The In-laws

November 15, 2010

I am fairly certain that no other Indian daughter-in-law has ever said what I’m about to say:

My in-laws are fabulous.

Now before you jump to conclusions – my jaded friends – please note that I am not trying to earn brownie points with them as I am sure they don’t read this blog.  I know this because if they did read my blog they might not be so nice to me, seeing as I make fun of their son on a bi-weekly basis.

Anyway, I had a less than stellar week which drastically improved when my father-in-law handed me a gift card to Net-a-Porter.com.  Just because.  Naturally I had no other choice than to redeem the card in a matter of minutes.

Yes I took another fuzzy picture. But this time I can blame the poor quality on Ali's iPhone as we still don't have a camera.

And naturally I had no choice but to select the gift wrap option.  Because sometimes there is nothing better than receiving a wrapped box in the mail, even if you already know what’s in it.

I won’t ruin my good fortune by mentioning what terrible customer service Net-A-Porter has.  I also won’t lament the fact that I have to return my beautiful but small Tory shoes for a store credit because Net-A-Porter doesn’t have the size I need.

Because mentioning things like that would just be me being ungrateful.  And I am anything but ungrateful.

Right?

1. November 15, 2010 12:35 am

what a lucky woman with a nice *generous* father-in-law!
    i’m jealous! esp b/c i’m addicted to net-a-porter(read: it is to blame for a few bad test grades this year)
    p.s. what’s your email? we should finalize/actually begin planning our date soon.
    🙂

• November 15, 2010 12:37 am

just kidding.
      i stopped being lazy for about two seconds and found your email. i’ll get on that asap.

2. November 15, 2010 3:45 am

Awe. What a nice father-in-law. It’s great when things with the in-laws are good since you’ll be spending so much time together. And nice job picking out a treat for yourself. I think I’ll gift wrap my next box of goodies. It’ll add to the experience.

3. November 15, 2010 3:52 am

I’m jealous – Do you think I could join your family JUST for Christmas? Wait, crap. You don’t celebrate Christmas – give me a holiday woman!

4. November 15, 2010 4:48 am

You truly do have the best in-laws!

5. November 15, 2010 4:48 am

I never heard of this site, but of course, I’ll be visiting it now. (I hope that company’s giving you a little mula for the friendly mention, you know?)

6. November 15, 2010 4:59 am

So, like, does Ali have a brother? Because I have this sister…

p.s. Those shoes are adorable. Too bad they’re teensy.

7. November 15, 2010 5:02 am

wow i don’t think i’ve heard ANYONE say that about their inlaws. they sound way fab. does ali have a brother? hahah

8. November 15, 2010 5:11 am

Well that’s so nice! I might just have to sneak myself into the mix for family holidays… that’s cool, right?

I hope this coming week is much better than last week for you! 🙂

9. November 15, 2010 5:14 am

oooh, maybe my in-laws will stumble upon your blog just in time for Christmas!

10. Anne Marie permalink
    November 15, 2010 5:33 am

CUTE!! You’re lucky to love your inlaws–not everyone is as lucky as you and I.

I have never heard of netaporter… going to check it out as we speak…

11. November 15, 2010 6:12 am

You, ungrateful?! I couldn’t even ponder it. I would prefer to call you normal. Anyone with a husband and child is bound to get a little angsty from time to time. 😛
    And it looks like you got a nice collection of items! I don’t have a camera yet either. I’m hoping to get that sorted out by the end of the year.

12. November 15, 2010 6:42 am

lucky you for scoring some great in-laws! bummer about the cusotmer service you experienced!

13. November 15, 2010 7:40 am

I think that when you marry someone, you marry their whole family. It makes the marriage flow so much better when you can get along with the in-laws. Your in-laws sound super sweet! My in-laws live in Vancouver, so when they visit, we take advantage of our time together.

Sorry about the terrible customer service, and I hope that you have a much better week, dear.

14. November 15, 2010 7:42 am

Do your in-laws want to adopt me? I’m sure that my in-laws don’t love (like?) me half as much!

15. November 15, 2010 8:24 am

just because gift cards are the BEST !

not that I would know!

hehehe

I’m so happy people treat you so well…just not that store apparantly!

happy monday Ameena!

16. November 15, 2010 8:50 am

I haven’t ever heard of that store. Too bad you have to return those shoes. They look really cute! You are very lucky to love your in laws. I have heard some real horror stories about women who don’t!

17. November 15, 2010 9:03 am

You are so lucky to have such loving, generous in-laws! My mother-in-law just got around to calling to say, “I think I lost your address. The birthday card I sent came back to me.” Um, my birthday was, like, 3 weeks ago…
    Sigh.

