Positive Vibes

June 9, 2010

I’ve been trying something new the last few days…I’ve been sending positive vibes into the universe.  Don’t worry, I’m not going to get all “The Secret” on you or anything – I’m sure I’ve already mentioned that I believe this book is total and utter hogwash, perpetuated by Master of the Universe, a.k.a. Oprah – but I’ve decided to approach things with positivity instead of my usual cautious optimism.

Guess what?  I think I might be on to something.

Example #1

Yesterday, for example, I was dying for a good bagel.  I haven’t had one in probably a decade or something, but for some reason I was craving a bagel slathered in cream cheese.  And guess what I suddenly appeared?

My friend Maie, who so thoughtfully bought me lunch yesterday, also brought me gluten-free bagels, scones, and cupcakes from The Sensitive Baker

Maie being the generous person that she is suggested that I take everything home and share it with Ali and Maya.  We all know that what I really did was take everything home and write “Mom’s, DO NOT TOUCH” all over it.  I also underlined it 3 times in permanent marker and buried all of it deep within the confines of the freezer.

Think what you want but I am in carb-heaven right now and don’t feel guilty in the least for not sharing.

Example #2

After my carb-fest I found I had a ridiculous amount of energy and decided to approach Maya’s “homework” time with excitement.  We’ve made good progress learning our lowercase letters lately but Maya seems to have stalled with the lowercase “j.”

I must have said “It’s just a lowercase “i” with a tail, Maya”  about 50 times this past week, but for some reason Maya insists on putting the biggest, most obnoxious dot on top of the “j” and she curves it around at the bottom so much that it might as well be a drunk “u.”

But I sent my vibes up, up, and away, and instantly KNEW Maya was going to master it.

She finally did, although we had some words about her lack of focus right around letter “k,” and I’m pretty sure Rhonda Byrne wouldn’t approve of the non-Secretlike thoughts that were circling around in my mind at that point.  In any case, I liken Maya’s “j” progression to the evolution of man…

Do you see the resemblance?

Example #3

I had no desire to cook dinner today.  None whatsoever.  There were no leftovers and pretty much nothing in the freezer (except for the aforementioned gluten-free goods and we know those are off-limits to all those not named “Mom”) so I had no idea what to do for dinner.  But I decided not to dwell on things because I was positive they’d work themselves out.  And then lo and behold…at exactly 2:34 I received this text:

I still have to cook for myself and Maya, and I have to entertain her more than expected, so I’m not sure if I’d call Example #3 100% successful but you win some, you lose some.

I don’t know how long my positivity is sustainable but I’m sending vibes that the kitchen stays clean, that Maya doesn’t throw up for at least a month, and that I don’t stumble during my Toastmaster’s speech on Friday.

I need all the help I can get.

1. June 9, 2010 7:11 pm

HAAHAHAH! I really hope there is some marked goodies in your freezer :)!

I have been thinking of finding a toastmasters near me. because I love talking about myself. I just hope other strangers care to listen….

2. June 9, 2010 7:21 pm

I’m ALL over the positive vibes thing.. I need to do that too!! Because I really do think it helps!
    And yay for bagels!!!!!!

3. June 9, 2010 7:24 pm

Someone was just talking to me about The Secret the other day. I’ve never read it, but saw it being discussed on Oprah and I couldn’t help but roll my eyes (trying to be discrete about it and hoping the person didn’t see…didn’t want to be rude, although I guess it is pretty rude to be eye rolling in the first place? I should work on being a better person. Don’t worry, this tangent ends now.) She said she could lend me the book, but I’ve already prejudged it as being total and utter hogwash, as you say, so I feel like it’s ruined for me even if, by some chance, the concept actually works. I guess it never hurts to be more positive, I just don’t believe that anything can be that simple or black-and-white. With your past two posts being so grateful and positive, I’m feeling a need to step up my game. I’m way too negative. I’m thinking I should take a cue from you and send out positive vibes. We’ll see what happens…

I’m sending positive vibes your way too…Here’s to a month’s worth of a vomit-free Maya and a clean kitchen!

4. June 9, 2010 7:50 pm

As soon as you got that text from Ali you should have called your friend Maie (AKA Maya’s future mother in-law) and her son Zane over for dinner. Order something so dinner’s taken care of and then the kids can play after dinner so Maya’s taken care of. Win, win, win situation :-D. What’s the third win? Well in about 20 years I’ll answer that ;-). Sending good vibes your way my friend!

