Life-Changing

March 25, 2010

Call me crazy and/or shallow but I have to say that Yuko’s Japanese Hair Straightening product ranks #1 on my list of life-changing inventions.  Okay, so hair straightening isn’t exactly on par with Karl Benz’s invention of the first automobile or Eli Whitney’s cotton gin, but I have to say that if given a choice, I’d certainly choose good hair over 100% cotton socks or one of the shoddy-made Mercedes’ that fill the streets of Los Angeles.  But that is another post – or two – altogether.

I have visited the same Japanese salon every 6-8 months for the past 8 years to get my hair straightened.  But after reading so much this past year about how harmful chemicals affect one’s metabolism, I concluded that the likely use of  formaldehyde didn’t exactly fit into my newly adapted organic lifestyle.  So I decided I wasn’t going to endure the 2-4 hour process anymore and made friends with my blow dryer and flat-iron instead.

Despite my best efforts, however, my hair has been simply uncontrollable the past few weeks.  So uncontrollable, in fact, that it was putting me in an even worse mood than usual.  And that, my friends, is a really bad mood (Ali will be only too happy to confirm this).  I finally decided enough was enough and for the sake of my family’s happiness I called up my straightening guru yesterday and begged him to see me.  After spending 2 hours of quality time with him today I am pleased to say that good humor (and manageable hair) has once again been restored in the Din household.

I will never have good hair and I have made peace with that, but the straightening process eliminates 99% of my frizz and my kinky Indian curls (I’d like to thank my dad for this).  The best part of all is that I don’t need to use a flat-iron or blow dryer!  The amount of time I save is immeasurable.

I do feel guilty that I am now probably full of cancer causing chemicals that no amount of organic vegetables can counteract…but as my mom said, “We just do the best we can.”  And I going to continue to do the best I can…but with straight hair!

What can’t you live without, even when you know it isn’t good for you?

1. March 25, 2010 10:03 pm

Straightening it is better than stressing about it 😉 Sometimes you just gotta do what cha gotta do right?

• March 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Forgot to answer your question. I can’t live without pop. I’ll give up every other “junk” food but pop. Soooo bad, I know. I’m working on it.

2. March 25, 2010 10:16 pm

have you tried the asian pomade “tancho”? works wonders for frizz.

3. March 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Coffee really isnt good for me, at all. But I drink it and like it. And you have tons of food allergies as do i, so you know when you find something that doesnt upset your body, you go with it 🙂

4. March 26, 2010 12:51 am

I can’t live without chocolate!! I know it’s bad for me…heck, it’s bad for anyone who is a mother of a two-year-old, and trying to lose all the extra kilos she put on during preg…but 1 bite of the divine brown stuff, and I. Am. In. Heaven. ….. 😛

• March 26, 2010 8:50 am

Chocolate is definitely not something I can live without. I eat at least one piece a day!!

5. March 26, 2010 2:47 am

No reason to feel guilty… everyone has something they want to make them happy and everyone needs a vice. Mine diet soda. I drink numerous servings in the evenings, but it makes me happy. Tried to give it up countless times, but I just looooooove it!!

6. onelittlejill permalink
    March 26, 2010 2:57 am

I have to straighten my hair, but I am so lucky that it is thin and fairly easy to manage. My goddaughter has the kinky curls and it takes for-ever!! As a lisenced cosmetologist, who also care about the Earth, I support this because it is not vain, it is human. You are human to want nice hair and a life made managable.

7. March 26, 2010 3:48 am

My friend gets the same japanese hair straightening done too! She’s at the salon for hours! But she looks great! So I can understand how important it is! For someone who has naturally curly hair (turned straight after my daughter was born) I know how important good hair is! I’ve always told my husband that I will sacrifice lots of things… but hair & skincare products, as well as my fancy DC hair salon are the only things I refuse to give up 😉

I LOVE Coke Zero… I can’t give it up! I drink about 2 or 3 per week… so its not that bad 🙂

8. March 26, 2010 3:48 am

I’m a junkie for gum…with fake sugar. Unless it’s a decadent dessert I just can’t justify subjecting my teeth to sugar, so when it comes to gum I stick with the sugar-free (probably cancer-causing) stuff. Like you said, we just do our best. 🙂

9. March 26, 2010 3:52 am

i have a hair straightener. i have horrible hair. it is thick and just unmanageable…one of these days its going to cut into pixie locks…its short anyway, but i might soon go the Natalie Portman, Ellen Degeneres, or Halle Berry (sans wig) route…now if only i had the other features of those women (like the high cheekbones and tanned flawless skin…and money to pay people to dazzle me up).

