I Spent 6 Hours With Leo Di Caprio.

November 29, 2010

Celebrities usually don’t impress me.

I am far more impressed with people like Anuradha Koirala, an amazing lady who has saved more than 12,000 women from slavery and who was just honored as CNN’s Hero of the Year.  Or junk bond king Michael Milken.  He didn’t save anyone and yet he fascinates me just the same.

Anyway there I was, trying to minimize Q & A time with Maya on our flight back from NYC by jamming in my ear phones and settling in to watch Inception when I realized that the star of the movie himself was sitting behind me.

Despite his reluctance, Ali was nice enough (and inconspicuous enough) to take this photo with his iPhone. Per my insistence.

I have been a huge fan of Leo’s from back when he was on Growing Pains.  I even dragged my sister to What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.  Twice.  If that’s not a dedicated fan I don’t know what is.

Minutes after landing in L.A. I hit to the gym to escape Ali, Maya, cleaning, piles of work, an inbox full of emails, and the feeling that another blood clot was going to form in my arm any second.

I was further ruining my arthritic knee on the dreadmill while watching a CNN special about Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction when guess who climbs onto the dreadmill next to me?  Yes, Janet Jackson.

No picture, for obvious reasons.

My star-filled morning is now over and I’m addressing the reality of being back in much-hated Los Angeles.  This includes finding proof that my family completely disregards my hatred for zoos and is a bunch of liars…

Per Ali: "No, we didn't go to the zoo while you were at Bloomingdale's." Per Maya: "We ran out of time, Mama."

And that I live with a bunch of slobs.

Are three knives really necessary when preparing two pieces of toast? Really?

Home Sweet Home.  Or something like that.

1. November 29, 2010 3:59 am

Wow! A Leo DiCaprio and Janet Jackson sighting. An odd combination but I’m jealous.

2. November 29, 2010 4:17 am

Ahhhhh, I LOVE him!!!!!! I would have died!!!

3. Jen permalink
    November 29, 2010 4:24 am

OH. MY. GOD. I can’t believe you actually see these celebrities, let alone ‘hob-nob’ with them. Your life is incredulous – and what gym do you go to?! LOL.

Oh, and how is Ms. Jackson looking? 🙂

• November 29, 2010 3:53 pm

She looks great! She seems very nice and friendly but shy.

4. November 29, 2010 4:36 am

i just can TOTALLY picture you making Ali snap that picture of Leo with his phone awkwardly on the plane. what a great mental image you conjured up there 🙂
    going to the gym right after getting off a plane from NY is pretty impressive Ameena, not gonna lie.
    Well NYC misses you and it told me that you were a very good visitor and please come back anytime . The economy especially liked you- oh and the staff at bloomingdales, of course
    😉

5. November 29, 2010 4:40 am

O.M.G!!!! I would’ve lost my marbles! So cool!

p.s. love your new header 🙂

6. November 29, 2010 5:08 am

I have only ever seen a celebrity when at a concert. LOL

And the things daddies and their daughters do behind our backs. I know Peter + M get into things when I’m not around. I fear the things she ate and played with while I was gone a few weekends ago.

7. Anna Johnston permalink
    November 29, 2010 5:24 am

Celebrities….., not so much (cooked for too many of ’em to get too excited about them) but WOW…, going to the gym straight after getting off a plane ….., now that’s impressive girlfriend 🙂

8. November 29, 2010 5:53 am

Janet Jackson, eh OK. But I officially hate you for flying with Leonardo DiCaprio. The 15-year-old in me is supremely jealous. I may have to break out my old Leo photo binder to cry over. 🙂

9. November 29, 2010 5:57 am

LEO! that’s awesome. Janet! very cool.

At least you got your taste of the east coast 🙂

10. November 29, 2010 5:57 am

Lol, I love that you made Ali snap the pic of Leo! What are hubbies for, right? 😉

11. November 29, 2010 6:01 am

That is awesome. I think I would have started watching Inception, then turned casually to him and say “love your work”.

Ok, maybe not…. but still.

And Janet Jackson… that’s just too weird!

