The Good and the Bad…Weekend Recap

May 16, 2010

The Good: My father-in-law was kind enough to surprise me with an iPad this weekend….

The Bad: My order of importance has dropped even further since the iPad’s arrival.  Ali’s priorities are now his car, his computer, his iPhone, my iPad and then me.  His girlfriend work in Las Vegas may figure into that list as well but I suppose I’ll determine that tomorrow.

The Good: We went to a new restaurant called La Provence and for a blissful hour I almost felt like I was back in Paris at the Laduree.

The Bad: I couldn’t eat the delicious looking French bread that came with my meal and had to reluctantly surrendered it to Maya’s grubby little hands.  I couldn’t eat any of the desserts either.  And I had to take her potty.  Twice.

The Good: I have to go to a lunch event today so I got out of my sweats for a change.  Instead I put on a confining Indian outfit, some painful jewelry, and slapped on a little blush in hopes that nobody would notice I have…

The Bad: Pink eye.  Again.  I thought this was something kindergarten children get?  So why, at 34 am I still getting pink eye?  Although I should consider myself lucky I suppose because soon-to-be kindergartener Maya + pink eye + eye drops = an inevitable crying session.  Maybe my having the pink eye is actually a good thing.

The Good: You have some questions for me!  Several readers asked to see Ali and my wedding pictures.

The Bad: We got married SO LONG AGO that our photos are not in a digital format.  Yes we are THAT old.  I will find a scanner and scan a few soon.

The Good: Another reader asked what my favorite book is.

The Bad: There is no way I can narrow it down to one.  But a few of my favorites are:

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult
The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls
Madras on Rainy Days by Samina Ali
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

The Good: There are more questions to answer.

The Bad: Maya needs to be dropped off at her grandparent’s place 35 miles away before we go to our lunch event so I have to get going.
The Bad Part II: Maya could care less that we are leaving her for 2 days.
The Bad Part III: I’m secretly not that sad that I’m leaving her for 2 days.

Can you feel the love?

1. louisianagrown permalink
    May 16, 2010 4:06 pm

I can’t imagine anyone’s productivity being very high with an iPad around. I have avoided that and the iPhone for that very reason. I’d probably never catch a husband if I had one of those. That’s assuming I’ll catch a husband without one…

2. May 16, 2010 4:15 pm

My wedding pics weren’t digital either. I just snapped pictures of the photos with my camera and downloaded them. Much easier than scanning for me 🙂

3. May 16, 2010 4:16 pm

i’m sure my mother was never sad when dropping me and the sibs off somewhere haha. so don’t feel bad 🙂

4. May 16, 2010 4:37 pm

What is your opinion of the iPad? My friend wrote a rather amusing review of it for the Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/irene-macabante/one-womans-ipad-review-it_b_567718.html?ref=fb&src=sp#sb=869739,b=facebook

Anyway, you look GORGEOUS in that picture with you and Ali. Such a good picture of you two. I would also love to see wedding photos, but I know what you mean about pre-digital photos. I have so many, and scanning is a chore.

I like your book list 🙂 I can’t name my favorite book either. I usually list about 10.

Have fun in Vegas 🙂

5. Danielle permalink
    May 16, 2010 4:46 pm

I STILL don’t know what an iPad is lol. People have tried to explain it to me as “sort of like the iPhone…” but I don’t fully understand that either.

Yesss post some wedding pictures 😀

6. May 16, 2010 4:50 pm

your last remarks..that is just being real. good stuff.

i love salmon. so much.
    i could never be a vegetarian!

i hope u catch ali alone and there are no meddling home-wreckers 🙂

i am a bit down now – thanks for writing a post to keep me back into real life.

7. May 16, 2010 4:54 pm

You look gorgeous. Even with a gross eye. he he he…

My Sister’s Keeper was a wonderful book. I wasn’t so hot on the movie… but oh well.

8. traynharder23 permalink
    May 16, 2010 5:21 pm

OMG you got an ipad?! i’m lucky if i get a quarter out of my mom for doing well on an exam!!

=D

salmon is the best.

you look gorgeous! it is sad that a)you have pink eye, and b) the minute i read that i attempt to recall the causative microbe, the symptoms, and the treatment. microbiology sucks.

aww poor maya. well….you do get to go to vegas. LIVE IT UP!

9. actorsdiet permalink
    May 16, 2010 5:29 pm

omigod an ipad!!! wow! sorry about the pink eye – that really really really stinks! good thing the drops do their thing quickly.

10. May 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Wow, the iPad sounds VERY COOL!! I love my iphone so I can only imagine what they must be like…

11. May 16, 2010 5:41 pm

you really need to stop getting poo in your eye! That’s what pink eye comes from, no?

12. May 16, 2010 5:57 pm

I feel the love 😉 It’s that special kind of real love that goes way deep.

Sorry to hear that you weren’t able to enjoy any bread or dessert at lunch; I definitely know how you feel. My peanut allergy has kept me from enjoying so many foods while I was out/travelling, that I’ve lost count of the instances that I’ve had to watch someone eating the delicious things I’d love to try. Allergies. suck.

