Recycled Cake

September 22, 2010

Me: “Maya, what is that on your shirt?”

Maya: “Nothing.”

Me: “That brown stuff there, what is that?”

Maya: “It’s nothing.  It’s not chocolate or anything.”

Me: “It’s 9:30 in the morning Maya, I hope you aren’t eating chocolate.  Are you eating chocolate?”

Maya: “No.”

Me: “Don’t lie to me Maya, I can see chocolate on your face too.  Where did you get it?”

Maya (guilty face): “I didn’t have chocolate.”

Me: “I am going to be more upset if you are lying to me than if you ate chocolate.  Tell me the truth – did you have chocolate?”

Maya (scared for her life): “Yes I did.”

Me: “From where?”

Maya: “From the cake box that was in the recycling pile.”

Me: “WHAT?”

Maya: “It was just a little bit.”

Apparently there is nothing like icing from an old cake box. Bonus points if the box is in a recycling pile.

I realize that I shouldn’t be giving parenting advice seeing as my kid is basically eating out of the trash, but allow me to share a pearl of wisdom:

Encouraging your kid to tell the truth when you know she is lying isn’t always the best  approach.  Why?  Because when she finally tells you the truth you can’t smack her silly without contradicting yourself.  And where does that leave you?

Mad as hell with nobody to smack.

1. September 22, 2010 1:50 am

Oh Maya! This reminds me of that sex and thr city episode where Miranda eats Betty Crocker devils food cake out of the garbage.

2. September 22, 2010 3:16 am

AHAHAHAHAH I absolutely loved this story! How funny. I’m pretty sure I did something like that when I was younger. If you ever find a mass amount of hair under Maya’s bed and she tells you it’s not from her Barbies, just look at her Barbie’s new do’s. Apparently when I was younger, I thought I could get away with that one.

3. September 22, 2010 3:20 am

LOL– yes!!! This is a child after my own heart 🙂

4. September 22, 2010 3:21 am

On the bright side, it sounds like Maya takes recycling to a whole new level. 🙂

5. September 22, 2010 3:27 am

Too much!

Totally George Constanza from Seinfeld – remember when George eats the eclair out of the garbage can and gets caught?…oh maybe I’m the only Seinfeld freak here…love George, he always makes me feel better about my stupidity…

Those “buns” in your header? Do you eat them? Or just for prettiness? It’s so inviting, and I feel like I want to come, drink tea, eat scones with you and talk tales 🙂

• September 22, 2010 12:59 pm

I did eat those exact scones from my header – I took that picture during tea time at Harrods in London a year (or maybe 2) ago. We’ll definitely have to eat scones and talk tales when you come visit Los Angeles!

6. September 22, 2010 3:45 am

Looks like she’s being resourceful – no food must go to waste!

7. September 22, 2010 3:50 am

The cake was still in the original container and sitting on TOP of the recycling? She can’t be blamed. You may as well have just left a note on top saying, “Eat this cake Maya.” What child wouldn’t have?

You’re so right though. Once you teach the child about telling the truth your hands are tied as far as discipline. At least this was a minor issue. Better than a navel ring (those days are ahead).

8. September 22, 2010 4:04 am

hahahahah!! ooooooooooh maya. she is way to cute and precious 🙂

9. September 22, 2010 4:08 am

Can I borrow her?
    And there IS ALWAYS someone to smack…most of the time, many women SMACK themselves, or each other.
    I say “smack attack” and leave a kiss imprint on the box. There’s nothing like love to make the urges all worth it.

10. September 22, 2010 4:12 am

I think someone already said it, but yeah- reminds me of Miranda eating the chocolate cake she made out of the top of the trash…

A girl’s gotta get her fix somehow… 😉

11. September 22, 2010 4:19 am

Wow, that’s totally something I would have done as a kid.

…I might even do it now.

Chocolate cravings are tough to overcome.

12. Anver emon permalink
    September 22, 2010 4:37 am

that’s hilarious – what a great story. so did you find anyone to smack in the end? Perhaps this calls for a punching bag somewhere in the house — never too late to take up Thai Boxing!

• September 22, 2010 6:24 pm

I never did find anyone to punch so I just yelled at a bunch of people while I was driving and it made me feel a little bit better. 🙂

13. September 22, 2010 4:54 am

Oh my goodness! That is priceless.

14. Anjum permalink
    September 22, 2010 5:08 am

This was too funny!! Proves Maya is a normal kid that is desperate for sugar.

15. September 22, 2010 5:45 am

Hahahahaha….Ameena you tell the best stories. I love this! Poor Maya..when you want chocolate you gotta have it!

16. September 22, 2010 6:09 am

HA HA HA HA HA. That was great. And, c’mon, like you haven’t wanted to do that before! 🙂

17. September 22, 2010 6:18 am

The real question is, why was perfectly good cake frosting in the recycling pile? After years of living with the hubster, expiration dates are simply guidelines in my mind. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- that Maya is one smart kid! 🙂

18. September 22, 2010 6:29 am

HAHAHAHAHA! I love it! Obviously a mother of more than one child. With my first, everything had to be sterilized, leftovers thrown out after two days, and if she ate anything from the trash I’d call the poison control hot-line (true story). By the third kid, they ate Cheerios that hit the floor before continuing with what was in their bowls (I guess floor food had more flavor) and I wouldn’t mind because then I wouldn’t have to sweep up afterward.

