Definitions

May 29, 2010

First off, thank you all for your very kind comments on the “How We Met” post.  It is amazing what a talented makeup artist and  brilliant photographer can do for even the most challenged of brides, i.e. myself.  As always, your comments make my day, so thank you again.

And now on to your regularly programmed sarcasm featuring definitions that you won’t find in any Random House Dictionary…

Teacher In-Service Day: Thinly disguised teacher holidays designed by school administrators to get rid of kids when they need a break.

Zen-Like Moments: The blissful 50 minutes of yogadownload.com that I crammed in at 5 am yesterday prior to Maya popping out of her room dressed, full of questions, and ready to go at 6:10 am.

Babydoll: Maya’s doll who was also wide-awake, dressed, and ready to go at 6:10am.

Subtraction Concepts: “If I have 15 M&M’s and Babydoll eats 10, how many do I have left?”  “5 Mama, 5!”

Who knew that practicing math would kill 30 minutes?  Who knew that Maya could progress from writing numbers backwards to nearly mastering addition and subtraction questions in less than a month?  Who knew I’d manage not to yell at her even once?

(We’ll all pretend that’s true).

Saving Grace: The unexpected phone call from my brother, inviting us to come see his new office.  You’d better believe I piled us both into the car faster than anyone could say“I’m bored, what should we do now Mama?”

Workplace Environment: My brother’s beautiful office in Santa Monica with lush landscaping, ducks, water fountains, and an unlimited supply of candy and Goldfish to ply even the whiniest of guests.

Early Lunch: A meal that falls after breakfast but before noon, which no normal person would consider a reasonable lunch hour.

But since feeding Maya is the best way to keep her occupied, an early lunch it was.  Luckily Locanda del Lago was open at 11:30am to assist Maya and my brother in some early carb-overloading.

Double Espresso, Squared: The 2 double espressos my brother needed to revive himself after the aforementioned early bird lunch.  Maya can do that to you.

Gluten-Free Buckwheat Quiche: The untraditional, yet fantastic concoction I consumed from Le Pain Quotidien, where Maya and I met my mom for lunch at the far more reasonable hour of 1:30 pm.

Ask Your Teacher: My standard answer for when I get asked questions like the one Maya asked me yesterday, “After we die, does God make us again or do we stay dead forever?”

Maya Din: A crazy, question-filled, energy-laden, 5-year-old eating machine, who enjoys sleeping in the brand new sleeping bag my mom sent her, with her head in a box and two umbrellas to keep her feet dry.

Maya’s Mother: An equally insane member of the Din family who, thanks to Maya’s day off yesterday, now needs her own “Teacher In-Service” day to recover.

1. May 29, 2010 4:49 pm

What a fun post! Maya is too cute. All of these definitions were hilarious, and I’m pretty sure I’m guilty of the “early lunch” every now and again… =P

2. May 29, 2010 5:30 pm

that girl would keep me entertained for hours! u must totally get a kick out of her energy/playfulness. what a cutie ❤

3. May 29, 2010 6:55 pm

i just noticed the new look on your blog, i’m loving it! sorry if this is old news but usually i read blogs on my phone so wordpress blogs all look the same.

you get up at 5 am!? and holy cow that Maya is already up and changed at 6:10! now i see why your days seem so long….CAUSE THEY ARE! kudos to you girl! love Maya’s outfit btw, tres cute! and the umbrellas to keep her feet dry is something only a 5 yr old can conjure up…gotta love their creative minds 😉 have a wonderful long weekend Ameena.

4. May 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Hilarious! I especially liked the one where you pass the difficult questions on to her teacher! 🙂

5. May 29, 2010 7:30 pm

hahah Maya sounds like she’s full of energy, but she is adorable (sleeping in a box)!

You guys wake up at 5/6 am?? Yet another reason to appreciate mothers

6. May 29, 2010 7:39 pm

What a great post Ameena! I love reading about Maya, I think she is too cute and so full of life! You must be reminded everyday how simple life should be 😉

What a beautiful office location your brother has! What does he do?? I need to get me an office away from home I think….I think I work better that way 😉

I hope you have a wonderful weekend love!

XXOO

• May 30, 2010 7:18 am

My brother is an investment banker…he really scored with a fabulous office. I think I could work really well there too!

7. May 29, 2010 7:40 pm

This psot is too adorable! Ameena, you are fabulous. I love your writing!!

Maya is adorable but I bet it’s exhausting!!

8. May 29, 2010 7:44 pm

Reading about your relationship with Maya really gives me hope that there are still good mothers out there. There are so many bad parents out there, but you’re so great with Maya; she’s really lucky to have you 🙂

And you’re lucky to have her too! She’s absolutely adorable.

9. May 29, 2010 9:42 pm

This post is super hilarious. I like the “Teacher-in-Service” day definition- how so true that teachers need it and moms need it. Love Maya’s sleeping bag decor – clever girl! Have a fun long weekend.

10. May 30, 2010 3:55 am

Lunch at 11:30 is early? I am usually ready to eat at 10:45 but control myself until 11:30 😉

11. May 30, 2010 4:04 am

Aww maya sounds adorable! A handful, but adorable. Aren’t they all at that age?