• June 10, 2010 7:26 am

That would have been a fantastic plan, and may I just say that your memory amazes me!!

5. June 9, 2010 8:15 pm

dont worry the positivity will last.. even if there may be a few little bumps. i love ur freezer goodies! and im all for leftovers when im in no mood to cook! i’ll send my positive energy ur way too- along with all the other bloggers 🙂

6. actorsdiet permalink
    June 9, 2010 9:39 pm

i’m glad that the positive thinking has been working for you! i have found that it’s not really the “thinking good thoughts” that has been helpful so much as “i’m not going to worry” — i’ve heard good things about the sensitive baker, glad you were in carb heaven…

7. June 9, 2010 11:42 pm

Positive is good. I like to stay positive. Been doing that for years. This was even before “the secret” was ever mentioned and I don’t follow it either. I’m just that way in general. It gets me through my day even during the super stressful stuff. I’m glad you’re staying positive. It’ll help with the stresses at home.

8. June 10, 2010 1:05 am

YAy for a great carb-fest that won’t leave you cringing in the bed! Are they actually good, those gluten-free bagels? and can you eat cream cheese? Either way, I’m glad you’re getting some positive vibes from the universe…continue to exude positivity, and I’m sure better things will fall your way! And meanwhile, I’m sending all the positive vibes I have your way! 🙂

• June 10, 2010 8:13 am

The bagels taste just like the real thing and while I don’t have any cream cheese on hand, I can eat it in small amounts. I am going to pick some up next time I’m at the store!

9. June 10, 2010 3:07 am

Any time that someone brings baked goods, it just makes for a good day. Or at least that’s how I always feel…

Good luck with your toastmasters speech. I’m sure you’ll do wonderful!

10. June 10, 2010 3:47 am

Wow! Ameena, nice new face-lift for your blog!! Looks really chic now! Haven’t been here for quite a while, and your blog makeover was a pleasant surprise…

Keep it up with the positive energy…oh, and if you have some to spare, can you send me a package…I really need it here!

11. June 10, 2010 4:05 am

I am SO JEALOUS of your gf bagles!! I have been craving one forever…oh luscious carbyness! I have been contemplating making them…I hope you enjoy!

12. June 10, 2010 4:07 am

So sweet of Maie to bring you those goodies – they look great!! See the power of positive thinking? I think it definitely works 😉
    Good luck on your speech tomorrow!!
    (p.s. it’s been a while since i’ve been able to load your blog – i LOVE the “new” layout. “New” only in quotations because for all I know, it could be old news 😛 )

13. June 10, 2010 4:18 am

Ah–I totally agree about The Secret. I’ll tell you a secret: If you want to get really, really rich come up with an off-the-wall book idea, promise eternal happiness, trick people into noticing good things that had already been happening to them, and pretend your method created those good things. And get Oprah to believe you.

14. June 10, 2010 5:09 am

There really is something to the power of positive thinking!! It’s been helping me a lot lately!! 🙂

15. June 10, 2010 5:26 am

Although I’ve never actually read The Secret (I make it an avid point to avoid all of the books that Oprah goes ga-ga over), I definitely believe in the power of positive thinking. We can’t always control our circumstances, but we can control how we see those circumstances… kind of, anyways. It’s not always easy to see the world in a “glass half full” way, but it’s definitely nice on the rare occasions that we can.

Good luck on your Toastmaster’s speech, Ameena. I’m sure you’ll do great.

16. Jessica permalink
    June 10, 2010 5:33 am

I think I need to take a spin at this ‘positive thinking’ bit. I already have the mind set of “everything happens for a reason” and “things will work themselves out”, but I need to add some positivity to it.

I’ve seen “The Secret” in bookstores and have been tempted to buy it, but have yet to to do so. Every time I think about it I figure I’d rather learn things out on my own and just let things happen. I don’t need a book to guide me.

17. June 10, 2010 6:14 am

My aunt purchased me “The Secret” last year, apparently she thinks I’m a negative person. I just think I’m funny!

18. June 10, 2010 6:31 am

I believe in surrounding yourself with positive energy, but hadn’t put much thought into sending it into the “universe.” I’m going to give it a big shot!

19. June 10, 2010 6:33 am

Oh I totally think that sending out positive vibes into the universe definitely yields GOOD results!!! Also on the carbohydrate note…good for you for enjoying yourself. Remember there are NO bad foods…just bad choices! Enjoy yourself sweetheart!

