5 Things I’m Excited About

May 14, 2010

My husband is married to his car, his computer, his iPhone, and me.  In that order.  It’s not easy to be on the bottom of the food chain but I recently realized that I cannot depend on someone else to entertainment me, otherwise, I may be waiting to be entertained forever.  So I have been trying to inject a bit of excitement in my life lately and I am pleased to say that I’ve had some success.

I am excited because….

1. I am going to Las Vegas on Monday.  After watching Ali take off to Vegas 2 weeks in a row I finally decided to join him on his next trip.  In addition to eating tons of great food and checking out all the new hotels that have cropped up since my last visit a year ago, I am also interested to see if there is another “wife” in his life that I should be concerned about.  3 trips in one month is a tiny bit suspicious, wouldn’t you say?

2. I met a new friend.  Tracy and I met in Westwood yesterday and had a great time chatting and walking around.  In addition to being a very smart person, she dominates cross fit,  and is so motivated and patient and kind.  And generous.   Maya and her got off to a rough start but then Tracy gave Maya a little stuffed charm and presto, Maya invited her over to play and see her room.  Free stuff + Maya = Instant Friendship.  Thanks Tracy for putting up with Maya and I, we had a great time and can’t wait to do it again.

3. I no longer dread my Toastmaster’s meetings.  I went to Toastmaster’s today and gave the Quote of the Day.  I didn’t stutter.  I wasn’t nervous.  I didn’t make an idiot out of myself.  I was also successful in using the “Word of the Day.”  Extra credit for me!

4. Maya can now add numbers.  I’ve been working with her for 30-45 minutes every day and in just a few short weeks she went from writing her numbers backwards to being able to add some very impressive figures.

We’ve also been working on reading and writing and have made some decent progress there too.  Even more impressive?  I haven’t yelled at her or lost my temper once!  I am so excited by my newfound patience that it almost deserves to be #5…but instead….

5. I finally registered for a formspring account.  I am excited to see what (if any) questions people have for me.  So go ahead…make my day and Ask Me Anything.

1. traynharder23 permalink
    May 14, 2010 2:27 pm

OMG. you are WAYYY TOO NICE! You guys were great. Yeah, i’ve learned that one should bear gifts…to win their way into little ones’ hearts. LOL! I”M glad we’re friends! we SHALL keep this up. we live so close to each other NOT to keep hanging out. =D omg, i’m glad you put up with me talking your ear off! lol. you don’t need no toastmasters! lol. maybe if B and i become better friends, you’ll meet him too.

and yes, that vision of mommy picking up cheetohs daintily with chopsticks. PRICELESS.

awesome work on the math! awesome! AWESOME!
    she’s so smart and will go far.

2. May 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Have a blasty in LV!!! I am soo proud of maya!!

3. actorsdiet permalink
    May 14, 2010 2:58 pm

these are all great things – have fun in vegas! take lots of pix!

4. May 14, 2010 3:10 pm

Maya is a little genius. I am insanely jealous of Vegas…man, that’s what life is about, just going and taking “risks” and getting out there. Some people don’t even go out to eat or to the movies because they’re so self-absorbed or obsessed with other the internet or doing something active or whatever!…
    Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

5. May 14, 2010 3:10 pm

good job maya! smart girl!!! oh and enjoy vegas- urghh so jealousssss 😦

xoxo

6. May 14, 2010 3:24 pm

awesome things to be excited about. so glad you got maya to write her numbers correctly haha 🙂

7. May 14, 2010 3:37 pm

super jealous on the Vegas front. Have a ball!!

8. May 14, 2010 3:46 pm

p.s I love your “tags” for your posts…”my husband is addicted to technology” – hah!!

9. May 14, 2010 3:56 pm

I love the food in Vegas. I could do without the smoking and the people, but the food is great. Can’t wait to hear about it! That’s great about Toastmasters, and Maya’s addition skills 🙂 Let me know what you think of Formspring. I’m afraid to get one of those accounts!
    Have a good weekend 🙂

10. May 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Oh, see my husband’s married to his iPhone first. That’s where we differ. Second would be his Mac, but I get why Ali isn’t like that.

So I know you were joking with #1 but I’d so go just to see. I’m jealous and paranoid like that. Have fun!

11. Katherine: What About Summer? permalink
    May 14, 2010 4:22 pm

aw yay; I’m excited about all these things for you! thanks for sharing

12. May 14, 2010 4:23 pm

So many awesome things – but i definitely am in awe of the public speaking/toastmasters you’re doing! i’ve mentioned it before that i couldn’t imagine speaking in front of tons of people, but i’ll say it again 😉 congrats! and same goes to maya.
    have fun in vegas!!

13. May 14, 2010 4:29 pm

vegas?
    wow.
    just wow.

14. May 14, 2010 4:49 pm

I love making list of things I’m happy about. It always puts me in such a great mood! I agree with guys and electronics…thank goodness my bf doesn’t have a car yet!

15. May 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Good job with the Toastmasters, Ameena! I’m very proud of you 🙂 It’s has got to be really tough to stand up in front of all those people (goodness knows I dread it), so I admire your hard work with this. And nice job Maya for her work with numbers (although I know most of the credit goes to you 🙂 ).

Oh! Thanks again for the reminder to bring a Z-pack to China. I’m definitely bringing that – better safe than sorry!

16. May 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Bottom of the food chain or not, your life is far more exciting than mine. Vegas? Oh I would kill for that kind of excitement. I think I seriously need to do something crazy and reckless very soon…

I’ve been thinking about getting a formspring account, but I’m honestly kind of scared of what some people might want to know… you might be right, though, and it might be kind of exciting…

17. May 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Way to go for the toastmasters victory!!! You’re a stronger person than I…

18. May 14, 2010 6:53 pm

Have fun in Vegas and don’t worry too much about your hubby having another “wife”. 😛

19. May 14, 2010 6:53 pm

I am excited for all your upcoming excitment! And congrats on toastmasters!

