why isn’t it easier?

April 1, 2015

I’ve been making a valiant effort to stop micromanaging Maya.

Just last Saturday, for example, I didn’t tell her to just stop eating, when she consumed all of the following in the span of 8 hours:

Maya's 10th Birthday included her first trip to Benihana, a visit to Dylan's Candy Bar, and the Madame Tussauds.

Maya’s 10th Birthday included her first trip to Benihana, a visit to Dylan’s Candy Bar, and some quality time with wax figures at Madame Tussauds.

Cereal – Two bowls at home.

Lamb Sausage – She can never turn down free Farmer’s Market samples.

Sushi – I purchased sushi for our flight to LA but Maya ate a 9 piece California Roll as a snack.

Fresh Mozzarella Antipasto / Salad with Garbanzo Beans – On our flight to LA.

Two Giant Lamb Chops and Mashed Potatoes – Also on our flight to LA.

Salted Caramel Ice Cream – Also on our flight to LA.

Half a Chocolate Chip Cookie – You guessed it…also on our flight to LA.

In LA Maya had another birthday celebration...but was too sick to enjoy. :(

In LA Maya had another birthday celebration…but was too sick to enjoy. 😦 At least her hair looked great!

When our interminable flight to LA finally concluded, Maya’s throwing up began. And throw up she did!

She threw up on 4 separate occasions: all over me, the car, herself, a Shakey’s Pizza parking lot (sorry Shakey’s), all over the car again, on a random road near my in-laws house, and all over their master bedroom. Twice.

Maya just turned 10.

I thought it’s supposed to get easier?

1. April 1, 2015 12:08 am

No. The troubles might have just begun. On the flip side, kudos for having the bubbly and optimistic girl.

• April 1, 2015 5:51 pm

Luckily for Maya she has a great personality. It makes it easier to justify cleaning up the barf…LOL

2. April 1, 2015 3:19 am

But my question is…were you eating at Shakey’s?!

• April 1, 2015 5:51 pm

Rest assured Ellen, we were only there to mess up their parking lot…I still feel really bad about it!!

3. April 1, 2015 7:10 am

Ooh! Poor Maya – and you, of course. `That lingering smell that haunts you even when it’s all cleaned up – yuk! Still, it does get easier in about 10 years when they’re responsible for themselves!! 😉 GG

• April 1, 2015 5:52 pm

Agreed. The smell is The Worst.

I fear I’ll be cleaning up Maya’s barf for at least another decade…

4. Seana permalink
    April 1, 2015 7:30 am

My my…not a good start to the trip. I remember those days. My kids were constantly puking on car trips as kids. They do eventually grow out it thankfully. There will be a bright side for you….someday 🙂

• April 1, 2015 5:52 pm

When Seana…when do they grow out of it??

• Seana permalink
      April 2, 2015 8:03 am

I probably shouldn’t tell you this because your daughter is probably older….I would say around 8. They would be in the back seat of the car and start coughing, I’d tell my husband to pull over. The 1st time he didn’t believe me. After that, he did. That was a lovely 8-9 hr ride home from New Hampshire with yack in the back 🙂

• Taking On Magazines permalink
        April 2, 2015 4:03 pm

Snicker.

• April 2, 2015 7:57 pm

So basically, we are 2 years past the possibility this will EVER end!! 😦

5. April 1, 2015 10:25 am

I’m so sorry but the only thing I got from this post is that Maya is 10!!! When did that happen?!

• April 1, 2015 5:53 pm

I can’t believe it either. Double digits is a huge milestone!

6. April 1, 2015 11:05 am

Poor kiddo! I can’t believe she’s 10! It stinks to be sick, but even worse to be sick on your birthday. However: I wish I had a kids’ metabolism again. I’d be eating every and anything, too! (I’m clearly an enabler. Sorry Ameena <3)

7. April 1, 2015 11:55 am

happy birthday Maya! Poor thing – puking is the worst. That smell DOES not come out of hair, but at least her hair IS absolutely gorgeous. 🙂

• April 1, 2015 5:54 pm

Thank you Heather! Maya lucked out in the hair department – fingers crossed she won’t be struggling with a flat iron like I do.

8. April 1, 2015 10:32 pm

Oh my. Puking sucks. Hopefully she felt better afterward!

As for the eating, perhaps there’s a growth spurt in her near future. Sometimes it is astonishing how much my children can eat. And other times, they seem to barely eat enough to survive.

9. April 2, 2015 1:19 pm

More vomit? Yikes. Maybe back to micromanaging? But if I recall correctly this is not the first incident so maybe it’s just part of being a mom.

10. April 5, 2015 10:52 pm

Happy Birthday Maya, you look lovely mA! And #solidarity with this post right here. We just survived a two week period where all THREE babies in my house threw up all the time. I can’t even imagine dealing with that on the road.

11. April 7, 2015 6:31 pm

Happy Birthday Maya! Poor kid. She probably just need a few plastic bags with her during/after a flight. Crazy. Is it motion sickness? I’m sure you’ve tried everything though. 🙂

12. Lydia permalink
    April 9, 2015 2:17 pm

Awww… I hope Maya is feeling better now. Poor girl. Happy belated birthday to Maya!

13. April 10, 2015 3:10 pm

happy belated to Maya..you have heard it from everyone but did she really turn 10? i hope she is feeling better.

14. April 14, 2015 7:48 am

Poor kiddo. Lesson learned tho – good job on not micro managing.
    This was actually one of the first lessons they taught in “Parenting with Love and Logic” — check it out if you like

• April 19, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks for the book suggestion…I need all the help I can get! 🙂

15. willgoh2 permalink
    May 1, 2015 1:17 am

It’s been a long time since I’ve commented but I just have to say: what is it about turning ten and having the need to dine at Benihana to commemorate double digits? My own daughter had the same choice for running ten six months ago. Benihana is like Disneylad/world, or the Nutcracker: you go twice in your life. Once as a kid, another as a parent.

Happy birthday Maya! (Sorry to read you had to deal with all the vomiting.)

• May 1, 2015 5:36 pm

We’ve seen The Nutcracker 1,000 times and yet Maya still wants to go … every year. It’s a great show but I’m sort of at my limit!

As is the case with Benihana….

16. July 15, 2015 10:52 am