12. November 29, 2010 6:31 am

No freaking way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am well jealous daaaahling!
    p.s. guess who i saw when i was in NYC???? Nigella Lawson! I took some sneaky pics on my iphone too.

13. November 29, 2010 6:52 am

omg i would have jumped his bones. no joke.

14. November 29, 2010 6:53 am

So cool!! I feel like the cap and sunglasses only bring more attention to celebrities, no?!

15. November 29, 2010 6:55 am

I love Leo so much! How exciting!

Andy went out to dinner recently and start right next to Neil Patrick Harris. I asked him to take a picture but he wouldn’t! 😦

16. November 29, 2010 7:08 am

Sounds like a pretty cool morning! I love when coincidences pile up on top of each other.

I can’t believe they went to the Zoo given your views on it! But even more so, I can’t believe they kept the receipt – sounds like they wanted to get caught.

A real criminal would have destroyed the evidence.

17. November 29, 2010 7:24 am

If I was on the plane with him? I would’ve been peeking around my seat and waving like a little kid. Ridiculous, I know.

Ah, home sweet home. When we’re away, we can’t wait to get back…and then we get back and everything goes back to the way it was. And we think about getting away from it all again 😉

18. November 29, 2010 7:39 am

Being from a small city, we don’t see celebrities much so I don’t know how I’d act if I saw one. I don’t think they impress me much (with the exception of one ;-)). I think celebrities really appreciate it when people just give them their space and the privacy they deserve, so kudos to you. Gotta love the iPhone!

Glad you guys made it home safely!

19. November 29, 2010 7:41 am

I am not usually impressed by celebrities either. When I see people who CRY when they meet their favourite celebrity and basically have a heart attack, I feel a weird combination of annoyance and an urge to laugh out loud. However, I am also a fan of Leo…and I never usually see celebrities in Toronto so I may have been a little starstruck if I saw him. Not to the point of tears or (the horror) asking for an autograph…but it would be pretty cool 🙂

20. November 29, 2010 7:42 am

God he’s hot!

21. November 29, 2010 7:44 am

I have a serious crush on Leo. It only got heightened with Inception – or was that a dream within a dream? 🙂

22. November 29, 2010 8:05 am

Hmm, it’s funny the feeling of excitement one gets about seeing a celebrity. I saw that lady that was in the movie ‘Role Models’ and she’s on that series everyone loves-‘Glee’ I think…
    Anyway, I got all excited about seeing her at Whole Foods (smile). I never thought I would get like that either. Weird. I wish I was more like you and excited over people who actually do something…:)

23. November 29, 2010 8:08 am

I’m so jealous you got to see Leo Di Caprio in person! I was his huge fan when he was in Growing Pains as well also when he was in his teens 🙂
    What a rare occasion to see 2 celebrities on the same day!

LOL, I think I also used 3 knives to prepare a toast..one for the jam, one for pb and one for the cheese spread…don’t wanna have cross contamination 😛

24. November 29, 2010 8:14 am

Wha’ts not to love about LA? You get to live with the stars!! Yeah, they are just people so I personally will not go gaga over them but they are also in our TV’s so you kinda can’t help but be a bit fascinated. Hope the rest of your NY trip was a blast. And this post reminds me. I need to go to the gym myself. Maybe if Janet Jackson agrees to be my work out buddy I will.

25. November 29, 2010 8:19 am

Haha hilarious! I wonder if he tuned in to watch the movie? hmmmm

26. November 29, 2010 8:33 am

how awesome is that! you should have traded seats with whoever was with him and quized him on the movie 🙂

hey at least maya and ali didnt drag you to the zoo. they waited til you were preoccupied 🙂

27. November 29, 2010 8:37 am

Sweet neck pillow Leo!

And LOL at hating zoos. I hate them too! I call them animal jail. 😦

28. November 29, 2010 8:43 am

lucky youuuu! my sister would have flipped, she’s IN LOVE with Leo. I am going to send her a link to your blog!

29. November 29, 2010 8:47 am

You made Ali to click the photo of Leo that is wonderful.

30. November 29, 2010 9:24 am

But did you say “I loved you in Gilbert Grape”? Inquiring minds want to know.

