a little shopping

April 3, 2013

I’m sure I’ve already mentioned that I’m not much of a shopper. Ali is even less of a shopper. Together we are two people who should NOT go shopping.

And yet we did exactly that last week.

Our shopping excursion was the result of the following: I was in NY and had some time on my hands, I had a gift card to Saks 5th Ave burning a hole in my wallet, Saks was only a 5 minute walk from our hotel, and since Ali had no more meetings, calls, or unanswered emails left to address, he insisted on joining me.

Scallops at Dos Caminos (delicious), Salmon at Whym (delicious), Breakfast at Raffles (not delicious), Crabcakes at Tra Dici (delicious)!

Scallops at Dos Caminos (delicious), Salmon at Whym (delicious), Breakfast at Raffles (not delicious), Crabcakes at Tre Dici (delicious)!

The painful 45 minutes went something like this:

Me: “What do you think of these jeans? Is the texture odd?”

Ali: “They look okay to me.”

Me: “Do they look good or just okay?”

Ali: “Is there a difference?”

Me: “Yes there is. The difference being that I don’t want to have a complex every time I wear them.”

Ali: “I’m not overly thrilled with them, if that’s what you’re asking. But if you like them then go for it.”

On our hotel room's balcony, amazing glimpse of a landmark, in Rockefeller Center

On our hotel room’s balcony, amazing glimpse of a landmark, at Rockefeller Center

I’ll spare you the rest of our lengthy dressing room conversation and jump to the ending instead: I bought the jeans even though I know I’ll question my decision every time I wear them. I did this mostly because I knew there was a high probability I wouldn’t see the inside of a Saks again for months.

So if you ever see me wearing a pair of black, faux-suede jeans? Don’t be surprised if I awkwardly hit you up for your opinion.

1. April 3, 2013 1:58 am

If it is black and vegetarian ( the faux bit) I think they sound great. That’s the goth vegetarian in me speaking;)

• April 3, 2013 8:23 pm

I couldn’t wear real suede pants…although I do wear leather purses. But somehow that seems acceptable!

2. April 3, 2013 4:29 am

Are they the jeans in the pic shown above? If so, they look great ! You guys are such a cute couple

• April 3, 2013 8:23 pm

No, I haven’t worn them yet. Can’t commit to taking the tags off!

3. April 3, 2013 4:39 am

I hate when I can’t decide about a piece of clothing, and sometimes another person’s opinion (or lack of one) just muddles the whole thing. I can’t imagine you not looking good in something though! Saks…haven’t been there in Years!!

4. April 3, 2013 5:19 am

I like that you purchased them instead of leaving the gift card to burn more holes in your wallet!

• April 3, 2013 8:24 pm

I had a feeling that I might lose the gift card if I didn’t use it!

5. April 3, 2013 5:57 am

I’d love to have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room. Too funny.

• April 3, 2013 8:24 pm

We have some seriously useless conversations…and that was one of them! 🙂

6. April 3, 2013 6:21 am

Haha, again, Ali sounds like Vishnu! Whatever! You rock those jeans, Ameena!

7. Alissa permalink
    April 3, 2013 6:24 am

Speaking as someone who owns a very similar pair of pants, and is therefore not biased in the least–I love these pants! The texture makes them “interesting”, instead of just another pair of black pants. Purchase approved 😉

• April 3, 2013 8:25 pm

Thank you Alissa! So glad to have your stamp of approval…I was definitely on the fence with the texture.

8. April 3, 2013 6:57 am

I know my answer already -“They look AWESOME!!”

My husband and I stopped shopping together. The drill that made us do that, went like this – Pick a bunch of stuff. Then eliminate until choices boil down to two. Finally pick one – and both of us would end up pointing opposite ones. Clothes, Shoes, Luggage, kids’ stuff ……. ditto! The only thing we ‘had’ to shop together was our house LOL!

• April 3, 2013 8:25 pm

I actually bought our first condo while Ali was out of the country. Best purchase ever! 🙂

9. April 3, 2013 7:15 am

hahaha – I often have the same “Do I love it?” dilemma when shopping. I also don’t enjoy shopping, so sometimes I get stuck with having to buy something even though I don’t love it because I’ve left the shopping till the last minute and desperately need an item to wear for a particular occasion.

• April 3, 2013 8:26 pm

Last minute purchases really throw me into a frenzy. I can never find what I want when pressured!

10. April 3, 2013 7:29 am

His response is awesome! I am guessing he doesn’t distinguish between much of your wardrobe. If I had one shot at Saks I would definitely not take Glenn with me, he would spend the gift card before I could!

• April 3, 2013 8:27 pm

Is Glenn more of a shopper than you? Too funny.

I could wear the same outfit every day and Ali would never notice!

11. April 3, 2013 7:42 am

haha.. believe it or not I have a girlfriend who does that to me. She’ll be like, ‘it’s cute.” and I’m like is it cute or OMG? So I never buy anything if she says it’s cute, Those scallops at Dos look amazing.. I’ll keep that in mind the next time I dine there. You look amazing in that picture on the terrace.. white looks so pretty and classy on you. How do you make those square boxes with all the food?
    Lunch was so much fun Ameena… thanks for a great talk. 🙂

• April 3, 2013 8:28 pm

The scallops were amazing, definitely try them out Nisha.

