 2011 9:32 am

you are awesome just how you are (what is wrong with your hair…it’s gorgeous)

I love this…I just wish I wasn’t addicted to challenges and goal setting.

it’s insanity.

but than again my goals are MINE and finally not the mainstream Dr. Phil ones!

yay for progress!

Happy New Year Ameena!

ps…Obi Wan was a great and wise Jedi Master…however Yoda was the wisest of them all.
    😉

I have boys!

56. January 4, 2011 11:15 am

Well I can’t eat traditional white bread since I can’t eat gluten and I don’t have a job so I can’t have a 401K…anything else I need to worry about? 😉

57. January 4, 2011 11:38 am

Well said. Agree with you 100%!

58. January 4, 2011 12:33 pm

I love your focus item! I think sometimes people get so caught up in specific measurable resolutions that they forget the bigger picture of what they need on a day to day basis to be more happy, especially since happiness doesn’t come with a clear ruler.

59. January 4, 2011 1:17 pm

Amen. Comparing ourselves to others is a sure way to ruin friendships/relationships and to feel pretty miserable. You should start your own television show. I would watch it 🙂 I hope you are doing well. Thank you for all your sweet words on my blog. Your comments truly mean so much to me because I think the world of you!

60. January 4, 2011 3:05 pm

Love this. I am not a fan of resolutions either, but I do agree that we must all focus on ourselves, our own productivity and goals and happiness, rather than those of others… Good luck and Happy New Year, Ms. Perfect 🙂

61. January 4, 2011 4:30 pm

Wow!! Not using other the accomplishments of others as a benchmark for yourself. That applies to me too — more than I’d like to admit. Happy New Year!

62. January 4, 2011 4:38 pm

“Resolution #3 – Stop being lazy and use a proper camera instead of my iPhone.” …..something else to add to my new year’s resolutions!

63. January 4, 2011 10:25 pm

Now do any of these people have such an awesome blog?? No! (well i don’t know but…)! You’re well on your way to success my dear! I can feel it 🙂

64. January 5, 2011 6:45 am

I can’t watch any of those kinds of shows without rolling my eyes. Yuck. Yes, we can make our own decisions about our lives, whether we want to put money in our IRAs or eat white bread or whatever. One of the many reasons why we don’t have TV…

65. January 5, 2011 7:30 am

hey ameena, i really like this picture of you. i cant imagine that this is your bad hair day. i would kill for hair like that!

66. January 5, 2011 11:58 am

I love your resolution! It is so true! 🙂

67. January 5, 2011 6:20 pm

Stay away from thems TV personalities, Ameena – they sell sensation, not common sense! I also get sick of people on TV hawking the latest in how to “improve” yourself – I like myself just fine, thank you very much! I want any changes to be self-directed, not because someone “told” me to do something. Pshaw 🙂

By the way, your hair is gorgeous, you hot mama you! What am I saying?? YOU are gorgeous, Ameena, awesome hair or not! Here’s to a 2011 of happiness 🙂

68. January 5, 2011 7:51 pm

Well darling, if you’re anything like me, you won’t turn Dr. Oz off because he’s cute, colon shots and all!
    Good for you for knowing who you are.
    And that Suze Orman, she can blow me and her financial advice. I’m quite happy being in debt, thank you very much!

69. January 6, 2011 12:15 am

Good resolution. I hate making resolutions myself. But I do like making little goals to keep me motivated. Boy do I need motivation sometimes. 🙂

70. January 8, 2011 1:07 pm

1. I SO agree about Doctor Oz and Suze Orman. Suze’s hair scares me to death, and Dr. Oz preaches ridiculous crap. Like eating a slice of wheat bread with a tablespoon of olive oil on it before each meal. If that isn’t appetite killing, I don’t know what is.

2. In that snap, you definitely have Superior Hair. I am just loving it.

71. January 8, 2011 9:14 pm

You should also resolve to stop watching that TV Dr! Of course… I’m in love with Dr. Drew, but enough about me. LOL

72. March 15, 2012 11:32 pm

True, agree with you about the benchmark.
    I make resolutions every day for the next 365 days, never once materialized, hehe.

Reading your post, I remembered a friend’s status message that I really liked:
    “Every year you make resolution to change yourself, this year make a resolution to be yourself.”

🙂