• November 30, 2010 7:29 pm

No I said…nothing. I have a weird thing about talking to celebrities. I just can’t get myself to do it!

31. November 29, 2010 9:29 am

LEO! That’s it. I’m on the verge of inviting myself to LA. I’m not a huge celebrity crazed person either, but I’d be a far of sitting by Leo for six hours.

Hope the trip was amazing! I’m sure Maya enjoyed the adventure.

32. November 29, 2010 10:03 am

Holy crap. Remind me to fly from NYC to LA more often. That is so funny that he was right behind you. So nice of Ali to take a pic for you (and the rest of us to see).

33. November 29, 2010 10:06 am

WHAT?!? I’m jealous, you were that close to Leo. Sigh. I would have been staring at him the whole flight. Forget the movie stare at the real thing. Hahaha… Been a fan since those growing pains days, too. I was close to working on Inception last year as a background actor, but I didn’t get in. Oh well…

It’s funny how you were about to watch Inception and he was right behind you. Then watching Janet Jackson on CNN and then she pops right up next to you. What are the odd of that happening twice in one day? Glad you guys made it back safe. Back to the craziness of LA. 🙂

34. November 29, 2010 10:26 am

Two celebrity sightings so close together? You should buy a lottery ticket! And for what it’s worth, I really like your knives 🙂

35. November 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Talk coincidences..two sightings in one day..is that a perk of living in LA? I have to agree with The Lawyer, your knives are quite nice! No wonder three of them were required 😉

36. November 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Back in the day, I went to a taping of Growing Pains and have a picture and autograph of Le0 Dicaprio.

Jen

37. November 29, 2010 12:07 pm

Im pretty sure I would have peed myself on BOTH occasions! That is so awesome. 🙂

38. November 29, 2010 12:40 pm

I used to be obsessed with Leo during the Titanic days!

39. November 29, 2010 1:48 pm

I’ve seen every single movie Leo has been in. Love the guy!

40. November 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Lucky! Imagine two such big stars in such a short span. And one you love so much too! Yay for you!

41. November 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Wow I can’t believe you were within touching range of Leo AND Janet! I wonder what Janet was thinking (if/when) she had seen you watching a special on her lol. I am always too scared to talk to celebrities (unless I’m at Comic Con or something) when I see them in real life.

42. Leslie permalink
    November 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Leo! Wow, how exciting for you. It looks in the photo like there’s a guy’s boots in the seat next to his. I thought he’d be accompanied by a supermodel for Thanksgiving, wouldn’t you? Was he with an entourage or truly incognito & incommunicado?

JJ – wow, I thought she’s have a private gym at her home!

You are the Jet Setter, aren’t you?

• December 1, 2010 9:11 am

Leo was with his mom and some friend (aka boot guy). No pretty girlfriend in sight surprisingly!!

43. November 29, 2010 5:19 pm

I think I just let out a squeal while reading this. I love Leo! How did you restrain yourself? I would have been dying to go over and talk with him, get his autograph, I don’t know, something! And I gotta say, I never EVER treadmill next to anyone nearly as cool or hot as Janet.

44. November 29, 2010 5:22 pm

I love Leo, I would have kept going to the bathroom just so I can look at him numerous times, lol! Actually, I’m quite shy being around celebrities, I act nonchalant and act like they are not there. I’ve seen a few when I’m in L.A….I still get nervous though.

Love the NYC pics, looks like the Xmas lights are up already. Visited NYC this time of year a few years back and I didn’t want to leave Macy’s, because it was cold and I wanted to see every inch of the store and that took awhile.

45. November 29, 2010 6:20 pm

“Maya: We ran out of time mama.”

I just die.

Gold star for not over-oogleing (yes I made up that word, and yes you know what I’m getting at) the celebs as life was busy imitating art.

46. November 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Kudos to you for leaving the poor guy alone. From the pulled down hat and sunglasses on a plane it looks like he wanted it that way! Hate to say it, but Janet Jackson wouldn’t much wow me. I kind of pity her more than anything. No money in the world can make her farked up family situation worth it.

At least your family didn’t try to take you to the zoo, right?