And I use InstaFun to make my picture collages…it’s really a great iPhone App.

Looking forward to our next lunch and talk. Hopefully soon. 🙂

12. April 3, 2013 7:59 am

I love shopping, but I don’t really enjoy doing it with other people. I bet the jeans are awesome.
    I never end up shopping when I’m in NYC. Too many places and options. It overwhelms me.

• April 3, 2013 8:28 pm

NYC is the only place I go shopping because when I’m walking around I randomly find stores (like Saks) that I realize I need to go to!

13. April 3, 2013 8:14 am

I dunno, I think you guys are pretty cute and shopping together sounds like fun!

14. April 3, 2013 8:47 am

Ooohh! Daring purchase but I’m sure they look great on you!! I WISH I didn’t like shopping and I WISH I could do it at Saks!

• April 3, 2013 8:29 pm

I wish I could hire a personal shopper…wouldn’t that be the ultimate luxury?

15. April 3, 2013 9:16 am

I have stopped shopping with my husband, but can’t avoid it if we are on holiday. Then it becomes just pure agony, we end up giving each other ‘ I don’t like you very much right now!’ stares. At this point one of us walks out of the store! At least you guys stuck to the end and you bought something! Great pictures!

• April 3, 2013 8:29 pm

I give Ali those stares every day…for any reason at all! 🙂

Thank you for the compliment. 🙂

16. April 3, 2013 9:53 am

I am sure you will look great in it 🙂 I making a quick trip to NY this weekend and will probably burn a hole in my wallet and bank account to last a long time.

• April 3, 2013 8:30 pm

So envious of your trip to NY! Please go have something amazing at Dos Caminos…

17. April 3, 2013 10:34 am

I don’t mind shopping for things like food, but I HATE clothes shopping with a passion 🙂

• April 3, 2013 8:30 pm

I agree! I don’t mind shopping at Trader Joe’s…when it’s not rush hour, of course.

18. Lydia permalink
    April 3, 2013 10:44 am

Haha… I never go clothes (or shoes) shopping with my husband again, I tried once and it’s an emotional ordeal 😉
    Love the pic of you and Ali. I’m looking forward to see your new jeans makes an appearance in this blog.

19. Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles permalink
    April 3, 2013 1:01 pm

I ahe taking. My husband with me when I go clothes shopping. I only made that mistake once and came out looking like finger paints exploded in my closet (apparently I wear too much black…)

• Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles permalink
      April 3, 2013 1:01 pm

Was supposed to say I hate taking my husband shopping…stupid auto fill.

• April 3, 2013 8:31 pm

Finger paints! I love the visual.

I am a huge proponent for all black ensembles…it’s my usual uniform!

20. April 3, 2013 3:16 pm

Oh that’s hilarious! And I totally get this – I rampantly ask strange women for their opinion ‘coz hubby’s opinion is more like a ‘meh’ opinion. There’s a reason there is some truth to the whole Venus and Mars thing. How lovely to be in NYC though!!!

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

• April 3, 2013 8:32 pm

Strange women are the most objective, right? I think it’s a brilliant plan Devaki. 🙂

21. April 3, 2013 9:21 pm

Hahaha “The difference being that I don’t want to have a complex every time I wear them.”–> too funny, Ameena and as a fellow female, I get it completely! Regardless of how much a piece of clothing costs, it damn right better look amazing on! And for what it’s worth I’m sure the jeans look fabulous on you…I haven’t gotten the guts to wear faux-suede jeans yet but they sure are HAWT!

• April 7, 2013 8:11 pm

I haven’t gotten the guts yet either Khushboo…days later and the pants still have the tags on them!

22. April 3, 2013 10:11 pm

I’m sure those jeans will look great on you!!

23. Shauna permalink
    April 3, 2013 10:12 pm

Is there a diffence? Too funny. I love it. I noticed your breakfast “wasn’t” delicious. Bummer. Ameena, you are such a trim, gorgeous woman, how could the pants not look good on you? I love all of the pictures. Take care,

Shauna

• April 7, 2013 8:11 pm

Trim? Gorgeous? Thank you Shauna…you just made my evening. 🙂

24. April 4, 2013 3:37 am

I don’t love shopping/especially big stores but husband in the dressing room? Never. I do like that you purchased the jeans even though he didn’t like them. You know better, I’m sure they’re great. Did you go to the shoe floor? All shoes need their own zip code…

• April 7, 2013 8:12 pm

Of course I went to the shoe floor…didn’t buy anything, but I went!

25. April 4, 2013 1:03 pm

I’m not even a fan of going shopping with females, let alone a significant other. Slows the process down too much! I’m sure the pants will look awesome on you, though – you look good in anything!

• April 7, 2013 8:12 pm

I can’t shop with others either….I like to get in and out ASAP!

26. April 4, 2013 5:27 pm

I prefer shopping on my own. That way I don’t get any dissenting opinions.

