Out With the Old…

June 21, 2010

In addition to attending 2 birthday parties, a dinner party, and a Father’s Day BBQ this weekend, the Din family also found time to say goodbye to some of the old things in our life….

1. Ali’s germ-infested, dirty, stained, 3-year-old pink lunch bag finally found its way into the trash:

Because Maya and I bought him a new one for Father’s Day:

We are hoping that Ali’s co-workers won’t laugh at him as much now that he’ll be pulling the carrot sticks, apple slices, yogurt, and diagonally sliced turkey sandwiches I pack him out of his new manly black bag.

But don’t worry co-workers, you still have the opportunity to laugh at his lattes and “ancient” 3G iPhone instead.

2. I got over my fear of domesticity for a few minutes this weekend to enter Z Gallerie to continue the search for a replacement for this pretty but rather blah picture:

And was thrilled when Ali and I both agreed we like this one:

Are there any interior designers out there who can tell me if the blue in this picture will look okay against chocolate-brown walls?  I don’t excel in home decor to make the decision myself.

3. This next goodbye is one that will hopefully benefit us all…I’ve never excelled at grammar and figured it was high time to improve my comma placement.  So imagine my surprise when I randomly ran into the book Grammar Sucks at Borders this weekend:

Despite the tacky and somewhat offensive title, I do believe it will help me finally learn if a period goes inside or outside of a parenthesis, and if it + is = it’s.

No, I still have no idea when to use an apostrophe but I have high hopes that I will be writing gooder soon.

4. The Princess bike our nanny so generously bought Maya 3 years ago found a new home with one of Mrs. Maria’s friend’s daughters:

And thanks to my father-in-law’s admirable persistence, Maya can now ride a two-wheeler:

Now I’m not sure if I’m just one of those moms who thinks her kid is amazingly advanced but I do believe that riding without training wheels at 5-years-old is pretty impressive. But please do correct me if I’m wrong.

I dare you.

1. June 21, 2010 11:38 am

LOL, I’m impressed that Ali could put up using that hot pink lunch bag. I’m sure he’s glad now he will have this navy colored one. That new picture you got will look nice on any natural color, so no worries. Maya is impressive to ride two-wheeler as a 5 year old. I don’t think I could even do that until I was 10!!

2. June 21, 2010 11:42 am

Haha, too bad you had to throw that pink lunch bag away! I’m sure Ali is going to lose sleep over it. 😉

Way to go Maya!! She is definitely advanced!! 🙂

3. June 21, 2010 11:52 am

I definitely think the blue will go with chocolate browns. But then again, I love blue and think it goes great with either browns or blacks…

4. traynharder23 permalink
    June 21, 2010 11:55 am

HAHHAHAHA PINK LUNCHBAG!?!!! i should junk my dad’s purple shorts…that have a bleach spot.

OH i just remembered- my mom used to have this jacket, it was like a shirt, but really baggy and a ugly shade of gray…and one day my mom couldn’t find it. like EVER. dad: i guess you LOST it. (but i think we all know that he THREW IT OUT) =D

riding a bike is a great accomplishment! there are millions of adults who can’t! now to rollerblade…(for me)

hahhaha ameena: interior design:: tracy: fashion

=D

hope to see you wednesday!!!

5. June 21, 2010 12:09 pm

hahaha…another great post Ameena. i’m not an interior designer but i think that picture would go great against a solid brown wall. that’s a beautiful picture, you have great taste.

now that you brought out that grammar book it’s making me nervous even typing this…heehee. i think we all need one of those books in our homes.

that’s awesome that Maya can ride without training wheels at five! K is 3 and still scared to even just sit on her bike with the training wheels cause it wobbles lol. So definitely two thumbs and toes up for Maya!

Have a super week girl!

• June 21, 2010 12:11 pm

PS
      “I have high hopes I will be writing gooder soon.”
      Luv it!!! 😀

6. Priyanka permalink
    June 21, 2010 12:13 pm

I am no interior designer but I think brown and blue make a great combination. Seriously Ali carried a pink lunch bag? I think you should pat him for being so non complaining that he can carry a pink bag.

And I think it is really impressive that Maya is riding her bike without the training wheels. My dad knows how patient he had to be just so that I can learn to ride the bike. One more reason to thank him for father’s day.

7. Michelle permalink
    June 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Yes, the blue will pop fantastically against chocolate brown walls 🙂

I had no idea that Ali had a pink lunch bag. I agree, the black is much more manly.

8. June 21, 2010 12:19 pm

i love the pink bag. manly schmanly!

• June 21, 2010 12:42 pm

I wish I had a new lunch bag. I’m currently rocking a reusable bag from Target. I also really, really like Z Gallerie. I’m considering a part-time job there (and at Banana Republic) just for the discount 🙂
      PS: I Google weird grammar issues, especially ones involving apostrophes. Wait, did I just admit that in writing? Great.

