keeping it classy

September 18, 2014

Approximately 2 years ago I purchased two new lamps for our master bedroom.

I made this purchase in an effort to make our hideously old-fashioned master look marginally better to potential renters.

(In case you weren’t aware, home décor is NOT my strong point).

Lunch at our favorite Tommy Bahama where you can buy a pair of chinos AND enjoy a filet of salmon, all at once.

The lamps (Ralph Lauren by way of HomeGoods) looked pretty good, but every time I passed by them I thought, “I really need to remove the price tag.”

I thought about this:

• As a potential renter came back to our place for a second look.
  • As that particular renter came back to sign a lease.
  • As we (or rather, I) packed up the lamps for the move from LA to NYC.
  • As we (or rather, I) unpacked the lamps in our NYC apartment.
  • As we (I’ll spare you) packed the lamps again for a move across the city to our new apartment.
  • As we unpacked the lamps in our current NYC apartment.
  • As we filed a claim with the movers for breaking one lamp.
  • As we placed the newly mismatched lamp on Ali’s side of the bed, and threw what was deemed my broken lamp into the trash.
  • As I walk by the lone remaining lamp in our new NYC apartment.
  • As I wrote this really meaningless post.

I can't seem to take a picture with my mouth open...Maya can't seem to take one with her mouth closed.

Now that there’s only one lamp I’m hoping I can find the energy to cut off one HomeGoods tag, as opposed to the two that somehow seemed like an insurmountable task.

In the meantime we’re just keeping things classy.

1. September 18, 2014 8:14 am

Nice! I often walk around with price tags still on my clothes. I honestly just forget, but I tell people I like them to know how much I spend on my clothes…..

• September 20, 2014 3:45 pm

I usually just rip off the tags from my clothes – no scissors needed! Involving scissors seems to be my hang up…

2. September 18, 2014 8:30 pm

You made me smile 🙂

3. September 18, 2014 11:34 pm

You Do realise that people are now commenting on a post about lamps and price tags?

The power you hold over us …..

• September 20, 2014 3:45 pm

LOL. Sorry for the most random topic ever…but I felt the time had come. 🙂

4. September 19, 2014 3:04 am

I hate when it occurs to me that something that isn’t that hard has been postponed for a huge amount of time. If it was important they’d be snipped. We need lunch, speaking of not getting things done (lunch > impt than lamps).

• September 20, 2014 3:46 pm

I just emailed you back RE: lunch. Way more important than my lamp tags…

5. September 19, 2014 2:40 pm

i agree with razwana 🙂

6. September 20, 2014 8:42 am

This post has lots to it. First, it tells me that chic, upscale women like you (yes, you totally are!!) also shop at HomeGoods which made me realize being spotted at Ross or Homegoods needn’t be an embarrassment after all. And then, the home (or house?) hopping – lots of similarities. Again, relieved to know I’m not the only one that took forever deciding where to build her nest. Houston apartment to Houston home. Then, Dallas apartment, back to Houston home, then to Dallas apartment and then Dallas home. Finally, cross country to Bay area rented home now and eventually one fine day to Bay Area (own)home? And finally, the price tag. True that. I have wall art that made the journey all around with me and is still sitting bubble-wrapped in the coat closet – price tag intact :)!

• September 20, 2014 3:48 pm

So nice of you to refer to me as upscale MWAD…truly! I think HomeGoods is a great place and I’ve found some fantastic things there that people have actually admired! Which is a huge relief since I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to home décor.

The Bay Area must be so different from Texas…chilly! I’m guessing you are happy there? 🙂

• September 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Boy! summer has been very warm here. Still undecided about getting my fall decorations out. But on the whole, love it here 🙂

• September 21, 2014 5:06 am

SF is a beautiful city and I hear Sept is the warmest month there! Enjoy because the fog will be back before you know it. 🙂

7. September 21, 2014 12:05 am

I love Home Goods, especially for buying blogging props. 🙂
    So reasonable.

• September 26, 2014 6:23 am

So reasonable…and everything is organized so well!

8. September 23, 2014 5:26 pm

oh this is too funny. but i think i laughed hardest at the mouth / photo comment, hahaah.

• September 26, 2014 6:24 am

Maya and I need tips on how to take a good photo. 🙂

9. Lydia permalink
    September 25, 2014 8:58 am

Haha.. I know what you mean. I love to decorate my house, however since I have no more time to do that, any mismatch item will do too 🙂

• September 26, 2014 5:05 am

I wish I loved to decorate my house…would make life so much easier…

10. September 28, 2014 10:14 pm

“I can’t seem to take a picture with my mouth open…Maya can’t seem to take one with her mouth closed.”

^ This comment! Haha, so cute though!

11. October 2, 2014 9:02 pm

Spot on with this write-up, I actually believe this site needs a
    great deal more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the information!

12. October 13, 2014 6:02 am

Hello,I ԝant to sսbscribe for tis webpaɡe to take latest updates, thus
    where can i do it please help.

13. October 14, 2014 5:58 pm

I really the way you caption your pictures😊
    What a brilliant and witty post.
    Zainab.

14. October 15, 2014 7:38 pm

The demand is driven bby people who desire to look lighter.

A beautiful skin is among the most important assets of the vital personality.
    Thhe vinegar can be applied diretly for the afected area.

15. Med permalink
    November 12, 2014 5:25 pm

Lol, can I please get a copy of the “be nice on FaceTime” essay?