10. March 26, 2010 4:05 am

I have cribbed about my poker straight hair all my life, but off late I have come to realize from other people that not having straight hair is a pain.So now I value the gift of straight hair that has been passed down from my maternal side. I am lucky cuz I get my Mum’s straight hair and soft hair from my Dad’s side.

11. March 26, 2010 4:12 am

Yes we do our best – what we can. I love carbs – noodles, starchy desserts, etc. and am trying to cut down but yummmm, it’s hard. You are beautiful no matter what.

12. March 26, 2010 4:17 am

There’s an article about this in…oh, I think it’s in the Allure for this month! There are new straightening treatments that no longer have formeldehyde…I’ll try and find it for you and give you more info!

13. March 26, 2010 4:47 am

I can’t live without celebrity gossip… I could be reading or watching real news, but no, I watch TMZ instead!

That treatment sounds great… if I had thick or curly hair, then I’d get it done, too. 🙂

14. Danielle permalink
    March 26, 2010 4:57 am

I really think life is about balance. If you’re chemical-free most of the time and get your hair straightened every once in a while then I doubt it will kill you 😉

I can relate on having naturally frizzy hair. Mine doesn’t even form curls anymore (unless I use 5 different heavy-duty beauty products)

15. March 26, 2010 5:00 am

I have curly hair too, but I like it. I can choose to wear it curly or take the time to straighten it with a flat iron if I feel wearing a more sultry style. Straight-haired people don’t really have the option.

16. March 26, 2010 5:13 am

I say that is it makes you happy – go for it! Its not like you are smoking a pack of cigarettes a day or heading to the tanning salon 4 times a week. In my mind, something will always be bad for you in your life, why not pick something that makes you happy?

17. Anjum permalink
    March 26, 2010 5:24 am

I am soooo with you on the hair straightening. I can’t live without it either. Oh, and the other thing I can’t part with – chocolate!!

18. March 26, 2010 5:40 am

Your mom’s a smart lady. I highlight my hair. I know: chemicals blah blah blah. But it makes me about 100 percent happier because I like the way I look better. Which lowers my chances of dying of a stress-induced heart attack. So it works. (See how I turned the whole chemicals-seeping-into-scalp thing into a positive? Yeah, denial works.)

19. March 26, 2010 6:12 am

i can’t live without diet coke with lime. i need one everyday or else it gets ugly haha!

and your mom is totally smart. i think that you live such a mindful life that this hair stuff is nothing to worry about. 🙂

20. March 26, 2010 6:16 am

Once or twice a month I like to have a diet coke 🙂

21. ayesha permalink
    March 26, 2010 6:23 am

soooo many things are bad for me and I cant live without but you have to look at it this way—- living without is even worse for you mentally. So overall living with is ‘gooder’ than living without!!

22. March 26, 2010 6:36 am

Isnt it crazy how much your hair affects your mood? years ago I could not live without my straigthening iron (now my hair philosophies have changed a bit but man those were crazy days without it). This isn’t quite exactly the same but i pretty much cannot live without my BlackBerry these days. It’s always with me, even though I know being constantly connected usually stresses me out more than anything else. I just…can’t put it down. I get more anxious if I don’t have it.

23. March 26, 2010 6:49 am

There are so many things I probably SHOULD omit from my diet and lifestyle (1/2 a bottle of wine nights, pot-of-coffee days so I can get by on 5 hours of sleep…), but as long as they don’t become TOO regular, I’m not going to stress. I do fry my hair with a straightener several times a week, and I really shouldn’t do that.

24. Susan permalink
    March 26, 2010 6:58 am

Coffee. In exorbitant amounts.

But what’s life without a few good vices?

25. March 26, 2010 7:12 am

Hmmm… Ive never heard of this hair straightening product. Thanks for the heads up, I’m going to look it up.
    My biggest vice is Diet Coke… and carbs.
    Have a fab weekend daaaaaahling.

26. March 26, 2010 7:39 am

You make me want to go out and get my hair straightened. I’ve been wanting to for years!

I can’t seem to live without ice cream. I make my own sometimes which isn’t so bad but I really love all kinds!