20. June 10, 2010 7:08 am

I’d say the positive vibes were in your corner and working for you yesterday! I always try to think positively and I also try not to worry bc sometimes…theres just nothing you can do about a situation so why stress yourself out and that seems to help…most of the time 🙂

21. Michelle permalink
    June 10, 2010 7:42 am

I love your blog. It always gives me a good laugh in the morning.

22. June 10, 2010 8:23 am

Evolution of man — hahahahaha. I’m so involved with Maya’s letter-writing now. I expect frequent progress updates.

I’m so glad you got some carbs to enjoy! Are the gluten-free versions satisfying?

Positive vibes are good. I’m trying to generate some for myself this week!

23. June 10, 2010 10:07 am

I work with kids and I’m actually impressed with Maya’s handwriting! Sometimes kids have the worst writing and it’s a struggle to piece together what they tried to write. Oy.

I’m loving the positivity!

24. June 10, 2010 3:32 pm

How stinking cool you got some gluten free bagels!

oh that would have made my day!

Maie is so sweet! I love the happy vibe thing.

sending more good vibes to ya!

xo

25. June 10, 2010 4:23 pm

I saw the title of your post, and just knew i was going to love it. I’m such a believer in putting +vibes out there to the universe. i did it today. example – I was on a cross town bus (boston) and I needed to catch the shuttle that I just saw pull into the parking lot. sometimes, these shuttles that loop from my office to the station come and go in an instant. my friend and i emitted positive vibes all the way until the bus dropped us off and sure enough, the shuttle was still there waiting. We’ll your stories are way better, esp the drunk “u” hahaha. Catch me on a good day and I’ll have a better story.

26. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    June 10, 2010 6:01 pm

I love this post!! haha I used to write my name all over my food so no one else would eat it.

27. June 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Ahaha! Does Maya write backwards too? Like invert her letters? Mom always makes fun of me for having done that as a child, but I keep telling her it’s common amongst youngsters…

Best wishes for your toastmaster speech tomorrow!! 🙂

❤ Aletheia

P.S. Positive vibes towards Canada, please? 😛

28. June 10, 2010 8:15 pm

I would love to have a meet-up in D.C! 😀

I’m glad you + the universe are getting along. I also like Maya’s Qs…they have a little sass lol
    Good luck on your speech tomorrow!

29. June 11, 2010 4:26 am

I’m glad you had a good day!! When things just click it’s a great feeling 🙂

This is a silly question, but does gluten free baked goods satisfy your carb cravings?? I’ve never had any, so I have no comparison basis. Thanks for indulging the naive 🙂

• June 11, 2010 12:19 pm

I don’t think that is a silly question at all because honestly, not many gluten-free breads are good! Until this batch from The Sensitive Baker I have not had good luck. But these definitely do satisfy my cravings.

In any case, beggars can’t be choosers, right? 🙂

30. June 11, 2010 6:53 am

Good luck on your speech!!! You will do wonderfully.

I lol’ed at “Mom’s: DO NOT TOUCH”. That’s right! Don’t let anyone tell you different. 🙂

Maya may be struggling with the letters now (J’s are not “just J’s” to her – they are hard) BUT she will thank you when she’s older.

Sometimes I think about how my mom started teaching me how to write at age two, and I get like, teary eyed. It’s the greatest gift ever.

The earlier that Maya learns, the more proficient she will be!!!

31. June 11, 2010 8:09 am

Nothing wrong with being positive. I agree about the whole “the secret” thing, but I do think that being positive is a very good thing.
    Hope you have a fabulous weekend daaaaahling.

32. June 11, 2010 9:43 am

I love your Maya stories, so funny! Is the speech today? Let us know how it goes!

33. June 11, 2010 12:34 pm

I heard about the “Secret” on Oprah, was interested, got sidetracked with 3 kids and homework, and totally forgot about it. I think if you think positively, you invite goodness and positive energy into your life. If you always think negatively about everything, then you surround yourself with bad energies.

34. June 11, 2010 1:13 pm

I adore bagels. Great post. I really need to start with more positive vibes – negativity just sucks. Look at life from a “win-win” situation versus a “win-lose” or a “lose-lose”…even worse!

35. June 11, 2010 2:42 pm

I seriously need to start sending out postitive vibes! It’s worth it for the bagels alone, lol! 😉

1. Marriage Tips from Someone Who Has No Clue « Fancy That…Fancy This