Priorities!

September 7, 2010

After living in Los Angeles for most of my life, I rarely think twice about things that would probably shock the hell out of other people.  From witnessing another one of Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunctions while sharing an elevator to listening to a spoiled, designer clad 6-year-old girl unnecessarily scream “You are killing me daddy!” in the middle of Beverly Hills…I feel like I’ve seen too much.

But being as jaded as I am, even I was surprised when I saw this a few nights ago:

obama7

I wish I had a picture of the Swarovksi encrusted rims...they were truly one of a kind.

More than anything I think I was confused.

Obviously this doesn’t belong to our distinguished president, unless of course he suddenly relocated the first family to Los Angeles and purchased a Swarovski crystal Escalade.  So why does a random person have “Obama” on their license plate?  And why the number 7?  And why would anyone want a Swarovski crystal Escalade in the first place?

So many questions, so little time.  But what really amazes me is that someone would go to all the expense and energy of crystallizing their vehicle but wouldn’t bother centering their personalized license plate.

Priorities people!  Please!

1. September 7, 2010 2:43 am

Haha that really is just strange. I would also like to take issue with the fact that people in general put things like Swarovski crystals on their escalade. I mean, the thing is meant to go through mud and snow and all sorts of crazy thing. It’s not like it’s some prim and prissy car.

2. September 7, 2010 3:26 am

Hardcore devotee of the President.
    Cute post.

3. September 7, 2010 4:01 am

Obviously Obama1 through Obama6 were taken. 🙂

4. September 7, 2010 4:06 am

*Sigh. That license plate cover could probably pay most of my rent for a month. It’s amusing but sad…

5. September 7, 2010 4:21 am

I was thinking the same thing as Tracy, 1 through 6 are probably taken. Now your mission is to track down the other missing Obama plates! why on earth would someone put crystals on their car like that? It’s insane!

6. September 7, 2010 4:23 am

oh my god what the hell is wrong with people?!?! LOL seriously.. thats crazy! who has that kind of money lying around that they can just be-dazzle an escalade with thousands of expensive jewels… cuz whatever they are doing, (might be morally questionable?!) is probably something id like to do for a month.. just to pay the bills off.. LOL
    my dream car is a Kia Sorento.. obviously, i am not on the same planet here..

7. September 7, 2010 4:38 am

Seriously…. you are hysterical! I just showed my husband this post and he couldn’t stop laughing!

8. September 7, 2010 4:45 am

I guess different strokes for different folks. Heck, if he’s got the money for his own jewel plates – I say go for it! 🙂

9. September 7, 2010 4:52 am

Hahaha, many important questions here. Gosh, I really can’t imagine every bejeweling my car. Ever.

10. September 7, 2010 4:57 am

Lol…sometimes Altoona feels like the personalized license plate center of the world– I swear, I see ten daily!

11. September 7, 2010 5:05 am

hahah. as a completely organized person the fact the plate isn’t centralized bothers me so much. like i can’t even look at the picture anymore!

12. September 7, 2010 5:25 am

That is too funny!

13. September 7, 2010 6:20 am

Nothing says street cred like crystals on your Escalade. In all fairness though, I kinda miss the craziness that is LA 🙂

14. September 7, 2010 6:30 am

I thought it might bee “leetspeak,” with the “7” standing for “T,” but “Obamat” makes even less sense.

15. September 7, 2010 7:27 am

Oh that’s so weird and funny. Priorities indeed. You sound like me Ameena, totally unshockable & then some random does something like this and its “What the……???”

16. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    September 7, 2010 7:27 am

Im a little surprised that someone was even allowed to have that license plate.

I also totally dont understand all the crystals. Put them on jewellery, not your car. Doesnt that just encourage theft and vandalism?

17. September 7, 2010 7:43 am

Talk about some major ridiculously unnecessary bling bling. Too much time and money obviously went into that one.

18. September 7, 2010 8:06 am

hahahahahaha
    ahhhh
    I needed that!
    thanks!

19. September 7, 2010 8:10 am

Oh boy, I don’t even know what to say to this, Ameena. For the first time in my life, I think I’m actually speechless. You have just become my hubby’s hero ;-).

20. September 7, 2010 8:13 am

Very weird. I didn’t even know what a Swarovski Crystal Escalade was. I guess it belongs to a hardcore devotee. I’m pretty sure I’ll never have a personalized license plate. They’re always so strange.

21. September 7, 2010 8:25 am

OMG! That is nuts! I actually saw some kind of Louis Vuiton car last week. I am sure that it was a knockoff though… there were LV decals all over the sides of the car and LV seats!!
    Funny about the Obama plate too… I woulda pegged that car owner for a Palin supporter 😉

22. September 7, 2010 8:27 am

Laughing. This really is unbelievable. And like you, I don’t know where to begin! Some people live very interesting lives…and that is about all I can say!

23. sana permalink
    September 7, 2010 8:39 am

Hahahahah
    amazing.
    I COMPLETELY agree. Its really not easy on the eyes when its not centered.

24. September 7, 2010 8:43 am

Funny stuff. Only in LA :)Although I am sure there are equally ridiculous shenanigans taking place in the greater Fresno area as well.

25. September 7, 2010 8:59 am

Good point!

26. Michelle permalink
    September 7, 2010 9:10 am

Hahaha that is too funny! Some people truly amaze me.

27. Med permalink
    September 7, 2010 9:14 am

Bling 7.com? Wow, I don’t dare find out what that is-maybe a site where you buy items to make the back of your as cool as hers?

28. September 7, 2010 9:19 am

LOL! I wish I had been there with you when you saw this. So good!

