When in a Bind…Make Cookies

December 16, 2009

I was in a bit of a panic this afternoon because I had nothing planned to keep Maya busy for the LONG evening hours until bedtime. Who else has trouble filling these long winter nights?  I swear at 6pm it feels like midnight.  Can it be March already?

It was too cold for the park today.  And we already visited the library yesterday.  I wasn’t up for the challenge of battling for a parking spot at the mall.  And nobody was around for us to visit.  I was at a loss!

When all else fails make food, right?  So I reached into my recipe folder (aka a manilla folder with random allrecipes.com printouts and grease stained handwritten recipes) to figure out a way to keep us entertained.  Based on what we had on hand we decided to make cookies:

Thumbprint Cookies

1/2 t vanilla
1/2 c butter
1/4 c sugar
1 c flour
1/4 raspberry jam (or any jam you prefer)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Cream the butter and sugar well.
Add sifted flour and combine with a hand mixer.

Shape dough into 1″ balls and place on a cookie sheet.
Make a 1/2″ indentation and fill with jam.  This, by the way, is a great jam.

Make sure your helper has thoroughly washed her hands.

Bake 15-20 minutes.

Super easy and yet they look very time consuming!  I couldn’t have one because of the flour so instead I took deep breaths of the baking cookies and settled for a spoon of jam.  I pretended real hard I was having the real thing but needless to say it didn’t work.  Nobody said going gluten-free was going to be easy!

How do you moms keep your kids busy?  Especially in the dead of winter when the park isn’t an option?

1. December 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Omg you have to by the liz lovely cookies I sent to you in the e-mail. The cowgirl cookies taste like real cookie dough. You won’t feel left out any more!!!!

• December 17, 2009 4:47 pm

I absolutely need to try those because they look delicious!

2. December 17, 2009 3:24 am

There is a version of these cookies I make with a ton more butter, and mmmmm. Like crack I tell ya.

I don’t have kids, but in times of babysitting, I depend on the games on my iPhone!

• December 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Ali always resorts to his iphone to keep Maya entertained!

3. December 17, 2009 4:52 am

I’ve actually used this recipe before and loved it! Glad I found your blog too and thanks for the suggestion in Las vegas. Where is the Bobby Flay restaurant?

• December 17, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi – its called Mesa Grill and is at Caesar’s Palace. I loved it!

4. December 17, 2009 8:05 am

I think cooking with your daughter is so much fun…I have boys and even though my Teen has always been my kitchen helper (and still is) my toddler is following suit….

but for us, I get my yoga clothes on and we go to the play room and PLAY. coloring right now has his full attention…but other wise we play “dancey dance” and romp around..we have a blow up ball pit too and we chuck stuff in it… it started out with the balls but now it’s a beany baby toss pit.

It’s bed time before we know it.

I don’t know who has more fun…and most days he does some quiet play and I do some yoga.

it’s all good!

• December 17, 2009 4:49 pm

Cindy you are such a good mom! I find it so hard to find the patience to actually play with Maya. I don’t mind outings and cooking with her though so I try to do that kind of stuff.

5. December 17, 2009 9:16 am

You need to stop by my post today. I made cookies as well but could not sample them 😦 We are doing what is right for our bodies..LOL!

I love those cookies though 🙂

6. Lynn at The Actors Diet permalink
    December 17, 2009 5:51 pm

fun! my mom didn’t bake but i did bake as a kid by myself…probably why i don’t bake now b/c i’m lazy and traumatized!

1. Tempers Flaring « Fancy That…Fancy This