Customer Service…Or Lack Thereof

March 5, 2010

While I started this blog to improve my writing skills, I recently realized that having a blog reaps so many other unexpected bonuses:

1. My blog is a fabulous platform for making fun of Ali and Maya.
2. I have met and continue to meet so many new people. Tomorrow I am meeting Kim for the first time. After reading her blog every day for the last few months I have come to the conclusion that she is my long-lost sister.  What a coincidence that I just so happen to be in the market for another sibling.
3. I can use this blog to complain about things and reach a much wider audience than just my family.  I believe Ali appreciates my blog for this reason alone.

I know most of you couldn’t care less about window treatments or crappy customer service, because I certainly couldn’t, but allow me to complain for just a minute about my horrible experience with 3 Day Blinds.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I have been on a home improvement spree.  This has a little to do with the fact that parts of our condo are becoming safety hazards, and a lot to do with making sure that our place looks somewhat presentable when Ali’s co-workers come for lunch this Sunday.  We might not be classy people but we can pretend to be, and I was hoping that 3 Day Blinds would help us maintain the facade.

Since our shades have metal rods sticking out of them, I decided they should be priority #1 on our lengthy list of things needing attention.  I ordered new window treatments on Monday (I hate calling them treatments) and since then 3 Day Blinds has come by to measure, re-measure, install, and re-install.  And guess what?  The shades are still damaged and still don’t fit properly.

Not only has the product and installation been a disaster but 3 Day Blinds customer service is even worse.  When the installer came in for the first time on Thursday I asked him very nicely if he wouldn’t mind removing his shoes and he said no.  So I politely explained that I have white carpet and a child and would he please take them off?  He just looked at me and said he couldn’t take his shoes off and if that was a problem than I was welcome to reschedule.

May I take a minute to point out that on the cover of the pamphlet provided by my now impossible to reach sales representative it says:

3 Day Blinds – You’ll Love the Treatment.

Well 3 Day Blinds, I don’t love the treatment, I don’t love your blinds, and your slogan is a sham.  I vote that you revise it to read:

3 Day Blinds – Not Ready in 3 Days, or Even 5 Days, and We Have a Policy Against Shoe Removal

While it is too late for me, please consider this post a public service announcement to avoid 3 Day Blinds like the plague.

What is your worst customer service experience?

1. actorsdiet permalink
    March 5, 2010 11:48 pm

ugh. i hate bad customer service! my worst experience was with my gym, 24 hour fitness. basically i’m still a member, but only b/c i’ve got no other choice. and well….now i never go. what’s wrong with me?!?!

2. March 6, 2010 12:19 am

i never intend to be in teh market for purchasing blinds because after i graduate i will surely be homeless, and can create window dressings on my cardboard box with a pair of scissors and some twine…but i’ll rememver never to go to 3 day blinds anyway. glad you liked my MILF comment, i almost didn’t send it bc it is borderline vulgur, but so am i

3. nadia khan permalink
    March 6, 2010 12:40 am

uuuuuh, so frustrating w that man not removing his shoes, you must have wanted to throw him off your balcony! i’m totally feeling your anger, awful! hope the rest of your fri was nice:)
    XOXOXOXOOXOX

4. March 6, 2010 4:07 am

Is it OK to outsource your blogging? It’s always fantastic when a company can blog for itself. However, if you’re already using a copywriter you like for your Web site and other marketing material, you may want to ask her about creating some content for your blog as well.

5. March 6, 2010 5:35 am

i’m sorry you had such a bad experience. is it too much trouble to ask for people who are competent to be in the work force? haha

6. March 6, 2010 6:30 am

Oh, I would be livid if I asked him to take his shoes off and he said no! I’ll never forget the time in college when the maintenance man had to come replace a ceiling lightbulb and when I got back from class, there were dust/dirt footprints on my bedspread!

“3 Day Blinds- You’ll need a carpet treatment after we’re done.”

7. March 6, 2010 7:08 am

Haha, that’s so awful! I feel like I’m drowning when I have to talk to customer representatives on the phone. It’s just chock full of canned lines and waiting and misunderstanding. I had an on-going battle with Verizon that lasted for about 2 months when I was transferring my cable and internet to a new address. Total nightmare!
    Have a great day!

8. March 6, 2010 7:13 am

I was told one time by the service person that by union agreement and worker safety he had to keep his shoes on but he could wear the shoe covers and he went back to the car and got those blue ones. Since then I bought a few to have them handy. The worst customer experience i got was in Hongkong a few years back buying a camera and being cheated.

9. fitandfortysomething permalink
    March 6, 2010 7:17 am

worst customer service would have to be the cable company-hate them….one of the reasons we do not have cable tv anymore. could not take the price and could not take the service on the phone calls-made me crazy!
    have a great time with Kim!

10. Danielle permalink
    March 6, 2010 7:22 am

That’s so annoying! If I were you, I’d find a new company to do the window “treatmeants” lol.

I remember when I was younger, my dad ordered a pizza and it never came. So, he kept calling them and they said they were on their way and the pizza didn’t show up until 2 HOURS later. I guess I’m fortunate that that was probably my only bad customer service experience? 😉

11. March 6, 2010 9:17 am

I really hate horrible customer service. I think my expectations are always too high. I know I wouldn’t do a shitty job, so I expect other people not to do a shitty job. I haven’t had too many terrible customer service experiences as of late, mostly because I haven’t been a customer of many services as of late. Also, I’ve realized that if you complain, they will give you free things, which tends to make me forget about the bad customer service.