9. June 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Yes, blue definitely goes with brown. Oh, and you should buy Strunk and White’s Elements of Style next. The best grammar book of life.

Oh, and way to go Ali for rocking a pink lunch bag for so long. My husband wouldn’t dare.

10. June 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Wow, riding without training wheels at 5 is very impressive! Nice job, Maya!

I’m still laughing about that pink lunch bag — too funny! 🙂

11. June 21, 2010 12:55 pm

I think riding a 2 wheeler at 5 years old is something a lot of kids could potentially be capable of, BUT, they have to have some pretty impressive parents to take the time to teach them and make sure they’re safe.

12. June 21, 2010 1:27 pm

I’m supposed to know what I’m doing in terms of the English language, but I still mess stuff up all the time. As for the biking, I am most impressed. When I was learning to ride a two-wheeler, I both hit a fire hydrant and fell into my mom’s rosebushes (and this was last week! Kidding–about the timeframe. I really did crash into stationary objects. With thorns.)

13. June 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Yay for Maya! My first two-wheeler was pink as well 🙂 Eesh. That seems like forever ago. And speaking of pink and forever, I really can’t believe Ali put up with that pink lunch bag for 3 whole years. I’m not sure if my dad would, but I’m going to lean towards no…

As for the picture, I’m no interior designer myself, but I think it would look great against chocolate brown walls 🙂 Brown and blue make a very nice combo.

14. Nadine permalink
    June 21, 2010 1:44 pm

I agree, it is pretty impressive for a 5 year old to know how to ride a two-wheeler! I on the other hand, am 23 years old and can’t ride a bicycle or swim…pretty sad ain’t it lol!

My mom is just perplexed at how I’m a good driver without having any experience riding a bike or without knowing how to keep myself afloat in water.

15. June 21, 2010 1:54 pm

Aww, way to go, Maya!! She looks great on that bike!

I’m teaching a grammar course for an online university right now…ugh. That book looks a lot better than the online books we use!

16. June 21, 2010 2:17 pm

i definitely have no expertise in design stuff but i like blue with brown. so i say go for it.

and i think maya’s advanced. i know i took the training wheels off at 4 and think i’m pretty darn smart hahah 😉

17. June 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Um, it IS impressive that she can ride already! That’s so cool! Let me know how the grammar book is. I feel like my grammar has gotten worse since I’ve been in the “working world.” A sad reality…

18. June 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Too bad that the lunchbag had to go…so pretty and pink! I’m sure my husband would love a bag like that! And like everyone has already said, Congratulations Maya! Very impressed with your biking skills.

19. June 21, 2010 3:10 pm

I LOVE ali’s old lunch kit! Congrats to Maya and her mad skills and much luck with learning to write gooder.

I need that book and another one to teach me how to spell beter.

No, the problem is I do not actually want to learn it, I just want a new brain that knows how to grammertize, spell…and sign language.

20. June 21, 2010 4:15 pm

i remember using books like that as a kid to help with grammar.. they came in handy for sure 🙂

those lunch bags are too cool! i love how u twist them up into a baggie 🙂

xoxo ❤

21. June 21, 2010 4:49 pm

I have to get that for my wife the teacher….she will love it!

22. June 21, 2010 4:53 pm

Your grammar is good to me. I have had blog-readers call me out on poor grammar 😦 Talk about the grammar-police.

23. June 21, 2010 5:48 pm

I LOVE THE PIC!! I would say that you can easily mix the brown with the blue–such a trendy combination. I actually just saw a recent post about it on a design blog today… don’t remember which one though. Maybe someone more professional would be picky about black on brown with the frame?? I think it’ll look fabulous.

Yay for Maya!! It was sooo hard for me to learn to ride a 2 wheeler.

24. June 21, 2010 6:20 pm

so very impressive (that is maya riding with no training wheels at age 5.) I think I was like 7 or 8!! good for her. I like your new painting but sadly can not offer interior design advice.

25. June 21, 2010 6:59 pm

I’m not an interior designer but I think that blue against chocolatey brown walls would look sublime! 🙂

I totally love Ali’s old lunch bag, and am majorly impressed that he agreed to take it to work every day. 😀 Just sayin’. 🙂

Yes, your child is definitely advanced. But she has an advantage–a persistent father-in-law. Hahaha. I point that out because that’s the context in which I learned how to ride a bike too! 😀

Warm wishes,
    Aletheia

26. June 22, 2010 4:44 am

Go maya! I was ten or eleven when I learned to ride a two wheeler (yeah I was slow) so she has one up on me!

I think blue and dark brown go really well together actually…although I’m no interior designer!

I couldn’t help but laugh at that pink bag. Ali’s a real man now!

27. June 22, 2010 5:00 am

Impressive… it took me YEARS to ride a 2 wheeler. Go Maya!

28. June 22, 2010 5:20 am

I was 5 when I learned to ride a 2 wheeler too

29. June 22, 2010 6:12 am

Good for you for getting rid of old things! I need to do that too…..