47. nadia permalink
    November 29, 2010 7:39 pm

OMG too funny….see i was meant to finally come back to your site today of all days:) can’t wait to get all the nitty gritty….you know i saw him at katsuya and started tearing up (involuntary)….i love leo!! and janet, too much!! LOVE the new look of the site, just perfect! see you soon!
    XOXOXOXOXO

48. 1lifeabundant permalink
    November 29, 2010 8:41 pm

I don’t like many celebs either, but I like Leo. Good for your husband for being so discreet in snapping the photo. I, on the other hand, would not have been able to contain myself and I would have been over trying to talk to him.

49. November 29, 2010 10:45 pm

You are on the way to stardom yourself! That is the only explanation for all of these celebrity run-ins. I have adored Leo since Growing Pains too. I don’t know how I would have reacted. It would have probably been bad. You handled it far better than I would have. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!

50. November 30, 2010 1:48 am

I’m so jealous!! How fantastic is that? Can we trade lives for one day? But…rewind so I can go to NYC and Bloomingdales then sit in front of Leonardo…pretty please?

51. November 30, 2010 3:56 am

Did you even talk to Leo? I totally would.

• November 30, 2010 8:39 am

No, I didn’t talk to him! I have an unwritten rule that I never both celebrities unless they talk to me first. Which happens…rarely.

52. November 30, 2010 4:54 am

So who was in first class? Both of you, or neither?

LA is quite interesting, it seems.

And the three knives issue is my world. Rather than seeing those, though, I’d see the open bread, open jam, open butter…you get the idea.

53. November 30, 2010 5:44 am

I am so jealous of your sightings!!!!!

The explantation for the three knives would be interesting to hear.

Glad you had a good trip home!

54. November 30, 2010 6:51 am

I don’t get too excited about many actors but Leonardo DiCaprio is my favorite, he’s such a good actor! Thanks for the pic. 😉

55. November 30, 2010 7:19 am

Wow. Two in one day? Very cool! Doesn’t happen here in San Antonio, TX!

56. November 30, 2010 7:38 am

Oh wow!I know they might not impress you much but I cannot even imagine seeing celebrities like that, in a plane or working out in the same place as me!

57. November 30, 2010 10:10 am

I too was a fan of Leo’s since Growing Pains….ahhhh the posters on my bedroom wall back in the day could prove it 🙂

What a fun trip you had!! I am always like “whatever” when I see celebs here in Vancouver or in the airports around but for some reason when they are as big as Leo I would melt!

xxoo

58. November 30, 2010 12:29 pm

I guess you have to be used to celebrity sitings when you live in LA. I always have a hard time realizing that they actually exhist and are not a fragment of my imagination or computer programing. When I see them life I wonder where I know them from and search my brain

59. November 30, 2010 2:37 pm

I learned the whole care-but-pretend-you’re-non-nonchalant shtick with celebrities in my New York days, and by the time I moved to LA, thought little of passing by famous people (though I still got a little rush out of it – something about seeing in reality images that are usually only two dimensional). Kids in my office used to canvass movie stars and come back with funny stories – apparently, you haven’t lived until you’ve tried to sell a B-list actor on saving whales!
    Loved reading your NYC posts, by the way – I got stuck down South due to a temperamental Hyundai and missed yet another NY Thanksgiving!

• November 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Ha, obviously meant nonchalant, though non-nonchalant has a nice cadence to it.

60. November 30, 2010 5:38 pm

I have such respect for that lady! What an incredible person to look up to! A true hero! I really respect Leo as well. Down to earth, so talented and have a cause that is greater than his own self interest!
    Did Janet Jackson know that you were watching her faux pas moment? How awkward! Especially if it was on the main big TV!
    Barbara

• December 1, 2010 8:15 pm

I don’t think she could tell? It was a small television so hopefully not.

61. November 30, 2010 6:55 pm

um…I have no words. He was my first love.

62. November 30, 2010 6:58 pm

OH EM GEE…! Such a star-struck couple of days! I think I watched the DiCaprio/Danes version of Romeo and Juliet several times as an infatuated pre-teen… good times, good times. Glad you got a chance to decompress in NY with your family! 🙂

63. November 30, 2010 10:46 pm

You changed the look of your blog. I like it! So many star sightings. I hear it happens all the time in LA. When I was in Chicago I saw Lisa Ling and I died.