19. September 22, 2010 6:33 am

Hahaha! Oh dear. I’m not looking forward to those days. Honestly, I think the next house I get, I’m putting a secret hidden room in it so I can hide everything I don’t want the kiddies getting near in there. Which means I might have to lock myself in that room too :-D. Have a great day Ameena!

20. September 22, 2010 6:52 am

omg, hahahaha. I guess I know now for when I have children to never leave chocolate cake boxes out in the recycler. lol

21. September 22, 2010 7:11 am

you are teaching her great values of not wasting anything 😉

22. Leslie permalink
    September 22, 2010 7:25 am

I know there’s more to this story. Do tell. I can’t wait to hear your explanation of why “waste not, want not” isn’t working here.

23. September 22, 2010 7:27 am

lol! This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George eats an eclair from the garbage and gets caught by his girlfriend’s mom!
    Once my dad caught me eating Mr. Barky’s Vegetarian Dog Biscuits…

24. September 22, 2010 7:30 am

This goes to show you where there’s a will to get chocolate there is surely a way! Funny.

25. September 22, 2010 7:30 am

maya is hilarious. I can’t believe she ate from that. ohhh the mind of a 5 year old!!

26. September 22, 2010 7:48 am

LMAO, seriously, I would have peed my pants if I was there to witness that exchange of dialogue.

27. September 22, 2010 7:54 am

Chocolate must be her favorite! Sorry I just could not help laughing. The cake on the box looks very good – very tempting. If it was flattened and folded, may be it would not get visitors in the recycling pile. I just love Maya already!

28. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    September 22, 2010 8:15 am

hahahaha that is kind of awesome. Its almost like dropping food on the ground and just eating around the parts that actually got dirty. 🙂

29. September 22, 2010 8:39 am

Maya deserves points for trying to reduce the food waste in your household, lol!

30. September 22, 2010 8:39 am

ROFL……’nuh’ said! In this single post you have capsulate everything we love and hate about parenthood!

PS – Howz the book coming along?

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

• September 23, 2010 6:43 pm

The book is coming along slowly….it is a lot harder than I thought! I hope to have it done sometime in the next 20 years or so. 🙂

31. September 22, 2010 8:54 am

It could have been 7am….

32. sana permalink
    September 22, 2010 9:00 am

“mad as hell with nobody to smack”
    hahahahahahaha
    I have had that feeling so many times. my boys are too little to smack and my husband.. well he calls it domestic violence. so can’t smack him. bah

• September 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Oh Sana – I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but Ali calls it domestic violence too….

33. September 22, 2010 9:07 am

Maya rocks! Thanks to Maya for giving us an opportunity to hear a great story and valuable knowledge!

34. September 22, 2010 9:12 am

That is pretty funny 😉
    Reminds me of a commercial for “Grounded for life” in which the son of the family is told that he cannot continue eating out of the trash or drinking from the toilet (ew).

XD

35. September 22, 2010 9:23 am

Yes Maya has great look toward the recycling. We have old saying Children are gods, as they don’t how to tell lie. Once they learn how to tell lie, they become humans.

36. September 22, 2010 9:35 am

This is funny! Except in my house, I’m usually the one picking crap out of the recycling bin to eat…well, not so much anymore but last year when I was on a low-carb diet, when I was having a carb breakdown, no carb was safe, garbaged or not!
    Love the part of your post where you say you were mad and had nobody to smack! still laughing…ya, smacking would be so satisfying. I think I’m parenting in the wrong generation. I should have been around in the 1800s when it was encouraged to beat your child with actual objects.

37. actorsdiet permalink
    September 22, 2010 10:03 am

oh maya. i totally get it!

38. September 22, 2010 10:08 am

That is too funny! At least she didn’t get it out of the trash! No other choice but to laugh this one off I suppose 🙂

39. September 22, 2010 10:36 am

Too funny–that’s all I can say.

40. September 22, 2010 10:59 am

I love the tags you put on this post – my kid eats out of the trash. Followed, of course, by the actual reason she decided to go ahead and do it – Trader Joes chocolate cake rocks!

Priceless!

41. September 22, 2010 12:14 pm

Haha! I love that you tagged this “My kid eats out of the trash”! Have a great day!

42. September 22, 2010 12:39 pm

laughing out loud at my computer at work. coworkers think i am crazy, but at least i am being entertained 🙂

43. September 22, 2010 12:53 pm

Well at least Maya likes to recycle! I love hearing little kid’s try to lie…I imagine I would be less tickled if they were my own. Have a great day, love!

44. September 22, 2010 1:14 pm

Maya is a smart girl~ she likes to recycle…too cute! Thank you so much for visiting my blog~ come again! 🙂

45. September 22, 2010 1:18 pm

I was dying over your tags too! kinda says it all! THAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS for the hu MUNGOUS laugh and smiles!