30. June 22, 2010 6:13 am

I have no idea when I learned to ride a two wheeler but am definitely impressed by your lil lady’s skills!

Oh, and gotta love those buily NY bags…especially the pink…love it. Both my dad and boyf are all about the black black black…

June 22, 2010 6:18 am

I think its awesome that Maya can ride a bike without training wheels. My boyfriend didn’t learn how until he was 11. Why he tell people that I don’t know.

I love that Ali used a pink lunch bag for so long!! That’s hilarious. And do you actually slice carrot sticks for him? I don’t even peel the carrots I put in my lunch. That’s so much work!!

32. June 22, 2010 6:22 am

Since you dare(d) (help me with my grammer so it is gooder too) I think I rode my bike without training wheels when I was 4 😉 J/k I have no idea when my fianlly removed the training wheels.. all I know it was before my sister was born (I was 6) when they had more time to spend with ME.

Please post helpful hints from the book so I can learn to.. or heck if it is a good book may be I go pick up a copy for me.

I am doing my second toastmaster’s presentation on Thursday.. yikes! I haven’t put my presentation together yet. god help me.

33. Jessica permalink
    June 22, 2010 6:29 am

It looks like you need a HAZMAT team for that pink lunch box. Wow.

As far as grammar goes, I still don’t understand the difference between it’s and its. I know one shows possession and one is ‘it is’. Let me know if it’s in the book.

34. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 22, 2010 6:35 am

I love that picture. Good choice! I need to go art shopping, but I’m broke. I might make my own art, which should be interesting.

35. June 22, 2010 7:13 am

Yay for Maya! Riding 2 wheelers at age 5 is a very excellent accomplishment! The new lunch bag is equally nice!

36. June 22, 2010 7:33 am

Love the pink lunch bag! I just purchased the same black on for my husband and he won’t use it. He thinks it looks like a purse…whatever.

37. June 22, 2010 7:37 am

YAY for Maya!!!

38. June 22, 2010 11:29 am

I think I need to buy that book, too. My grammar can be pretty horrendous most of the time. hahaha…

Yay for Maya riding a two wheeler. She did better than me. I didn’t start until probably a few years later…maybe around 8 or 9.

39. June 22, 2010 12:30 pm

I think the painting will match! I’m no expert… but I’ve never really gone to someone’s house and been like, “OMG that looks horrible,” about anything… And I like the painting!
    So cool that Maya can ride a 2-wheeler already…I’m ashamed to say I didn’t learn til I was almost 10 😦

40. June 22, 2010 11:32 pm

Alright, so the period thing? The punctuation? As a published journalist, I can tell you: It changes depending where you are. It’s a cruel joke. They call it the ‘Oxford Comma,’ but really it applies to a whole slew of punctuation styles.

..which is awful.
    x

41. June 23, 2010 1:14 am

Hey, Maya is doing a great job at being able to ride a two-wheeler at 5 yrs old!! Heck, I can’t ride one even now!!

42. June 23, 2010 4:28 am

I think it’s so funny he carried a pink lunch bag! I LOVE IT!

43. June 23, 2010 5:42 am

Hee hee, love the lunch bag. I actually think that his coworkers may tease him vocally, but inside they are probably jealous that your hubby has such a great wife who takes care of him like that!

44. June 23, 2010 5:54 am

A five year old without training wheels is extremely impressive!

45. traynharder23 permalink
    June 23, 2010 9:09 am

of COURSE you made the list! it was an EPIC meeting! i hope i can make it today- i only got 3 hours of sleep last night due to apparently a bad fever (i didn’t know but my mom listened to my recap of the night and she said FEVER)
    yeah, that;s what the PA lady at the info session said, kept saying, actually. so yeah, hopefully i get in! =/

miss you guys lots! and i have your drawing idea, so imma fix that up in a jiffy!

46. oc2seattle permalink
    June 23, 2010 12:08 pm

A hot pink lunch bag – really? LOL! The new one is definitely more “manly.”

47. June 23, 2010 12:55 pm

I can barely ride a two-wheeler now! Maya is my idol.
    To my credit though, I actually was a good bike rider as a kid…I don’t know what happened? I went 12 years without using a bike and somehow I lost my ability to ride the damn thing. I certainly lost my fearlessness…I remember racing my bike up and down hills as a kid and one day I went flying and ended up with cuts and bruises all over my body. Come to think of it, maybe that is why I’m such a timid bike rider now?

I love all your new stuff! I would like to read that book too…I think my grammar is okay for the most part but I would like to improve on the little things.

48. nadia permalink
    June 23, 2010 10:05 pm

go maya jani!!! you rock, and shani can’t ride a 2 wheeler yet…you will inspire him! classic post ameena, i will def critique your new z gallery frame manana…we need to have a chat about z gallery art too;) can’t wait for tomorrow’s tea and mostly the post following it:)
    XOXOXOXOXOXO