64. December 1, 2010 8:30 am

I am so incredibly jealous! When Titanic came out I was maybe 8 years old or so .. convinced myself and my whole third grade class I was going to marry Leo! I don’t know what I would have done had I seen him on a plane! Probably hyperventilated tehe

65. December 1, 2010 12:09 pm

Gotta love the random (and stellar) celeb encounters. I’ve had my fair share here in NYC and they are always fun and nice reminders of the contingency of this modern world. You never know do you? Love the 3/1 ratio between knives and toast pieces 🙂

Thrilled to have found you and your words!

66. December 1, 2010 5:45 pm

Oh man, you would hate my dish habits–I’m the queen of cups. I use like 5 a day… whoops 😉

67. December 1, 2010 10:49 pm

First off, I’m jealous you sat in first class on a domestic flight.
    Second, Leo went to school with my sister. They were actually good friends and even wrote a sweet message in her year book. But my sister is no giselle or bar or whoever model he’s banging so he never kept in touch.

68. December 2, 2010 12:09 am

He’s so friggin’ cute.

69. December 2, 2010 11:37 am

Hilarious…I live with slobs too! You hate LA? I am in OC and trust me you would miss it dearly 🙂 Did I ever mention that I was born in Hollywood, lol

70. December 2, 2010 4:41 pm

omg I can’t believe they thought they can get away with lying to you! and omgg….love that leo rides REAL planes in the back like us hobos!

71. actorsdiet permalink
    December 2, 2010 4:46 pm

i’ve been a leo fan since growing pains too. i think i may have seen him once when we were hiking.

72. December 3, 2010 9:33 am

Ahhhh that’s so cool! And how funny that you were watching his movie and he happened to be behind you! I wonder, as an actor, if that’s incredibly weird flying and realizing the airline is showing your movie!

The only “celeb” I’ve ever flown with was Ja Rule in an empty business class cabin from Berlin to JFK. And I would have had no clue who he was had I not been flying with an editor for a lifestyles magazine who recognized him! Even funnier, his manager (who was banished to coach) came up midway through the flight to “check on him” and sat next to me and totally started chatting me up, inviting me to their concerts and whatnot. Pretty soon “Ja” joined in, too, and it was one of the funnier flights of my time =)

73. December 4, 2010 9:36 pm

New York is my favorite place in the world. You totally deserved those new boots and skinny jeans 🙂 You gotta look good when you land in NYC!

Jealous you got to see Leo up close and personal. He’s one of the few celebs I’d go gaga over, too.

74. December 5, 2010 1:16 pm

how lucky is that? maybe we should hang out 🙂

75. December 9, 2010 9:11 am

I’m soooo jealous! I LOVE Leo…how did you sit still the entire time! :))

76. December 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Aww. Leo wears one of those neck donuts that I do. We should be together! Was he on Growing Pains? Did I miss something? I don’t remember that.

Cute knives. You should use them to stab the liars in your family.

What serendipity about Leo & JJ.

77. January 11, 2011 12:24 pm

I just wanted to say that I thought about you last night when we watched Inception because I remembered this post. I imagine it would be pretty weird to have your own movie playing in front of you like that, so random. I often wonder what singers do when their song comes on the radio…sing along? change it? nit pick it to death?

(And no, I didn’t think about you in a creepy way..LOL. just kidding! :))

78. zainab permalink
    May 30, 2013 2:32 am

wow…Ameena. had I been in your place(I wish) I would have jumped off my seat and got clicked myself with him. Did you talk to him???

I knw not cool taking pics while working out but I guess I would click a pic anyways;)

• June 3, 2013 8:24 pm

No I didn’t talk to him…tempted but I didn’t do it!

79. August 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Superb, what a website it is! This webpage presents useful facts to
    us, keep it up.

80. October 6, 2014 8:20 pm

Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a
    team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the
    same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You
    have done a marvellous job!

1. Ali Fights Back (Guest Post) «