27. March 26, 2010 8:02 am

Oh girl, if I had the money and a place like that around me, I’d SO do it!!! Oh to not have to straighten my hair…
    I get my hair highlighted – full of chemicals but whatever. My natural hair color is blech… so I welcome the chemicals with open arms 🙂

28. March 26, 2010 8:14 am

i can’t live without:
    dying my hair and not with organic stuff
    drinking out of plastic water bottles
    microwaving anything and in plastic tupperware
    using sunless tanner
    i am sure there are way more things as well!

happy friday friend 🙂

29. March 26, 2010 8:40 am

I think everyone has those “guilty pleasures”. I mean, come on, we can’t really live a totally “pure” lifestyle. Or I can’t, at least.
    A few pleasures that I will not give up:
    – Pedicures (in the summer months, mainly)
    – Pizza (Sorry to mention that to you)
    – A really good dirty martini
    – My “Us” magazine subscription (which is going to run out soon, and I’m not sure how to break it to myself and my partner that I’m renewing)
    – The occasional Diet Coke – it’s too much of a “fix”, sometimes.

March 26, 2010 8:45 am

lol I have bad hair too. It never looks good and Ive given up on it.
    I cant live without coffee.

31. March 26, 2010 8:47 am

I can’t live without sugar. Some sort of sweetness is needed in my life. 😀 Glad your hair is manageable again. Mine is always easy to manage because I barely have any it is so thin. Doesn’t mean it looks good though!

32. March 26, 2010 9:42 am

Have you heard of the Brazilian deep conditioning? I admit that when I hear “Brazilian,” I think of waxing and get scared, but my salon girl assures me that it’s a deep conditioning treatment that gets rid of frizz for 3 months. Come down here. We’ll go together 😉

I’ve gotten kind of snotty about my products in recent months. I use Dermalogica on my face, and Aveda on my hair. I won’t settle for grocery store stuff anymore. I’ve accepted this.

33. March 26, 2010 10:15 am

I have a couple friends that get their hairs straightened and they look amazing… so easy just get out of the shower and boom you are good to go.

I use my straightner and curling iron more than I should be using them.

34. March 26, 2010 10:23 am

I’ve done some crazy things to my hair throughout my teens, but over the past few years I’ve tried to cut down on the chemicals I put in my hair; I’m down to hairspray and thickening mousse. That being said, my hair is naturally really straight so I don’t have to deal with any frizz. If I did, I’d probably go the straightening way too 😉

I can’t live without coffee. I gave it up once, and it just wasn’t worth it.

35. erintakescontrol permalink
    March 26, 2010 11:21 am

We all do the best we can, that’s for sure.

My biggest thing is my use of the tanning bed. In the cold winters we have here, it’s dreary and gray. We’re extremely lucky if the sun pokes thru a few times a month. I use the tanning bed to get some heat and light on my skin. It’s a mood booster during the winter!

36. March 26, 2010 12:09 pm

I have curly hair but for it to look decent I need to have some sort of mousse/gel in it. Most of the products I use are loaded with chemicals but they make the hair look a whole lot better. I have tried leaving my hair a la naturale and it is a big frizz-ball!!

37. March 26, 2010 12:57 pm

you know, sometimes it’s the little things in life that make us very happy. i would say your hair is one of those things. if having it straightened truly makes life that much easier (happy ameena!) then i think it is worth (the possiblity of) having the chemicals in your hair.

as for me, i could not live without chocolate.

38. March 26, 2010 6:47 pm

I think your Mom said it best. We have to live life too.

I just painted my nails for the first time in a year (or more)
    I think Kalli said my list perfectly! Thanks Kalli! except I don’t dye my hair (yet)

I too love coffee but drink decaf now. but I so know how it feels to just simply NEED to use something, even if it’s full of scary chemicals..

sigh
    life is a process! Glad you love your hair now!
    I have super curly hair, I just accept it! haha and using the flat iron is a royal pain. so I use it for emergencies!

love your posts Ameena! they always make me smile!!

39. March 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Haha! I love this post. I indulge in plenty of chemical filled things that no amount of veggies could counter act.
    1) none of my hair care/body care items are organic – just cheap
    2) I drink 1 diet sprite a week
    3) I still use fake spray butter on my pop corn (I have read the ingredient lists like 5 times and I still dont know what is in that) but it really helps the nutritional yeast – which is healthy – stick to the pop corn better 🙂

40. Cheryll Anderl permalink