Haiti

January 13, 2010

I have been consumed by the news today.  I cannot stop watching the horrible images that keep flashing by on the television.  The sadness, the unbelievable destruction, it just kills me to see it.  Estimates are already at 100,000 casualties and the number is sure to rise.  With collapsed hospitals, no food, water, or medicine, possible looting and riots, and a closed airport, Haiti is facing seemingly insurmountable challenges.

How can a country already attempting to recover from so many other natural disasters face yet another hurdle?  How does a country dust themselves off and carry on again when 80% of its citizens already live below the poverty line ?  Where do they even start?

No this isn’t the worst humanitarian crisis ever and unfortunately it won’t be the last, but for me this one really hits home.  Living in California, this could easily be our crisis. And if scientists are right, it will be one day.  So I have to ask myself…what would I do if an earthquake of this magnitude occurred here in Los Angeles?  Since simply contemplating that question sends my brain into a panic, I cannot imagine the fear of those living through this nightmare.

It is during these types of crisis that I envy those who can physically help those in need.  Those who can be present and make a difference – Doctors Without Borders, search and rescue teams, journalists, and the Red Cross Volunteers…these people just amaze and inspire me.  I hope to be as talented and selfless as they are one day.

In the meantime I will do whatever I can to help from afar.

Care
To donate to the Haiti relief fund effort, go to Care.org or call 1-800-521-CARE.

American Red Cross
To donate: Go to RedCross.org, hit donate now button at top and then International Response Fund or call 1-800-Red-Cross.

Medecins sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders)
To donate, go to doctorswithoutborders.org or call 1-888-392-0392.

1. January 13, 2010 8:31 pm

I only just heard about this, from my Journalism class. It truly is terrible. You’ve got such beautiful thoughts, on wanting to do whatever you can to help. I think you ARE as great as those Red Cross Volunteers and journalists, etc.

2. January 14, 2010 4:37 am

I had to stop watching the news as it was breaking my heart… I simply can’t imagine ever going through something like that. The sheer agony of it seems unfathomable. I’m lucky where I live… the worst we get is a bad thunderstorm. No hurricanes, no tsunamis, no quakes… I take it for granted, but it’s times like this that really put things into perspective. I want to do something to help, as well…

3. January 14, 2010 5:21 am

This is a great post Ameena. It is unbelievable what is going on. It is so tragic and it really struck me that these people are living on the streets…no food..no water…children are buried under rubble. It is something difficult to “truly” understand unless there…its nice to see the countries pull together somewhat in an effort to “help” their neighbors.

4. January 14, 2010 5:27 am

Sometimes you just wonder why God deals such a devastating blow on a country already in devastation. It was heart-wrenching to look at the news. In our little capacity to help, I guess we can donate to the Red Cross and other aid organizations, and pray for God’s mercy to be with the country.

5. January 14, 2010 5:38 am

Our neighbor’s father lives in the town that was hit and is now homeless. Everyone, please donate, if you can.

6. January 14, 2010 6:04 am

It’s so sad. You summed up my feelings beautifully. Thanks for getting the word out on how to donate. My prayers are with the people of Haiti.

7. Danielle permalink
    January 14, 2010 6:08 am

What happened was terrible 😦 My thoughts are with the people of Haiti

8. January 14, 2010 6:14 am

I know…I had to stop watching the news because the footage was so, so heartbreaking. As someone from Louisiana, after Katrina, national disasters like this strike my heart right to the core, even more than they did before.

9. January 14, 2010 6:15 am

So so tragic. My friend’s boyfriend was in Haiti with his family and she hasn’t heard from him. We are terrified.

10. January 14, 2010 6:35 am

The devastation is terrible. I also feel like no matter what little bit I can give it’s not enough. Makes me remember how lucky I am for all the things I take for granted everyday, clean water, fresh food, a roof, medical care if I need it . . .

11. January 14, 2010 8:01 am

I KNOW … I KNOW.

My husband watches earthquakes constantly and keeps telling me LA is DUE. There is such little activity there (we have family there and it kills us too)

We live near a pretty big fault line so we are no strangers to e quakes.

watching Haiti is a wake up call to at least get as prepared as you can. Get a family plan, extra food and water and clothes and just get every one to know what to do and expect so you can function if it happens.

it’s what we do.

it’s all you can do

and I agree, the people that give so much IS inspiring. even to do LITTLE things each and every day.

12. louisianagrown permalink
    January 14, 2010 8:29 am

My eyes just teared up. I have been avoiding the news, since I am a ninny and can’t stand to see all of it. How I wish I could be there helping.

13. January 14, 2010 9:19 am

Oh gosh i hear ya girl. Its such a scary thought to think about. My heart and prayers are going out to those people and I hope the best for them. Thanks for the links on how to help!

14. January 14, 2010 12:42 pm

What a thoughtful, insightful post…I know, we really need to be doing all we can. Good for you for encouraging others to help!

January 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Its been the front page of the paper both today and yesterday. So awful.

16. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    January 14, 2010 2:25 pm

so incredibly sad. i have been listening to the coverage on npr whenever i’m in my car, heartbreaking

17. January 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks so much for this post. I’m trying to figure out how I’ll help from here.

18. January 15, 2010 3:27 pm

I donated to Doctors Without Borders today. Thanks for the information about where to donate!

The situation in Haiti is so heartbreaking that I can hardly read about it. But at least I can help a little bit.