It was a bit difficult to get into the spirit of the holiday when it was 86 degrees in L.A. today. I need the cold weather to feel festive and having to drive to lunch with the air conditioning blasting wasn’t exactly what I had in mind.
This morning I contributed even more heat to our extremely warm condo by slaving over a hot stove/oven to bring my two contributions to lunch:
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese and Roasted Potatoes
The Mac and Cheese isn’t difficult but it is time consuming. Delicious though if you are in the mood to eat something with 3/4 a stick of butter. This is not healthy by any means but it gets rave reviews. Not by Ali and Maya though who prefer Annie’s version of course. Actually, they’d prefer Kraft’s version if I allowed it in the house. I don’t.
6 tablespoons of flour
6 tablespoons of butter
4 cups of uncooked macaroni
4 1/2 cups of lowfat milk (or any kind)
16 oz of shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
breadcrumbs for sprinkling on top
1. Cook the macaroni as directed on the package.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, slowly add the flour and whisk until mixed.
3. Slowly add the milk to the flour/butter mixture, stirring constantly. Turn up the heat to medium-high so the mixture starts to boil.
4. Slowly add the shredded cheddar cheese and melt into the sauce, stirring constantly.
5. Add salt and pepper.
6. Pour the sauce over the cooked macaroni. I used a 9″ X 13″ dish.
7. Top with breadcrumbs.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
I just hope the weather cools down tomorrow because the heat just makes me impatient and irritated. Another day of unseasonably hot temperatures and things could get ugly tomorrow. Let’s hope the weather cooperates.