12. May 30, 2010 5:40 am

Haha, that last picture of Maya totally looks like something I would have done at her age!! 😉 So proud of her for mastering her addition and subtraction skills – YAY!! 🙂 Next you could try having her write her own addition/subtraction story problems. And then you could have her solve it by drawing a picture… so if it’s 6 birds are in a tree, 3 fly away, she would draw 6 birds in a tree and then put X’s over 3 of them to show that they’re gone and she’ll see that 3 are left. You probably already know all of this, sorry! Teacher in me can’t shut up even in the summer!! 😉

• May 30, 2010 7:34 am

I love this idea Em! Maya already likes making up questions for me to answer so she’ll be all over this.

Thank you for the great idea, I need all the help I can get to educate my child. 🙂

13. May 30, 2010 6:06 am

Hilarious post, as always 🙂

I love the new look of your blog!!!

14. Michelle permalink
    May 30, 2010 6:33 am

haha Maya is so funny! I can’t believe she’s up at 6! I could never get up that early when I was a child.

15. May 30, 2010 6:33 am

5 a.m ? For real? I can’t even fit in 5 mins of yoga at ANY time.
    Great post…
    And I want to work at your husbands’ workplace…please, pretty please?

16. May 30, 2010 6:34 am

Maya is so cute! Love how you tracked her day.

17. May 30, 2010 8:31 am

So cute. Her question about what happens when people die is so profound, isn’t it? I’m pretty sure she’s aware of reincarnation. Ha.
    Your early lunch looks lovely, as does your brother’s office area. Very cool.

May 30, 2010 8:56 am

I love this post. Maya is so adorable!

19. May 30, 2010 11:17 am

How cute that she loves sleeping in her sleeping bag! I used to love sleeping in “forts” — my sis and I would drape blankets all over the furniture and sleep in there — it drove my mom nuts (and now I know why, lol!)! 🙂

20. actorsdiet permalink
    May 30, 2010 11:17 am

that le pain quiche is so good – but it’s so small (abe complained)

21. May 30, 2010 11:46 am

Aww, such a cute post. A friend of ours was just telling us the joys of being awoken at 5:30AM to the sounds of little hungry voices in your ear, LOL. 🙂

Jenn

22. May 30, 2010 11:58 am

too funny. “ask your teacher” that’s similar to what i say to the kids i babysit for when they ask me something i don’t want to answer but i say “ask your parents” 🙂

23. traynharder23 permalink
    May 30, 2010 2:09 pm

i love this post. i SO want to sleep in a sleeping bag. i know, i’m 24. wtf.

and i love the new site. i was WITHOUT INTERNET FOR 24 hours! AUGH! this is how messed up and addicted to the internet i am. gah.

great seeing you guys at TRADER joe’s! i love hanging out with you guys!

maybe i need 2 espressos. =D

24. May 30, 2010 2:38 pm

How adorable is Maya in that sleeping bag!?! haha! I totally used to do stuff like that when I was younger too! I love that she calls you “Mama” too!

25. May 30, 2010 3:22 pm

But don’t you know that inquisitive, silly, question-filled minds are only tell-tale signs of future genius? As a child, I don’t think there’s a better way to be. Congratulations Ameena–your daughter wins the genetic lottery. 🙂

26. May 30, 2010 4:18 pm

Oh, I feel you. Already not looking forward to Summer at our house. I also understand early-bird lunch. When you have breakfast at 5am, there is no reason to wait until noon to eat.

27. May 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Maya sure is the star of the family. She lightens up the posts.

28. highonhealthy permalink
    May 30, 2010 9:11 pm

I eat early lunches all the time.. or sometimes late breakfasts. Same difference I suppose.

I’m not going to lie, Maya’s babydoll kind of creeps me out. There’s something inexplicably unnerving about the eyes.

29. May 31, 2010 3:44 am

Guess what?! I was gonna choose THIS theme for my blog too! Hee hee. We obviously have similar tastes.

Loving this Maya-centric posts. It’s so clear (despite the humorous sarcasm) that you adore her so. I love the picture of the carbo-loading Maya. She’s even giving you a wink! A model in the making? 😉

30. May 31, 2010 5:10 am

You have a really sweet looking daughter. 🙂

31. May 31, 2010 7:12 am

OMG I love this! And I love the umbrellas :o)

32. May 31, 2010 8:29 am

Maya is so gorgeous!!

33. June 1, 2010 4:21 am

ADORABLE post. so funny. your daughter seems like so much fun! 🙂

34. June 1, 2010 9:14 am

Maya is way too adorable!

xo

35. Med permalink
    June 1, 2010 5:31 pm

Not sure how it is at Maya’s preschool but at my district and Anthony’s as well, in service days are usually a LOT of work: Workshops, training, and no time given to teachers for planning. I would much rather have the students all day (unless of course it is a rare training that presents useful and innovative teaching strategies that will benefit my students, in which case I enjoy the training)

36. June 4, 2010 2:59 am

That seriously looks like the funnest day. I continue to be so inspired by Maya’s creative and mathematical abilities… as well as her abilities to put food away! Go super mom, Go! 🙂