18. Leslie permalink
    November 15, 2010 9:06 am

Your In-Laws truly are spectacular. You MIL gave you the lovely Vuitton, right? Now FIL with Net-a-Porter. Boy, can we clone them? I don’t have a husband, but I’d be happy to have these two generous, kind people in my family. Sometimes we joke in my family, when the going gets tough, the Tough get shopping (& stop to eat chocolate along the way). FIL brought the shopping to you!

I had never heard of Net-a-Porter until this week (Yeah, there go my shopaholic bonafides, huh?). I read about the founder in a London business magazine in the waiting room of my mother’s cardiologist in Beverly Hills. In this mag, there was a long article about the founder of Net-a-Porter vaunting her…wait for it…superlative customer service. We both go “ha!” The founder started it in the meltdown of the dotcom boom while her husband was a Lehman Bros executive. (Cue up a long “oooh oh”.) You remember Lehman: bankrupty, partners equity accounts wiped out, yadda yadda. NaP’s founder just sold the company to private equity partners for $76 million. The new owners supposedly built somewhat lavish offices good for photo ops) and upgraded the computer systems to ensure that vaunted customer service only improves. I went to their website and just fell in love with their clothing and accessories. Now I just need a holiday invite to a party where I can wear a $3,000+ Jason Wu magenta gown? Oh, but what are dreams for?

Back to your lovely In Laws and their generosity. Will we be seeing you model your purchases? We definitely need to hear about the gorgeous fabrics and beautiful sewing. Sorry about the shoes. And you are so right about the gift-wrapping. A beautiful box and a bow are almost guaranteed to life the spirits.

Prayers & hugs to you all, my elegantly dressed darling girl.

19. November 15, 2010 9:48 am

Those shoes *swoon* If your in-laws ever feel like adopting, I’d like to mention that I am available 🙂

20. November 15, 2010 9:53 am

Lo & behold! I finally “landed” on someone with a corky sense of humor! Yes, the in-law story can be a delicate one and you are handling it with a good sense of humor he! he! I do have a really funny MIL joke for you!

21. November 15, 2010 11:17 am

I have never even heard of that site. But that is so awesome that you get along with your in-laws. My mother in law is great and so it is nice when everyone gets along. That is so cool her gave you a gift just cause.

22. November 15, 2010 11:37 am

lol you clearly have amazing in-laws!! I have heard some serious horror stories. My mom’s friend comes to mind. Her mother in law puts bad mother in laws to shame with the things she does!

23. November 15, 2010 12:34 pm

OH, you do have fantastic in-laws! Lucky girl! Good choice 🙂

24. November 15, 2010 1:15 pm

I hope to have in-laws like yours. Hehehe… whenever that will happen. A girl can dream for now. 🙂

25. November 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Your in-laws sound so sweet! I feel the same way about mine, but sadly I rarely get to see them since they live across the world!

26. November 15, 2010 3:04 pm

oooo net-a-porter!!! i love oogling everything on that site but i’m scared to buy clothes and shoes without trying them on first. your in-laws are so sweet!

27. November 15, 2010 3:58 pm

Ameena, I have those same shoes! They are my favorite things in the world. I bought them two years ago and wear them nearly every day -there are holes worn through the toes haha.
    Ohhh I can only hope my future inlaws will be so generous 😉

28. November 15, 2010 4:05 pm

I strongly dislike getting things online! They NEVER fit!

29. November 15, 2010 5:34 pm

That is a sweet in-law story. I don’t look at it as ungrateful, just honest. Of course my husband says I’m mean so perhaps don’t take my advice!

30. November 15, 2010 5:37 pm

I’m a believer that if gift wrap is free or someone else is paying for it, it’s always the right option.

What a fantastic surprise!

31. Samantha permalink
    November 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Your in-laws seem pretty awesome based on what you’ve written about them—is it your MIL that is the stylish one?
    And I am loving’ the gift wrapping option–great choice 🙂

32. November 15, 2010 8:37 pm

What an amazing father-in-law! I thought I was spoiled with trips to the brewery, but heck I would take a giftcard any day.

Hope your week is off to a better start!

33. November 15, 2010 9:44 pm

How lovely! My in-laws are pretty special too, but they’ve yet to give me a gift card (then again, I think I still have an unused starbucks card from my birthday…) Thank you for sharing, love. May peace and beauty shower down on you and yours this week!

34. November 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Wow. You do have some nice in-laws. Too bad those shoes are too teeny b/c they are super cute.