13. May 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Oooooh, so sorry that you have pink eye!!! Hope it clears up soon!

I can’t WAIT to hear your thoughts on the i-pad!

14. May 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Sounds like you’ve been having a rough week, Ameena … I hope this weekend turns out to be a great experience and much better than you expected! You poor girl, with pinkeye again. I can’t tell in the picture, though – instead, you look so pretty! I can’t wait to see the wedding pictures! 🙂

15. May 16, 2010 6:10 pm

Odd question, but do you wear contact lenses? I got pink eye like 3 times in the 2 years I wore mine. You touch your eyes WAY more if you wear contact lenses, which subjects your eyes to so many more germs.

• May 16, 2010 6:55 pm

I do wear contacts which definitely doesn’t help my pink eye situation. But I hate wearing glasses because I just can’t see as well.

When will they come out with a foolproof vision-correction surgery?? I’d pay about a million dollars for it!!

16. May 16, 2010 6:14 pm

So jealous of the iPad!! I bet it’s awesome 🙂

I love My Sister’s Keeper as well–I should really did that out along with my other JP books. They’re so good!!

17. May 16, 2010 6:26 pm

Yay for the ipad! My dad and I were trying to get it for my mum for mother’s day but every Apple store in our area has a waitlist for it- so we’re on it and hopefully getting her a very belated one soon 🙂
    Have fun in Vegas- sounds like a well deserved good time!

18. Michelle permalink
    May 16, 2010 6:37 pm

I loved My Sister’s Keeper. I just added your list to my list of summer reads! Can’t wait to get on those.

19. May 16, 2010 6:58 pm

I read A Fine Balance almost 10 years ago, but it is still hands down one of my favorite books. He is an incredible writer. Have you read A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth?

20. May 16, 2010 7:23 pm

LOL I like that the good and bad ends with the bad part II and III.

The La Provence looks wonderful!

21. May 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Haha great post! And you shouldn’t feel bad – you are a person, human being and deserve time to yourself!
    I am totally watching The Hangover now – so funny – and eating more chocolate than I should be after telling myself to chill out with it already…I don’t learn…I just don’t…have a great trip!
    And I loved My Sister’s Keeper…it’s actually the only book by Picoult I really liked.

22. May 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Eeeek! iPad? iWant! Lucky ducky! Sorry about the pink eye 😦 good thing is you can’t tell from the picture that you’ve got pink eye. That’s a cute picture of you and Ali.

23. May 16, 2010 9:51 pm

Yeah for the iPad but I have been playing with it for 30+ days and it is not as useful as a computer – Mac or Windows – for those of us who deal with numbers and need Excel. My daughter likes it as she gets to watch videos during long drives. Things result in mixed blessings sometimes. La Provence sounds great. Have a great time in Vegas!

24. May 16, 2010 9:59 pm

iPad! exciting. ack pink eye, not something pleasant! hope that clears up asap for you. i really wish we’d be in vegas at the same time bt i’m not going till the 27th! enjoy your maya-free time, it’ll just make you rejuvenated and ready to be the awesome, loving, none of that excessively peppy and perfect soccer mom bullshit mama that you are!

25. nadia permalink
    May 16, 2010 10:06 pm

hey girlie, u forgot to mention ur ipad today…how cool, sort of. good luck w maya and ali though, i know how obsessed ayla and shani get around those things! am sooooo proud of maya, she is so ready for the triple digit addition;) have the best time in vegas and we have to hit up ur french place, that looked amazing beyond words!
    XOXOXOXO
    think of moi in vegas!!!

26. May 16, 2010 10:41 pm

Funny how the ipad has squeezed itself into Ali’s priority list. LOL. Not to mention that it’s your new toy. 🙂 Though I am tempted to get one myself.

Hope the pink eye clears up soon.

27. May 17, 2010 4:45 am

Oh I feel the love… ❤

Pinkeye sucks. Feel betterrrr!!

28. May 17, 2010 4:52 am

I can’t tell that you have pink eye (you know, based on that one picture alone, lol), but ughhh… frustrating.

Ahhhh Laduree. I started taking pics when I was there, which led to the guy behind me taking pics, and HE got reprimanded. High security! 🙂

29. May 17, 2010 5:28 am

The lunch place looks really nice. you got an ipad…? I want one.

Hope you are having a good Monday.

30. May 17, 2010 5:37 am

The counter of sweets is amazing. I love the coloured macaroons, when I’m in the city, I seek out good bakeries that have them. 🙂

31. May 17, 2010 7:10 am

OH MY GOSH it’s like my heaven!! I love french macaron’s and wish they were cheaper AND more easily found in the US. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

32. May 17, 2010 7:22 am

oh that iPad is going to be the “new family member”

TRUST ME.

Mine is only “MINE” if I am alone. than JJ has taken primary ownership of it, than hubs and Kyle just gives me the mopey eyes!

haha

you’re gonna love buying apps!

PINK EYE??? must be going around because our sunday bbq only had HALF of it’s supposed attendees because of a bad case of that! what gives??