• April 7, 2013 8:12 pm

I totally agree…no dissenting opinions are the key!

27. April 4, 2013 6:32 pm

I am a shopaholic! Jean shopping is hard for me though, takes forever, glad you found some!

• April 7, 2013 8:13 pm

Jean shopping is definitely a challenge. Like swimsuit shopping, which scares the living daylights out of me.

28. April 5, 2013 5:49 am

Lol LOVE the conversation recap. Btw, that crabcake looks delish!

29. April 5, 2013 6:42 am

People will pet your legs. Just sayin

30. April 5, 2013 7:43 am

If you ever have a gift card burning a hole in your wallet and don’t wanna spend it, let me know. I’ll be happy to take it off your hands 🙂

• April 7, 2013 8:13 pm

Sometimes they stay in my wallet for YEARS!. I swear….

31. April 5, 2013 1:38 pm

i have considered buying those! i haven’t found them in person to try them on yet though. i approve of this purchase 🙂 i bet you look great in them!

• April 7, 2013 8:14 pm

Thank you for approving Melissa! I definitely feel better about them now!

32. April 5, 2013 4:18 pm

There are very few people I can shop with, and I need to be in exactly the right mood or a meltdown will occur.
    But shopping with Ali does sound better than shopping with my dad – once my mom tried on a yellow top (that she loved)and he told her she looked like a giant banana. He clearly doesnt get it.

• April 7, 2013 8:14 pm

A giant banana? And they’re still married?

Your dad is one lucky guy….

33. April 7, 2013 5:11 am

I’m glad you bought the jeans. I bet they are cute on you!

34. seana permalink
    April 7, 2013 7:30 am

My husband and I shopping are not a great idea either. He picks things that would look great on a 5’10” model weighing 80 lbs. in weird prints that are meant for a kid in her 20’s. Me, I’m in my 40’s, am not 5″10 (a whopping 5’4″ 120 lbs.). Arghh. Not fun shopping with him. He did however, convince me to buy a pair of pants that were fake alligator or snake in red and black and I loved them and wore them forever. I just bought a dress for a wedding this summer. He loved it, so did I. But now I can’t find shoes to match and now am convinced the length is too long (aka- old ladyish). Now my question (OCD) is do I get it shortened or return it. Noting is ever easy.

• April 7, 2013 8:16 pm

If you aren’t happy with the dress I would definitely return it! I rarely tailor something because even when I do I’m usually STILL not happy with it.

And yes, Ali picks things that are meant for teenagers. I’m like, you do realize I’m 37?

35. April 7, 2013 6:45 pm

Those pants look very classy. And black goes with anything, as they say 😀

• April 7, 2013 8:16 pm

Thank you P!

And yes, I do love my black pants…as evidenced by my closet.

36. April 7, 2013 8:10 pm

I’m gonna say it again friend, that Ali needs a regular blog post on here. There’s just such hilarity going on in his mind.

PS: I’m sure you look fantastic in the pants. In fact, I hope you post pictures of all your shopping because I am in desperate need of some retail therapy.

• April 9, 2013 1:26 pm

Ali is hilarious…even funnier is that he’s unintentionally hilarious!

37. April 8, 2013 10:12 am

I really like your blog- stumbled upon this through Lynn the actor’s blog. your sense of humor is contagious. Great read for Train journeys:)

• April 9, 2013 1:27 pm

Thank you Maha! And I love your classy name…so close to Maya.

• April 9, 2013 3:08 pm

Thank you Ameena. I had a great train journey to London today, courtesy of your blog. Went past Hyde park and thought of your 2 million Dollar House overlooking Hyde Park:) I’m reading your blog from the start….Please keep up the good work. This is a great source of entertainment. waiting for your book.

• April 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Talk about my dream commute! So envious that you live in London.

And thanks for the kind words Maha!

38. April 8, 2013 11:08 pm

lol @ is there a difference hahaha…

39. April 9, 2013 5:22 am

So glad to hear you bought those jeans. I think you look good in anything.
    NYC is my favorite place to shop and dine. I was there last month, and it was awesome.
    I still have to visit Dos Caminoes. Have heard so much about this place.

• April 9, 2013 1:28 pm

I would love to hear your favorite places in NY Asmita! I’m always trying to find new places over there…

40. April 9, 2013 6:33 am

I would be much more wealthy if I didn’t like to shop. And I don’t have great taste either so it’s lose-lose! (PS So don’t ask my my opinion – it’s sure I’ll love them).

• April 9, 2013 1:28 pm

I don’t have a great taste in clothes either. Sometimes I buy stuff, wear it once, and then wonder what on earth I was thinking?

41. April 9, 2013 8:01 am

It would be soo good to meet you.
    Ameena I just love your style of writing.
    And your hubby sounds quite a bit like mine (Or are all men similar?)

• April 9, 2013 1:29 pm

It would be so great to meet you as well Z!

And yes, I think they are very similar. Especially Indian / Paki guys!

42. April 18, 2013 9:17 am

Omg. We need to go to NYC together! Love the vibe, the shopping and eats. Love everything!

• April 18, 2013 9:51 am