29. September 7, 2010 10:27 am

So tacky! So insulting to President Obama as well! Tacky and tasteless! I wonder if the inclusion of 7 was due to 1-6 already being taken? I would have loved to see the rims! Actually, I’d kill to see the person driving the car! I would have stayed and waited… Good call on the lack of ‘centering’ of said licence plate! I saw a licence plate last week that had “SPARKLES” on it; not as blinged out as your find, but they did add their own “special touch” by adding GLITTERY STICKERS TO THEIR LICENSE PLATE, WINDOWS AND BUMPER! I nearly died. Nothing screams “classy” like glittery/sparkly pink and purple hearts.

30. September 7, 2010 11:11 am

clearly attention is the gluttony of most of civilization.. but when uve got daddy’s money to spend, why not pimp out your air polluting monster of metal..lol i kid i kid.. sort of 😉

31. September 7, 2010 12:31 pm

oh my goodness. of all the things….

PS I though you were just taking artsy pics at first, but for me they look ginormous and half of the pic gets chopped off the page. It’s weird and never happened before. Maybe it’s just me….?

• September 7, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi Daisy – Do all of my posts have a problem with the pictures? Sometimes I use Windows Live Writer and I think that may be distorting the photos?

32. September 7, 2010 12:33 pm

Obama 1-6 were already taken?

33. September 7, 2010 12:40 pm

Wow. haha! 😉

34. September 7, 2010 1:43 pm

This is hilarious! The plate being off center is the first thing I noticed, lol!

35. September 7, 2010 1:50 pm

That 6-year-old comment just made me laugh. Only in Beverly Hills, right? hahaha…

I’m surprised no one has tried to steal those crystals from that escalade. LOL. Talk about flaunting your riches!

36. September 7, 2010 4:49 pm

Hahaa centering the plate. That bothered me too.

37. September 7, 2010 6:03 pm

what the? how’d you get that picture of my ride???

haters gotta hate. :p

38. September 7, 2010 6:17 pm

Really! So many questions now!!

39. September 7, 2010 7:42 pm

Oh man! A major difference I’ve noticed between LA and other places is that in LA, it seems like people are very intent on impressing everyone or being ready for their big debut since there’s always filming going on! I don’t mind though because it can be entertaining!

40. September 7, 2010 7:47 pm

personalized lincense plates always confound me.

41. September 7, 2010 8:10 pm

You always have me laughing!

Funny also that I totally noticed how the license plate was off-center before you even said that!

42. September 7, 2010 8:19 pm

Oh my goodness. Only in LA! I wonder how much money someone spent on that. I shudder to think.

43. September 7, 2010 9:00 pm

You’re right, I’m a little perplexed too. Go through all that trouble and not even centered? Those crystals are so over the top! Have to say, I miss LA a little…you always see something a little crazy everyday:)

44. September 7, 2010 9:13 pm

I wonder what Obama would say if he saw the car…:-)

45. September 8, 2010 3:34 am

hahaha omg thats the most blinged out car i have seen!

46. September 8, 2010 6:46 am

Hmm, 7 is the number of God, right? Maybe all the diamonds and the #7 represent Obama’s sterling character (smile). He is kind of nice;-) I think so at least…

47. September 8, 2010 7:14 am

seriously? Hmm, I am guessing Obama 1-6 were already taken?

48. September 8, 2010 8:04 am

Ameena,
    Too funny! Yeah, sometimes I can’t believe that I live in the LA area. I think my favorite example of f-ed up priorities are the Baccarat crystal chandeliers that they hang up in Beverly Hills around Christmas. The BEST thing about it – they are encased in some anti-theft contraption! So, what’s the point?
    Oh, that’s right, obnoxious display of wealth…

49. September 8, 2010 8:32 am

hi ameena! thanks for your sweet note. i like your blog too since it is one of the better written stuff out there and we both love and live LA! i want to be a published author one day and i think that was a huge reason why i wanted to connect and network. but i realize that if i am really trying to network to network and meet people that can help me, then it has to be intentional and not just random FB friending. FB works for a lot of people but right now, not for me. and its just part of letting go of your crutches and focusing on things that will get you where you want to get in life.

50. September 8, 2010 8:49 am

WOWZA, this is a Bling Blinging Escalade! Only in LA sweetheart 😉

I don’t understand why people get certain plates…..seriously it maybe funny or cute to you, but if the rest of us don’t get it then it just looks strange 😐

Hmmm what would you get on your plate?
    I would get “I ❤ Veg" LOL

xxoo

51. September 8, 2010 11:02 am

I find it hilarious that people in LA sport those Sigg water bottles, take eco friendly bags to whole foods, only buy local/organic, but drive a car like this or a hummer! I had a crush in this guy and then i saw his escalade and got over him in a snap!

52. September 8, 2010 1:27 pm

Only in L.A. right? I used to ask a lot “Why”?, now I just look, laugh, maybe take a picture and then move on.

I see a lot of Orange County housewives around my area, I saw one with their puppies and the one puppy had bling on their toes?

53. September 8, 2010 1:44 pm

LOL, interesting lic#! Fun post!
    Btw, I gave you an award. Come and grab it

54. September 9, 2010 10:13 am

That makes me so sad! I think of all of my friend who are struggling with student loans and stuff and people are buying things like that. boo!

55. September 9, 2010 11:25 pm

So much of our culture tells us money = worth and =success. Too bad we dont spout more often that truly happy people aren’t constantly on a treadmill trying to prove or validate their existence. Too sad…

56. September 10, 2010 4:55 pm

I’m not the only one that was annoyed by the license plate! I can’t even look at the picture twice without wishing I could fix it… grrr