I’ve never had it…knock knock on things! but you look beautiful in your Indian dress and painful jewelry! haha

Happy Monday

33. May 17, 2010 8:33 am

omg its so weird to see a candid pic of the ipad! this is the first time ive seen it in almost real life. and its HUGE, and not just in comparison to ur little girl ❤ hehe. wow, i dont even know much about the iPad… is it a business thing? is it for writing… can u make phonecalls and have internet and such…(seriously im really clueless lol)

34. fitandfortysomething permalink
    May 17, 2010 8:35 am

looks like you had a good weekend!

May 17, 2010 9:13 am

Im not sure I understand what the Ipad is, but people sure seem to love it!!

Ive never had pink eye, but I know lots of full grown people that have gotten in. I heard it was from getting poo particles in your eye, but I really hope thats not true.

36. May 17, 2010 11:31 am

I don’t know exactly what an iPad is…I hear a lot about them. It just looks like a giant iPhone to me? I’m so behind the times.
    Those pictures remind me of Paris too..I loved Paris, I wish I could go back. Except once I got in trouble with the Parisian police (for the most ridiculous reason ever…long story) which was really unpleasant because I don’t speak much French, and I couldn’t understand what they were yelling at me. But I still love it there.
    I’m sorry to hear you have pink eye. I have never had it, but I think its the type of thing that mostly children get because they are so touchy feely and it is so contagious. Adults do get it too though. I hope it gets better soon!
    I’ve read 3 out of your 5 favourite books, which makes me think we have the same taste and I would probably like the other 2. So I will be looking for those.
    Have a great time in Vegas!

37. May 17, 2010 11:34 am

The iPad is the size of Maya’s head! Too funny. I can see a post coming on handling little girl fingerprints on iPads for sure–she looks totally enthused with it.

I never got pinkeye until this year, at the ripe old age of thirty, and I don’t even have the “I have a kindergardner” excuse! You really can’t tell in the picture, so worry not–it’s nothing blush and a bit of lip gloss can’t handle.

38. May 17, 2010 11:53 am

Is it sad that I don’t even know what an iPad is?!?! 😉

*Knock on wood* I’ve managed to escape pink eye somehow, but lots of other teachers at my school get it. But I can’t even tell you have it in the picture… you look gorgeous as always!! 🙂

39. May 17, 2010 12:11 pm

I can’t believe your father-in-law got you an iPad? My husband has been begging me for one forever, even when the iPad was just an Internet rumor. Maybe I should tell him to start asking my father.

40. May 17, 2010 1:11 pm

What a great gift…I’m glad Maya and Ali like it too, lol! That restaurant looks incredible…I love the pretty macarons!

Have a wonderful trip!

41. oc2seattle permalink
    May 17, 2010 2:18 pm

Have so much fun in Vegas. If you have a chance and haven’t already – give Bouchon at the Venetian a try, it is my favorite French bistro in Vegas, but then, can you ever go wrong with a Thomas Keller restaurant?

42. May 17, 2010 4:14 pm

Congrats on the new gift! Having anything mac in the house is dangerous…all of our attention goes there and no where else 😉

I hope you have a wonderful couple days! You look gorgeous! Pink eye is a pain in the hiney! UGH I used to get it all the time. Now I try never to touch my eyes.

I know giving up white fluffy bread sucks….it is so good. but not having the tummy aches suits me just fine 😉

XXOO

43. highonhealthy permalink
    May 17, 2010 4:23 pm

Pink eye? I’ve had that twice this year and almost three times but I caught it coming and doused my eye with some pink eye drops that I found at the drug store. Seemed to work. I’m protesting that adult pink eye thing too. Seriously, pink eye should stay in childhood. You still look gorgeous though. 🙂

All of your favorite books are getting added to my already too long “must read” book list. They sound good so hopefully one day I’ll get away from the computer and start reading again.

44. May 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Whenever I’m around kids I always get weird kiddy illnesses! I hope you get better before Vegas!

45. May 17, 2010 7:26 pm

I’m so sorry you have pink eye! 😦 You look wonderful in that picture though!

46. May 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Wow and iPad! 🙂 Such a nice father-in-law you have there. You and your husband look gorgeous together! 😀 Have fun in Vegas!

47. May 17, 2010 9:13 pm

“We got married SO LONG AGO that our photos are not in a digital format. Yes we are THAT old. I will find a scanner and scan a few soon.”

US TOO!!! Readers asked after i posted the story of how we met a few days ago b/c it was our 9th anniversary…and the same…they are not digital!

The ipad, nice.

Back in SD soon 🙂 Can’t wait to get there!

48. May 17, 2010 10:24 pm

Pfft, kids drive me nuts–I suspect I’ll be handing mine off to my parents many a weekend. C’mon my lovely spawn, time to visit grandma and granpa!

You look super pretty in your Indian outfit! Your features are so aquiline but delicate too–great bone structure!

49. May 22, 2010 5:59 am

Wow! I don’t know what an IPad is, but it looks fun. lol I loved The Kite Runner. Couldn’t put it down, had to read it in the bathtub so I could cry and no one would know. How did you find out that you were gluten-intolerant? Doctor, or trial and error? I am having some major tummy troubles and I just don’t know what to do. My skin is freaking out, too. 😦