Maya rocks! she is SO 5! (mine would have shrugged his shoulders, made that too adorable face to be in trouble and said “it was an accident”.

hahahahahaha

46. September 22, 2010 1:28 pm

The many adventures of Maya. LOL. I haven’t laughed so loud in quiet. Goodness…HA!

47. September 22, 2010 1:48 pm

your Maya stories always crack me up. she’s a hoot and a half. and adorable as hell. this one totally made my day! XO

48. September 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Hahahahahaha!! Maya likes her chocolate!! 😉 Too funny!! 🙂

49. September 22, 2010 5:05 pm

HAHAHAH thanks for making me laugh…I think I was maya when I was younger!

50. September 22, 2010 5:06 pm

That’s priceless. You should meet my Mom, my brother and I used to double team her like Maya until we got the double jeopardy ‘let outa jail clause’ lol
    OK…., I’m feeling guilty now 😦

51. Janelle permalink
    September 22, 2010 5:43 pm

I often have a 9 a.m. chocolate craving, and it sounds like Maya just found a resourceful way to take care of it.

52. highonhealthy permalink
    September 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Hahahaa.. that is just absolutely perfect. At least we know Maya won’t ever have to worry about going hungry. 😉

53. September 22, 2010 6:38 pm

I have a really good feeling about Maya. She doesn’t like to waste anything, she’s clever, and she’s honest (even if it takes a little push). I see bright things for her!

I wonder if you ever ended up smacking anyone? If not, I think it’s time to visit Escalade Dad.

• September 23, 2010 12:36 pm

I didn’t end up smacking anyone but I think I will look for Escalade Dad today when I go to pick Maya up!!

54. September 22, 2010 7:14 pm

dude, it wasn’t in the trash, it was totally on top. i would’ve done the same thing :p

55. September 22, 2010 7:20 pm

Keep telling yourself, look at the big picture. 🙂

56. September 22, 2010 7:35 pm

I am cracking up!!!!! HAHAHA! I’m sorry but this is the funniest thing I’ve heard all day. I would have freaked out.

57. September 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Omg hilariouss. I don’t know why but it’s taking time for me to realize how young she is. Now that I think about it though…when I was 5 and my brother was 4, we would eat jello with our hands and even a raw hot dog while my mom took her afternoon nap-so bad! Atleast you caught Maya. This happened multiple times without my mom’s knowledge haha.

58. September 22, 2010 7:54 pm

I just texted my sister in law who has a two year old daughter and told her she needs to start following this blog asap.

59. September 22, 2010 8:30 pm

This is way too funny…Love the dialog, kids are so great with their thought process 🙂

60. September 22, 2010 9:54 pm

Words to live by! For that reason, I’d never question my sister when I knew she’d done something. I’d just storm into her room, unleash some hell, and walk out. It worked either way– either she knew what she was being punished for, or knew that I was not in a mood to be messed with.

Of course, she’d chase after me and we’d wind up in a grappling match that usually involved hair-pulling.

61. September 23, 2010 2:57 am

Haha well at least she made the box more fit for recycling! And at least it wasn’t out of the garbage bin. Now you would have HAD to smack her for that 😛

62. Kath (Eating for Living) permalink
    September 23, 2010 5:26 am

Haha, I can perfectly imagine how this went! 😀

63. September 23, 2010 6:56 am

This reminds me of conversations I have with my dear hubbykins. He doesn’t eat out of the garbage but he does eat so much food behind my back even though I try to put him on a diet.
    Bad hubby, bad!

64. September 23, 2010 8:52 am

Hi Ameena, I’ve been enjoying your hilarious blog for a while. Your Maya is such a cutie! Love how she keeps you on your toes. 🙂

65. September 23, 2010 2:31 pm

ahahaha! That’s so cute, kids just eating whatever they think is good regardless of where it comes from…exactly how my sister is 😉

66. September 23, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Ameena, I am a fellow Cali blogger and found your blog listed on Healthy Living Blogs. I am putting together a California HLB meet-up and wanted to know if you are interested in getting together with a group of other HLB bloggers?

If so, please email me at yellowbrickbeauty@gmail.com and let me know.

67. September 23, 2010 3:54 pm

“Mad as hell with nobody to smack.” – HAHAAHAHAHA…sorry, can’t help it..too funny. The best line ever and I know how it feels!! Btw are you going to tell Maya about your blog after she grew up later? :p

• September 23, 2010 6:41 pm

I can’t wait until Maya is old enough to read about the crazy things she used to do…and her crazy mother’s reactions!

68. September 23, 2010 7:06 pm

I know I shouldn’t be laughing so hard, but … HAHAHAHAHA! Oh, poor Ameena … I love this line especially –> “It’s nothing. It’s not chocolate or anything.” 😀 You are fabulous, Ameena, to be able to see the humor in anything.

By the way, Maya’s not the only one who eats stuff out of the recycling … I may or may not have pulled stuff out of the trash when I was little …

69. September 28, 2010 2:50 am

BWAHAHAHAHA! Man you just have to love kids.

70. October 2, 2010 7:12 pm

Hahahahah. Maya is hilarious! “it’s not chocolate or anything”. At least she isn’t a skilled liar?