Can’t wait to see you in a couple hours. Jumping in the shower now….

12. March 6, 2010 9:27 am

Hahahaha, I guess your blog is definetely an awesome way to complain and be heard…
    I mean, one thing is bad product quality. Now, bad treatment, as well?!
    Such an absurd.
    Have a great weekend, Ameena!
    Brazilian XOXO´s from a fan,
    Gabriela

13. March 6, 2010 9:28 am

Your family is awesome to let you joke about them like that. I’m sure you’re a super mother and wife.
    Omg I hate bad customer service. Whatever happened to, “the customer is always right”? One of my worst experience was with a car dealership. We had already paid deposit on the car but then a couple days later they called us and said we had to add another package to the car, costing us more money. And if we backed out we lose our deposit. Now I think all car dealerships are evil.

14. March 6, 2010 9:44 am

That is dreadful that he refused to remove his shoes. Thanks for mentioning this.

I have an whole blog about removing shoes in homes: Shoes Off at the Door, Please You might like to take a look.

15. March 6, 2010 10:14 am

thanks for the heads up about that terrible blind company. little do they know how many people you can reach with your blog, hehe.
    bad customer service is a major turn-off. i always thought the motto was “the customer is always right”. guess not with these idiots.

16. March 6, 2010 11:03 am

Oh gosh! I think I would have told him to get the hell out of my house. But I am a bit too vocal at times.

I have way too many bad customer service issues, especially with the cell phone company and our mortgage company. And the dentist. I don’t want to think about them right now though. It’s Saturday… and I want to try to chill. 😉

I love how much blogging lets us connect with other people. And I love meeting other bloggers. Kim is great! I really relate to her too. We’ve had a few conversations about things I wish I could be more open about on my blog!

17. March 6, 2010 11:37 am

I really hate having to deal with any kind of customer service; no place that I’ve come across really comes to mind as being exceptional in that area.

Blogging is great for meeting new people. I really wish I didn’t feel so isolated up here in the Great North, though. Seems like there are no bloggers in my area!

18. March 6, 2010 1:53 pm

Poor customer service is such a shame — don’t companies realize that word of mouth is so important?! Thanks for sharing your experience!

19. March 6, 2010 2:02 pm

What a dick, I wouldn’t have let him in my house. After kicking him out I would have complained to his manager and then found a new company. Then again, I guess when you don’t have much time to get things done, you don’t have much of a choice.

March 6, 2010 3:54 pm

He wouldnt take off his shoes? What an ass. Granted, I was HORRIBLE when I worked in customer service, and Im pretty sure some people complained about me the same way, but whatever, I still think its awful.

My worst customer service experience was actually at Safeway. Usually theyre really good, but the guy working the register actually stopped ringing my items in to talk to a coworker. They chatted it up while I stood there absolutely shocked. It wasnt a professional conversation either, and he actually said F*** RIGHT in front of me. I dont care if Im young and you think maybe Im cool or something, Im NOT cool, and that is NOT ok.

21. onelittlejill permalink
    March 6, 2010 5:08 pm

Unfortunately, my worst customer service was from Target- which sucked because I really love them a lot and could not possibly think of boycotting them, which is what I do when I get bad service!

I am jealous you met Kim; she has one of the best written, most inpiring blogs!

22. ayesha permalink
    March 6, 2010 6:52 pm

What??!!!
    he refused to take off his shoes??!! unbelievable!! putting outside shoes on white carpet sounds painful….

23. March 6, 2010 9:37 pm

oh my goodness, I ‘d need a new blog just to begin!

however lately, my beef is with that on-line Tiffanys sham company that promised my fake ring was real and came from Europe and not Beijing.

We did a home remodel in 2007 and boy do we have stories for you.

aaaaack I hate crappy service. Sorry you had to deal with that!

xoxo

24. March 6, 2010 10:31 pm

haha – there are lots of other benefits to blogging!

25. March 7, 2010 4:30 am

What a great post 🙂

And yeah, I like Kim a lot too…she says some stuff that I can completely relate too. Excellent writer too…like yourself 🙂

26. frogsandmen permalink
    March 7, 2010 9:05 am

ugh customer service. thank goodness for the blogosphere
    a bientot
    the paris food blague

27. March 7, 2010 11:42 am

Hello Lovely – great post! Customer service – I could write a book…hey – possible idea?…

• March 7, 2010 12:50 pm

Well, I’m so sorry for your experience, but please don’t judge the whole company with one episode. I work for 3dayblinds and have never had this happen to one of my client. Maybe you dealt with new personnel. My experience with my clients is to make sure they are satisfied. Any time there is a problem, especially damage, I replace their blinds at no charge to the client. Who the heck were you dealing with. There are thousands who are very happy with 3Day. Contact me and I’ll “hook you up”.

28. March 7, 2010 5:43 pm

Ari bought a Flip Cam a few months ago, which promptly broke. They refused to be of any help and wouldn’t even speak to him about it!

29. March 7, 2010 6:36 pm

Haha, I like to complain and make fun of people on my blog too. The biggest perks!
    I’ve never really had such terrible customer service yet…but I hate overly GOOD customer service more. Like, people who follow you asking continuously if they can help you, and trying to force their products on you.