20. May 14, 2010 7:13 pm

Kudos to you for generating your own excitement – that’s how it should be! Making new friends is so exciting. I feel a bit starved for great girl company lately… all of my ladybugs are far away. I think that girlfriends are critical for quality of life!

21. May 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Good job with Toastmasters!

Have fun in Vegas!

22. May 14, 2010 7:49 pm

hmm i heard Formsrping can be easily abused, so be careful and make sure you protect yourself!

• May 15, 2010 10:42 am

Hi – I am totally new to Formspring so if you have any tips on how to protect myself I would love to hear them!!

23. May 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Okay, Ameena. I left the same aghast comment on Tra’s blog. I can’t believe you guys met up…behind my back, when I’m long gone! lol! I’m kidding…but I was very sad! Wish I could have joined you guys, too! How did Tra and Maya get off to a rough start though? Curious…

Have fun in Las Vegas! Will you be doing any gambling?

24. May 14, 2010 10:18 pm

You deserve a good time. Good choice in Vegas. Definitely 5 things you should be happy about. Nice!!

25. May 15, 2010 3:22 am

Have fun in Vegas!!! I’m terrified of Toastmasters. I cannot get up and speak to groups! You rock.

26. May 15, 2010 7:00 am

Have a blast in Vegas!! Can you believe I’ve never been before?!

WAY TO GO Maya!!!!!!! As a teacher it makes my heart so happy to hear about parents sitting down and working with their children at home – it makes SUCH a difference!! Seriously, you have no idea just how many of my kids have only done simple math and reading in school. Their parents are “too busy.” Ugh.

27. May 15, 2010 7:59 am

very exciting indeed! i am going to vegas in a couple of weeks, so sad we won’t be there at the same time though!!!!!! yay maya, her math skills haev now surpassed mine!

28. May 15, 2010 8:41 am

Yay Maya!!! Thats quite an accomplishment.

29. May 15, 2010 9:25 am

Oooh, Vegas?! I must admit that I haven’t been to Vegas in 4-5 years. It has its charm, no doubt, but I have a 36-hour-time limit there until I totally implode.
    Have a great time, though!
    Glad that other things seem to be well-aligned, and enjoy the weekend!

30. May 15, 2010 11:30 am

don’t you just LOVE watching your offspring learn new things…it’s the best!

I love your list! good for you for all of them!

I just heard of formspring the other day. I guess I am off to check it out!

I am too way insecure to really ask people to anonymously tell me what they think!

haha

you are a brave woman! xoxoxo

31. May 15, 2010 1:29 pm

I’m so jealous of your jetsetting lifestyle. Las Vegas?? Ooo!! Great job, Maya!

32. highonhealthy permalink
    May 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Las Vegas! That would be so much fun.. only 2 more years until I should even bother thinking about going.

Maya is a smart cookie; I looked over her math stuff and she got it all right (I need a life..)! I’m surprised I still know how to do simple addition considering the fact that I haven’t really been doing anything math related for quite awhile.

33. May 15, 2010 5:38 pm

I love Vegas! I have been there twice in my life, and both times were very exciting. That is definitely something to look forward to.

New friends are exciting too. If you still lived in Toronto, I would be happy to take you to Fresh! Or I could come to L.A. This is me dreaming. Or should I say wishful thinking? I’m also in need of a vacation, AND in need of things to be excited about.

34. Danielle permalink
    May 15, 2010 7:09 pm

I’m glad the Toastmaster meetings are going well! Public speaking definitely gets easier with practice 🙂

And congrats to Maya & her school work. I still have trouble with 6+7 (did I really just admit that?)

Have fun in Vegas!

35. May 15, 2010 7:37 pm

omg so i have been meaning to tell you that i am so jealz that you and tra met up! love that girl’s raw humor!

and have a blast in vegas!

formspring, i apparently dont need one for people to ask me anything…and usually the things they ask are vile. good luck with that one girl!

May 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Good job Maya!!

My boyfriend is married to hockey, and baseball, and any other sport really. I havent learned to get past it quite yet.

37. May 16, 2010 7:02 am

Wow it sounds like things are going pretty good for you!
    Las Vegas..exciting!! I’ve always wanted to go.
    And congrats on the Toastmaster’s!! Wooo!

38. May 16, 2010 7:48 am

Loved this post Ameena! This one kept me smiling throughout the whole read. Love it when good things happen to good people. It’s been a hectic weekend for us so I haven’t really gotten a chance to read many blogs yet. Was itching to read yours as soon as I got the email notification but hadn’t had a chance till now.
    Great job with being patient with Maya and her math, hard work does pay off! And so happy for you with toastmasters! Keep rockin’ girl! And be careful with the formspring page. There are some crazies out there who just get a kick outta hurting others. Don’t want to see you getting hurt. Have fun and always remember to protect yourself and your family.

39. May 16, 2010 10:47 am

Yay for Maya, that is pretty impressive! And congrats to you for Toastmasters!! I hope you have a fabulous time in Vegas!

40. May 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Congrats with the toastmasters and the teaching math! Neither one is easy. Especially not teaching! You must have a knack for it!

I wish I could get my students to learn grammar as easily as Maya seems to have picked up arithmetic!

41. November 23, 2013 1:29 pm

I really enjoyed this! Please post more! Keep up the great work!

1. The Good and the Bad…Weekend Recap « Fancy That…Fancy This