35. November 15, 2010 11:32 pm

Too funny Ameena, I do that too…. go buy stuff and ask them to gift wrap it.., because it feels so fabulous getting home and unwrapping all those presents….., totally understand, it absolutely normal in my world 🙂 I always thought if one went out and did some serious retail therapy that included the gift wrapping…, just sayin’ 😉
    Your in laws sound fab 🙂

36. crazylittlethingneela permalink
    November 16, 2010 3:15 am

so i guess in-laws are better than I thought! I am glad to hear you got to spoil yourself a little!
    enjoy it!

37. Jen permalink
    November 16, 2010 4:58 am

Love the In-Laws! You said they don’t read your blog – do they not know about it or just care too? (not computer people?). I assume since you want to turn a lot of this material into a book, that they’re going to (have to) find out about it eventually though right? It’s hard to “hide” stuff when you want to write about it on a larger scale…

• November 16, 2010 9:13 am

I think they know about my blog but are too busy to read it…luckily I don’t write anything that they’d find offensive. I think??

38. November 16, 2010 6:57 am

I have an amazing relationship with my in laws. I think it has something to do with the fact that we live in different cities!
    Ameena, I bet you are a dreamy daughter-in-law!

39. November 16, 2010 7:06 am

As an Indian daughter-in-law, I agree with your statement one some days and disagree on others…I could write a book. 🙂

40. November 16, 2010 9:18 am

I love your in-laws! Mine don’t even know what net-a-porter is hehe. Don’t get me wrong, they’re very sweet, but also simple and not into high-fi things like me, LOL.

I feel bad saying this, but I’ve never liked anything they’ve gifted me. I just smile and say thanks and that I love it.

oh and I hope the Tory Burch flats are comfy for you!

41. November 16, 2010 9:23 am

I have to admit that both my husband and I are lucky because we love our in-laws too. That being said, I’m glad that we live far enough away that there aren’t daily visits. Of course, if I got gift certificates like that I might change my mind!

42. November 16, 2010 9:41 am

JUST BECAUSE?! Can I borrow your in-laws, please?

43. November 16, 2010 9:55 am

Can we trade?

44. November 16, 2010 12:43 pm

you’re lucky to have in laws like that:) i really love the shoes.

45. November 16, 2010 6:49 pm

what a great father-in-law! i have a pretty good relationship with my mother-in-law as well, but it might help that she lives on the other side of the world. :p

46. November 17, 2010 1:20 am

How sweet. Those clothes look extremely cute and those shoes too. Bummer about the size issue.

47. November 17, 2010 3:30 am

Sometimes, in-laws are simply WONDERFUL people – and it looks like you’ve snagged a good set! 😉 I didn’t realize until recently how lucky I was with the in-laws I have. Not only did they produce a wonderful (if sometimes infuriating 😛 ) son, they are the sweetest, most generous people I’ve ever met, who treated me like their daughter long before Peter and I married. How lucky can I get?? I’m glad to see your in-laws treat you as wonderfully as you deserve 🙂

48. November 17, 2010 8:37 am

I don’t think that it’s “imperative” but it really does make life better if people like their in-laws. I’m a big fan of mine, although my father-in-law does have the tendency to lecture about random topics (he was an academic for years, so it’s hard to break that habit). And I know that my parents probably like my husband more than they like me! Ha!

49. November 17, 2010 11:25 am

Will you adopt me?

50. November 17, 2010 1:52 pm

You are too funny! Love the honesty. Where do I get a father in law like that?

51. November 18, 2010 7:06 pm

I can never ever ever ever buy shoes online. Never.

You had better hold onto Ali. If you divorce him and marry someone else, just think: you could have crappy in-laws!!!

52. November 18, 2010 7:12 pm

You had better not divorce Ali. Just think: the next guy could have horrible parents!

53. November 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Quite interesting words on a controversial topic..LOL
    My in laws are very good but quite traditional.I dont like anything they give me..but they give it with a lot of love and enthusiam, so I feel good about it.
    Though I have a intercaste marriage, they havent expected much form me other than learning Bengali [their language]
    Overall rating : A-
    🙂
    First Time here & quite like your space!

54. Jen permalink
    November 22, 2010 10:05 am

And I LOVE the new look? When did you decide to change it and why??

• November 23, 2010 5:33 am

It’s my one year blog anniversary so I thought…out with the old and in with the new!

• nadia permalink
        November 29, 2010 7:47 pm

how amazing!!! congrats ameena, this keeps getting better and better, you truly rock and love the fabulous choices, esp the shoes:)

55. magicofspice permalink
    November 24, 2010 9:11 pm

How wonderful that your in-laws are so good to you 🙂